OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
With some serious apologies to the Monty Python crew....

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51199107571_e41481d73e_bPage_1 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51198398027_33224da753_bPage_2 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51199106911_904792e976_bPage_3 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51199884814_6e8d79b264_bPage_4 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51199106191_9947ce5925_bPage_5 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51198395987_bdc685bd2c_bPage_6 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51199316348_65e691e476_bPage_7 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

davidd

davidd
Laura looks so cuuute in that flying helmet!  On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 1f60d  On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 2665

(Indeed... so very cute that I felt compelled to track down said flying helmet. Embarassed )

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
davidd wrote:Laura looks so cuuute in that flying helmet!  On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 1f60d  On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 2665

(Indeed... so very cute that I felt compelled to track down said flying helmet. Embarassed )

The goggles are not the correct ones however

davidd

davidd
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
davidd wrote:Laura looks so cuuute in that flying helmet!  On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 1f60d  On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 2665

So I discovered. The set I purchased did not include goggles either. But... not that Nora LeValle would intentionally copy Laura Neville's personal style or anything... I was able to find the same "military police" tinted goggles... which actually look better than the originals, if "historical accuracy" is not required.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
davidd wrote:
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:

So I discovered. The set I purchased did not include goggles either. But... not that Nora LeValle would intentionally copy Laura Neville's personal style or anything... I was able to find the same "military police" tinted goggles... which actually look better than the originals, if "historical accuracy" is not required.

The originals are a real pain, which is why I'm not using them. Like you said, historical accuracy not required. I was thinking the riposte might come from the flying nun squadron....

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Well that's some slang if I've ever read some, Laura really needs to build an air raid siren, maybe set up a few more AA guns around.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 1f60e

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Theboo-bomb wrote:Well that's some slang if I've ever read some, Laura really needs to build an air raid siren, maybe set up a few more AA guns around.

I stole almost all of it from a Monty Python sketch called "RAF" Banter, substituting only a few words here and there to keep it relevant to K-Troop.

Adeno

They're very cute Very Happy

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That was fun to read. A bit of wackiness is always a joy.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts C8485110

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:That was fun to read. A bit of wackiness is always a joy.

It's something I've been itching to do for a while now.

blackpool

blackpool
very cool set up and figures, and super fun photostory! thanks for sharing!

Ovy

Ovy
Haha yeah I had to think of Monty Python too. Totally fits your troop. Great posing and photogsGraphy as always.

As a kid I visited a swiss air force base. We learned they used some coded accent/language of French, Italian, and swiss German for long range communication,  only the pilots and some air force crew can understand it.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ovy wrote:Haha yeah I had to think of Monty Python too. Totally fits your troop. Great posing and photogsGraphy as always.

As a kid I visited a swiss air force base. We learned they used some coded accent/language of French, Italian, and swiss German for long range communication,  only the pilots and some air force crew can understand it.

That's fairly common in armies recruited among linguistically diverse populations. During WWII, the US military used Native American radio operators speaking in Native American tongues, which the enemy could never understand. The most famous are the Navajo, but I believe there were others as well.

In the battle of Dien Bien Phu, two of the top French Paratroop officers were Bretons and spoke to each other on the radio in their native dialects which the Viet-Minh could not understand.

I'm sure I've read of plenty of other instances, but those are the only two that come to mind at the moment.

davidd

davidd
I don't know how accurate it is, but I've seen old movies in which the WWII American soldiers speak in Pig Latin to confuse the enemy.

Pig Latin was a popular fad in the States in the 1930s and 1940s, so most kids probably grew up being somewhat familiar with it, but I imagine it would be quite challenging for a non-native English speaker to grasp quickly.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
davidd wrote:I don't know how accurate it is, but I've seen old movies in which the WWII American soldiers speak in Pig Latin to confuse the enemy.

Pig Latin was a popular fad in the States in the 1930s and 1940s, so most kids probably grew up being somewhat familiar with it, but I imagine it would be quite challenging for a non-native English speaker to grasp quickly.

Especially since there's more than one form of Pig Latin.

"The name code talkers is strongly associated with bilingual Navajo speakers specially recruited during World War II by the US Marine Corps to serve in their standard communications units of the Pacific theater. Code talking, however, was pioneered by the Cherokee and Choctaw peoples during World War I.

This from Wikipedia

Other Native American code talkers were deployed by the United States Army during World War II, including Lakota,[3] Meskwaki, Mohawk,[4][5] Comanche, Tlingit,[6] Hopi,[7] Cree, and Crow soldiers; they served in the Pacific, North African, and European theaters.[8]"

Yeah, that would have confused the enemy. Imagine Germans or Japanese trying to understand Lakota or Mohawk.

Today, I suppose we might also look for guys who speak Klingon.

Ovy

Ovy
Interesting stuff, pig latin sounds great and is structured quite logically from what I take...reading the Wikipedia article.

Sadly the first time I heard about the Windtalkers was from watching the movie of the same name. It's about Nicholas Cage winning the Pacific War singlehandedly, hip shooting his smg. There are also Windtalkers in the background somewhere. I guess there is code talking to be heard too, but it's hard to understand through the loud music, screams and shooting accompanying Nic Cage's superhuman exploits.
But it got me interested in the topic, at least.

Oh and  I found the language I mentioned earlier, it's the Swiss Airforce's Bambini Code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bambini-Code

It has a vocabulary of about 500 words, some are in the article.

Perhaps you can develop/hint your own kind of code language, mixing Spanish, Japanese, English regional accents etc.? Katroopian or something. Would be very interezting.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Ovy wrote:Interesting stuff, pig latin sounds great and is structured quite logically from what I take...reading the Wikipedia article.

Sadly the first time I heard about the Windtalkers was from watching the movie of the same name. It's about Nicholas Cage winning the Pacific War singlehandedly, hip shooting his smg. There are also Windtalkers in the background somewhere. I guess there is code talking to be heard too, but it's hard to understand through the loud music, screams and shooting accompanying Nic Cage's superhuman exploits.
But it got me interested in the topic, at least.

Oh and  I found the language I mentioned earlier, it's the Swiss Airforce's Bambini Code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bambini-Code

It has a vocabulary of about 500 words, some are in the article.

Perhaps you can develop/hint your own kind of code language, mixing Spanish, Japanese, English regional accents etc.? Katroopian or something. Would be very interezting.

I think Laura's RAF modified banter would be confusing enough, though Katroopian sounds interesting as a challenge.

davidd

davidd
Razz  I can't believe you guys handed me this one on a platter:

Ovy wrote:Katroopian or something. Would be very interezting.

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51254317078_3aaf2bb060_z

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
[ On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 1f605 On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 1f605 On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 1f605 On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 1f605

davidd

davidd
A few hours earlier:

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51254623213_6e46ce5a02_c

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51255163784_cffc235c9a_c

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51254418561_d41567ab66_c

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51254418326_98652e0f57_c

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51254418046_ef40ca81ab_c

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51255162769_4db2440f14_c

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51253687492_22790b9981_c

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51255162224_376c2d3cdc_c

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51254621108_4a493eaf9c_c

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51255161624_5cae4773c0_c

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51254620578_da866406c0_c

On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51254416181_9ebb3db151_c

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Funny stuff, David, sounds like they've got it all covered.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Lauging my head off!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Pew Pew first, confirm who they are firing at later seems to have worked this time around. Good for those guys!

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 1f60e

BAMComix

BAMComix
Sheer brilliance Dave! loved it!

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
On a Wing and a Prayer...or If Nuns Had Messerschmidts 51275415031_23c0119538_bPage_1 by
Gary Menten, on Flickr

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum