OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ARVN Rangers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1ARVN Rangers  Empty ARVN Rangers Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:27 pm

Chip

Hi all , here is a couple of my ARVN ( Army Republic Vietnam ) Rangers . They could both use with a little more of an upgrade and tweaking , but time for that escapes me for now. The ARVN were often considered cowardly by many U.S units . There are plenty of stories of them running from battles , and there is that infamous joke most of us have likely heard from the Full Metal Jacket movie , " we got some ARVN rifles , never been fired and only dropped once " . However the ARVN were involved in some fierce battles and showed great bravery . In the early days , the U.S supplied the ARVN with old WW 2 U.S gear in the early stages of the war . My first figure is showing this . It`s a Cotswold helmet and uniform and M.1 rifle , and very nice it is too ! I added some updated webbing and U.S jump boots to him . The pattern of the uniform is referred to as the Duck pattern , during WW2 , the uniform I believe was fazed out in certain areas as these U.S uniforms were confused with similar looking German Para smocks . The Tiger and star on a yellow shield insignia , shown on the arm patch and helmet is the insignia for general ranger units .

ARVN Rangers  1-P1150052

ARVN Rangers  2-P1150057

ARVN Rangers  3-P1150051

ARVN Rangers  4-P1150061

ARVN Rangers  5-P1150067

ARVN Rangers  6-P1150066

ARVN Rangers  7-P1150068

ARVN Rangers  8-P1150065

As the war went on , the U.S supplied the ARVN with more modern up to date equipment , as can be seen on my 2nd figure , notably here the M16 and web gear , though he still sports the older jump boots . The ARVN troops liked to wear tight fitting uniforms , and there were lots of unique patterns to the later uniforms . The old 21st century woodland pattern , works perfectly here , as it`s quite a tight fit and is a little bright for the U.S woodland pattern fatigues . Bright coloured scarves and insignia were typical for ARVN units . I had some transfer decals made for my other ARVN troops , and home printed the insignia patches . The red roman 111 on a white circle identifies him being in the regional corps .

ARVN Rangers  Mod-1-P1150077

ARVN Rangers  Mod-2-P1150074

ARVN Rangers  Mod-3-P1150070

ARVN Rangers  Mod-4-P1150078

ARVN Rangers  Mod-5-P1150080

And lastly a comparison photo .

ARVN Rangers  Mod-6-P1150084

2ARVN Rangers  Empty Re: ARVN Rangers Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:22 pm

Arcata

Arcata
Very cool as always, Chip!  And again, I love the historical background you share with your builds, and the effort for accuracy that you strive for.  It's interesting to see the development of their gear.  Is that "Duck pattern" the same camo that was sometimes used by Marines in the PTO?  You mentioned it was removed in some cases because it could be confused with the German smocks, and it dawned on me I don't think I've seen a photo of someone in the ETO wearing camo (and I could very easily be mistaken, I'm far from an expert on that).  

Did you silkscreen the patches on the uniform, or did they come that way?  Looks great either way. (Edit: whoops, I don't know how I missed your explanation of the patches on my first read through...very nicely done).

Doug

3ARVN Rangers  Empty Re: ARVN Rangers Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:44 pm

Chip

Arcata wrote:Very cool as always, Chip!  And again, I love the historical background you share with your builds, and the effort for accuracy that you strive for.  It's interesting to see the development of their gear.  Is that "Duck pattern" the same camo that was sometimes used by Marines in the PTO?  You mentioned it was removed in some cases because it could be confused with the German smocks, and it dawned on me I don't think I've seen a photo of someone in the ETO wearing camo (and I could very easily be mistaken, I'm far from an expert on that).  

Did you silkscreen the patches on the uniform, or did they come that way?  Looks great either way.  (Edit: whoops, I don't know how I missed your explanation of the patches on my first read through...very nicely done).

Doug

I can not remember where I read that information regarding the Duck Pattern , though I am reasonably confident it was in an Osprey book . Back tracking through my Osprey books , the info I found was that at least one pattern was based on the German Para smock . I am not to proud to say I maybe wrong , I am getting older memory does not serve me as well as it once did . Wink

4ARVN Rangers  Empty Re: ARVN Rangers Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:03 pm

Arcata

Arcata
Chip wrote:
Arcata wrote:Very cool as always, Chip!  And again, I love the historical background you share with your builds, and the effort for accuracy that you strive for.  It's interesting to see the development of their gear.  Is that "Duck pattern" the same camo that was sometimes used by Marines in the PTO?  You mentioned it was removed in some cases because it could be confused with the German smocks, and it dawned on me I don't think I've seen a photo of someone in the ETO wearing camo (and I could very easily be mistaken, I'm far from an expert on that).  

Did you silkscreen the patches on the uniform, or did they come that way?  Looks great either way.  (Edit: whoops, I don't know how I missed your explanation of the patches on my first read through...very nicely done).

Doug

I can not remember where I read that information regarding the Duck Pattern , though I am reasonably confident it was in an Osprey book . Back tracking through my Osprey books , the info I found was that at least one pattern was based on the German Para smock . I am not to proud to say I maybe wrong , I am getting older memory does not serve me as well as it once did . Wink  

Oh, you could definitely be right. I love WWII movies and books, but I'm honestly very uninformed when it comes to most real stuff about it. Laughing

5ARVN Rangers  Empty Re: ARVN Rangers Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:42 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nice pair of soldiers, Mark. And I, too, appreciate the historical background.

6ARVN Rangers  Empty Re: ARVN Rangers Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:16 am

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
Dang Chip, those ARVN boys look great!

That WWII camo did see some ETO use, a couple infantry units and the 2nd Armored in Normandy had them.
ARVN Rangers  A59101e5-6629-4895-bc9e-c7fdb8a7ed5a

7ARVN Rangers  Empty Re: ARVN Rangers Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:33 am

Chip

Thanks Ian , I hope I don`t waffle on to much .

Glad you helped clear some of that info up Picklemunkey . And thanks for the kind comments too .

8ARVN Rangers  Empty Re: ARVN Rangers Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:09 am

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great Uniforms and i love the badges ! I don´t want to mess with these Guys

9ARVN Rangers  Empty Re: ARVN Rangers Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:03 pm

Chip

Thanks again for looking and commenting Ephiane , much appreciated .

10ARVN Rangers  Empty Re: ARVN Rangers Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:30 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Really cool ARVN guys.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! ARVN Rangers  1f60e

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum