OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Mon 29 Mar 2021 - 23:20

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Sensing that I'm on the right track with my indoor dio building and my attempts at creating rocks and vegetation, the next step in the test process was to get something to simulate a blue sky. For this I selected a 4.5' roll of my favorite brand seamless paper, Savage #31, Blue Jay.  

The photo was shot with a single camera mounted Nikon SB700 speedlight bounced into the ceiling, at 400 ISO, f.8.0  I had to do a bit of adjustment in Photoshop because I only used one flash instead of my usual two.  You can judge the results for yourselves, but I quite like the effect.  

Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots 51082973827_c0c8967c37_bBlue Backdrop test by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

The next step is to build up a lot more rocks and vegetation for the background.

2Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Tue 30 Mar 2021 - 0:35

davidd

davidd
Your team is reasonably well camouflaged in this green and tan environment!

The rooted foliage looks fantastic! The rock-work is quite convincing!

3Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Tue 30 Mar 2021 - 4:31

BAMComix

BAMComix
Fantastic choice for the backdrop Gary! It looks great! It works so well with the environment you have created Very Happy . Can't wait to see K-troop on their adventures! bounce bounce bounce

4Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Tue 30 Mar 2021 - 11:24

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Dang, that's gonna work really nicely.

5Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 10:49

Ovy

Ovy
Yeah very simple and effective for your hot climates. Would be even better wit a slight, light colour transition.

6Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 11:04

Valiarde

Valiarde
Looking good - have you tried spraying some water (or Glycerine) on the foliage? Would probably give it a nice rain forest look, if you are going for that.

The plants and rock look nice and the lighting is very even with your bounced flashlight.

7Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 11:26

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
It's looking great! The foliage and the faux rocks look excellent together. Agree with Ovy that the blue background being slightly lighter towards the 'horizon' would make it even more convincing.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

8Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 11:35

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ovy wrote:Yeah very simple and effective for your hot climates. Would be even better wit a slight, light colour transition.

That's easily achievable by using a second flash at the bottom of the seamless roll, pointed either downwards or parallel to the ground. I did not do it this time because I had only enough fresh batteries for one flash unit. I could have pulled out my studio light gear of course, but that seemed lie a lot of trouble for this one test shot.

9Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 11:36

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
skywalkersaga wrote:It's looking great! The foliage and the faux rocks look excellent together. Agree with Ovy that the blue background being slightly lighter towards the 'horizon' would make it even more convincing.

I agree. See my comment below.

10Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 11:40

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Valiarde wrote:Looking good - have you tried spraying some water (or Glycerine) on the foliage? Would probably give it a nice rain forest look, if you are going for that.

The plants and rock look nice and the lighting is very even with your bounced flashlight.  

We use a water and glycerin mixture normally, sprayed from a small atomizer. I didn't think to do this, however there are a couple of reasons why i doubt I will. Chiefly, the difficulty of cleaning up after shooting.

11Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 22:44

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's ingenious and looks good too.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots 1f60e

12Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 23:44

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Theboo-bomb wrote:That's ingenious and looks good too.

Thank-you. I really like it also.

13Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Fri 2 Apr 2021 - 16:07

collectorofmany

collectorofmany
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots 51082973827_c0c8967c37_b

Wow! This looks very good! Quite a convincing sky! Great job on the foliage and rock work as well!

14Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Sun 4 Apr 2021 - 16:55

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
This really does look excellent. The sky is great, and I love the rocks and foliage. I was going to make the same comment others have made on the gradation of color. My instinct would have been to add that with spraypaint or something, so when you said you could do it with light, I was immediately so curious to see that effect!

15Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Empty Re: Blue Sky for Indoor Photo Shoots Tue 6 Apr 2021 - 16:11

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ReverendSpooky wrote:This really does look excellent.  The sky is great, and I love the rocks and foliage.  I was going to make the same comment others have made on the gradation of color.  My instinct would have been to add that with spraypaint or something, so when you said you could do it with light, I was immediately so curious to see that effect!

The effect of graduation of the sky's color or lightness is most easily achieved by using an flash or light unit down at the bottom of the seamless roll, well below the table top itself. It has the advantage of being adjustable so that you can get just right....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum