OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05)

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Visisonor

Visisonor

Visisonor

Visisonor
Accessorize! (part 1)

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_6942
This image was supposed to represent Kate feeling sad due to limited selection of in-scale items, but even at that point she had some things to wear, and even several options to choose from.

I don't intend to dive deep into this scale when it comes to the number of characters. But I'm making up for that with accessories: they somehow started to accumulate even before the first figure was fully operational.

Still, I don't have enough stuff to mimic two different looks I have in 1/12 scale: the agent outfit and the sparring attire. These will require separate posts some time in the future.

One reason for that is a setback with stained hand. I used 3mm ribbons for 1/12 scale wristbands without any issue, but supposedly similar 6mm ribbon stained one hand irrecoverably. That's why wristbands are white on the photo above, and that's how I've got the VS Toys set:

Which are quite nice, though not exaclty the same color as native hands. The socket is larger, they are easier to remove - but they still aren't loose. Come in several pairs:
Relaxed
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7051
Action (also sometimes referred to as bow and arrow hands):
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7047
Gripping
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7048
Trigger fingers (now, whom do I take down first?..)
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7050
And
Gesture hands:
I'd prefer fists to offensive gestures, but alas, fists are quite hard to find. Much harder than at twelfth scale. So far the only fists I have are gloved hands by Flagset, but they are too tight to fit TBL pegs without modifications.

Work great for Villa, though:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7052

Anyway, this brings me closer to completing the sparring look. But it's getting late, and the post is starting to get long, so I'll get back to it eventually.
Thanks for looking!

BAMComix

BAMComix
Lovely shots my friend. You have caught the movement beautifully, especially in the punch training shot (At least, I hope they were training?) . Mt fave though, is without doubt the one of the girl sat on the floor at the top of the thread. Top work, love it!

Ephiane

Ephiane
Great poses and very nice figures. I really need to spend more time on your little works of art in the 1:12 area. Thanks for the link to there.

Visisonor

Visisonor
BAMComix wrote:At least, I hope they were training?
Yeah, something like
this:

BAMComix wrote:My fave though, is without doubt the one of the girl sat on the floor at the top of the thread
Ephiane wrote:Great poses and very nice figures.
Thanks! The photos in this thread tend to be kind of minimalist. I am quite behind in this scale with relation to backgrounds.

r3500vdp

Agreed that first picture of her sitting down is very nicely done.

Diana

Diana
Nice!! It's so cool to see your central characters in 1/6.
Now you need a 1/6 synth... What a Face

Very creative use of that second gun holding hand. Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautiful shot of depressed Kate. And beautiful way to showcase all these different hands. I hardly ever use the firsts, so I had forgotten that there aren't that many (any?) TBLeague ones. But I imagine you have looked around for them. I'm sure you'll find something, even if you have to repaint it. By the way, while you are right that the hands pack are not exactly the same color as the body, they seem to be close enough. If the color still bothers you, you can pick up a variety of hands from TBLeague parted-out sets. 
If you don't want your ladies fighting for real, you should get them a couple of dudes. Smile Actually, that might help with Kate's depression, too.

Visisonor

Visisonor
r3500vdp wrote:first picture of her sitting down is very nicely done.
Thanks. I didn't expect this photo to garner praise Smile

Diana wrote:It's so cool to see your central characters in 1/6.
Now you need a 1/6 synth...
Yes, surprisingly satisfying, even if totally impractical.
As for a synth, (un?)fortunately, Synthetic Female was not released in 1/6 scale. So I can, in theory, get Rick, but not Tess (and she had more screentime).

GubernatorFan wrote:If you don't want your ladies fighting for real, you should get them a couple of dudes. Smile Actually, that might help with Kate's depression, too.
Wouldn't they fight over dudes then? Smile
Speaking of dudes, agent Wolf is an obvious choice. But I haven't seen this head (Lone Survivor from Player Unknown Battlegrounds by Soldier Story) in 1/6 scale. And that would be diving too deep...

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Visisonor wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:If you don't want your ladies fighting for real, you should get them a couple of dudes. Smile Actually, that might help with Kate's depression, too.
Wouldn't they fight over dudes then?
Speaking of dudes, agent Wolf is an obvious choice. But I haven't seen this head (Lone Survivor from Play Unknown Battlegrounds by Soldier Story) in 1/6 scale. And that would be diving too deep...
If they each got one, they won't have to fight over them. If you look at some recent DAM, Ujindou, and DiD heads you might find a reasonable approximation for your Wolf. Some modification may be required.

Diana

Diana
Visisonor wrote:As for a synth, (un?)fortunately, Synthetic Female was not released in 1/6 scale. So I can, in theory, get Rick, but not Tess (and she had more screentime).

Oh no! I wasn't aware. Well, maybe one day there will be one. Little point in getting Rick without Tess, I agree.

lawlaw91

lawlaw91
Yes!Girl fight!Fight....
They don't really excel to do girl fists, most of them just making fists with gloves on so they look more natural, if you want to make a girl fight with barehands, use slap instead, slap is also very powerful

https://www.deviantart.com/lawlaw91

Visisonor

Visisonor
A sister (mostly harmless NSFW)

Now that a have a seamless body matching (more or less) the skintone of VeryCool Villa head, I can combine them to represent either of Villa or Vera in 1/6 scale, depending on context - in-story, they are identical looking after all. This body will probably stay in a sparring outfit, but I haven't completely settled on particular clothing pieces yet. Need to try a few more things, more on that in another post.

In the meantime, I just want to appreciate how she looks without any outfit, while trying to not cross into explicit territory.
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7116

Curiously, the head sits loose on S23's metal ball joint. It doesn't fall off, there is a pop when it is being put on or off, but after that it moves around freely. Which is not a big deal, easily fixed with a piece of rubber or silicone.
It seems to sit too high, though. If I had a second head, specifically for this body, I'd try to modify it, but this one needs to remain compatible with its original fgure.

More from that session:

I also have a knock-off head - its skintone is actually pale, though it's not evident with this lighting like this:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7119

Unfortunately, this head is not as skillfully painted as the original; it looks kind of bland. And the hair is too wavy.
I may have to try my hand at rooting and painting if I never find another original head, but I didn't have much (or any, tbh) success with painting realistic skintones Sad

lawlaw91 wrote:use slap instead, slap is also very powerful
Heh, I'll definitely try this for giggles Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice to see your sixth-scale family grow. And your appreciation for your creation is sweet. I also appreciate your self-restraint. Nice photography and posing, too.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Very smart my friend, and such a pretty sculpt too! I for one, am really looking forward to seeing her progress in her 1/6 version Very Happy .

Allotropos

Allotropos
Visisonor wrote:A sister (mostly harmless NSFW)

Unfortunately, this head is not as skillfully painted as the original; it looks kind of bland. And the hair is too wavy.
I may have to try my hand at rooting and painting if I never find another original head, but I didn't have much (or any, tbh) success with painting realistic skintones Sad

Have you tried managing her hair with hot water/hair conditioner and a hair straightener (on low heat)?
Worth a shot and if it still doesn't look right, then go the rerooting route.

Visisonor

Visisonor
GubernatorFan wrote:your appreciation for your creation is sweet.
BAMComix wrote:I for one, am really looking forward to seeing her progress in her 1/6 version Very Happy .
Thanks, guys!

Allotropos wrote:Have you tried managing her hair with hot water/hair conditioner and a hair straightener (on low heat)?
Thanks. I may try that too.
If I go with rerooting, I'll probably start with a blank head, and paint it first.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Nice looking figures and photos.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) 1f10

Diana

Diana
That Villa head is definitely still among my favourites, and so is that body, so it's nice to see them photographed so beautifully. She's looking so good! The first photo is my fave. Smile

Visisonor

Visisonor
Stryker2012 wrote:Nice looking figures and photos.
Diana wrote:That Villa head is definitely still among my favourites, and so is that body, so it's nice to see them photographed so beautifully.
Thanks again!
This body is my favourite too, in a sense that if I had to choose one, it would be the one I'd pick. Which is exactly what I did (well, I've got two, but they are the same shape in different skintones). Granted, I was choosing from online photos and never had other bodies in hand, but still.

And the head - while it was beautifully translated into twelfth scale with arguably more practical (for a military-type character) haircut - still looks better with longer hair.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Very nice! I like the lightning.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) 1f60e

Ephiane

Ephiane
Beautiful way to photograph. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get your taste for 1:6 figures.

Visisonor

Visisonor
Theboo-bomb wrote:Very nice! I like the lightning.
Ephiane wrote:Beautiful way to photograph. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get your taste for 1:6 figures.

Thanks! Light is the hardest part of photography, and I still have a lot to learn.

Accessorize! (Part 2: sparring outfits)

With 1/6 scale I can't really afford having multiple figures per character as I do in 1/12 - too much space, and heads I need are too rare. So I have to resort to swapping clothes. Which is, of course, realistic, but not convenient.

One of the looks I consider iconic is the training/sparring attire. Here is the reference in 1/12 scale:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Kate_v10
(Kate and Vera, obviously a composite image)

components:
How easy can it be to replicate it in 1/6 scale?
There are options.

I started with BOX Studio, mostly because they've used S22/23 in their promo pics (though what I have in hand differs from those pics).
But the result did not meet my expectations. The material is stiff and not stretchy, any attempt to strain these pants rips some seam or the other apart. Moreover, I am obsessed with covering joints, and my favourite way of hiding the ankle joint is letting the pants drape over part of the foot, as seen on the twelfth scale photo above. These pants end with a cuff, making it hard to achieve:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_6943
I was able to fidget the ankle eventually to make it look better:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7053

And the top is actually quite nice, also seen in an earlier post. But I needed something better.

Next up: the Yoga Sportswear Suit Set, unbranded, as far as I can tell:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Yset10
I've only tried the pants, and they are made from much stretchier material than the BOX Toys set.

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7054
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7136

Even if they are shorter than BOX Toys pants, they work so much better in general, and I could declare victory with these if I didn't find a better option.

This better, and final option is called CJG-049:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cjg-0410

and it resembles my 1/12 scaled reference the most:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7137

The lower part drapes over the foot the way I want to, covering the joint in the most natural way. The pants are long and stretchy:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7138
Even a full split is possible (not easy, it can take up to an hour, but possible):
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7139

on the subject of splits:

The only downside, at least for the black version, is the abundance of lint. Even after two washes, the top from this set leaves fibers on the body - not staining, but they are a pain to remove (the pants are OK after two washes, however).
So the top on the photos above is not from this set - it's from CJG-044 by the same manufacturer:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_6945
Kate would like to remind you that these CJG clothes require Stryker's vinegar wash to prevent staining!

Curiously, lint is not an issue for the white version, and Vera wants some spotlight too, so here is the complete CJG-049 suit in white:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7140

(and yes, it's Vera, not Villa in this outfit; just my mental model, really)
White also tends to accentuate all the details that are now being censored. But this is because the pants are quite high here as I was planning this shot:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7217
Splits? What's the big deal?

Normally they would be a bit lower to better cover the ankles - because doing the split and covering ankles at the same time is a stretch (literally).

But I also wanted them to have identical outfits in different colors, and actually a bit denser too. The crop top I like the most, judging from product photos, is this item by FireApple (if I read it right):
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Fireap10
I've ordered it in black and white, but what I actually received looks more like this:
Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Unknow10

I guess eBay is always a gamble.

Visisonor's conjectures of grandeur (updated 2024-05-05) Cnr_7219
Kate: oh come on, posing again! I want action!

I have to leave action for another post though, this one is already too long.
Sorry for the long read, hope it may be helpful.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It is a sensible strategy and I think a winning one, by the looks of it. They look good. As for the lint... one time (it is documented somewhere here as an unexpected discovery) I came across a pair of black athletic pants or shorts that left so much lint that they provided a viable solution for making male bodies look hairy. I was so intrigued with this "fix" that I ordered a second pair, which was for some reason remarkably reluctant to produce anything near the same amount of lint. Smile

BAMComix

BAMComix
Really great pictures, and as Ian said above, a good idea to swap heads, change clothes and keep costs down. I think you've made them look just as god as their 1/12th versions Very Happy .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum