OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Weathering faux leather advice

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Weathering faux leather advice Empty Weathering faux leather advice Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:05 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Hey all, I feel kind of silly having to ask questions like this after 5+ years in the hobby, but of course there's always something new to learn. Right now I'm trying to put finishing touches on a custom figure and struggling a bit with the weathering. I have created a pair of boots from faux leather and I was able to paint them just fine, and likewise used dry brushing w/ Vallejo model paints to make them look a little bit more more like worn leather. However, I *also* wanted them to look somewhat 'dusty', but I canNOT for the life of me achieve a dusty effect using solely the paints I've been using. Every time I try, the paint effects just look 'off' and then I have to repaint the whole thing again. I've heard of weathering powders but I've always been too intimidated to use them...doesn't 'powder' mean it would just get everywhere when you handle it? I don't want to risk any transference to other 1/6 figures during photoshoots. I feel like I must be missing something???

Any advice on how to acheive a more subtle dusty effect (on top of the existing paint weathering I've already done) with a substance that would stick to faux leather and not transfer onto anything else would be appreciated.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

2Weathering faux leather advice Empty Re: Weathering faux leather advice Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:58 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Those weathering powders are what I’ve seen most use. I even have some, but like you I haven’t built up the nerve to try them. I would do a Google search for the Old Site; lots of folks over there have done weathering. Maybe PM Tony Barton and see if he’d be willing to make one of his rare visits to help out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Weathering faux leather advice 1f10

3Weathering faux leather advice Empty Re: Weathering faux leather advice Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:43 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks, good idea to check the old site. It's been so long since I went over there.

I did try to find some online info about using Tamiya weathering powder, but unfortunately it seems like all the advice says you have to 'seal' it with some kind of spray. Which is just not an option in this context. It does feel like a lot of these weathering powders are intended for plastic/metal/resin, whereas I'm in need of something that can adhere to fabric/faux leather. But the only weathering tutorials for fabric I've seen tend to include the use of rubbing alcohol as a means of adhering the weathering powder. But if i put alcohol on my current project, all the paint would melt off. Just a bit of a conundrum...

4Weathering faux leather advice Empty Re: Weathering faux leather advice Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:48 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Hmmm, pastels or weathering powers would be my go-to as well but I’m not sure of the best way to adhere them. I know on models you can use spray sealers but generally they don’t retain the dusty look afterwards. Some fabrics would probably take them without much transfer but I’m not sure about faux leather :/

5Weathering faux leather advice Empty Re: Weathering faux leather advice Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:26 am

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
Dunno if you have Instagram, but 1sixthJay and Dwoon Customs may be worth reaching out to. They both are very Star Wars centric, they work almost exclusively in 1/6th, and do a ton of different customs for clients. I’ve seen some impressive weathering from them on their creations. The one that sticks out the most is a Mace Windu custom 1sixthJay did as it has a lot of weathering effects. OilersWorkshop may be worth it too as he does a lot of diorama weathering so he may know some tricks as well.

6Weathering faux leather advice Empty Re: Weathering faux leather advice Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:48 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thank you both. I appreciate the recs because I don't really venture out on social media that much. The problem I have is that with Star Wars stuff, I have to avoid most of it because I am terrified of Disney Star Wars spoilers. (If you can't already tell, I am no fan of Disney SW and it upsets me to encounter it everywhere.) So just randomly searching around is kind of out of the question, hence why I appreciate knowing specific customisers to look up. : )

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum