OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Star Ace James Dean head repaint

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Star Ace James Dean head repaint Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:31 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Seems like almost a pattern. Just as in the case of Freddie Mercury (see the customized result HERE), I have no special attachment to James Dean, but when I saw the Star Ace head parted out, I thought it had potential that even my feeble skills could improve with some repainting. The idea was to add more realism, and also to make the head skin tone match that of a TBLeague body (since I tend to make all loose heads compatible with those bodies). I tried to keep the paint subtle enough to allow some measure of transparency and not to obscure the detail of the sculpt. It matches pretty well. As for whether it is improved for realism, I think so, but as usual I don't have the sharpest eye for that sort of detail. Let me know what you think.

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Jdsa1110

I didn't pick up most of the pieces from the Cowboy or Rebel sets, and have extremely little in the way of Western gear, so I settled (for the purposes of the photos) for the more minimalist costume I've seen in some photos from the set of Giant (I don't know whether this was ever in the film or just Dean goofing around practicing his skills with the lasso and tying up Elizabeth Taylor). Of course the Star Ace hat was out of any sensible proportion (so as to fit over that slightly-too-bellowing hairdo), and normal hats wouldn't fit, so he is going to be mostly hatless.

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Jdsa0110

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Jdsa0210

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Jdsa0310

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Jdsa0410

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Jdsa0510

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Jdsa06110

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Jdsa0710

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Jdsa0810

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Jdsa0910

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Jdsa1010

And finally one for the ladies! I guess this outfit was just lending itself to this... Wink

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Jdsa1210

What do you think?

#starace #jamesdean #head #custom #kitbash #male

2Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:05 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I didn't even look twice at the original figure, but I can't stop looking at yours!! Very Happy

Seriously, that's a nice repaint, and it it has a very unique feel to it.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

3Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:40 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
I'm with Sky here, looks real pretty and nice on that body. You did a great job - I love the visualisation of tht first pic where you photographed him from all these angles. Looks cool.

That's one sexy cowboy.

4Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:21 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
nice work on the repaint!

5Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:52 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Haha! James Dean as a Chip’N’Dales dancer — nice job, Ian. Head looks a bit dark compared to the body in some shots, in others not as noticeable.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Star Ace James Dean head repaint C8485110

6Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:44 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great HS review. Not to bad likeness, but it´s really hard to nail Deans Eyes. There was something very special in his eyes.
Maybe You have to give a cigarette and a comb to him  Star Ace James Dean head repaint 1f600

7Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:27 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:I didn't even look twice at the original figure, but I can't stop looking at yours!! Very Happy Seriously, that's a nice repaint, and it it has a very unique feel to it.

Thank you very much, that is high praise indeed. I'm glad I didn't mess up the sculpt to begin with, and that I apparently improved the look, as intended.

Valiarde wrote:I'm with Sky here, looks real pretty and nice on that body. You did a great job - I love the visualisation of that first pic where you photographed him from all these angles. Looks cool. That's one sexy cowboy.

Thank you very, much I'm glad you liked it. I wasn't trying to be truly artsy, but that different-angle collage did work somewhat neatly, didn't it? And with all of those sexy female dolls proliferating all over the forum, just like you I thought we need to give the ladies something to look at. Wink

BAMComix wrote:nice work on the repaint!

Thank you very much. I approach any such project with a great deal of hesitation, especially when it comes to messing with the face itself (which I did do here). That is what you could do if you had spare Jake heads.

Stryker2011 wrote:Haha! James Dean as a Chip’N’Dales dancer — nice job, Ian. Head looks a bit dark compared to the body in some shots, in others not as noticeable.

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it. I agree, light works differently in different instances -- sometimes the head looks a little too dark, but sometimes not. The original color was far too light and bright, and there was less in the way of contrasts within the face. Being an expert in such things, do you think this is a reasonable likeness (in fact, I also find a close likeness to another actor, but I won't name him -- yet -- because once you see it, it can't be unseen).

Ephiane wrote:Great HS review. Not to bad likeness, but it´s really hard to nail Deans Eyes. There was something very special in his eyes.
Maybe You have to give  a cigarette and a comb to him   Star Ace James Dean head repaint 1f600

Thank you very much. You are probably right, though I am not enough of a Dean expert -- even if I did look at photos. Actually, I did pick up the comb and cigarettes, but I kept forgetting to use them in my photos -- the cigarettes, anyway.

8Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:13 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Honestly, I don’t really think it’s a good likeness of James to be honest — something is definitely missing. It almost has too much vibe of that useless idiot Justin Bieber.

9Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:36 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Honestly, I don’t really think it’s a good likeness of James to be honest — something is definitely missing. It almost has too much vibe of that useless idiot Justin Bieber.

Oh please, not Bieber! Anything but that! Smile But, yes, there is something off (is it the shape of the face, not triangular enough, too narrow?), although at times and from some angles one can see James Dean in it. But I also see this (before you click, consider that once you have seen it, it can't be unseen) --

Spoler Alert:

10Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:43 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GF -- I didn't see Justin Bieber at all. But then I didn't expect the person in the spoiler, either, lol. Other than his hairstyle, I think he just looks like an original character.

11Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:58 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's pretty good, not too sure about the whole shirtless cowboying but I guess even cowboys have to party at some point.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Star Ace James Dean head repaint 1f60e

12Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:53 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I see some of your choice in the lips and nose, but too narrow and off everywhere else. It was more the overall narrowness of the face and the hair that gave me the Bieb vibe — but little else. James was never all that hard to capture in the past — as there numerous paintings and statues of the guy — not sure why (or maybe I should say I’m not surprised, since Star Ace doesn’t have the best sculptors) they weren’t able to pull out a better likeness.

That being said, I’m with Sky in that he just looks like a generic guy — which is a good thing, and I’m sure he’ll fit in with your other “Romance Novel” Dudes.

13Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:21 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:

That being said, I’m with Sky in that he just looks like a generic guy — which is a good thing, and I’m sure he’ll fit in with your other “Romance Novel” Dudes.

Yeah, that's my thought too... from the looks of it, he'd be great in the 'handsome cowboy' role. ;D

14Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:19 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:GF -- I didn't see Justin Bieber at all. But then I didn't expect the person in the spoiler, either, lol. Other than his hairstyle, I think he just looks like an original character.

Thank you, that is a relief! Smile

Theboo-bomb wrote:That's pretty good, not too sure about the whole shirtless cowboying but I guess even cowboys have to party at some point.

Thank you very much. Agreed, although it is based (minus the hat and cigarette -- which I forgot) on actual photos from the set of Giant.

Star Ace James Dean head repaint Frank-Worth-James-Dean-and-Elizabeth-Taylor-on-the-set-of-22Giant22-directed-by-George-Stevens-1955-tied

Star Ace James Dean head repaint 65e9481b9d4a9224e1e1dc0aa7b17198

Stryker2011 wrote:I see some of your choice in the lips and nose, but too narrow and off everywhere else. It was more the overall narrowness of the face and the hair that gave me the Bieb vibe — but little else. James was never all that hard to capture in the past — as there numerous paintings and statues of the guy — not sure why (or maybe I should say I’m not surprised, since Star Ace doesn’t have the best sculptors) they weren’t able to pull out a better likeness. That being said, I’m with Sky in that he just looks like a generic guy — which is a good thing, and I’m sure he’ll fit in with your other “Romance Novel” Dudes.

Thank you for confirming that the narrowness of the face and shape of the head is much of what is throwing it off. And, yes, Star Ace have been called "Star Disgrace" in regards to their head sculpts. Smile Now if only I had what I need to kitbash a cowgirl, we'd be in business for another romantic cover. Wink

skywalkersaga wrote:Yeah, that's my thought too... from the looks of it, he'd be great in the 'handsome cowboy' role. ;D

Yep... see above. Smile

15Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:02 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, instead of a cowgirl, you could always check out AjClothier’s store for an Old West era dress and blouse for a “common” woman — like a schoolmarm, or farmer; at one time I saw she had made a Saloon Girl. Any of those would fit in your Romance series.

16Star Ace James Dean head repaint Empty Re: Star Ace James Dean head repaint Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:45 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Well, instead of a cowgirl, you could always check out AjClothier’s store for an Old West era dress and blouse for a “common” woman — like a schoolmarm, or farmer; at one time I saw she had made a Saloon Girl. Any of those would fit in your Romance series.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm exploring it as I type, although I'm distracted by the medieval stuff. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum