OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Connectors on 1/6 Dolls - Small or Standard??

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

NavySubGuy

NavySubGuy
Hello folks.
I have just started to actually acquire my first 1/6 dolls, but I came upon a question that I haven't seen posted anyplace yet.

I have started with 1/6 TBLeague, but also looking at the Jiaou figures.

I noticed on the TBL that there are two sizes of neck connectors, "small and standard". On the Jiaou there seems to be some sets that offer "multiple" size neck connectors.

So the question, do I need to be mindful of the heads that I buy, say ones from Superduck, Kimi Toys and such?

So far two that I have I brought with the head sculpt included S09C w/ head and S46 w/ head.

Any advise and clarification would be most welcomed.
Thanks!
Larry

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
NavySubGuy wrote:Hello folks.
I have just started to actually acquire my first 1/6 dolls, but I came upon a question that I haven't seen posted anyplace yet.

I have started with 1/6 TBLeague, but also looking at the Jiaou figures.

I noticed on the TBL that there are two sizes of neck connectors, "small and standard". On the Jiaou there seems to be some sets that offer "multiple" size neck connectors.

So the question, do I need to be mindful of the heads that I buy, say ones from  Superduck, Kimi Toys and such?

So far two that I have I brought with the head sculpt included S09C w/ head and S46 w/ head.

Any advise and clarification would be most welcomed.
Thanks!
Larry
Hi Larry,

The vast majority of heads out there is far more likely to work with the large neck pegs than the smaller ones. For the latter, it would help to wrap the neck peg's ball with electrical tape or other thickening material. There is no true completely consistent standard. The smaller neck pegs are the ones for the petite bodies, but although there are some heads that look proportionately correct for them, that does not necessarily mean that they have the corresponding small hole in their inside neck connectors/adaptors.

I myself tend to remove the inside neck connectors/adaptors from the hole in the head and replace them with thick foamies, which provide a decent fit but also allow for easy adjustment of a head up or down to look more proportional on the figure.

Diana

Diana
To expand on what Gub said:

Beware of Kumik heads. They have a completely different connector that will require modification to fit onto a TBLeague body. I don't know about the included Jiaou adapters.

Smaller pegs can be found on the petite AND on the anime TBLeague bodies.

You're pretty much safe with Super Duck, Kimi, YMToys, Gac and others, because they can be made to fit the smaller pegs as Gub described.

Super Duck tend to make larger heads.
YMToys tend to make smaller heads.

Check out the head catalogue and the head-body catalogue. They should help you out. Smile

Welcome to the boards, Larry! Very Happy

craftsrmyluvlanguage

GubernatorFan wrote:
I myself tend to remove the inside neck connectors/adaptors from the hole in the head and replace them with thick foamies, which provide a decent fit but also allow for easy adjustment of a head up or down to look more proportional on the figure.

Where do you get these thick foamies? I was thinking of experimenting with some disposable earplugs but I wasn’t sure it would get stuck.

Also, what are the exact dimensions of the hole in the small and standard connectors?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
craftsrmyluvlanguage wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:

Where do you get these thick foamies? I was thinking of experimenting with some disposable earplugs but I wasn’t sure it would get stuck.

Also, what are the exact dimensions of the hole in the small and standard connectors?
See also what Diana posted.

I'm not sure I recall specific heads designed for the small neck peg. Also, the size of the hole is less crucial than the pliability of its material. It can look pretty small, but if it is soft, the sides would stretch to accommodate the ball joint. That's also the advantage of the foamies -- they are soft. Also keep in mind that heating up the plastic with a hair dryer (or, a bit messier and riskier, hot water) helps in making heads fit on necks. I have a Kumik head I just received that fits on the ball joint of the ANT body's neck peg (these bodies are closely inspired by TBLeague's), but ends up sitting too high, producing a bit of a giraffe neck effect. So at this point I'm going to remove its inside neck connector/adaptor. Unfortunately, it is glued in place quite well, so I'm going to have to drill it out with a Dremel tool.

Foamies you can find in hobby or craft shops or online retailers. Here is an example with several different thicknesses (but there are more affordable versions). I use thick foamies (about 3 to 5 mm) for male heads and sometimes thinner ones for the female heads (that also helps if the inside neck connector/adaptor is at the right height within the head but its opening it too wide).

You can see an example of how this works in practice in the Head Conversion Tutorial thread.

NavySubGuy

NavySubGuy
Many THANKS to Gubernator, Diane for the excellent responses and linking to the catalogues and tutorials. Very helpful.

I doubt that I am brave enough yet to modify anything, maybe someday Shocked
So for the immediate future I probably will stick with TBL (w/ heads) and TBL / Jiaou and add GAC, Superduck or YMToys.

LaRRy

NavySubGuy

NavySubGuy
A further question if I may. I have been looking at a Jiaou figure JOQ-19B.
This is the one, below. It is sold by many various dealers , mostly using the exact same description

It states in the details that the Neck connector is 8mm and is not removable.
"Please Kindly Note : the neck is with 8mm metal ball jointed and it's not replaceable"

Is this the common practice with TBL / Jiaou and other figures or something special with this figure.

SECOND. I was told that the head sculpt shown in the photos was "custom only" by the manufacturer and was not available for sale anywhere. Is this true? I have searched but did not find too many similar styles. The head would be perfect for the display I am building, so a bit disappointed there.

Still learning, so many thanks.
Connectors on 1/6 Dolls - Small or Standard?? S-l1600

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
There is no actual link in the post, so no way to tell.
The Jiaou disclaimer seems to me to indicate that, after they originally advertised swappable neck pegs, this model comes with a non-swappable 8mm metal ball joint neck peg.

madnug

madnug
NavySubGuy wrote:A further question if I may. I have been looking at a Jiaou figure JOQ-19B.
This is the one, below. It is sold by many various dealers , mostly using the exact same description

It states in the details that the Neck connector is 8mm and is not removable.
"Please Kindly Note : the neck is with 8mm metal ball jointed and it's not replaceable"

Is this the common practice with TBL / Jiaou and other figures or something special with this figure.

SECOND. I was told that the head sculpt shown in the photos was "custom only" by the manufacturer and was not available for sale anywhere. Is this true? I have searched but did not find too many similar styles. The head would be perfect for the display I am building, so a bit disappointed there.

Still learning, so many thanks.
Connectors on 1/6 Dolls - Small or Standard?? S-l1600

there are other brands and head sculpt that can match with that body, i8toys yuki would have a similar look n hair style to the jiaou Promo HS,

others i would suggest looking into YMtoys HS Since they mostly make asian type HS and their size could match it nicely.

just do some research on the body color to match with the HS, Since jiaou Color selection is more than TBL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum