OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Loaded for Bear

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Loaded for Bear  Empty Loaded for Bear Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:12 pm

Chip

Here is my 2nd NAM Marine RTO , he is fully loaded as you can see . I got the inspiration from the cover photo of a book I was reading . I suppose if your living out of a bag for days on end , and stuff can make a difference to life or death you carried it . He does look tired doesn't he ? My figure is carrying attached to his ruck , the radio , claymores , a poncho , two spare batteries for the radio , an E-tool , torch , extended antenna kit , bayonet and scabbard and a couple of Smoke Grenades . His pockets are likely full of cartridges for the Ithaca M37 Shotgun . This was a SOTW item , I don`t think they are an easy pick up now , but I took the risk of repainting it , and think it looks o.k . On his belt is a 45 and holster , and general issue kit . Consider what would of been inside his ruck too , a fair amount of weight to be carried in the humid heat of Vietnam . First photo is the one I worked from .

Loaded for Bear  D3a7df37e5ebedc919dcab33e7074f0bfe3a2817

Loaded for Bear  P1140097

Loaded for Bear  P1140081

Loaded for Bear  P1140120

Loaded for Bear  P1140123

Loaded for Bear  P1140137

Loaded for Bear  P1140151

Loaded for Bear  P1140156

Loaded for Bear  P1140166

Loaded for Bear  P1140173

Loaded for Bear  P1140178

Loaded for Bear  P1140116

Loaded for Bear  P1140134

Loaded for Bear  P1140127

2Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:46 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice figure, loaded to the T. Looks good on Paul (RIP).

3Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:04 pm

Chip

Many thanks Ian .

4Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:36 pm

davidd

davidd
Wow, Chip! Impressive work yet again! The second and third pics, in B&W, I thought at first glance were more angles of the real photo you worked from! You are nailing the realism!

Your repaint of the shotgun looks fantastic! Again, looks like the real deal!

5Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:58 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is a hella cool recreation, and nice build. Really impressive, and the sculpt looks perfect (posing helps considerably) to being out that “worn down”. Well done!

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Loaded for Bear  C8485110

6Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:26 am

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
The Photo as well as a kitbash illustrate so well why the M1941 Haversack was not suited for the loads required in NAM, so Marines often would starp it onto a packboard and lash everything else onto it or like this RTO, put the pack onto the radio. Its one reason why Marines would barter to get either ARNV or Army Lightweight and Tropical Rucksacks. Some would also carry the NVA ruck "liberated" from some NVA soldier.

Great kitbash.

7Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:52 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Amazing work Chip! the backpack detailing is spot on. Also, the shotgun repaint is superb!

8Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:02 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Ohh man that looks great! Beautiful work on that shotgun. Funny, I was working on an RTO on the weekend, too!

9Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:50 am

Chip

Thanks for all the kind words , they are so nice hear .

NAM period packs are not easy or cheap to find these days , I have a few pack boards , and have toyed with them . Most of my ARVN and tropical packs have gone to my special forces teams .Arrow

I look forward to seeing your RTO Travis .

10Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:32 pm

lurpdog101

lurpdog101
Nice looking figure. Well executed from the ref pic

https://www.hellblazerbiz.com

11Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:30 am

blackpool

blackpool
Very well done Chip! I always enjoy historical custom figures when they come with some reference material. Nailed that marine!

12Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:46 pm

Chip

Many thanks for the further kind words . Wink

13Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:01 pm

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
The black and white shots are especially effective. It adds to the realism, especially since most of my Dad’s pictures from Korea and Viet Nam were in black and white. He wasn’t on the front lines like a lot of these guys (more like a M.A.S.H. type situation - he was in food service) but he still had some close calls.

14Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:34 pm

thegreatshaggy

thegreatshaggy
Nicely done.

15Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:05 pm

Chip

Thanks for those further kind comments , I agree those Black and White pics do add a sense of realism . I had photographed some with black and white images in mind . Thanks again .

16Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:21 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Great work on those black and white photos, they actually very realistic and could be mistaken by the real deal at a quick glance. The gear is phenomenal too, everything looks so heavy.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Loaded for Bear  1f60e

17Loaded for Bear  Empty Re: Loaded for Bear Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:39 am

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Very nice! The properly scaled bailing twine is a great detail.
Figure looks fantastic in color and B&W!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum