OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Ovy

Ovy
The following post was made in the long past 2010s, but a complete reboot of the figure starts on page two.

Greetings.

As mentioned in the Introduction thread, I'm new to the hobby, my first 1/6 Scale Figure is a customized "Triad Toys Riza Miyamoto", which I customized into my character Jaroyesh from Guild Wars 2, a fantasy/part steampunk MMO. Jaroyesh, or 'Roy', was a Crusader, a soldier of the Vigil Order, fighting against the undead in the invasion of Orr. She is equipped with heavy armor, sword, long axe and a shotgun. I also made a mace and a roundshield, but I didn't like them, I'll have to make them again.

The shotgun is the newest weapon, there are older pictures where she is wielding the sword and the axe, but the painting on the armor isn't finished there. I will make new pictures of the other weapons soon.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished O68sTr5

Magnetic break action shotgun.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished 15R1VaH

The background is a print of a screenshot of Orr. Orr was once a human kingdom, until a powerful mage used an ancient spell to protect it against an invasion. The Spell sank the entire island an turned every living creature into an undead servant of the mage, who became a powerful Lich. (The landscape and some themes/stories/items are quite inspired by Lovecraft) After the Lich was killed, a powerful undead Dragon took over Orr and raised it from the ocean. Jaroyesh is there to clean up this mess.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished AfvwOaK

I also made three Risen Humans from Orr (Zombies...) to fight Jaroyesh. They were made from the skeletons from 'The Bones Book'. The joints were reinforced with wire and magnets, I am still trying, it's a bit messy. I will post more zombie footage in the future.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished VdXxm1l

The original figure, Riza Miyamoto. I mainly chose it for the hairstyle of the headsculpt an because it was cheap on ebay. Now I have 2 Katanas to open letters. The trenchcoat is wired for posing, I cut off the upper part, painted it black and reused it.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished 41fAFSWXEkL

Progress pictures:

For the armor I used "Worbla', a thermoplastic used by cosplayers. It was recommendend to me by a friend.
It is very light an robust.
I started with the boots, added some greenstuff pyramids to fit the armor design of the original.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished 9L3xFEJ

I used more greenstuff on some cheap biker hands from China to make the gauntlets:
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished 5Uyk783

My first use of neodym magnets on the chest.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished MTlszOQ

The pauldrons are supposed to look more 'fantasy', also equipped with magnets. I added a gorget because I can. And rivets, I like rivets.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished GNgQwlh

The 'Vigil' helmet is inspired by Greek helmets. I still have to add the hair for the crest. Brush bristles maybe? Or just make a static sculpt? I am open for suggestions.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished UYTab1e

The clothing under the armor is very basic, just spare leather and some glue.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished G4vMF88

All parts were primed with black spray and then painted with vallejo metallic color. The texture of the material fits the brute style of the armor, I think. I increased the 'hammered' effect on the upper chestpiece, the elbows and the plates on the boots, using putty from the bottle.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished LuxVFKG

I scaled a screenshot of the axe in the desired size, printed it on adhesive paper an put it on a thermoplastic sheet, then cut it out. The blades were then added to a wooden rod, some greenstuff rivets were added.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished DVUpK4R

For the sword I  also used a screenshot. It took some time to find a scale that is not too fantasy/oversized and no too tiny/realistic. The sword is designed in the style of the Norn - the Norn are giant Viking/Native Americans hybrids living in the cold Shiverpeaks.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished APsXU1f

For the Shotgun I used a lot of tiny magnets for future interchanging of parts.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished U8T0ezp

I will post some more Undead when I put their progress pics together like those above.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Holy crap!!! 1st off Ovy, welcome to the board and to the hobby! 2nd, damn, how the hell is this your 1st 1/6 build!? So impressive! Until I saw the WIP pics, I totally assumed most of what I was seeing was kitbashed from pre-existing parts. You did such an incredible job on the armor and weapons! Love those swords and the shotgun is brilliant. What did you work on before you started doing 1/6 stuff? Based on this, I assume you've got experience from some sort of other creative projects before?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Great work. Nice to see Triad products still around and being used so effectively. That Worbia looks pretty neat, and something I now want to look into. Thanks for the insight into your kitbashing and customizing process. Very effective background, too.

Allotropos

Allotropos
a crazy amount of work went into this and thanks for sharing the WIP pics !
She looks awesome so far and cant wait to see more of her !

I did not know Worbla came in such thin pieces which is great !
I will need to look into that..

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
You're definitely a natural! Very talented and you seem to have picked up important tricks of the trade very early on and are using them really well! Love the use of a pencil sharpener on a wooden dowel to make spikes, might work on soft plastic from model kit sprues too.
Brush bristles work really well, just get a soft brush like one for buffing shoe polish.

ZombieKev

Fantastic work! You should send this to GW2 team. They love posting fan work like this on their Tumblr or FB page.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Very nice. I love how you have used those magnets.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Excellent work, and nice job on all the detailed WIP pics and explanations. Turned out great.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished C8485110

dadrab

dadrab
Well, this is one helluvan entrance, if I've ever seen one.

Masterful work, indeed. I like it all.

JohnByng

Wonderful figure and equipment! Great paintjob too!

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

@Spooky:
My main focus was always on drawing and some painting, but I made some planes and tanks as a kid, later two small WH40k armies. I liked customizing and kitbashing then, giving the guardsmen greenstuff beards and pimping their guns and armor etc. Also some molding for small items. I am sculpting small figures from time to time (for birthdays etc.) using polymer clay and old metal/plastic stuff I find. Before I started the 6 scale thing I made some cute little houses with empty jars and polymer clay.

@shovel
Brush bristles then, thanks!
And you can definitely sharpen plastic sprues, but I wanted wood for the rough texture.

@ZombieKev:
Yeah I heard about it, maybe I'll be finished by Halloween.

Orrian weapons:

I am not finished with arranging the Undead progress pictures yet, but here are their weapons.

Screenshots of the weapons were scaled, printed on adhesive Paper and put on polystyrene sheet, then cut out and combined with chop sticks. I sharpened them and drilled some corrosive effects into the blades. As the weapons are covered with corals and barnacles, I used cheap air drying clay as a base for greenstuff.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished WJmS7Hg

Some fake leather strips and greenstuff was used for the barnacles, then painted.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished BVTuuyy

I should not have use wood, it's quite heavy for the skeletons. A small magnet helps attaching it to the hand.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished Vvj0hNs

The spear has a shell attached to the end, stolen from Scotland. I might put a greenish tint over allle the weapons, but I am afraid to mess it all up.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished AfmLJRX

peter the painter

Beautifully detailed work, real craftmanship on show.

Cheers,

Peter.

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks peter!

Here are some pics of the undead. I am working on the armor of the grey guy in front, but no pics yet.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished SOeUZOT
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished Kt3a3rj

And the progress pictures. I used the Bones book skeleton.
It has moveable joints, but they are very limited and the figure can't stand on it's own. I drilled and used wires, but I am still experimenting, the wires tend to break after a while. Maybe you know better, more durable wire, or maybe there are small Lego joints?06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished UMJ07M5

The first one is a jawless girl with a glass eye, inspired by the ingame model of an undead character (upper right).
I used a lightweight gumlike modeling paste to build some muscle, greenstuff for the skin. A simple Corset was made from Worbla and string. An elastic fabric was weathered with acrylics.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished 0OaNp67

The mage guy is clothed in a cheap chinese warrior clothing, I might add some details later. Some weathering with acrylics.
The stiff fingers were broken and articulated. I put small magnets in the weapon hands so the thumb can be detatched. There is an ingame model with a hood and one with a mask, I made both and combined them. The mask is made from polymer clay, although I experimented with Worbla too.06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished MyB71ri

The last one shows the most skin an is more muscular. The armor is WIP, I want to make a high collar an give him a hunchback. I will use red moss to cover the joints on the shoulders
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished JZ8t8Xi

shazzdan

shazzdan
Ovy wrote:And the progress pictures. I used the Bones book skeleton.
It has moveable joints, but they are very limited and the figure can't stand on it's own. I drilled and used wires, but I am still experimenting, the wires tend to break after a while. Maybe you know better, more durable wire, or maybe there are small Lego joints?

Why not simply use the Coomodel skeleton? It has been specifically designed to do what you want. I've bought 3 or 4 for various projects and they are pretty good.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Metal-joint-COOMODEL-Movable-12-Skeleton-Body-2-0-1-6-Action-Figure-BS003-12/32708123682.html

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished HTB1eUyFLXXXXXaRapXXq6xXFXXXg

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow! How did I miss those barnacle weapons. Pretty awesome stuff. Your sculpting and paint skills are amazing. Really great work on all your creepy skeleton characters, as well. As Peter said, real craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing all the WIP pics (I'm terrible at that myself; when I have the time to actually work on a project, I forget to do that -- I just want to get the thing done).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished C8485110

Allotropos

Allotropos
your detailing with green stuff is fantastic !
I like how you also used the book of bones skeletons for your trio - and again, your skill with green stuff is commendable !

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Damn, the barnacle encrusted weapons look amazing!!! Seriously cool. And I second Shazzdan on the Coomodel skeletons. They're well priced and a lot of fun. Totally great to work with.

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks@all!

Ye, I tried to buy the coomodel skeleton more than one time, but it was sold out, the only available was the Coomodel Skelleton with a cowboy hat and a rifle, for thrice the price. So I bought the Bones Book ones to get started. Maybe I will get a coo when the other ones are finished. I think I will try copper cables or something for the joints next.

I started to make the boots and the armor for the Axe guy.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished LRJwol7

The greaves are formed after the Riza Miyamoto ones, made with Black Worbla. The first version of the armor is also made with black Worbla. I like the brown Worbla better, but I don't have much of it left. If your are interested in Worbla: https://www.worbla.com/
I made pauldrons for the armor, they will be magnetic/detachable.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished NscuGzi

Testing the armor
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished G8vQQ1V
Wazzzaaaaaap?
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished H4dwQRT

I used some grandma tights to wrap the mage, reminds me of an Angel of Death Statue I saw in Rome once. (It also had a Scythe and wings...)
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished 7EEowsL

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished 09cZn00
The material looks ugly with a light flash. I experimented with Ball magnets to make a magnetic joint for the head.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished A4w596i

Random full frontal.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished C6aD3vt

But now I am on vacation, the figures have to wait in the box, bye, have fun!
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished PUfLAyA

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
If it helps, a long time ago I did a review of the COO skeleton, here:
http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-071516b.htm

MerylAkiba

I wish I could order Worbla. Awesome figures and weaponry.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Ovy wrote:Ye, I tried to buy the coomodel skeleton more than one time, but it was sold out,

Apologies for that. When I posted the above link it was still available for sale.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Anyone know what is happening with the Coomodel skeleton? It still seems to be a current line on Coomodel's website but I can't find a single supplier anywhere on the planet who has it in stock.

blackpool

blackpool
Fascinating work on these customs! Thanks a ton for sharing all the steps, this is really inspiring! Absolutely fantastic!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Excellent sculpting skills!! I see we're both making bladed weapons from styrene sheet! LOL.

Ovy

Ovy
Thanks@all.

Thanks @GubernatorFan for the Coo review. I am not a fan of the head, but everything else looks good.
@shazzdan It seems to be available on monkey depot: http://www.monkeydepot.com/Boxed_Figure_COO_Models_Human_Skeleton_2_0_p/coom0031.htm
@MerylAkiba Maybe this helps: https://www.worbla.com/?page_id=6713

Now for the shield: It was one of the very first items I tried to make in January, but I did not find the right materials and failed 4 times. Now I found a round balsawood like plate (from some packaged round cheese), cut the lines and the hole into it. The shield Boss is made from Worbla.

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished RsfXlkZ

The failed shield bosses can be used as adorable hats.
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished 7Ypa5Sc

I used Worbla for the Rim, but was not pleased with the result. I had the idea to use a cable - I pulled the inner cables out, cut them to connect it into a ring. I put small nails into the rim and boss. The rivets on the back side where made with green stuff. A leather belt was added to fit the arm. (I might add a grip for the hand in the future.)
No glue had to be used.  

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished FlMQLVB

Now some shots with the shield in action. I just put some rags in the background to cover the transition between background and floor, I actually want to make a beach scenery with rotting dark seaweed. Does anyone have an idea what material I could use to reproduce stinking seaweed piles? (does not have to stink)

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished FJyKQdT

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished U7vLFFG

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished SzdZ7uo

Inspired by blackpools Captain America. Very Happy
06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished 4JH5GPV

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished T9nXodW

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished CNmvafq

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished 2MrS4p9

06/08/2022 Jaroyesz - Plate armor finished 8u5L5Pq

Click here for Bonus:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]