OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rooted Hair Piece/ Head Sculpt Scalp with Medium-Sized Afro or Cornrows

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

craftsrmyluvlanguage

My first black body is coming this week. I’m hoping to customize an existing head to have rooted hair with a more natural African American texture. Ideally, I’d find an afro hair piece similar to YMT032 (see below) in black.

Rooted Hair Piece/ Head Sculpt Scalp with Medium-Sized Afro or Cornrows Img_2413

The dream is to get rooted hair that’s already braided. I’m not skilled enough to braid hair at such a small scale. I’m hoping for a rooted hair piece with a hairstyle like the photo below

Rooted Hair Piece/ Head Sculpt Scalp with Medium-Sized Afro or Cornrows Img_2414

Diana

Diana
Oooph. I love your plan, but I have never seen rooted styles like that. They have all been sculpted, at least at the top. Which makes sense to me, because the holes just have to be a certain size to fit some hair through, and in styles like this these holes would be visible.

It could work when the hair is glued on instead of rooted. But this particular style is more like a bunch of french braids, meaning more and more hair is added throughout the braid, which complicates things. I wouldn't wanna do it and I'm usually up for anything (theoretically anyway).

I hope you find a way and that I get to see the results! Very Happy

3Rooted Hair Piece/ Head Sculpt Scalp with Medium-Sized Afro or Cornrows Empty Mini Braid Rooted Hair Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:10 pm

craftsrmyluvlanguage

That is a fair point. My goal is to have the mini braided look, without having to do the braiding myself. Some sleuthing revealed that several fashion dolls achieve this look, like the Barbie Brooklyn dolls or the fashion dolls for that recent Wish movie. Some etsy shops sell the prebraided doll hair in bulk. But this tutorial also does a great job with yarn

I'll probably go with the yarn option. It's cheaper, and opens up the possibility of going for dreadlocks, too. If the yarn doesn't work, I'll harvest hair from one of the Wish dolls that everyone's discounting now.

craftsrmyluvlanguage

My first reroot and skin tone repaint is done. It’s not perfect, but the end result is better than I expected, as I didn’t have access to high quality craft supplies.

I have to travel for work every other month. My new past time is to see how much of a craft project I can complete using supplies from One Day Amazon Prime Shipping and the limited offerings at the Target near my hotel. Per Gubernator’s tutorial, I popped off the original hair and made a hair piece from black modeling clay. This Mickey Mouse ily 4ever fashion doll was on clearance, so I bought her to use as a donor Rooted Hair Piece/ Head Sculpt Scalp with Medium-Sized Afro or Cornrows Img_2510
A (likely knockoff) Angelababy head sculpt from Amazon fit my penchant for realistic round head sculpts. I cut the hair at the root and repainted the skin with a black primer and Artist’s Loft Raw Umber acrylic paint. I used super glue to attach each braid to the air-dried model magic, pressing the top of the cut braid into the glue so each strand attached to the scalp. This created a more realistic part line.

Rooted Hair Piece/ Head Sculpt Scalp with Medium-Sized Afro or Cornrows 41aa0f10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice work! I'm glad you found the braids in sixth scale.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Good for you for taking the plunge and being adventurous....it's truly the best way to figure out things in 1/6 scale. Very Happy

And I do think yarn is a good option if you want to try dreadlocks in future -- I know Lynkhart had posted something about how to do those a while back but I cannot remember the thread now.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Diana

Diana
Nicely done! I'll never walk past those dolls the same way again. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum