OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 14]

Melancholia

That bed is so authentic to the time, really beautiful! Maybe there could be a couple ladies of the night for the fellas, that would be some fun kitbashing with garish over the top gowns!

PickleMunkey

This is coming together really nicely, definitely fun to keep tabs on.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Nice!

Thanks.

Valiarde wrote:Very cool. Love followong your project. And cool to see more pics of the Wolford Outfit.

Thank you. Yeah, that dress is really well made. It looked a bit big on the figure used for the promos, but is perfect for a TBL, making it tight around the torso.

Melancholia wrote:That bed is so authentic to the time, really beautiful!  Maybe there could be a couple ladies of the night for the fellas, that would be some fun kitbashing with garish over the top gowns!

Thanks. And, oh yeah, I’m planning to have saloon girls, and a madam (it’s not Mama Malone, though — she doesn’t approve of that sort of thing at her place).

PickleMunkey wrote:This is coming together really nicely, definitely fun to keep tabs on.

Thanks very much.

Melancholia

This is gonna be epic, excited to see the finished results!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Melancholia wrote:This is gonna be epic, excited to see the finished results!

I hope you’re patient… ‘Cause it could be awhile. Very Happy

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 C8485110

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I was going to put this stuff in the Latest Purchase thread, but since these items are going to be used for my "Westworld" as Ian calls it, I thought this would be more appropriate.

First up is the SW Toys Lady Adler horse (or should I say, the Mr. Z Hanoverian), which is so tiny compared to other horses, but works well with the average size female figure. I'll just have to call it a pony.

Here it is in front of the Mr. Z Akhal Teke, with an old female figure that I bought ages ago (can't remember who made it, and NO, she is not going to be part of my Westworld). Like I said, I think it works alright for a female figure:

Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 _dsc3749

And to give you an idea of just how small this horse is, here it is in an overhead view with the Mr. Z Thoroughbred. This would make a great Bill the Pony (Lord of the Rings):

Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 _dsc3750

I didn't bother with the modern day saddle as it's utterly worthless (maybe I could use the shape for a mold or something to make my own saddle. The one I had made for the Akhal Teke was close to $300, so that's a no-go for this pony. The best accessory to come with this set (to add a bit of Old West flavor) is the saddle bags and bedroll (though the bedroll is a bit too small to be actually be practical -- as it isn't even wide enough for a figure to lay on, or be covered with), and they are made of real cloth and suede (you can see the bags are stuffed with foam).

Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 _dsc3751

Then there's this fellow. Archtoys' Tom Cruise as Nathan Algren in The Last Samurai (not sure yet what his name is going to be, or his occupation, but the head fits for the time period...) Pretty decent likeness, but that hair seam is bothering me. The hair is however nicely sculpted (I don't have any of those fancy bust/mannequin stands, sorry). He has the mole on his left cheek, but I didn't notice that speck of black foam near his nose until after I took the pics, so no, that isn't actually on the sculpt.

Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 _dsc3752
Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 _dsc3752
Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 _dsc3753
Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 _dsc3754

(Since I have -- if I remember correctly -- 3 Doc Holidays (Val Kilmer) PO'd, I might give him some of the clothing and accessories and make him another well-dressed gambler/gunfighter like Bat Masterson.)

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Great updates! The Hanoverian is indeed tiny, but I use the one I have for female figures and I think it is fine for that. I've ridden horses that small myself many times in the past (Icelandic horses, as well as horse x pony crosses) without any issues, so it's certainly plausible.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Wow, I see what you mean about the horse. But it still looks great. That female figure would be a modern tourist without a whole lot of sense tripping into your Westworld. Smile I like the Tom head, haven't received mine yet. It would work on one of your extra Docs figures.

Ovy

Ovy
Can totally see Tomas Cruz wearing a fine suit with a bolo tie, stretching out his arms in front of his lackeys who are standing at the end of a saloon stairway. He could be a businessman, livery owner, horse trader. Or he found oil somewhere around. Appearing in this little town for everyone's benefit and profit...

Or some Pinkerton Agent. Misión Imposible.

Oh and I know people crafting 1/6 saddles. They are more expensive than 1/6 space suits and cars.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks everyone. Ovy, those are some great suggestions for the Tom character.

Well, "Lady Adler" showed up today. Boy oh boy is this thing disappointing. The body is absolute garbage, the tiny feet make it very difficult to get her stand up, and she can't stand up straight or she loses balance. Like many of these generic female bodies, there is no flex in the torso, so she can't bend enough to get her to sit on her horse. Hopefully, one of the smaller TBL bodies or Jiaou will allow the clothes to be used, otherwise this figure is a bust and a complete waste of money. Some of the accessories are okay (the pistols and leather work for the gun belt and decorative belt, plus the whiskey bottle and rope); the hands are very tiny and have a hard time holding the double-barrel shotgun, which, in reality this woman wouldn't even be able to even lift the thing, let alone fire it. The hat of course, is pretty much a lost cause. It's soft enough on the brim to reshape it -- the normal crease near the front of the hat is way off center for the hollow part, and makes it look odd to me, so I played with it to get it where I wanted it. Anyway, here she is in all her crappy glory. (I blame the rep from LIM Toys for buying this since he said they had no plans to make Sadie, and this was -- at the time -- the only option available. Now I'm looking forward even more to the Verycool "Shadie" as this thing sucks -- BIG TIME.

Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 _dsc3755

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
That's disappointing, Mark, but hopefully you can transfer the salvageable pieces to another body and still end up with a cool character.

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
I love the ever growing cast of your "Westworld" universe, Mark. You really designed some "stryking" characters, and I'm looking forward to seeing first pics of them in a diorama/outdoor setting.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Sorry for the disappointment, it does seem a noticeable letdown from the promo pics. :/ But I think once it's on a better body and has better hands/feet, it will at least help.

csyeung

csyeung
oh man, that's disappointing to hear, esp since mine is yet to arrive. I may steer away from sw toys in the future. The ciri was ok despite the busty body they used and my danvers was ok after I plopped the HT sculpt on top. This, I think there may be too much work to make it look good. I'm with you, I grabbed this because Lim said they wouldn't make one as well. =(

140Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 Empty Re: Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:02 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, it's been a bit since I posted anything new, so thought I'd show a few new characters (mostly finished).

Dr. Galen Whiloughby (still need his medical bag), physician & surgeon, Reverend Lewton Rudd (needs a hat still) & Cord McNally, cowpuncher/cowboy

Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 _dsc3756

George Ikard, bartender/bouncer at Mama Malone's

Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 _dsc3757

141Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 Empty Re: Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:57 am

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Very nice new additions, especially the first three. The tailoring on those outfits is natural and fitting for their professions, the preacher headsculpt has a lot of character - who is that? And well without the hat we can also see what a good job the sculptor did on the receding hairline.

It's amusing to see Lando as a bartender-type character, he seems very serious about his job.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Very cool Mark!

143Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 Empty Re: Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:40 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh, these are all excellent! It must have taken a while to acquire all those outfits (made by Amy, I presume?) Also, very good choices for headsculpts --- yes even the 'Lando' one. Very Happy

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The characters are coming along very nicely and I agree that the choices of head sculpts are excellent. Lando also gives me a bit of a barber vibe. Of course, back then, people multi-tasked in such professions. Smile

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
These characters are great additions to your cast. I like your choice of head sculpts very much, Mark!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
AlKelAstra91 wrote:Very nice new additions, especially the first three. The tailoring on those outfits is natural and fitting for their professions, the preacher headsculpt has a lot of character - who is that? And well without the hat we can also see what a good job the sculptor did on the receding hairline.

It's amusing to see Lando as a bartender-type character, he seems very serious about his job.

Thanks. The preacher is from a DiD uboat character:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t4748-new-product-did-1-6-scale-d80153-wwii-german-u-boat-seaman-obermaat-erwin?highlight=Erwin

I pretty much knew right off the bat, that the Sideshow Lando was going to be in my Western world, especially since he didn’t look anything like Billy Dee. And as the bartender and bouncer, I figured a serious man would be more appropriate— especially since he has to also protect Mama Malone’s interests and person.  Very Happy

BAMComix wrote:Very cool Mark!
Thanks, Dal. Appreciate it.

skywalkersaga wrote:Oh, these are all excellent! It must have taken a while to acquire all those outfits (made by Amy, I presume?) Also, very good choices for headsculpts --- yes even the 'Lando' one. Very Happy

Thanks, S. Interestingly, I chose the Xensation sculpt (and body) because he sort of reminded me of Milburn Stone, who played the Doctor on the old Gunsmoke TV series:

Mark Stryker Old West Theme (Characters) - Page 6 5f318310

Almost all of the outfit is from Redman’s Django Doctor figure (just stripped him down and put it on the Xensation body — the Redman body was trash); hat is from Battlegear Toys. Interestingly, the only thing on any of the others that Amy did was the bartender apron on George. The Reverend’s jacket was from an old Sideshow Doc Holiday, the Bible is an eBay item (it actually opens and has print and illustrations — pretty cool). The rest of the clothing, belts, suspenders and boots, are from Battlegear Toys (trivia time: most clothes back then, despite Hollywood always tailoring things perfectly, is that they were “one-size-fits-all” for adults (women would readjust their clothes, or make their own) — hence the reason many men who worked jobs that required looking “respectable” but needing the sleeves out of the way used those arm garters you see on George). The hat on the cowboy is from an older figure (I think Sideshow) I got off Zhukov’s Attic.

GubernatorFan wrote:The characters are coming along very nicely and I agree that the choices of head sculpts are excellent.  Lando also gives me a bit of a barber vibe.  Of course, back then, people multi-tasked in such professions. Smile

Thanks, Ian. Yeah in many towns (as it will be in mine) the barber was also the dentist — because he had the fancy reclining chair.

Randam Hajile wrote:These characters are great additions to your cast. I like your choice of head sculpts very much, Mark!

Thanks. I’m trying my best to find faces with a bit of character.

Ovy

Ovy
Yeah great headsculpt choices, even the young preacher looks worn out and appropriately older for the environment and period he lives in.

I imagine Dr. Galen is a studied man from the city and just new in town for some reason. Maybe he is on the run.

Maybe George gets lucky, winning a patch of land in a game, later finding oil there. He becomes the Major of the Town and lives a happy life until one day his past catches up in the figure of notorious smuggler Hannibal Solomon.

The cowboy is just perfect, maybe an old photo of him will become the mascot of a cigarette company one day.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, Ovy. Interesting possible background story; you always come up with some cool ideas. The Doc is indeed a “learned” man (from Pennsylvania), but like a lot of men who served in the war (Civil, as an Army Surgeon), he traveled West to get away from it, and discover a new frontier.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Nice outfits and head combinations! Your wild west world will be wondrous Smile

Are you going to weather most of your outfits or rather keep them clean for the shelf?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’ll definitely (try to) weather the outfits that need it, like the cowboy, for sure. Just need to figure out how to do it without actually ruining them.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I’ll definitely (try to) weather the outfits that need it, like the cowboy, for sure. Just need to figure out how to do it without actually ruining them.

A very understandable dilemma.

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Great looking crew!

BAMComix

BAMComix
They all look awesome Mark!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, fellas. Appreciate it. I have so many characters to make, it’s ridiculous.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum