OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19575910

COOMODEL 1/6 EL004 EMPIRE LEGEND - JIHAD PONTIFEX (STANDARD EDITION)
BARCODE: 6971242121997

The 1/6 Scale Jihad Pontifex (Standard Edition) Action Figure Specially Features:
- One (1) head sculpt
- One (1) super active body
- Six (6) pieces of interchangeable palms

Costumes:
- One (1) white coronet
- One (1) white coat
- One (1) white cappa
- One (1) white waist band
- One (1) pair of white pants
- One (1) pair of boots
- One (1) red robe

Accessories:
- One (1) cross crosier
- Three (3) sacred hanging stuffs
- One (1) black figure stand

NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19580010
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19580210
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19580310
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19580410
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19580510
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19580610
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19580710
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19580810
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19580910
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19581010
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19581110
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19581212
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19581311

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19582610

COOMODEL 1/6 EL005 EMPIRE LEGEND - JIHAD PONTIFEX (LEGENDARY EDITION)
BARCODE: 6971242122000

About 20% of all materials used for armors and weapon are pure copper, while the rest 80% of which are alloy

The 1/6 Scale Jihad Pontifex (Legendary Edition) Action Figure Specially Features:
- One (1) head sculpt
- One (1) super active body
- Six (6) pieces of interchangeable palms
- Four (4) pieces of gloved palms

Costumes:
- One (1) white coronet
- One (1) red coat
- One (1) red cappa
- One (1) white waist band
- One (1) pair of red pants
- One (1) pair of boots
- One (1) red robe

Armors:
- One (1) coronet shaped helmet
- One (1) upper body plain armor with scriptures
- One (1) pair of shoulder armors
- One (1) pair of vambraces
- One (1) leather armor belt

Weapons:
- One (1) sword with scabbard
- One (1) war hammer
- One (1) triangle shield with scriptures

Accessories:
- One (1) cross crosier
- One (1) scripture hanging stuff
- Three (3) sacred hanging stuffs
- One (1) black figure stand

NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19582711
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19582812
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19582910
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19583012
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19583112
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19583210
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19583413
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19583510
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19583610
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19583710
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19583810
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19583911
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19584010
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19584110
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19584310
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19584311
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19584410
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19584610

#newproduct #CooModel #LegendsoftheEmpire #Priesthood #HolyWar #male #historical

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ok, now I have to clean my desk. This made me spray out my energy drink. First the mild chuckle at the apparent substitution of "Jihad" for "Crusade" -- ok, they are both Holy War, and probably both silly from the Chinese point of view. But, really, they couldn't get a better English translation? And it is not just a question of machine translation (though they might have used that), as it is right on the promotional images. But then there was the Greek writing, or I should say pseudo-Greek writing. For some reason Latin was not good enough for a Pope. So he had to go to Greek. Or rather to English ("but deliver us from evil", "our Father, who art in Heaven...") with the text font simply swapped to the font mapping of Greek (or is it actually the Symbols font), which is neither here nor there, and not entirely phonetic. People, please! No Other than that, the figures are, in the case of the Standard Edition, usable for something fairly realistic, and in the case of the Legendary Edition, well, usable for something rather more fantastical. Smile

Delanie

Delanie
Is he supposed to be anyone in particular other than a generic pope?

my first thought when i saw the armoured version was of the 'chess board' components and started to wonder if he could only move diagonally!

ahbake

Gotta love the Jihad Pontifex name, simply too awesome Laughing
The sculpt is brilliant, I'm guessing this is based on some game?

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:Ok, now I have to clean my desk. This made me spray out my energy drink. First the mild chuckle at the apparent substitution of "Jihad" for "Crusade" -- ok, they are both Holy War, and probably both silly from the Chinese point of view. But, really, they couldn't get a better English translation? And it is not just a question of machine translation (though they might have used that), as it is right on the promotional images. But then there was the Greek writing, or I should say pseudo-Greek writing. For some reason Latin was not good enough for a Pope. So he had to go to Greek. Or rather to English ("but deliver us from evil", "our Father, who art in Heaven...") with the text font simply swapped to the font mapping of Greek (or is it actually the Symbols font), which is neither here nor there, and not entirely phonetic. People, please! No Other than that, the figures are, in the case of the Standard Edition, usable for something fairly realistic, and in the case of the Legendary Edition, well, usable for something rather more fantastical. Smile

Not too fantastical at all, trinkets and stuff aside.  Presumably this is Julius II (1443-1513) the Warrior Pope.  The likeness could work from the below bust of him, though admittedly it's pretty generic.

There's yet one more reason why "Jihad Pontifex" is somewhat off.  Though this Pope did personally lead troops on the field of battle, it was in Italy.  He did favour reviving a crusade to retake Constantinople  (this was somewhat after the perod of the main Crusades) but it didn't happen in his Papacy so he didn't personally fight in a crusade (and afaik no Pope ever did).

BTW, just because it's on the Promo pics, I don't doubt that Jihad is a still machine mistranslation.  I think even at top level, when they do Product Labels and Promo Pics, sometimes they use machine translate and apparently can't find an English Speaker to look things over.

NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 Origin10

NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 Scuola10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
MBAM, Julius II was indeed the last Pope to lead his armies, but that does not mean the fantastical armor has any chance of resembling what he wore. The part of the helmet that is realistic hearkens back to much older styles than the early 16th century. Julius II is also usually portrayed with a beard, which he wore a sign of mourning for about a year in 1511-1512. There were earlier helmets worn by bishops (often enough German ones) that were fitted out with actual mitres (not armored pieces of that shape). But yes, the look of the Legendary Edition is neat, although only the Standard Edition is fairly realistic. I suppose "legendary" was appropriate in this case -- certainly more so than "Jihad."

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:MBAM, Julius II was indeed the last Pope to lead his armies, but that does not mean the fantastical armor has any chance of resembling what he wore. The part of the helmet that is realistic hearkens back to much older styles than the early 16th century. Julius II is also usually portrayed with a beard, which he wore a sign of mourning for about a year in 1511-1512. There were earlier helmets worn by bishops (often enough German ones) that were fitted out with actual mitres (not armored pieces of that shape). But yes, the look of the Legendary Edition is neat, although only the Standard Edition is fairly realistic. I suppose "legendary" was appropriate in this case -- certainly more so than "Jihad."

Fair enough.  The reason that I pushed back against "something rather more fantastical" is because I think that statement, though you were fully correct, is susceptible to misleading here.  People's immediate reaction to this figure, including my own first reaction, will be that this must be some kind of outright loony flight of fancy, like some Warhammer character, or "I'm guessing this is based on some game," etc.  Whereas the reality is somewhat different insofar as the "core concept" of an historical War Pope, red robes over armor, sword-wielding, and on an actual field of battle, is actually historically true.  The Conqueror of Mirandola painting, though long after the fact, is still a thing from a century and a half ago, not something that a toy designer invented yesterday.  Sure, the helmet and the accoutrements are silly exaggeration.  But arguably this figure with all those accoutrements may still be no more further off the actual historical personage than say, most of the iconography of Joan of Arc we routinely accept.

Oddly enough, the thing that bugged me more was the red robes, although on reflection there's no problem there, because the "cardinal red, pope white" color scheme only came long after Julius II.

I've got a 1/6 Moses statue (which Michelangelo made for this guy's tomb), so if I got this figure, I could see doing something interesting with that (though Julie never saw the statue, of course...)

Valiarde

Valiarde
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 Screen10

There is this medieval cosplay picture on pinterest depicting julius II which seems to be the base for this creation...
Nice head and stylish fantasy outfit

I'm liking this legend series from coomodel - they are going for OOOMPH looking figures with many details. There is still no series or brand for historic correct figures but we are getting some very cool stuff lately.

Theflyingman

I'm really liking this too despite most of my collection being modern monster hunters. Maybe I can fit him into my backstory somehow haha. Bad news when I'm trying to twist things to fit a figure into my collection 😅

Valiarde

Valiarde
I could totally see him as a monster hunter - especially against Vampires or demons Smile cross and holy water...and his arcane scrolls to protect him from spirits or witch spells hmmm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
LOL now I have seen everything. Thank you, Valiarde, for finding the source of inspiration. Which is insane, but not as insane... I'm not sure whether it is a good or bad sign that they are taking such random internet memes (or even just images) as the sources for their figures. I'm fine with it as a fantasy figure, just not as a quasi-semi-historical one. I suppose in their defense they did not actually claim this to be Julius II or even technically a pope...

Ghost808

Ghost808
This will appeal to warhammer 40k fans, I'll bet. It has a strong Imperium vibe about it. Could be great for kitbashing inquisitors or commanders.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ha, wonder if the cosplayer is aware.....

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

shazzdan

shazzdan
There are a lot of things to like about it. It's great to see a headsculpt of an older person. The only other one I've seen recently is Ed Harris. The civilian vestments are pretty neat. The armoured figure is pure fantasy but well executed. He would work as the leader of a vampire/demon hunting religious order.

3Afr

3Afr
I add an unpublished photo ... to come back to this character, despite the inconsistencies that you described in the previous posts, I really like this figure, which I find very original ...

NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 B6b66010

teamweapon

when i first saw this i thought "MUST HAVE"
i dont buy full figures very often AT ALL.
and they dont have much of a theme either, the last i got was TBL horus 2, while the detail is fantastic on that, it is incredibly difficult to balance on those diddy chicken feet it has haha.
so i think i will get just the priest as im not bothered about all the armour shenanigans haha Very Happy

Valiarde

Valiarde
Yeah a good head sculpt can make such a difference. I don't think that priest would look so impressive with another head. So kudos to them for choosing that one...

blackpool

blackpool
that's one surprising, original, even unique release, to say the least... No interest for me but the tailoring and crafting of accessories look very promising! And the elder man headsculpt is very welcome!(I had to laugh at the "jihad pontifex" title, marketing has no limits lmao)

JohnByng

Bishops did fight in medieval times. From what I recall they were banned from spilling Christian blood so they carried a mace rather than a sword or spear.

Whether that is true or not I don't know, but it fits with the other sneaky ways that religious folk get around the rules!

However, I agree this is a fantasy figure and a very interesting one.

3Afr

3Afr
"Jihad" left on the promo photos... the correction has been made: "Holy War Priest" Wink
NEW PRODUCT: COOMODEL: 1/6 Legends of the Empire - Priesthood of The Holy War [Standard Edition/Legendary Edition] #EL004/EL005 19284910

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Hah, nice... Thanks, 3Afr. Someone must have been able to get through to them. Smile But they still have the fake Greek... (probably harder to change that on the photos, even if they did change it on the actual product). Really, it is not that hard to locate the Greek text of the Lord's Prayer. Or better yet the Latin one. Smile

shazzdan

shazzdan
JohnByng wrote:Bishops did fight in medieval times. From what I recall they were banned from spilling Christian blood so they carried a mace rather than a sword or spear.

Whether that is true or not I don't know, but it fits with the other sneaky ways that religious folk get around the rules!

However, I agree this is a fantasy figure and a very interesting one.

Bishops fought big time. They were expected to raise and lead troops just like every other land holder. It is a myth that there was some sort of prohibition against shedding blood. Plenty of clerics participated in battle with swords, axes, and spears and were rewarded for it afterwards, not punished.

St. Cuthbert was a monk when he participated in the battles against King Penda of Mercia in the mid 7th century. He wielded a spear, not a mace, and kept this weapon with him when he rode into Mailros after the great battle at Winwidfield. St. Emilian was a bishop who wielded a sword and led an army against the Saracens at Autun in 725. He was never rebuked for this bloodshed, but instead credited with helping to save Christianity from the Moslem threat and, like Cuthbert, was later canonised into sainthood.

Another example of a warrior priest is Bishop Michael of Regensberg, who led troops and actively fought against the Magyars at Lechfeld in 955. Another is Bruno, Bishop of Touls (later to become Pope Leo IX) who commanded an army and participated in the fighting in Lorraine in 1026. Both of these clerics wielded lances and swords, not maces. In the early Robin Hood legends, Friar Tuck was a skilled swordsman; he wasn’t given a quarterstaff until much later. Wimund, an English bishop in the mid 12th century was wounded by a hand axe thrown by a Scottish bishop who objected to Wimund’s demand for tribute.  Another example is Absalon, a Danish archbishop who personally led and fought in many battles from 1160 to 1184 to free Denmark from German rule. His statue in Copenhagen depicts him wielding an axe, not a mace. In 1171, Archbishop Christian of Mainz, was given the command of an army in the Lombard war and is said to have personally killed nine foes with his sword. 1219 King Valdemar II of Denmark and Archbishop Andrew of Lund led a crusade into Estonia. Andrew wielded an axe and a spear. Another incident is at the Battle of Mansourah in 1250. Lord Joinville described a priest named John of Voyssey who donned helmet and gambeson, and single-handedly routed eight Saracens with a spear, not a mace. The Abbot Henry, afterwards Archbishop of Narbonne, went at the head of the armies sent against the Albigenses armed with a sword. At the Battle of Otterburn in 1388, Froissart mentions William of North Berwick, a Scottish deacon who distinguishes himself with a battle axe. This man was not chastised for his using a bladed weapon; he was promoted for his valour to the position of Archdeacon of Aberdeen later in the same year.

Pope Julius II campaigned extensively to increase the papacy’s temporal power. His militancy began as an Archbishop when he was sent to lead an army restore papal authority in Umbria in 1474. He succeeded in reducing several towns. In 1506 he personally directed the campaigns against Bologna and Bentivogli and set out at the head of his army with a lance and a sword. In 1510-11 he once again took personal command of his army and set out at its head to do battle with the King of France in Northern Italy. It is said that when he commissioned Michelangelo to sculpt a bronze statue of himself and was asked if he would like to be depicted with a book in his hand, the Pope allegedly replied, “Why a book? Show me with a sword.”

There is a strong tradition of warrior bishops in the English see of Durham. Their coat of arms included a crozier crossed with a sword instead of the usual pair of croziers. Many of them rode to battle and actively participated in the fighting. At the Battle of Falkirk in 1298, Anthony Bek, the Archbishop of Durham, led the second column of Edward’s host against the Scottish left flank and was actively involved in the fighting. He wielded a lance and a sword like the knights under his command. Another was Thomas de Hatfield (Bishop of Durham, 1345-1381) who wielded a lance and an axe in battle. The following excerpt is from the Ballad of Durham Field (fought in 1346) and describes de Hatfield and five hundred of his priests wielding edged weapons in the battle (the bishop wields an axe and the priests have spears):

Five hundred priests said mass that day
In Durham in the field,
And afterwards, as I heard say,
They bare both spear and shield. [XLIV]

The Bishop orders himselfe to fight,
With his battell-axe in his hand;
He said, ‘This day now I will fight
As long as I can stand!’ [XLV]

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:Hah, nice... Thanks, 3Afr. Someone must have been able to get through to them. Smile But they still have the fake Greek... (probably harder to change that on the photos, even if they did change it on the actual product). Really, it is not that hard to locate the Greek text of the Lord's Prayer. Or better yet the Latin one. Smile

Wow, it's almost as if you're saying -- yet how could it be? -- that this Pope's selection of his accoutrements was not, somehow, infallible? Smile

shazzdan wrote:Bishops fought big time. They were expected to raise and lead troops just like every other land holder. It is a myth that there was some sort of prohibition against shedding blood. Plenty of clerics participated in battle with swords, axes, and spears and were rewarded for it afterwards, not punished.

Extensive, useful and enlightening contextualizing, Shazzdan, thank you.  Though I haven't seen this theorized, I personally suspect that the very common myth about clerics only being able to use blunt instruments rather than swords (supposedly to avoid shedding blood) is actually a thing that comes from the character classes of D & D, where Gary Gygax had the tough challenge of creating limitations that could roughly equate the effectiveness of fighters, wizards and clerics in a common party.

For purposes of this figure, though the general information about Bishops is instructive, I think he's meant to be an actual Pope, which historically does cut it down to just about only Julius II on the actual field of battle.  I do agree that his garb surely didn't look like this, but I suspect he probably did find something pretty distinctive to wear.

shazzdan

shazzdan
The myth about clerics and maces started with Victorian scholars and a misinterpretation of Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologiae.

I always wondered how you were supposed to avoid bloodshed by smacking someone with a mace.

Julius used a sword and lance, not a mace. They stopped using shields in battle by the time of Julius. The helmet is 13-14th century, not 15-16th C. The above mace is a ceremonial device that would weigh 10-15 pounds, not a weapon. Real maces tended to weigh 2-3 pounds (the heaviest outliers are around 3.5 lbs). The rare two-handed ones were around 5 pounds. It seems to me that they just copied the above cosplay costume and had no historical character in mind. I still think it looks pretty cool.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
shazzdan wrote:The myth about clerics and maces started with Victorian scholars and a misinterpretation of Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologiae.

I always wondered how you were supposed to avoid bloodshed by smacking someone with a mace.

I knew that Aquinas was central to the discussions about clerics going to war, but I did not know that the supposed distinction between swords and maces (which as you say, is kinda arbitrary) came from him, or the Victorians explaining him.  It must have been weird as a subject matter arising in Victorian times, insofar as, if I'm an actual medieval cleric going to war, the logical question does come up of which implements I am permitted.  But 600 years after the fact it would seem moot, not immediately relevant to any cleric's war plans, and a fairly poor tool to explain the history of 600 years before.  You've got me curious now, can you explain further or effortlessly point me to a source?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum