OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End)

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Visisonor

Visisonor
Preface

This is another entry in what I call Synconverse, and an origin story for one of the characters from Diary of a field agent.

As before, I only have a general idea of the plot in mind and hope to finish one at least chapter per month. This story should be shorter - I'll be surprised if it exceeds ten chapters, but time will tell.

Warning: discussion posts contain (usually marked) spoilers for Diary of a field agent.

Table of contents:

Visisonor

Visisonor
Chapter 1

There was a commotion on the outskirts of the city.
A young woman in black uniform and a trooper beside her seemed to be in an argument with a sharply dressed man.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6218

- We were severely outgunned, we had to fall back, - argued the woman. - And then John was hit.
- Aye, boss, we had to carry him away, - added the trooper. - If we stayed any longer...
- Nobody is asking you, - the one called boss cast a side glance at the trooper, then turned to look at the woman. - So the objective has not been accomplished.
- Sir, with all due respect...
- You are not showing the due respect, - he shouted, interrupting her.
Suddenly he waved his arm, aiming to hit her face with a backhand slap.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6219

She leaned back instinctively, her hands clenching into fists as the slap missed her nose by an inch.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6140

Neither of them noticed another character who emerged from the loading bay a few moments earlier and jumped off the platform just now.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6220

- Whoa, what's going on? - asked this newly arrived man, positioning himself between the arguers.
- What are you doing here? - the one in a suit gaped in surprise.
- Same old story. Looking for a partner. I trust this lady here does not have a teammate yet?
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6221

- A trainee who failed her first assignment, - sneered the boss. - Are you that desperate?
- Err, - the trainee seemed to be at a loss for words.
- Oh, I'm sure she is quite up to the task, - the newcomer pressed on.
- Well, if you insist... But that makes us even, okay?
- Okay.

The man who was looking for a teammate turned to the woman in black.
- If you don't mind stepping aside with me for a moment, - he said to her, simultaneously trying to convey a sense of urgency with the mimics of his face.
Then he took her arm and led her away, leaving the trooper and the boss staring after them.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6222

- You know he'd court-martial you if you as much as tried to hit him, do you?
They were walking down an empty street now, far out of sight of the other two.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6142

- He tried to hit me, - the raven-haired woman shook her head. - What was I supposed to do?
- You didn't let him. That was good enough.
- But sheathe, obedient, thy revenging steel.
- Sounds about right.
She stopped abruptly and waited for him to stop and look at her.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6141

- So you've saved me. Why?
- I know Ian for a long time, and anything to deprive him of a reason to gloat is a plus in my book.
- Even if it means wasting a favor you could ask of him?
- Good eye. Yes, worth it.
- Well, thanks.
- Don't mention it. And besides, - he grinned, - I really do need a teammate. Would you consider working with me?
- You mean I have a choice?
- Of course you have a choice, - he said with a sigh. - I won't force it upon you, and you can always change your mind later.
- I don't even know you, - she mused hesitantly.
- Agent Constantin. You can call me Costa.
- Um. I'm Linda.
- So what say you, Linda? - asked Constantin again, stretching out a hand.

She gave it some more thought. Could he be trusted? There was no way to tell right now, she didn't know him. But she could be assigned to another agent whom she didn't know either, if she passed the test, that is. And this one at least helped her out of a serious trouble. It seemed quite fair to give it a try. And so she made up her mind.

- All right, - nodded Linda, shaking Constantin's hand.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6143

They resumed their walk. It wasn't long before he broke the silence again:

- What happened on that mission, if you don't mind me asking?
- Perhaps you should have asked before offering to work with me, - mused Linda sadly.

Then she retold the events that led up to an argument with Ian.

The location I was sent to secure was strategically important for an upcoming advance. It was empty, according to intelligence. I had two troopers with me. When we arrived, we've noticed a streak of light seeping through the gate, and the whole place seemed so rundown that we suspected some vagabonds made it their home.

But it was not vagabonds who settled inside. The gate cracked open when we approached, and a Trashcan burst out of there. I think I've seen two other syncons too but I can't tell for sure.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6227

I just knew we couldn't take down a Trashcan with assault rifles and SMGs. One of my troopers was hit.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6225

We've barely pulled him out back to the stairs. Yeah, objective not accomplished...
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6224

She trailed off at that, visibly upset.

- Look, you did everything right, - said Constantin encouragingly. - Your intel was not up to date, preserving your unit was the best you could do.
- I wonder why that Thrashcan didn't follow us, - Linda's mind was still replaying the events she's just recounted. - It could have easily finished us off.
- Perhaps syncons thought you had backup waiting for you. But you've blown their cover, I bet they've left immediately.

They went on, heading back to living quarters and discussing other details of that mission and subsequent events, not aware that this group of syncons was indeed withdrawing, proving agent Constantin's assumption correct. And one of them - with distinctively feminine features - sent an encrypted message back to base.
It wasn't actually expressed in words, but its meaning could be interpreted as "Made contact. She seems to be the right type for us".

Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6239

Next chapter

davidd

davidd
Wow! This is a very intriguing and engaging beginning!

Costa seems pretty cool. Let's hope that's an accurate assessment.

Overall, a lot of information and character development is presented in a concise manner.

Great looking figures, nice lighting, and a touch of menace at the end!

Nice work!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nicely posed and shot, as always. I liked the different visual effect(s) used for the retold part of the story. I don't know how to feel about the boss apparently being named Ian.

Visisonor

Visisonor
davidd wrote:Wow! This is a very intriguing and engaging beginning!
Appreciate the feedback and glad you like it!

GubernatorFan wrote:I don't know how to feel about the boss apparently being named Ian.
Oops, sorry, I tend to forget names of people behind forum nicks...
He is using Mezco Two-Face head, and that inspired the name via similarity with Janus from Roman pantheon.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Visisonor wrote:He is using Mezco Two-Face head, and that inspired the name via similarity with Janus from Roman pantheon.
The explanation was worth it all by itself! Smile

Visisonor

Visisonor
Chapter 2

Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6237

- Oh, marvelous, some lights still work, - mused Constantin, stepping down the dusty stairs.
They descended from the hall onto a platform of a long abandoned subway station, looking around cautiously.

- And here we need to turn left, - said Linda, checking the map.

According to that map, this subway line led to positions currently held by syncons. In theory, it could be used by either side for a surprise attack, provided it was passable. And so Constantin volunteered to verify this assumption, and make sure it remained impassable. Which is why he and Linda now jumped off the platform and entered the tunnel.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6238

- Now let's hope we won't be hit by an oncoming train, - chuckled Constantin.
- The tunnel being passable is something I can possibly consider, - commented Linda, - But the train would be too much.
- See, now you're starting to agree it may be passable.
- All right, all right, you got me.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6314

They didn't talk much on the way, mostly exchanging gestures and short commands. But after an hour of such walk the flashlights of their rifles picked out something that should not have been there: an elaborate wall with an octagonal blast door.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6316

- That doesn't look like something we've built, - Constantin stopped in his tracks, scratching his head.
- Okay, now the train does not seem ridiculous at all, - whispered Linda beside him.
- Well, we know what to do.

They studied tunnel wall, tracing back their steps until Constantin could see signs of load-bearing structure. Then he took out a pack of explosives from his backpack.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6317

- How far can we get from it to detonate it? - asked Linda nervously as they headed further away from the blast door and the bomb.
- These walls block radio communications, - he pointed out. - There has to be a direct line of sight.

The tunnel was mostly straight but then there was a slight curve to it. Just as this curve was about to block their view of the planted explosive, they concluded it was far enough to not be affected by the blast, and Constantin pressed the button on the detonator.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6315

There was a blinding flash of light followed by a deafening roar and a rush of wind. It wasn't strong enough to knock them off though, and everything in their immediate vicinity seemed to be intact. After a few uneasy seconds Constantin and Linda resumed their breathing, almost simultaneously.

But then they've heard a rumble from the other end of the tunnel.

- I don't like the sound of that, - muttered Linda through the ringing in her ears.

Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6319

They ran back to the station, suspecting beyond doubt what they would find. And sure enough, the way was blocked: the explosion caused another part of the tunnel to collapse, trapping them inside.

They went back and forth several times, desperately trying to find a way out or at least a place where radio could function. They found neither.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6318

The implications were starting to sink in, even though it was obvious from the moment they found the second cave-in. With usual secrecy surrounding field agent missions, nobody else knew exactly where they could be. They were going to die here from hunger and thirst, unless they chose a more decisive conclusion.
- Sorry I've dragged you into this, - said Constantin, leaning against tunnel wall

Linda slid down on the floor, cradling her rifle on her lap.
- It's not your fault, - she replied absently.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6320

She stared into the darkness surrounding a spot of light cast by her flashlight attachment. Its batteries would run out soon. This would herald the end: neither of them wanted to bring it up, but dying of the light would be a sort of cue. Even now the light circle seemed to shrink ever so slowly - which, Linda knew, was just a trick of her imagination. And so must have been the subtle change of color in the illuminated part of the wall. Or was it?
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6321

- Costa, did you see this?! - Linda sprang on her feet.
- I've seen something, - he confirmed. - A syncon?

The wall was blank again: whatever they've seen has now disappeared behind the bend of the tunnel. They followed it, rifles at the ready. And stopped again, stunned by the view in front of them - a beam of light shining from the ceiling and a cable hanging in the middle of it.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6323

- So, ere you find where light in darkness lies, - murmured Linda in disbelief.
- That's... certainly symbolic, - nodded Constantin. - Haven't we passed here before?
- Ten times at least. I think I would have noticed a hole in the ceiling.
- That syncon must have opened it just now, - reasoned he.
- And is probably waiting for us up there.

He grabbed the cable, as if afraid it would retract.

- Even if it is a trap, - Linda was first to voice what they both thought. - I'd rather try my luck than stay here and do nothing.
- Agreed. But I'll go first. Wait here and cover me.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6322

Constantin dropped his backpack, slung the rifle over his shoulder and proceeded to climb the cable, eventually disappearing in the brightly lit circle on the ceiling. After a few seconds, which to Linda seemed like hours, she heard his voice:
- All clear. No hostiles in sight.

She let out a sigh of relief, and shouted back:
- Got it! Coming after you.

He helped her out of the hatch of what looked like a ventilation shaft. They were in the middle of nowhere - luckily it wasn't in the middle of syncon positions, so they could easily reach human positions from here.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6324

- Well, what's just happened down there? - asked Linda as they walked away from the hatch.
- I don't know, - Constantin shook his head. - But let's not mention the syncon in our reports.

Next chapter

davidd

davidd
Fantastically moody photography, making excellent use of shadows, and increasing darkness as the story progresses, to enhance the sense of claustrophobia.

Love that "reveal shot" of the robot lurking in the shadows.

Impressively plausible posing of those 1/12 figures. You have an eye for natural-looking positioning and an ability to convey realistic movement.

"What happened down there?" Effective hook... to keep us hanging!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I liked this a lot, and think the posing and lighting superb.

Visisonor

Visisonor
davidd wrote:increasing darkness as the story progresses
plausible posing of those 1/12 figures

GubernatorFan wrote:think the posing and lighting superb

Thanks!
I thought perhaps lighting was too dark though it probably depends on viewer's screen settings.
As for posing, I guess years of collecting were not in vain Smile

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
Visisonor wrote:
davidd wrote:increasing darkness as the story progresses
plausible posing of those 1/12 figures

GubernatorFan wrote:think the posing and lighting superb

Thanks!
I thought perhaps lighting was too dark though it probably depends on viewer's screen settings.
Some of them are on the dark side, but given that they're in a tunnel it makes sense.

Visisonor

Visisonor
Chapter 3

- I have some good news, Linda. You've been promoted to an agent.
They met at the entrance to the shooting range for the regular target practice.

- What? How? - this was clearly a surprise for her.
- Our last mission was deemed a success. So it counts as a passed test.
- A success... - she shook her head. - In the letter maybe, but not in the spirit.
- Don't worry about the spirit. As far as I am concerned, you should have been made an agent right before we met.
- Thanks, - sincerity in her was was quite evident.

Both of them knew they couldn't discuss the details openly in a crowded area - the secret of that mysterious rescue setting them somehow apart from the others. So they let it drop for now and proceeded to their shooting drills.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6240

- I've been meaning to ask... - started Constantin after they were done.
- About my plans for the evening?
- Er, no. Why do you have your sidearm at your left side?
- To draw it faster of course, - she said with an air of someone stating the obvious. - If I have a rifle in my right, I have to discard it first.
- But then you'll have to shoot with your off-hand... - pointed out Constantin.
- Yeah, but that wasn't ever a problem for me.
She then demonstrated this in action by drawing her pistol and aiming a single shot at her target in one sweeping motion.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6241

- Impressive, - acknowledged Constantin, checking her result.
- What about your two pistols? If the left one won't get ya then the right one will?
- Nah, it's rather for when I have to shoot at multiple targets in different directions, - he said dismissively, and then added in a barely audible whisper. - But mostly for show.

Before Linda could comment on that, a call to his radio interrupted them. She could only hear Constantin's part of the conversation:
- Yes. Is it urgent?. Got it. Over.
Then he hung up with a sigh.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6510

- Something important? - implored Linda.
- Guess what. Our old friend Ian wants to see me. Right now.
- I thought you didn't report directly to him, - she objected, looking slightly confused.
- That's true, but he pulls enough weight to turn it into an official order from the Command.
- Does it happen often?
- Not really often. I remember two or three times, - he mused thoughtfully. - And it was serious all these times, so I'd rather go now. But you don't have to.
- You think I'll let you go to him alone - after all we went through in that tunnel?
- What does it have to do with the tunnel? - now was Constantin's turn to look confused.
- The tunnel is irrelevant, it's just we are starting to act as a team, and if you are heading somewhere dangerous, I won't abandon you.
- You overestimate the danger he poses to me... But I appreciate your concern.

They argued for a while on the way, Linda kept insisting on coming along. She was not even dissuaded by Constantin's assumption that she would be bored to death waiting by the door because he and Ian would talk one on one anyway.

This part of the city seemed to be less desolate, with fewer people in uniforms and more in fine civilian clothes. One of such people - a woman with long brown hair carrying a heavy-looking backpack in her hand - almost bumped into them as they approached an entrance to Ian's apartment building, apologized hastily and went off in the opposite direction.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6511

Linda watched her leave, but the woman was already out of sight when they reached the entrance. Constantin dialed the intercom, but there was no answer. He tried again, with the same outcome. So they went up to the apartment, and after two flights of stairs reached the door. The door wasn't locked: it gave way just as Constantin knocked on it.
- Doesn't seem right, - whispered Linda, following him cautiously.
They found Ian in a living room, lying face down on a coffee table. An open bottle stood nearby, and a toppled wineglass could be seen on the floor.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6512

- Is he drunk? - asked Linda incredulously. - Or...
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6513

Constantin walked up to check Ian's pulse.
- Dead, - he said with unreadable expression. - Still warm but... Dead.

Next chapter

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I will try to not take it personally... Smile Beautifully set up and shot as usual. This scale really does present both challenges (which you seem to surmount) and opportunities (which you capitalize on).

davidd

davidd
How quickly will she make the connection? Very quickly, I'm guessing!

"But mostly for show!" Razz I like this guy! He's a fun character! Serious about what he does, but not to the point where he takes himself too seriously!

Visisonor

Visisonor
Thanks again!

GubernatorFan wrote:I will try to not take it personally... Smile
Please don't Smile

davidd wrote:How quickly will she make the connection?
There are a couple of connections to make, they'll discuss it in the next chapter of course.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Very cool story, just catching up. Love the dynamic between the two person team! Looking forward to seeing more!

Visisonor

Visisonor
Thanks.
Good to have you on board!

Visisonor

Visisonor
Chapter 4
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6614

- And what brought you here in the first place? - the investigator continued his series of questions.
- We were invited to discuss work-related issues, - replied Constantin levelly.
- And your line of work is...
- We are field agents, - said Constantin matter-of-factly.
- Oh.
The crash of some train of thought was unmistakably visible on investigator's face.
- We've been answering your questions out of sheer goodwill. But now, alas, we need to leave. Unless you have an authorization from Command to detain us, of course...

- Well, that was easy, - remarked Linda once they were outside. - I thought he already designated us as main suspects.
- You thought correctly. But it went better than I expected.
- What do you mean?
- I expected him to have this authorization at hand.
- Why?
- How would you answer that? - suggested Constantin.
- Hm. If we assume it was a murder...
- No doubt.
- And it happened right after he called you... Perhaps the killer could assume Ian told us something, and we are now as dangerous to the killer as Ian was.
- Good.
- But wait, - Linda staggered. - Even if that is the case, how could this killer coerce the Command to frame us?
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6615

- That's why it went better than I expected.
- Oh. So you expected the killer to be from somewhere high enough in Command structure. But why?
- That's the sort of people Ian was hanging out with in recent years.
- We can't rule it out, you know. Maybe the killer could frame us but didn't.
- Fair point, - nodded Constantin. - We don't have anything conclusive. Any other versions?
- Syncons? No. Way too far for them to sneak in and remain undetected. Syncon spy perhaps?
- That's ridiculous. Why would anyone spy for syncons?
- There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- That's from a story featuring a ghost. I'd rather remain in the realm of the possible.
- It is within the realm of the possible to have a desire to kill this guy, which has nothing to do with syncons, - Linda commented dryly.

The conversation went silent for a second or two.
- I understand you might not be of high opinion about Ian, - said Constantin carefully.
- You don't say.
- But I want to know who killed him, and why.
- I wish you luck.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6616

Linda didn't voice the second, implied part of that message: "But I won't help you with that". She wasn't eager to be pulled into whatever plans Constantin had to uncover Ian's murderer, but she couldn't spell it out like that, so she just trailed off and let it remain unsaid.
She would help him if he asked her.
But he didn't.

Back in headquarters another surprise awaited them. Constantin was slightly faster to get to his desk. He logged into the system from his laptop and...
- Well, duh. I should have known!
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6617

By that time Linda logged in too, and saw that she was suspended. It cost her considerable effort to suppress a surge of panic, but she managed to keep her voice calm:
- These were glorious hours for me as an agent.
- Oh, we are still agents, - reassured Constantin. - We just don't get to have fun while investigation is on. The system considers us involved, even if there is not enough evidence to arrest us.

It made sense once she thought about it. Agents could be sent somewhere at any time, and any of these missions could be the last. A valuable witness could be lost this way, a potential suspect could more easily escape.
But that meant they were stuck here doing nothing but drills. Doomed to boredom even. Well, not Costa at least: he would try to unravel the riddle. Shouldn't she be helping him, if only to get themselves off the list of suspects?

- All right, - she finally made up her mind. - This may be the fastest turnaround after the refusal of the call, but I will help you.
- Linda, I... I can't really ask you of this. I've thought about it and...
- Why? - she interrupted. - Because it's dangerous?
- It's different than the danger you face as an agent. I suspect multiple plots between higher-ups in the Command, and if they know we are digging into them, they'll get rid of us swiftly and creatively. And even if I find the true culprit behind it, I'm not sure I'll be able to do anything with it anyway.
- So why do you want to do it?
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6618

- I don't have a definitive answer. It may be clear when I find out who it was. Maybe I can use this knowledge in the future, when the time is right. Or maybe not. But I can't leave it like that.
- OK. I can be of use.
- Even if you don't want to?

Linda leaned back, half-sitting on her desk, and sighed.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6619

- I don't like using clichéd phrases such as "it's the right thing to do". But it seems to me that we are involved already, whether I want it or not.
- Hm. If you put like this... - Constantin paused for a second. - There is no way for me to make you change your mind then?
- Nope.
- Okay, - said Constantin resignedly. - And thanks.
- So where do we start? - asked Linda right away?
- I don't think we can do anything today.  Although... Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Perhaps you've noticed something?
- Why, yes, there was this woman with backpack. When we were heading to the appointment.
- I've seen her too. And many other passers-by.
- But she stood out the most!
- Huh. Why?
- The backpack of course. It didn't fit her style. Like, completely out of place.
- Okay, I guess I have to take you word for it.
Linda tried very hard not to roll her eyes.

- I don't know how to find her, though, - she said instead.
- She may or may not have anything to do with it. But we need to stay alert if we see her again.
- Right. What's next? You said there was nothing to be done today.
- Yeah. Autopsy results should be available tomorrow.
- They won't be revealed to us, I'm sure.
- I know a few people I can ask. Unofficially, of course. But until then...
- We just wait?
- Yeah, - Constantin paused, seemingly hesitating. - So, um. What are your plans for the evening?

Next chapter

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice new installment. I like the added element of the cubicles and office accessories.

BAMComix

BAMComix
A great engaging chapter!

Visisonor

Visisonor
Thanks!
Cubicle walls are mode of color filters for photo lights.

Visisonor

Visisonor
Chapter 5

They left headquarters and barely turned the corner when they saw her: a familiar-looking long-haired woman stood on the street, shifting around nervously, and stiffened when she noticed them.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6635

- Wait! Please! - she called out. - You were working with Ian... Right?
They glanced at each other, both seemingly recognizing her from the earlier encounter.
- You knew him? - asked Constantin carefully.
- Yes. I'm Emily. I am... I mean, I was... His girlfriend.
Linda raised an eyebrow in surprise.
- Oh, - Constantin seemed surprised too. - I didn't know he had a girlfriend...
- Such is the nature of private life, - shrugged Emily.
- Of course, - he nodded. - Anyway. I'm Constantin. And this is...
- Linda, - she finished for herself.
- I'm afraid Ian was killed... - continued Emily. - And now it's my turn.
- Why do you think so? - inquired Constantin.
- Do you know who killed him? - followed Linda, almost at the same time.
- I don't know... I'm not even sure I can trust you. I can't go to law enforcement, they will suspect me... And they suspect you, so...
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6636

- We did not kill him, - sighed Constantin. - Though we can't prove it right now.
- Wait, you were there before us. - pointed out Linda. - How do we know it wasn't you who killed him?
- I did not kill him. - Emily echoed Constantin's words. - Though I can't prove it right now.
- Fair enough, - he chuckled.
- When I came in, he was already dead. I didn't know what to do... I grabbed his laptop and ran away.
- So you have his laptop?! - asked Linda.
- Yes, and I think something in there is related to his death. If they know I have it... - she buried her face in her hands. - But it's encrypted. I can't boot it up.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6637

- We can try to unlock it, - suggested Constantin. - Where is it now?
- I've hidden it. I can show you where.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6638

It was already twilight when they arrived to a nondescript abandoned alley far on the fringe. Emily went up to a porch in the corner, pulled out a laptop from the pile of rubbish and passed it to Constantin and Linda.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6710

- Let us see, then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore, - whispered Linda under her breath as Constantin settled the computer on the stone parapet.

He turned it on. Several seconds later a password prompt screen showed up.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6711

- Of course the whole disk is encrypted, - Constantin started thinking aloud. - Now, if the password is just a sequence of random characters... I won't ever pick it. So let's assume it is something I can in theory figure out, and go with that... It must be meaningful. And long, kind of like CorrectHorseBatteryStaple, but it has to be something we both knew.
- You think Ian would have foreseen that you'd need to guess his password? - commented Linda.
- He called me, - he nodded, eyes still fixed on the screen. - We used to be friends back in the day. Until he threw me under the bus to advance his career. Metaphorically speaking, of course. Hm, this might be a clue... What did he say then? Ah! The needs of the many! Did he use "of the few" or "of the one"?..

Constantin started typing frantically, then slammed Enter - and the prompt changed to a login screen with username "Ian" selected.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6712

- Yes! - he exclaimed triumphantly. - Now we can mount this drive to any other computer and use this password to read it! But what if he had the same password for login as well?

It worked. A desktop appeared on the screen.
- Woo-hoo! - cried Emily excitedly. - You did it! Thank you!
She then hugged him from behind. Linda tensed involuntarily.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6713

- I didn't expect it to work on the first try, - muttered Constantin, breathing heavily.
- Now, if you don't mind, - Emily reached out to grab the laptop.
He stopped her absentmindedly:
- Wait, this is addressed to me...
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6714

There was a single icon on the desktop. From where she stood Linda could barely make out its title - FOR_COSTA.txt. But the font in text editor was too small for her to follow once he clicked on the icon and started reading.

- Wait, what? It can't be... - Constantin frowned. - He says he has evidence... No, no-no-no-no...
- Costa, what's wrong? - gasped Linda in alarm.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6715

He didn't answer. He grabbed his head in his hands and, moaning something indistinguishable, collapsed on the stairs.
At the same moment, before Linda could reach out to him, a sound of footsteps came from the alley, pulling her attention to the other direction.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6716

She turned to that noise and saw two masked troopers with assault rifles at the ready.
- Freeze! - they shouted in unison.
Incompatible perceptions (updated 2024-02-24: Chapter 9 - The End) Cnr_6717

Next chapter

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Must have been quite the shocking reveal... and then those troopers show up to interrupt... so inconsiderately! Nice new installment. And I sense a jealousy subplot developing too...

BAMComix

BAMComix
Exciting stuff! Looking forward to learning more!

Visisonor

Visisonor
Thanks!

BAMComix wrote:Looking forward to learning more!
GubernatorFan wrote:Must have been quite the shocking reveal
And while on the subject of learning more, I will address it in this story of course, but I think it won't really be a spoiler if I say that Constantin is an agent and thus is susceptible to issues discussed in the last chapter of Diary of a field agent.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum