OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Advice for dye synthetic clothes

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Advice for dye synthetic clothes Empty Advice for dye synthetic clothes Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:30 pm

Armise

Hi,
I just buy two clothes, a pants and a tank top. I would like to dye the pant in magenta violet and the tank top in anthracite.
I don't know the cloth type, but I think it's synthetic (tan tank top white pants). I have some questions.
-These clothes are really made of synthetic cloth?
-Which dye used? (Rit dye?)
-The pants is white but the tank top in a tan color, does i need to discolor the tank top before dye?
-Others advice?

2Advice for dye synthetic clothes Empty Re: Advice for dye synthetic clothes Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:03 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Try Rit-Dye is all I can tell you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Advice for dye synthetic clothes 1f10

3Advice for dye synthetic clothes Empty Re: Advice for dye synthetic clothes Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:10 am

Armise

Do you think in need to use DyeMore for Synthetics ? I not sure if the clothes are made of synthetics cloths.

4Advice for dye synthetic clothes Empty Re: Advice for dye synthetic clothes Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:03 am

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Yeah. I’m not sure. I’ve never done this before to be honest at this scale, so you might have to do a trial and error type of thing. That is the unfortunate thing about this hobby. You often have to make mistakes, try something different (of course after buying replacements), before you find what works. That’s pretty much how most of this stuff is done. Unless someone who has done this before, that’s really the only option. If you have the items in hand, you might just have to do a “feel” test with different materials until you find what you think is correct, and then you can try to use the appropriate dyes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Advice for dye synthetic clothes 1f10

5Advice for dye synthetic clothes Empty Re: Advice for dye synthetic clothes Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:04 am

Armise

Ok, thank's for yours advices. Does i need to discolor the tan tank top before dye it ?

6Advice for dye synthetic clothes Empty Re: Advice for dye synthetic clothes Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:15 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
There are too many variables to speculate safely, unless you happen to find someone who has done what you are trying to do with these particular items. As Stryker said, this is something you will have to experiment with. 

I have successfully recolored a gray jumpsuit from Sideshow navy blue by using a common wide-tipped Sharpie marker. 

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3595-star-wars-original-trilogy-imperial-mechanical-crew-updated-with-part-ii-fuer-ovy

I don't know what the fabric is. Over three years later, the color is the same as when new and hasn't stained the plastic body underneath it. (It did stain the cheap stand-in body I had it on while coloring, but then I left it to dry for over a week.) So I think it should not be too difficult to color your white and tan clothes (given that you are making the latter charcoal black, by the sounds of it). Sharpie worked for me in the instance I mentioned, but there are also specific fabric markers you can buy to color fabrics (look up Tulip Fabric Markers). If you are using synthetic fabrics, those might be a problem to iron, so make sure the markers you pick do not require heating by ironing to set (looking at a couple of recent Tulip purchases, these don't, but older versions might have).

It's a good idea to test even non-custom colored fabrics before using, unless you don't care if they stain your figure.

Proceed at your own risk!

7Advice for dye synthetic clothes Empty Re: Advice for dye synthetic clothes Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:31 pm

Armise

Hum, I think i will use marker (cheaper and less complicated), COPIC SKETCH Marker work well ?

8Advice for dye synthetic clothes Empty Re: Advice for dye synthetic clothes Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:30 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Armise wrote:Hum, I think i will use marker (cheaper and less complicated), COPIC SKETCH Marker work well ?
No idea. Experiment (on something else) first.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum