OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated 1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

skywalkersaga

Great progress. and sorry for the resin dust mess. Does wetting the resin first help at all? I've done that before, it still creates residue but it doesn't spread as far so quickly. But I don't remember if I tried it specifically with the printed resin...

That seems such a handy and detailed way to cut it.... wish I were not so scared of using sharp tools... ;p

Ovy

Great progress! Sorry to see that mess, I was about to write "It is very messy and dusty." when you first asked, but then I thought "shovelshop surely won't just dremel it unprepared!" :p I like to dremel (censored) like that into a plastic bag like Gubernator does with his heads.

Depending on the kind of resin, hot water makes it more elastic and bendable/cuttable. But it's best done before curing.

shovelchop81

BAMComix wrote:really clever stuff!

Cheers BAM! Although I don't think intelligence has anything to do with it LOL, more like experience and patience! Wink

skywalkersaga wrote:Great progress. and sorry for the resin dust mess. Does wetting the resin first help at all? I've done that before, it still creates residue but it doesn't spread as far so quickly. But I don't remember if I tried it specifically with the printed resin...

That seems such a handy and detailed way to cut it.... wish I were not so scared of using sharp tools... ;p

It's not the sharpness of the blade you need to worry about, it's the waiting for the exploding blade part that can get trying! Experience, skill and luck can make blades survive a lot longer, for example I am now finished using the jeweller's saw and only broke 2 blades for a lot of very tricky work using it on an X,Y,Z axis to get around curves and still cut at an angle to save both parts of the armour; when I started a silversmithing course years ago I'd be breaking blades every few seconds which is why they usually come in a pack of 100 or more! Twisted Evil It's having to stop, faff about cutting the blade to length, ensuring it's facing the right way, then putting tension on it (like a violin string) and clamping down the butterfly nuts while keeping the blade in place with only one hand to do it all every time a blade breaks which is the annoying part, not the actual blade breaking itself.

Ovy wrote:Great progress! Sorry to see that mess, I was about to write "It is very messy and dusty." when you first asked, but then I thought "shovelshop surely won't just dremel it unprepared!" :p I like to dremel (censored) like that into a plastic bag like Gubernator does with his heads.

Depending on the kind of resin, hot water makes it more elastic and bendable/cuttable. But it's best done before curing.

To be fair I didn't Dremel unprepared, I used a baby hacksaw as you said cutting it was fine tongue tongue Twisted Evil Wink

All done now! Even got that evil elbow apart without breaking a blade! YAY! Done loads of Dremeling too cleaning everything up and removing all the connection posts, excess material and rough edges etc..

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 JnwpN7D

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 LDYj16r

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 SAb6bC9

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 LCHI0O2

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Ah, yes, the inferno that is resin. But you will make it all worthwhile in the end -- the start is very promising, and you are knocking these LOTR bashes out of the park. One thing that I usually do when using my dremel is put whatever I'm working on inside a big deep clear plastic bag, hold it through the bag, while carefully grinding/drilling/sanding it inside. The vast majority of the little particles ends up inside the bag, and the clean up job is a lot less extensive. You would still do well to employ the other precautions too, when working with resin. I hate the stuff.

PS Oh wow, just saw Ovy's post, where he remembers my "procedure" -- I must have been venting about this before. Smile

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Ah, yes, the inferno that is resin. But you will make it all worthwhile in the end -- the start is very promising, and you are knocking these LOTR bashes out of the park. One thing that I usually do when using my dremel is put whatever I'm working on inside a big deep clear plastic bag, hold it through the bag, while carefully grinding/drilling/sanding it inside. The vast majority of the little particles ends up inside the bag, and the clean up job is a lot less extensive. You would still do well to employ the other precautions too, when working with resin. I hate the stuff.

PS Oh wow, just saw Ovy's post, where he remembers my "procedure" -- I must have been venting about this before. Smile

Cheers! Used to do that clear bag trick years ago but got fed up with it and built the glass box (aquarium I found) set up with two holes for my arms, works great but it's in the workshop/kitchen not my comfy tv watching build spot ie: the couch!! Wink

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The importance of being able to multi-task (even if one of those tasks is enjoy entertainment -- or maybe looking at reference matter) is definitely something to keep in mind. I usually work in front of my computer monitor. But I do my dremel work, when needed, in the nearest bathroom -- easier to clean. Unlike you, of course, I rarely have to resort to it.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:The importance of being able to multi-task (even if one of those tasks is enjoy entertainment -- or maybe looking at reference matter) is definitely something to keep in mind. I usually work in front of my computer monitor. But I do my dremel work, when needed, in the nearest bathroom -- easier to clean. Unlike you, of course, I rarely have to resort to it.

Well it gets a bit confusing as my TV is my monitor and I don't watch TV LOL! So it's usually YouTube documentaries that keep me entertained while working, great way to learn things too! Wink

Finished modding the cast parts now so moved onto the joint possibilities starting with the waist and hips, I think my idea will work but it will be a tight fit with plenty of hot glue! Wait...will hot glue deform the resin or is it chemically set now?

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 XbtpeUm

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 RYZEOKr

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 I3fOFmp

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
After seriously attacking the oversized Hasbro Kylo Ren figure (15"?) I had used to parts from to make my own custom Ren some years back, I think I now have a viable system for a strong waist swivel and large jointed hips/thighs to attach to the torso and thigh armour. I cut the leg joints from another Hasbro random SW body lying around that should work as articulated knees connecting the shin armour to the thigh armour. I have an option of using either a junked Hasbro Darth Maul lower body (I think it's him as it's black and small but not a woman and covered in Lucas Film markings) for shoulder and elbow joints by using the legs or use the arms from the other Hasbro body combined with these. I'll be using Bionicles lego parts for the neck since I want to run electronics in there. All the joints have to be narrow enough to be covered in real mail while still functioning properly and look proportionate to the armour while wearing the mail.

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 88MzfHF

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 DqDGI6Q

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 Adaic6D

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 Mjtyayf

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 DvfZiii

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
This is a very challenging part of the project. Wishing you luck and patience. Smile

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:This is a very challenging part of the project. Wishing you luck and patience. Smile

Thanks GTF! I have to keep in mind the real mail only expands and contracts one way too!! Mad Suspect

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
It’s really coming along nicely. But, even with your precautions, all that resin dust kind of has me worried about your continued health, Alex. Do you have a more open space where you can work on this stuff to alleviate some of this more?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 C8485110

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:It’s really coming along nicely. But, even with your precautions, all that resin dust kind of has me worried about your continued health, Alex. Do you have a more open space where you can work on this stuff to alleviate some of this more?

I open the porch windows in front of me which brings in a fresh breeze and I'm wearing a proper double cartridge respirator not a flimsy surgical mask. Been doing it for years, not a problem; it just surprised me that a 'new' state of the art construction material turned out to be just like the really old stuff!

Updates: Used plasticine to gauge the shape and size of the top part of the waist swivel by inserting it into the torso until snug in the correct area then removing it to trace around onto the plastic which I then cut. Sanded down a bunch of parts to fit inside the resin parts, also painted all the armour with primer black, was a pain in the neck to get into all those crevices/steps/angels/details etc.. with the spray can!!

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 OhWjoPi

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 4mobXVL

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 Y8v90J0

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Very Cool looking project!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Very Cool looking project!

Thank you BW!

Right it's all or nothing now, he's been coming together so easily I found it boring! So focusing on the abdomen and torso armour you will notice it's built for CGI only, they went for form over function which is fine; makes a super cool looking evil big boss but it does mean there is no 'real world' articulation that can be translated from the design even though it looks to have  some concertina styled armoured plates along the ribcage. You'll notice they didn't even try on the official 1/12 scale version and put the electronics and speaker in there instead, I don't blame them in the slightest!! Twisted Evil
Anyway I'm going in and hacking it all up to articulate it or I'll forever look at this piece and think 'You could have been so much more if only I had tried harder... Sad '

Going to start off with good old Lego Bionicles stuff, perhaps a spring or two etc.. basically take what I've learnt doing builds like this in the past but be ready for a possibly higher difficulty level due to fiddleyness. I have been using and will continue relying on black milliput a lot! And a hot glue gun.

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 Zdnquyc

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 VjMkEzt

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 SgGf35A

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 IsFxZvw

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 SLrxH7m

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 T2Uqc5J

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 2Sdt5zi

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 JGt4CmI

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 0Rky8iS

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 L07lsm4

SO YOU CAN SEE THAT MECHANICALLY THIS IS FAR FROM EASY TO ARTICULATE!

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 8V3ZijS

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 VePgdF4

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 42Px6z8

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 PD3Andl

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 CpmgNv1

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 42R1f0o

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 RVclB3i

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 Fo6pT9X

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 0hrGcN6

1/12 TOYBIZ VERSION FOR COMPARISSON

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 6ogPnRz

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 53jSYrj

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 EJH4sib

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 VEjHink

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 LNV8DMH

OPERATION: "OH CRAP, GOING IN BLIND!"

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 UITD1UP

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 0CDxjGO

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 UzScNac

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 3HWBFfr

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 HXmsf70

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 EFpjhZt

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 5VsiOvi

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 88hQFCf

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 Dldmrbe

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 SM98wlW

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 GjQ3vUf

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 XaFxoKW

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 V2H1Vf1

IF I DIDN'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PARTS COLLIDING AND PAINT CHIPPING IT WOULD BE A LOT EASIER!! UNFORTUNATELY THE SELLER DIDN'T HAVE ANY BLACK RESIN AND THE GREY TURNED OUT TO BE MORE BLUE! Mad

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Now that is articulation! You are very brave and inventive. As for the grey resin, you can surely paint it, and at least those parts that don't rub together from the changes in posing would stay put, while those that do will create a nice contrast that would highlight the rest of the armor pieces. In fact, you might find yourself looking to replicate this effect in spots where nothing will rub off.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Now that is articulation! You are very brave and inventive. As for the grey resin, you can surely paint it, and at least those parts that don't rub together from the changes in posing would stay put, while those that do will create a nice contrast that would highlight the rest of the armor pieces. In fact, you might find yourself looking to replicate this effect in spots where nothing will rub off.

Not exactly sure what you mean as the base colour that would show is bluish not dark grey annoyingly although I appreciate those places that might chip would of course show weathering in real life. Been thinking about various ways to hide or distract from open joints during articulation, anything from foam to EL-wire!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Welcome, welcome..... to my amazing land of confusion!! Twisted Evil pirat Cool  jocolor

I just though I'd share the weird conundrum that is articulating Sauron's plate armour!scratch
I sort of know what I'm doing but as expected this is a bit of a challenge to get right which pertains: looking good when posed, looking good when not posed, being able to pose realistically, not breaking, not falling apart, not chipping paint if possible, resetting parts automatically with rubber or spring into the default shape.

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 P4o02as

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 R44GnE9

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 4A9DqPq

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 S8YDXWU

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 JdAIoIF

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 EGDXxuX

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 HOlkzfG

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 FK6e8em

Diana

Diana
He is looking amazing already!! And using a gorilla stand for the spine... genius! Very Happy

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Diana wrote:He is looking amazing already!! And using a gorilla stand for the spine... genius! Very Happy

Thank you Diana! Yes it was lucky I thought of using that stand as it's perfect for this build!

Connected his 'spine' securely to the inner frame and that in turn to the external armour, I skipped taking pics of some of the mods as at the time I was more occupied with making them work. I'm planning on using rubber to connect the cut up armour parts and hope it will 'give' enough to allow the desired articulation. It's all trial and error now! Suspect

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 TwdYzp1

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 5yTHtPx

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 YIcuEDi

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 Ad90203

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 EnIUMuk

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 PkpIN5R

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
This is definitely the Land of Confusion. Never ceases to amaze me the work that goes into your builds. Interesting “spine” you are using for this guy. There’s a company/store here in the States that makes similar armatures for folks to use for “stop-motion” animation:

https://morezmore.mybigcommerce.com/

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I, too, am very impressed by your inventive use of this type of element for the spinal column. Excellent idea. Perhaps something like this could be used for other limbs too. Especially if the joints are able to pose stiffly enough. The thing about "give" due to rubber and (to a lesser extent) springs, is that this can mess with the poseability, by destabilizing your figure from the inside, and making it difficult to pose precisely or to keep its balance. It is a problem with some of the seamless bodies out there that do not use a complete metal skeleton, for example. Perhaps black foam (like the type used for certain foam treys for boxed sets) can help. I don't know whether it would mess with or enhance your design, but would making the limbs and torso a little longer help accommodate the needs of the armor for articulation (then again, you might end up with small gaps that you will need to attend to with something under the armor).

Illusion

Illusion
WOW - what a project... have not had the time to really dig into the details of what you are doing, but it looks promising. I am confident you will achieve a supercool result.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:This is definitely the Land of Confusion. Never ceases to amaze me the work that goes into your builds. Interesting “spine” you are using for this guy. There’s a company/store here in the States that makes similar armatures for folks to use for “stop-motion” animation:

https://morezmore.mybigcommerce.com/

Cheers Stryker! Yeah the ones you showed me are a different system and full metal, the same as ones used on soldering station grab arms etc.. A bit heavy for most 1/6 stuff.

GubernatorFan wrote:I, too, am very impressed by your inventive use of this type of element for the spinal column. Excellent idea. Perhaps something like this could be used for other limbs too. Especially if the joints are able to pose stiffly enough. The thing about "give" due to rubber and (to a lesser extent) springs, is that this can mess with the poseability, by destabilizing your figure from the inside, and making it difficult to pose precisely or to keep its balance. It is a problem with some of the seamless bodies out there that do not use a complete metal skeleton, for example. Perhaps black foam (like the type used for certain foam treys for boxed sets) can help. I don't know whether it would mess with or enhance your design, but would making the limbs and torso a little longer help accommodate the needs of the armor for articulation (then again, you might end up with small gaps that you will need to attend to with something under the armor).

Thanks GTF! I'm right with you as far as rubber and springs go with posability, discounted rubber in favour of a more forgiving material like fibre card or a textile. Yes a big block of foam would work much better than a spring and fill in the gaps; I literally had this idea about half an hour ago which helped me drag my arse out of bed! LOL. I had been thinking about a 'pull up and bend' ab-crunch like HT use for their Ironman figures but don't think I'll need it hopefully.

Illusion wrote:WOW - what a project... have not had the time to really dig into the details of what you are doing, but it looks promising. I am confident you will achieve a supercool result.

Thank you Illusion!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Making sense now! The string glue bits are all gone now and any glue has been sharpied black and doesn't show now. The rubber used is latex casts I had made before that are angled correctly for attaching the lower torso parts. I'll be filling the gaps created by the articulation either with thin foam or rubber/latex. I haven't put foam behind the 'belly plate' yet so it is sitting too far in at the moment.

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 FmgodF8

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 KaucYy3

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 8h4NQkv

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 1HVOoeg

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 XvxYhjI

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 8NUBX4x

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 B1Qkqbq

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 Xoe1Jid

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 Jd9WgG0

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 OJdzAU3

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 A3oXkMG

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 YWa3a2P

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 3iwyYJP

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 Pdj22Bl

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 JXipw3K

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 2Gn1RIn

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 FVWSwPI

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 HEGK1gZ

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 2qRsrZD

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It really is coming together. Nice look and great twist at the waist.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
This is looking so cool already.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:It really is coming together. Nice look and great twist at the waist.

Stryker2011 wrote:This is looking so cool already.

Thanks guys! Took so many pics of all the work I've done since but too tired to post them all so here are a few.

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 JJjGjKa

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 ZiLq8C6

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 0mspNvh

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 TzHR6JL

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 EPnOzqT

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 J47wqYt

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 ZATSuwi

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 2eMb6Y4

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 7zksb0F

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 KfbLzFx

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 X1IJog5

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 MHWg4Zi

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 RhgOFaz

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 7ZE2fNc

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 Kzu9KM8

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 GICVO9F

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 5l6tbxq

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 IOc1w7E

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 7YKkkNK

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 YDxv4ag

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 TkgohYN

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 EEzos5w

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 6M7piq5

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 O1kM2uV

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 XtDfSdB

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 71R9zax

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 VZJUETt

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 OyOqPid

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 4s8AWER

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 4s8AWER

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 JkaRXLF

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 PrlkCnl

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 RtdvaG0

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 JhVq7Oq

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 LkO3cFG

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 Y7BotQy

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 NJSuULy

ELENDIL'S HELMET ..... Building a custom articulated  1/6 scale SAURON from Peter Jackson's LOTR using 3D printed statue parts - Page 2 VUwkk3O

Okay so got it all up there, tried to show his torso articulation, back and forth, side to side, leaning side to side etc.. also the feet are articulated at the ankles and so are the massive pauldrons. Hip skirts and hands next...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
At the risk of repeating myself, he is coming together nicely. Smile So the regular shoes fit within the armored ones? Very cool. How do you manage to keep the articulated joints reasonably stiff so that the figure could hold its balance, weapons, etc?

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:At the risk of repeating myself, he is coming together nicely. Smile So the regular shoes fit within the armored ones? Very cool. How do you manage to keep the articulated joints reasonably stiff so that the figure could hold its balance, weapons, etc?

I actually cut down the shoes from a 12" WWE figure (the big fully articulated ones, used the body for something else in the past). The joints are held together with multiple screws that can be tightened although they are quite tight as is, the shoulders have soft ratchets built in. Not sure about the pauldron placements, I had them even further apart initially but realised the was a mistake so shortened the ball joint a bit but still unsure if the are sticking out too far. Because I've lengthened bits of his body to make him taller (an inch or so) having the pauldrons hanging out a bit more than normal seems to give him more bulk to match the height but still not sure...I'll try reversing the ball joints to bring them in a bit to see how that looks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum