OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

UNSC Marines

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1UNSC Marines Empty UNSC Marines Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:19 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
A buddy of mine hooked me up with a couple sets of 3D printed UNSC Halo Marine armor, and some weapons from the Halo games.

I painted them, rigged up some carriers for the armour out of hockey tape, grosgrain ribbon and paper towel.
UNSC Marines 51140061048_57cace8f80_c
UNSC Marines 51140949760_baa1dc533a_c
UNSC Marines 51140621279_5e2c42f174_c
UNSC Marines 51140621184_892b0f7380_c

I lined the under side of the armour and inside of the helmet with some fake leather I had kicking around for some extra stability and cushion.

I used some paper clip, with the tips daubed in glue and painted for the microphones. and a piece of clear soda bottle for a drop-down eyepiece.

I also replaced the strapping on an old ALICE ruck I had. More grosgrain ribbon, and paper towel rolled/folded and covered in hockey tape for the cushion band.
UNSC Marines 51140061108_ae2a8edca2_c
UNSC Marines 51140061058_57305edb2c_c
UNSC Marines 51140621179_376d7e9ff4_c

Had a lot of fun putting these guys together. Still have some tweaking (and minor repairs) to do. Have to make some liners with chinstraps for the helmets, and I may do some personalization and customization of the armour later on, too.

Enough shop talk! Here's the pics!

UNSC Marines 51135961421_b8d0d4e354_c
UNSC Marines 51135961431_0a45058dbc_c
UNSC Marines 51137073580_429f92b703_c
UNSC Marines 51135288067_1f0df67b9a_c

2UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:55 pm

thegreatshaggy

thegreatshaggy
affraid affraid affraid affraid

Okay, you got to spill the beans for your friend. Did he do these himself? Did he pick them up? I know LHS had weapons on Shapeway and some helmets but not UNSC armor. Sorry for all the questions but this is the first I've seen UNSC Troops since an attempt at some ODSTs on OSW six-seven years ago. Always wanted some troops to be around my 3A Master Chief.

3UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:06 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
thegreatshaggy wrote:affraid affraid affraid affraid

Okay, you got to spill the beans for your friend. Did he do these himself? Did he pick them up? I know LHS had weapons on Shapeway and some helmets but not UNSC armor. Sorry for all the questions but this is the first I've seen UNSC Troops since an attempt at some ODSTs on OSW six-seven years ago. Always wanted some troops to be around my 3A Master Chief.

Haha well from what he told me, he got some files from the game and tinkered with them. Scaled and did other tweaking, then ran them through his 3D Printer.

The plastic is pretty brittle. It's like cutting eggshells when shaping and adjusting stuff on the helmets.

4UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:47 pm

thegreatshaggy

thegreatshaggy
PickleMunkey wrote:Haha well from what he told me, he got some files from the game and tinkered with them. Scaled and did other tweaking, then ran them through his 3D Printer.

The plastic is pretty brittle. It's like cutting eggshells when shaping and adjusting stuff on the helmets.

Eggshells, ouch. I remember doing something similar to a custom set of Mandalorian armor way back in the day. Flimsy and difficult to work it. Great work all BTW

5UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:49 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
thegreatshaggy wrote:
PickleMunkey wrote:Haha well from what he told me, he got some files from the game and tinkered with them. Scaled and did other tweaking, then ran them through his 3D Printer.

Eggshells, ouch. I remember doing something similar to a custom set of Mandalorian armor way back in the day. Flimsy and difficult to work it. Great work all BTW

Appreciate it!

We're sorta brainstorming and with his approach to this, think he's gonna try and make them workable for 6" figures as well. Gonna be incorporating plastic with a bit more flex to it which will greatly come in handy.

Aw man Mandalorian stuff is so darn fun, too.

6UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:04 pm

Chip

Fantastic upgrades and custom work , these look awesome . Really well done P.M , I am well impressed . bounce

7UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:09 pm

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Chip wrote:Fantastic upgrades and custom work , these look awesome . Really well done P.M , I am well impressed . bounce

Thanks a lot Chip!

8UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:39 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Work and excellent outdoor pictures !

9UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:53 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Yay awesome job again. Beautiful feeling when the armor just fits the figure, right?
I never played the game so they remind me of starship troopers/warhammer imperial guard.Very Happy

When I was looking for some Sci Fi looking /astronaut armor,  I stumbled upon many many Halo models on Thingiverse. Some low poly, some very good and detailed. I once SLA printed a backplate of a regular Halo Marine, and although the print failed on one edge (my fault)  it came out quite thick and sturdy enough. I stopped trying to print eggshell armor though. I can take a look if I find a link to the files again.

10UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:11 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Impressive work, as always! I'm continuously amazed by what you do with that hockey tape. I need to pick some of that up, methinks... :'D

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

11UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:49 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
They do remind me, too, of Starship Troopers and I think that's a good thing, because I liked those. Very nicely done. And I'm glad to see that you are staying loyal to the national material of choice (hockey tape).

12UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:08 pm

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
That is an awesome mash-up of modern military attire with more futuristic accents. I was also going to make the comparison to the gear worn by the soldiers in Starship Troopers, but others familiar with the film have already made the connection. That's the perfect barren landscape for them, too; I can see their camouflage being able to easily blend in with their surroundings in that area.

13UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:57 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Very cool! they look ready for anything!

14UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:13 am

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Wow, this is so awesome looking, and I don't even play Halo or really care to! Love the custom pieces on the AOR camo; works well together and looks both futuristic and lived-in.

I'm going to be a little contrarian here (flame suit on! pale ) and say that I hated the Starship Troopers movies and so this does not remind me of it at all because I've blocked it from my memory! I loved that book growing up and the movie was just a travesty... where were the mechanized suits? I've read someone's planning a reboot more faithful to the novel so fingers crossed!

Anyway, I digress. Love the use of hockey tape. Dare I say it's the duct tape of 1/6?
skywalkersaga wrote:Impressive work, as always! I'm continuously amazed by what you do with that hockey tape. I need to pick some of that up, methinks... :'D
As a former player myself, just be aware that there are a few types of tape. Old schoolers like me used to put the black, sticky tape on our blades (anybody else remember this stuff?), which I think would be a poor choice for 1/6 unless you want sticky residue all over your project. That stuff is actually now harder to find, so "regular white tape" (which actually comes in tons of colors, including black) is probably what you'll get (FYI it's what we put on our shafts for grip, but players these days tape their blades with it too). If you go into a pro shop and they ask you which type, just make sure you say "not the sticky one!"

15UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:48 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Thanks a lot for checking this out, folks!

There are definitely some similarities between the Halo Marines and the Starship Troopers, with a mix of Aliens USCM marines thrown in also. Part of the Starship armor was actually re-use from Power Rangers.

It's funny that the Starship Troopers cartoon was actually a bit more faithful to the books than the movies...

But yeah, definitely get the grip tape over the blade tape!

I was productive yesterday.
UNSC Marines 51141275882_e804c51b3d_c
UNSC Marines 51141953241_8ab5cdc125_c
UNSC Marines 51141275887_65b0fde0f9_c
Making helmet liners.

Can hardly tell that the microphone section of the green helmet had broken into two pieces and there was a huge crack down the side! It'll be nice when my buddy uses some sturdier material, haha.

16UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:43 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the closer look. Grip hockey tape on my list. Smile

17UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:02 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I'm sorry I missed this originally. Looking really good, PickleMunkey. I'm really enjoying what you've done so far, and the pictures are really cool -- especially the "in the field" ones. Your continued use of hockey tape is always fun to see what you come up with next.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

UNSC Marines C8485110

18UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:44 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Cheers Mark, thanks man!

19UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:43 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Those are some cool looking marines for sure, great work on the backpack and the helmet straps too. The armor looks great.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! UNSC Marines 1f60e

20UNSC Marines Empty Re: UNSC Marines Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:57 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Theboo-bomb wrote:Those are some cool looking marines for sure, great work on the backpack and the helmet straps too. The armor looks great.

Thanks! I know I'm gonna have some fun with these guys for sure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum