OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Martian Manhunter (with Colored Phicen Body)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Toymungus

Martian Manhunter (with Colored Phicen Body)  Img_0111
Martian Manhunter (with Colored Phicen Body)  Img_0110
Martian Manhunter (with Colored Phicen Body)  Img_0112
Martian Manhunter (with Colored Phicen Body)  Img_0113

Hey Guys,
Super excited to join you guys! I wanted to share my recent Martian Manhunter. I have been trying for some time to dye / color a body, and another member of the site (ReverendSpooky) pointed out the oil Pastel method. So I jumped in to see if it would work and I am very happy with the results! Let me know what you think! I used an M34 and the gear and head from a DC Direct Deluxe figure.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nicely done! A successful application of the technique, and the results works quite seamlessly next to high end products. Also, we're glad you have joined up.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That's awesome! Very cool. Glad to see that it actually worked.

Any issues with it rubbing off? Or staining clothes?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Martian Manhunter (with Colored Phicen Body)  C8485110

dadrab

dadrab
Hot damn... Mighty fine work.

Great work with the body color and the costume is spot on, as well.

Did you do the muscle shading?

JohnByng

Brilliant look and colouring! But he doesn't scare me! I have a sofa to hide behind. Smile

Toymungus

Thanks Guys! I did do the shading in the muscles. I used 3 different shades of green and built from Light to dark. For the Muscles, I would spread the muscle a bit and then rub the pastel in. I have had no rubbing from the pastel on my hands or the cloths, even when dragging the trunks over the legs, nothing. The only way I can get the pastel off is by washing with soap and water.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
By the way, what kind of oil pastels did you use? I picked up and experimented with Staedtler ones, but since then I came across a different kind that supposedly works with water, for blending colors. I was wondering if that would be impermanent, and since you mentioned washing it off with soap and water, I wondered if perhaps this is what you got.

wardog_001

wardog_001
very nice

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Very Cool and Welcome Aboard!

Toymungus

I used Pentel Arts oil pastels.  I did not use water to blend the different tones (and more or less used my fingers to spread to silicon and smudge it.   I was not gentle, but I could see water helping as long as you did not use too much.  That might get muddy and messy... but I wouldn't mind experimenting to see.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Toymungus wrote:I used Pentel Arts oil pastels.  I did not use water to blend the different tones (and more or less used my fingers to spread to silicon and smudge it.   I was not gentle, but I could see water helping as long as you did not use too much.  That might get muddy and messy... but I wouldn't mind experimenting to see.

Thanks for the advice. Don't experiment unless you have a messed-up body for that already (I do). Besides, mine (the ones I was talking about, I have normal oil pastels too) are supposedly designed for working with water, so that might be a different story altogether. I've already misplaced them, but will report on my findings.

Update 1: found them... they are Portfolio Water-Soluble Pastels, 24-pack.
https://www.amazon.com/Crayola-52-3624-Portfolio-Soluble-Pastels/dp/B00006IFAG

Update 2: as expected, the water-soluble oil pastels are not a good idea -- unless perhaps you want something very impermanent. My little experiment wasn't in ideal conditions, as the body for the experiment was already painted over with non-water-soluble oil pastels to begin with. Anyway, something washed off (I presume mostly or only the water-soluble part), the rest remained pretty much as stained as before (but perhaps a little bit less). When I dried it, it still didn't bleed color, but it was tacky, so I had to apply protective powder.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Toymungus!!! Seriously glad you decided to join us here at OSF! Your stuff is always fantastic, and deserves to be seen. I know I've told you in person, but I still can't believe how freakin good this came out.

I've been friends with Toymungus for years, and his work is consistently awesome (not to mention him being a hell of a good guy). I know there's a mountain of incredible figures that he's done, and I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing them getting posted here.

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
J'onn looks amazing! He looks like he's glowing! Heck you can bash a Radioactive Man with that! (Marvel villain, not Simpsons...)

Allotropos

Allotropos
Fantastic work on the body colour !
Now you could even do a custom Lou F Incredible hulk figure !

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum