OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

COOModel Gothic Knights (standard edition/red edition) and Warhorse

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Ovy wrote:So much of my life time wasted making custom thermoplastic armor.
I wonder if it's too late to move my life to Hong Kong? I could be 'Western expert'. I would even allow them to use my face scan for headsculpts. And I should delete all my stupid internet comments beforehand.

But are you going to take Valiarde to Hong Kong with you? And please don't delete comments on our forum. It is sacrosanct! Smile

Ovy wrote:I also had to think of the Red Guards from Star Wars, I think they had a very beautiful design.

I agree, they did look interesting, and I even own one -- reconstituted from parted-out parts.  But I felt that they were trying too hard to make something reminiscent of the original and yet different (and you can say that about a lot of their design), and that is it doomed by simply being part of the irredeemable Sequel Trilogy. Smile

TravelGuide wrote:nevermind, found the answer. Gothic plate armour was developed during the 15th century in Germany.

Ovy wrote:It's based on the art/architecture style called Gothic, 12+century. (Cologone Cathedral for example)

The style was named by some Italian architect using the Italian slur 'gotico', which meant barbarian or something negative because he found the buildings to look brutal.

The word probably evolved from the Latin words the old Romans used for the Goths.

Later the term 'Gothic' was reclaimed as something positive because those Gothic cathedrals etc actually look kinda cool.

I guess the Gothic Armor was called that way because it was developed and made around the same time (~15 century) and looked so detailed and intricate like you would expect from the art style. Although they probably called it 'Gothic' only some hundred years later.

You have most of your answer, I'd only point out that the reason for calling it "Gothic," originally in reference to architecture and 3D art, later in 2D art as well, was to come up with a name that implied something different from "Romanesque."  Romanesque hearkened back to Late Roman (and "Byzantine") art and architecture, with lots of round arches, decorative brickwork, etc.  Gothic, with its pointier arches and details, was different.  So what is different from Roman? Gothic -- as the name of a Germanic group that fought the Romans (and sacked Rome in 410), before settling down and gradually Romanizing in Italy and Spain.  Anyway, that's the origin of the name.  Given the influences and presences of art on the later medieval armor, it gets called Gothic too.  Interestingly enough, probably because there is less art applied to it in any obvious way, earlier armor is not described as Romanesque or anything.

In American usage, "Gothic" also refers to dark, even horror-related literature and art (usually set amid "Gothic" art and architecture); and, by extension, the Gothic look or lifestyle or whatever it is.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

shovelchop81

Nice, been looking at these for a bit now. Perhaps the red is a sort of tribute or substitute idea to the armour worn by Dracula in the beginning of the Coppola's film? Shame the weapons are historically all wrong for a knight of this period though, especially a mounted one! Should come with a mace or warhammer, rondel dagger, 'Crecy' styled sword tapered to a very sharp point and a thick ridge line for half-swording and 'murder strikes' with the pommel. this is entry level historical knowledge if you like weapons, can't believe after all the work they did to get the armour right they got this wrong, remember the old Marx knights that came in various colours years and years ago? They at least got the mace right! Wink

gooboo

Looks like COOModel is going to release these on time. I was expecting them to be late, but I'm happy to be wrong.

https://bbs.bbicn.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=390200&extra=page%3D1

COOModel Gothic Knights (standard edition/red edition) and Warhorse - Page 2 Gothic10

Valiarde

WAsn't it last year, where so many preorders came out in december?

anyway, great, can't wait to see firsst reviews here! Smile

gooboo

Just got my invoice from Giantoy. Looks like I'll be getting my hands on this one soon.

Valiarde

Valiarde
gooboo wrote:Just got my invoice from Giantoy. Looks like I'll be getting my hands on this one soon.
Awesome! 
I ordered with an european shop, so probably still half a year away. Can't wait for your pics and what you think about the new "lightweight" armor technology  cheers

gooboo

Finally got my knight in the mail today. Overall, I will say that I really like the figure, but the armor came with some quality control issues. Fortunately, I was able to fix these for the most part.

COOModel Gothic Knights (standard edition/red edition) and Warhorse - Page 2 Gothic12

The figure poses much better than the earlier Milanese knight I have. The armor is so heavy on that figure it can't hold its arms up, and it's really hard to make the figure stand up on its own. This one clearly does not have that problem. The armor is lighter and the joints on the underlying figure feel stiffer so it holds poses well.

The armor looks really nice, but I noticed early on some of the pieces didn't fit together quite well. I needed to bend them into a better shape with my own hands, in particular the gorget around the neck. The helmet doesn't quite fit properly, but rather than trying to bend the small pieces of the helmet I just sliced off bits of the hair from the headsculpt. I don't plan on displaying the knight without its helmet, so I didn't really care about cutting up the sculpt. The "riveted" leather straps are glued on, so they can come off if your pull to hard. I had a few fall off, but was able to fix them with super glue.

COOModel Gothic Knights (standard edition/red edition) and Warhorse - Page 2 Gothic11

The articulation of the armor is impressive, but in some parts just felt unnecessary. The armor on the shins has an annoying gap instead of closing all the way. A little bit of superglue didn't work, so maybe I need to use more or find another way to weld the two halves together. I would have preferred the greaves be one solid piece below the knee instead of two with "fake" hinges to make it look like it's more than one piece. The gauntlets could have been one piece as well, since you can't even move the fingers. The way it is now the gauntletss are a little large and don't stay on top of the hand easily. The articulation on the joints is great, however.

Overall some quality control issues with the figure, but nothing that isn't fixable, I think. Definitely not a beginners figure. It looks really nice once you've spent some time fussing around with the armor.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Thanks for the Review Smile
Good to hear the lighter armor is indeed an upgrade. And the qc issues are sadly common with coo...but not many other companies as an option.

Looks very nice

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Too bad about the issues, although it looks like you managed to overcome it. He looks excellent.

blackpool

blackpool
that knight looks fantastic indeed! I love the use of Matt Damon's likeness, probably following the movie "the last duel"

COOModel Gothic Knights (standard edition/red edition) and Warhorse - Page 2 Matt-damon-in-the-last-duel

Valiarde

Valiarde
Yeah pretty sure that was the inspiration for the hs, blackpool Smile

-I also ordered the horse with it. I think it makes for a striking display and hopefully the little flaws wont be too bad

Last week I visited a small castle and found some 1/1 armors

COOModel Gothic Knights (standard edition/red edition) and Warhorse - Page 2 A4ab8611

I think the posing isn't very good here Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Certainly a very comparable piece.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
For the poor or cautious among us, there are always affordable alternatives to look out for.  

This one is suitable maybe more for a suit of armor in a victorian mansion or a museum -- totally static, and very slightly overscale, but -- and this is always a strong argument -- thrift store $7.

COOModel Gothic Knights (standard edition/red edition) and Warhorse - Page 2 Bela_s12

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum