OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guess who! updated with Part Deux

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:15 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part Deux here.

I have wanted one for the longest time. But I have never seen it in sixth scale. So when I saw an unpainted resin cast on Etsy, I had to have it, although I can't say what I saw inspired me with too much confidence as to the quality of the likeness.

Now, my feeble painting skills might not have helped, but I do think the sculpt is a little soft (unlike the Danny Trejo one I posted previously), and it does not help that the hair style is uncharacteristically short and tidy (should have been more unkempt) and there is no sculpted stubble (if there were, I would have reflected it in paint job, but as it is, I haven't done so, yet). It is not too bad, but I don't know how good it is. That's why I'm posting this as a challenge: guess who it is.

First, here are a few in progress photos, from the original navy blue (yes! although you can't really see that in the photo) resin cast to various stages of painting.

Guess who! updated with Part Deux Chtb0110

About done. As Mark has taught me, I built a couple of flesh tone layers on top of the darker underlayer. Tried to bring a bit of life to the hair by dry brushing some lighter shade of brown and then a mixture of Vallejo's matte and gloss varnishes.

Guess who! updated with Part Deux Chtb0111Guess who! updated with Part Deux Chtb0210

Different angles:

Guess who! updated with Part Deux Chtb0310

I'm not zooming in too far, because macrophotos and detail. Smile

Guess who! updated with Part Deux Chtb0410

So who is it supposed to be? Smile

Since this wasn't working, apparently, a couple more images and even a suggestive spoiler in Post 12 below.

Part Deux here.

2Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:20 pm

davidd

davidd
Looks a bit like Lou Ferrigno to me.

3Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:03 pm

dadrab

dadrab
I’m going with Ted Cassidy or, possibly, Richard Kiel.

4Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:17 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you for playing, guys, but so far you are confirming that the head sculpt is not particularly spot on (again, my paint job might not have helped, or perhaps I should photograph in natural light and other angles). I can see a little bit of resemblance to Lou Ferrigno (the nose on the head sculpt might be a tad too thick for who it is supposed to be) and to Ted Cassidy, though I don't see Richard Kiel (then again I'm not that familiar with his appearances). It's someone younger than all those.

5Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:12 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
John Cena…? Or maybe even Antonio Banderas (the muscle body could be throwing everyone off)…?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Guess who! updated with Part Deux C8485110

6Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:14 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Richard Kiel was Jaws in a couple Roger Moore Bond movies, and one of his last appearances was as Adam Sandler’s former boss from the construction site in Happy Gilmore (the massive guy with the nail stuck in his head). He was also in Pale Raider with Clint Eastwood.

7Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:36 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Matt damon?

8Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:33 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Oh man, this really must be horrible... none of the above, but John Cena is getting warmer (which does not mean he is from the WWE).

9Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:45 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Is this Arnold in his younger days?

10Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:09 pm

Visisonor

Visisonor
Jean-Claude Van Damme?
(He probably isn't younger than other suggestions, as of now, but I kind of see a resemblance of his younger self)

11Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:54 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I am thrilled you are still guessing, but worried I screwed up since he's none of these. I'll post a couple more photos. Maybe even a suggestive spoiler for those who give up... Admittedly, this ought to be easier for Americans to identify.

12Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:17 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ok, couple more photos in case they are helpful and a spoiler that might nudge you in the right direction if you are ready to give up.

Guess who! updated with Part Deux Chtb0510

Guess who! updated with Part Deux Chtb0610

Spoiler:

Part Deux here. (Different head and subject)

13Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:20 pm

davidd

davidd
GubernatorFan wrote:I am thrilled you are still guessing, but worried I screwed up since he's none of these.

Maybe we're all just too blasted old, and we don't recognize the young whippersnappers. Crying or Very sad

14Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:54 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Is that supposed to be Tom Brady?

15Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:11 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Is that supposed to be Tom Brady?
Yes! But apparently supposed is the operative word. Smile

16Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:41 pm

davidd

davidd
GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:Is that supposed to be Tom Brady?
Yes! But apparently supposed is the operative word. Smile

A lot of us are geeks and nerds, man! We don't recognize sports figures. Razz

Errr... perhaps I'm only speaking for myself! Embarassed

17Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:26 am

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
@Davidd, same here. Laughing

Ok now I see Tom Brady, it's probably the slicked back hair sculpt that throws off the likeness.
I'm reminded of his hilarious cameo in TED 2.

18Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:12 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, I used to watch a crap ton of football until a couple years ago — it was taking over all my free time (as I would watch every College or NFL game I could — prefer college), and sadly, if it wasn’t for the thin-lipped smile, and the addition of the black grease-paint I wouldn’t have been able to guess who it was; but, that’s not a slam on Ian’s paint job, it’s not a very strong likeness for a guy that’s pretty good looking.

19Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:06 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:A lot of us are geeks and nerds, man! We don't recognize sports figures. Razz

Errr... perhaps I'm only speaking for myself!  Embarassed

rollotomasi wrote:@Davidd, same here.  Laughing

Ok now I see Tom Brady, it's probably the slicked back hair sculpt that throws off the likeness.
I'm reminded of his hilarious cameo in TED 2.

Well... like Rollo points out, he has made occasional cameos in movies (and shows -- Entourage). But yes, it has the potential to be more obscure, especially if one does not expect the context.

Stryker2011 wrote:Well, I used to watch a crap ton of football until a couple years ago — it was taking over all my free time (as I would watch every College or NFL game I could — prefer college), and sadly, if it wasn’t for the thin-lipped smile, and the addition of the black grease-paint I wouldn’t have been able to guess who it was; but, that’s not a slam on Ian’s paint job, it’s not a very strong likeness for a guy that’s pretty good looking.

Thank you, Mark, I appreciate it. Is the nose throwing it off a bit too? I had the feeling that if you know who it is supposed to be, you can find enough of him in there, but that it is not the best likeness (except there seems to be none other available in this scale).

20Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:37 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Part Deux

Got another unpainted head from Etsy, and gave it a try. I think it is a slightly better likeness and therefore easier to identify. I painted it to match the M33 body (last photo). The reference images I used make the head appear a little wider, perhaps, than the sculpt. So, guess who...

Guess who! updated with Part Deux Dc0110
Guess who! updated with Part Deux Dc0210
Guess who! updated with Part Deux Dc0310

21Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:50 pm

davidd

davidd
It's almost certainly not James Holzhauer, long-running champion on the TV game show Jeopardy and currently one of the Trivia Masters on the TV game show The Chase.

But... it could be.

22Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:26 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:It's almost certainly not James Holzhauer, long-running champion on the TV game show Jeopardy and currently one of the Trivia Masters on the TV game show The Chase.

But... it could be.
Nope, but thanks for playing (you can play again!) Smile This one did his most famous role in the mid-90s, although he is still in the business.

23Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:11 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Nice paint prep and build up coats Ian! An interesting approach using black as a base coat. I have to say, it does bring out the darker tones well. Do you use shade ink as well?

24Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:37 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
This one has a more neutral expression which could be a nice variation on the same character for story purposes.
Thank you for the step by step pics as always - always interesting and helpful Smile

25Guess who! updated with Part Deux Empty Re: Guess who! updated with Part Deux Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:48 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Nice paint prep and build up coats Ian! An interesting approach using black as a base coat. I have to say, it does bring out the darker tones well. Do you use shade ink as well?
Thank you very much, Dal. The approach is one we've discussed with Mark (Stryker) a number of times -- progressing from very dark to lighter layers. I don't know if I have mastered it, but in principle it makes unnecessary most additional shading, as the layers are ever so slightly translucent and you get some depth showing through as the light hits from different angles. The point was to make it match TBLeague's (male) suntan, and I think it does. I mixed the Vallejo black primer with a little brown to keep it from being straight black, for the lowest layer. There are a couple of thin suntan mix layers on top, and then a final one on top of them, mixed in with Liquitex ultra matte medium. What exactly is shade ink -- like a wash?

Valiarde wrote:This one has a more neutral expression which could be a nice variation on the same character for story purposes.
Thank you for the step by step pics as always - always interesting and helpful Smile
Thank you very much, Simon. I'm glad if it was useful. I think my thinnest brush was acting up a bit (time for a new one), because I would have liked the fine lines to be finer, but in hand he looks pretty decent. I do like neutral expressions precisely so they lend themselves more easily to most things, even if they might be too neutral for some very specific ones.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum