OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Empty Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:20 pm

Eekumbokum

Eekumbokum
In my last thread, I talked about 1/6 eye detail and how it could be pushed forward. Well, this thread is the other side of that coin where style takes the front stage.

I stumbled upon this artist sometime last year and was blown away by the variety of emotional range of her head sculpts that she makes from scratch. Not only custom head sculpts but fully realized characters with their own clothes, hair, and bodies from the barbie lines or even TBLeague. She really loves her work but sadly due to some health care complications that had to halt her Etsy store and work. I'm hoping it's not the end but unfortunately, her recovery is not certain looking at how long she hasn't posted any new updates. Here are some samples of the many characters she has created over the years.

Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Dazima10

Take a look at her Flickr portfolio if you want to see more!

https://www.flickr.com/people/dazi_may/

Smile

2Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Empty Re: Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:20 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
These characters look phenomenal indeed. Yes, they do have a certain caricature-like quality, but they do have amazing detail and ... character.

3Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Empty Re: Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:09 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
How delightful! Thank you so much for sharing these unique creations! cheers

Very sorry to hear of her health complications though. Sad

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Empty Re: Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:45 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Those are interesting but as Gubernator said, a bit cartoonish. Not that it is a bad thing I'm sure a skilled a sculptor can draw inspiration from it.

The old man sort of looks like that "diabetus" guy.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls 1f60e

5Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Empty Re: Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:33 pm

Eekumbokum

Eekumbokum
Theboo-bomb wrote:Those are interesting but as Gubernator said, a bit cartoonish. Not that it is a bad thing I'm sure a skilled a sculptor can draw inspiration from it.

The old man sort of looks like that "diabetus" guy.

I feel that her male characters don't have the same pop that the female ones have, and yes I have to agree with the "diabetus" guy lol

6Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Empty Re: Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:38 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
One of the reasons these figures have so much character is because of the expressions... she makes it so not only their facial expressions are lively, but also that their eyes are 'smiling'. This is achieved in large part by the shape of the eyelids. And in comparison, the reason why a lot of mass-produced 1/6 scale heads seem to be sort of blankly staring off into space, is not solely because of the way the eyes are painted or applied, but also because of the lack of expression in the shape of the eyes/eyelids themselves.

7Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Empty Re: Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:05 pm

brassco

brassco
Emotions are something we need with the current stock of HSs. I applaud her work and dedication in creating such masterpiece!

8Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Empty Re: Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:28 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
skywalkersaga wrote:One of the reasons these figures have so much character is because of the expressions... she makes it so not only their facial expressions are lively, but also that their eyes are 'smiling'. This is achieved in large part by the shape of the eyelids. And in comparison, the reason why a lot of mass-produced 1/6 scale heads seem to be sort of blankly staring off into space, is not solely because of the way the eyes are painted or applied, but also because of the lack of expression in the shape of the eyes/eyelids themselves.

Agreed! I really hate that so many sculpts in the hobby have such severe and angry looking expressions. I mean, I get that for soldier or warrior characters most folk want them to look intense but I wish there was more variety!

9Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Empty Re: Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:58 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Lynkhart wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:One of the reasons these figures have so much character is because of the expressions... she makes it so not only their facial expressions are lively, but also that their eyes are 'smiling'. This is achieved in large part by the shape of the eyelids. And in comparison, the reason why a lot of mass-produced 1/6 scale heads seem to be sort of blankly staring off into space, is not solely because of the way the eyes are painted or applied, but also because of the lack of expression in the shape of the eyes/eyelids themselves.

Agreed! I really hate that so many sculpts in the hobby have such severe and angry looking expressions. I mean, I get that for soldier or warrior characters most folk want them to look intense but I wish there was more variety!

Yes.... the 'variety' at the moment (amongst female headsculpts, at least) seems to consist of 'intense battle face', 'blank dead staring', or 'attempt at looking sultry'.

Would be nice to have some cheerful/happy looking folks... such as for scenes of friends just hanging out together (not all of us have been able to embrace FaceApp, lol). I recall there have been some weird grinning female heads, but those failed to convey the smiling eyes and so just ended up looking even more uncanny.  ;p

10Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Empty Re: Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:34 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Lynkhart wrote:

That’s why I like what Facepool has been doing since coming on the scene with their loose head sculpts — even though I don’t have that many, at least they are trying something that other companies are not.

The above sculpts from this lady (hopefully she gets better soon), as skywalkersaga pointed out, work because the “smiles” reach the eyes — most of the smiling sculpts out there this isn’t the case, and makes the sculpt look like a psychopath. Creepy.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Dazi May and her amazing ooak dolls C8485110

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum