OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated 1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

shovelchop81

Stryker2011 wrote:Looking good, Alex. That’s a nice effect with the lava added.

GubernatorFan wrote:I agree, you made it beautiful and striking. I would have been tempted to make the skulls more dark/weathered/grimey.

Thanks! It's still liable to change, yes the skulls are a bit brighter at the moment but I might darken them again.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Something that I associate with lava flow but may be too difficult or messy, are some layers of dark or medium-dark grey flakey ash -- especially cool when the lava shines through the cracks. But that might be too time/labor-consuming to apply here (even if, for practical reasons, it is kept to a single layer), and I can't think of an easy quick technique that is sure to work.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

shovelchop81

GubernatorFan wrote:Something that I associate with lava flow but may be too difficult or messy, are some layers of dark or medium-dark grey flakey ash -- especially cool when the lava shines through the cracks. But that might be too time/labor-consuming to apply here (even if, for practical reasons, it is kept to a single layer), and I can't think of an easy quick technique that is sure to work.

Is this what you mean? It's the paint dust (painted the 'rock' with PVA then sprinkled on the dust and brush off excess dust when dry) I was talking about being part of the next stage, the other part is the gloss clear, still drying (so looks milky in places until it dries shiny clear) but you get the idea.

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 T8R8M2X

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 DtMBQjX

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 PP53KsA

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 XrBNpaR

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 JJWAHP3

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 3xH90PK

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Oh yes, something along these lines, definitely. Hard to do, but you did it very nicely.

https://www.moehotglass.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/IMG_6540.jpg

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Ovy

Ovy
Wow, you sanded and sawed like a maniac. Beautiful base, the different oranges really give it an effectve lava effect.

And glad you found a plausible way to incorporate the helmetskullspine thing, haha.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Oh yes, something along these lines, definitely. Hard to do, but you did it very nicely.

https://www.moehotglass.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/IMG_6540.jpg

Great reference pic! Yes I'll add a bit of surface slag, good idea!

Ovy wrote:Wow, you sanded and sawed like a maniac. Beautiful base, the different oranges really give it an effectve lava effect.

And glad you found a plausible way to incorporate the helmetskullspine thing, haha.

Cheers Ovy! Yeah, you can't argue with the realism of a deluded dream sequence! pirat

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That looks excellent. I like the flecks of ash in the lava. Nicely done.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 C8485110

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:That looks excellent. I like the flecks of ash in the lava. Nicely done.

Cheers Stryker!
GTF, I added the 'moving' crust to the lava but it's dulled the brightness and contrast of the lava considerably so I'll need to redo the orange etc.. paint to make it 'pop' again.

The main work I did was cutting up the spare lava/rock type resin base I had lying around and grafted it to the PLA printed base as an extension to add some wider rivers of lava at the front. I used milliput of course to sculpt in all the gaps and have done the basic black and dark brown base coats soon to be followed by the dust and bright lava colours.

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 9MU72PP

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 StR1Ms1

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 MxB6nWF

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 AOeVv0A

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 DGk9Kw2

Plastic food tray material and duct tape with super glue, will be covered by foam later,

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 Zm24OIR

Resculpted the edges of the resin base too

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 45uTo9K

Milliput sculpting as filler.

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 So5iI7k

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 H03vyom

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 XDgvwMm

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 RB58Jf1

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 JOWw6bN

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 X6WSyGt

Valiarde

Valiarde
That is a nice 'Dead Strange' base Smile

Looks cool

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Valiarde wrote:That is a nice 'Dead Strange' base Smile

Looks cool

Laughing Dr Strange may be a manipulator of the multiverse but he's not getting Sauron's base! Razz Wink And yes I love the look of the new HT Dead Strange figure!!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It looks excellent, Alex. A thing of beauty. It now occurs to me that if you can get the artist to make a base mold in translucent material (especially one of yellow-orange-red color), you could illuminate it from beneath, and have it shine through like real lava from beneath a thick/opaque paint application of the ash and rock and bone. Smile Can you imagine how cool that would be?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:It looks excellent, Alex. A thing of beauty. It now occurs to me that if you can get the artist to make a base mold in translucent material (especially one of yellow-orange-red color), you could illuminate it from beneath, and have it shine through like real lava from beneath a thick/opaque paint application of the ash and rock and bone. Smile Can you imagine how cool that would be?

That would be epic.

Like the additional lava you’ve added to the base so far.

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 C8485110

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:It looks excellent, Alex. A thing of beauty. It now occurs to me that if you can get the artist to make a base mold in translucent material (especially one of yellow-orange-red color), you could illuminate it from beneath, and have it shine through like real lava from beneath a thick/opaque paint application of the ash and rock and bone. Smile Can you imagine how cool that would be?

That would be epic.

Like the additional lava you’ve added to the base so far.

Cheers!
As for light up gimmicks, they're cool but having made and owned SO many I can tell you they are way over rated! As long as our technology is restricted to batteries or connection leads we're not advanced enough to pull it off in an effective way for collectors of multiple displays. They are improving contactless power sources every year but it's slow going and will need at least another five years or so to get it to where we can use it for figure displays and about ten years before we can afford to use it! Wink

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Just to give you an idea of how much more lava will be added plus I found some old resin flame bits I cast many years ago to incorporate into the base.

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 S4vrV7k

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 Y27hiD3

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 0ZwHUz9

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 Qr2W6bg

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 LemPSPr

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Simply outstanding! (As ever!) Your builds never fail to inspire!
The lava looks absolutely spectacular and I’m in awe of the way you’ve perfectly matched the colour and griminess of the armour.

I hope your moggy turns up too, poor thing. 🥺

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Lynkhart wrote:Simply outstanding! (As ever!) Your builds never fail to inspire!
The lava looks absolutely spectacular and I’m in awe of the way you’ve perfectly matched the colour and griminess of the armour.

I hope your moggy turns up too, poor thing. 🥺

Thank you! Getting there! LOL.

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 PZ8u4CQ

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 BLcNkhb

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 Q38DTGB

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 PDucNOZ

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 XMXGoeS

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 PqiaHtw

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 RXFIOFm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is very cool. You did a great job, and the glow in the dark effect should be really neat.

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Your base looks very cool. Very impressive work (as usual)!
The color transitions on the lava seems very realistic! I'm curious to see the glow-in-the-dark effect!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautiful. If it weren't for the skulls, you could even have Anakin face off Kenobi on top. Wink

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:Beautiful. If it weren't for the skulls, you could even have Anakin face off Kenobi on top. Wink

Who’s to say those aren’t the remains of dead Jedi…

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:Beautiful. If it weren't for the skulls, you could even have Anakin face off Kenobi on top. Wink

Ok, deal. Wink They are condemned to float atop the lava and ash for all eternity without getting singed...

Diana

Diana
This is so impressive once again. I'm very much looking forward to seeing that thing glow in the dark! Very Happy

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Randam Hajile wrote:Your base looks very cool. Very impressive work (as usual)!
The color transitions on the lava seems very realistic! I'm curious to see the glow-in-the-dark effect!

Stryker2011 wrote:

GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

Ok, deal. Wink They are condemned to float atop the lava and ash for all eternity without getting singed...

Diana wrote:This is so impressive once again. I'm very much looking forward to seeing that thing glow in the dark! Very Happy

Thank you so much everyone! I wouldn't hold your breath for the glow in the dark feature as so many layers of paint have been applied since that are not UV reactive, I just really needed a strong orange and my orange ink wasn't working (mixing red and yellow inks/paints came out really dull).
I have now finished the base (might add another skull closer to 1/6 for consistency out in the front) so I've started work on Elendil's remains.

BEFORE BUSHING DUST AWAY, PAINTING SKULLS, ADDING BONE AND PAINTING CLEAR GLOSS ON THE LAVA OR ADDING THE FLAMES

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 TLpMTOu

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 XlVmZj4

AFTER DOING SOME OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED THINGS

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 SKWMCBB

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 Pdjtjq7

REMODDED STAND ATTACHMENT

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 WzW5mTp

AFTER DOING ALL THE ABOVE MENTIONED THINGS..

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 5EnqxWj

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 BPgWWPM

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 XgrgBHh

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 DY0ECXl

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 7HgddeE

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 XNUpCzv

ELENDIL BUILD STUFF AND A BIT OF PROGRESS..

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 PuFBrna

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 ReKdJLc

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 LlsneiT

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 LKRvZUg

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 LERwNpb

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 IT5xaIW

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 LyHkAyF

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 GF8Engr

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 VB4l784

NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING WITH HIM REALLY LOL, HE'S JUST GOING TO BE AN 'OVERDONE' ANAKIN!!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The lava really pops now. Beautiful work on the stand. Can one ever have too many skulls? Wink Interesting start on the remains.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That lava paint job is fantastic, Alex. Beautiful work, as usual.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:The lava really pops now. Beautiful work on the stand. Can one ever have too many skulls? Wink Interesting start on the remains.

Never too many skulls! In fact I used to have a jovial competition with a Dutch fisherman called Fingers (because he'd lost a few obviously) down the pub whenever his boat came in a couple of times a year, of which of us now had more skull tattoos each time! LOL (before those hipster (censored) made tattoos meaningless to the masses). I can't remember what numbers we were at when we last saw each other, soon afterwards a Dutch fishing trawler went down with all hands (but maybe not all fingers) off the coast of Wales and I never saw him again, shame he was a nice guy, I guess perhaps he's a skull now surrounded by loads of other skulls? Or he started fishing elsewhere, who knows with the crazy EU laws surrounding UK fishing back then.

Stryker2011 wrote:That lava paint job is fantastic, Alex. Beautiful work, as usual.

Thank you sir!

BAMComix wrote:Brilliant!

Thank you very much BAM! Means a lot!

Well I made Elendil a neck from an aftermarket Predator 1/6 souvenir since TKOTD got the original neck jaw and teeth off this skeleton. I then decided to play with fire literally and burn some of the bones with a 1/6 firearm! yes the puns keep going today.. my folks gave me that lighter to use for my 1/6 collection, I don't think they realised I'd be using it this way which I do a lot (long barrel stops me burning myself while heating plastic or burning material for builds), anyway he's coming together or apart technically...

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 TnC5Lho

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 Wlo6TzC

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 FRyHCTg

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 PgCKQOD

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 63eIX1k

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 SOLqCvj

AND A MANDATORY TEASER...

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 GhPO1Iq

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I hope your Dutch friend is alive and well, and you can compare skull tattoos again to your heart's content (hopefully without too much awkward undressing in the process). And the puns are absolutely delightful and justified. Nice job with that lighter. The skeleton looks very promising.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's some really great looking lava and the ash on top is great. Neat lighter too.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 6 1f60e

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum