OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

skywalkersaga

GubernatorFan wrote:

LOL, if I bring you shirtless Momoa, will you be ok with it being sans tattoos? Smile

Funny that such clumsy dialogue should be so fitting, but you're right about the first Conan movie on all counts.

Coomodel's Vikings are a remarkable set, and a treasure-throve for kitbashers, though one would wish there were some more realistic pieces too.

Ha, I suppose that would be a bearable sacrfice. Razz 

And apologies if I was seeming overly dismissive of the Coomodel set, I just mean that I could not muster enthusiasm for it as something Viking-related. But yeah, those do seem quite perfect for fantasy kitbashes for sure. And you've utilized them well so far. : )

ETA: Beastmaster is another fun one!

ReverendSpooky

skywalkersaga wrote:Secondly, I completely agree with you, Rev, that while the first Arnie movie is a CLASSIC and is by far the better film, that the Jason Momoa Conan was probably a bit closer to the Robert E. Howard version of the character. Both in terms of physical features, and characterization as you noted. I'm glad at least I was not alone in thinking that. 

You mentioned the dialogue and cinematography in the original Conan movie, and yes, completely agree. The score/soundtrack is also pretty iconic. 

So glad to hear you're on my side on this one.  I think he must have read a bunch of the original stories when he got the part, because he just got it.  And you're right, really looked the part.  I think it's a real tragedy that the film was so bad, because we'll never get to see him reprise the role, and I think that's a real shame.  

And yeah, I had totally forgotten to mention how incredible the soundtrack was as well!  It really is a perfect film in it's own right.  And I do think Arnold is great in it.  

GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you very much. I agree that it works pretty well, even if not quite perfectly (hence the rationalization about him trying to fill someone else's shoes -- and vambraces); let's not forget it is a test.

The forehead hairline is a difficult transition point even for professional action figure makers (look at Asmus' Lord of the Rings figures), and I don't trust myself to handle it perfectly. So I decided to leave a bit of the sculpted locks in that area, and since they work well enough, I left them in. If the contrast was greater, I would have removed them. I made the same choice with the more recently re-haired KP Arnold/Conan head sculpt, although there the sculpted hair is more covered by the "real" hair. (see here: https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2126-converting-arnold-schwarzenegger-kp-conan-head )

Momoa worked very well for this type of character visually, but I was long sold on Arnold as Conan (and never knew Conan in any other form); moreover, technically Arnold's features might be more plausible for a Cimmerian. At any rate, I didn't think the Momoa film was quite as bad as everyone else seems to think it was. But for all of its strangeness, the first Conan movie was a bit of a masterpiece (not least because of the music).

Yep, Krull was a fun, strange film. I wish there were more like it. And can I mention the (original) Beastmaster? Smile
You can ALWAYS mention Beastmaster.  I remember LOVING that movie so much as a kid, but have only vague memories of it today.  May need to re-watch too.

And I don't think any rationalization is necessary.  I was actually making the point that the outfit look really great on him, and it's so odd that we would even think otherwise, that the gigantic M34 or M35 would be the standard.  Everything looks like it fits as it should.  I dig the whole set up a lot, and think he looks like a finished figure, even if he is just a test.

I agree that getting the front hairline right is tricky.  I had to stare at the Conan head for a long time before U could even see the plastic hair that was combed over.  I've got a few tricks I use when I wig a head to try to get that front part right, but it's always the most difficult part.  I didn't even notice the plastic part here at first, and it definitely works.  It's just something I can be fanatical about.  

And I totally get how Arnold is the definitive Conan for most people.  And honestly, I think he's actually fantastic in the movie.  I was just so surprised when seeing Momoa play the role just how much he inhabited the role, as I'd pictured it reading Howard's stories and a lot of the comics more closely based on them.  So many of the  more subtle traits and his charisma just came through so perfectly.  That scene where he gets captured on purpose, and the moment where he smiles and lets them know he's exactly where he wanted to be, is so perfectly Conan, and I'd love to have seen him in the role, in a film that was anywhere near the caliber of the original.  

GubernatorFan wrote:Funny that such clumsy dialogue should be so fitting, but you're right about the first Conan movie on all counts.
There's so much of the dialogue I just loved.  I think both Conan and Subotai are both foreigners in the place where this takes place, and I think they way they speak, accents and all, really fit.  And any of the exchanges between them are just perfect.  My favorite moment is still

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"

(It should be no secret that I drew some inspiration from Crom for Abarath and Marrow's relationship to him)

or Subotai referring to civilization as "ancient & wicked."  It's just so good.

http://reverendspooky.com

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I just couldn't resist...

custom - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 3 Conane17

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Also, someone wanted him shirtless...

custom - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 3 Conane18

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Ovy

Ovy
Also very cool. You really find many uses for those two Metal Vikings' equipment.

And if he was one of the Postapocalyptic Pacific Shell People, they would call him Jason Moana.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh.

Thank you. ;D

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That entire ensemble looks great on him. Nicely done, Guv.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

custom - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 3 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Also very cool. You really find many uses for those two Metal Vikings' equipment.

And if he was one of the Postapocalyptic Pacific Shell People, they would call him Jason Moana.

Jason Moana sounds like a fun idea. There is less Vikings equipment on that last one, see below.

skywalkersaga wrote:Oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh. Thank you. ;D

You are welcome. The things I do for you! I hope the hubbster doesn't get the wrong idea. Wink

Stryker2011 wrote:That entire ensemble looks great on him. Nicely done, Guv.

Thank you very much. So this ensamble, in case you are interested in any of the pieces is as follows:
* four belts, furry loin cloth, axe, horn, and knife from CooModel Vikings;
* sandals/boots, vambraces, dagger from TBLeague's second Hercules (the one with the lion's head);
* sword is a Justice League key chain from eBay (shazzdan was showcasing these);
* the pants are from one of the recent KP Roman figures;
* the shoulder fur is Spanish rabbit from Hobby Lobby

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the breakdown, Guv. Very useful. Did you make the leg wraps and vambraces?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

custom - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 3 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks for the breakdown, Guv. Very useful. Did you make the leg wraps and vambraces?

You're welcome. No, not on that last one. They were from the TBL second Hercules (with the lion pelt and head); the leg wraps are actually part of the sandals/boots, although I sliced them loose to allow for articulation at the ankle -- even if this is not actually shown in the image.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
They all look great, I mean who doesn't like Vikings?! 😁I mean other than the people they fight against or the monsters they slay.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! custom - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 3 1f60e

blackpool

blackpool
He looks fantastic bro! "Are you entertained!?"

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:

skywalkersaga wrote:Oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh. Thank you. ;D

You are welcome. The things I do for you! I hope the hubbster doesn't get the wrong idea. Wink

Haha, never fear, Mr. Skywalkersaga is pretty chill about these things.  Razz

And apologies for not replying more extensively -- I saw the pic literally as I was falling asleep the other night, and then life got a bit hectic.  But I most definitely appreciate this one, and I can imagine it must have taken some doing, putting that outfit together. I think this look suits him much better -- and fits him better -- than the previous one, though of course I am biased! ;D 

Thanks also for the breakdown of all the pieces -- I shall have to acquire some rabbit fur for when I eventually do my own fantasy character somewhere down the line. Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:They all look great, I mean who doesn't like Vikings?! 😁I mean other than the people they fight against or the monsters they slay.

Thank you! And I have always thought that, much as we do seem to "like" the Vikings, we would probably feel very different if they came by a-knocking (down doors) and asking what's in our wallets...

blackpool wrote:He looks fantastic bro! "Are you entertained!?"

Thank you very much!

skywalkersaga wrote:Haha, never fear, Mr. Skywalkersaga is pretty chill about these things.  Razz

And apologies for not replying more extensively -- I saw the pic literally as I was falling asleep the other night, and then life got a bit hectic.  But I most definitely appreciate this one, and I can imagine it must have taken some doing, putting that outfit together. I think this look suits him much better -- and fits him better -- than the previous one, though of course I am biased! ;D 

Thanks also for the breakdown of all the pieces -- I shall have to acquire some rabbit fur for when I eventually do my own fantasy character somewhere down the line. Smile

Truly, Mr Skywalkersaga is the very best of husbands! Smile

No problem at all -- thank you for commenting anyway, and the comment was as effective as it was short. Dare I assume I can guess what you were dreaming of once you fell asleep? Wink

Glad to be of help with the breakdown; and rabbit fur from craft stores (or wherever else one might find it) is generally a helpful material. You can even give it a bit of a haircut if you think it is too long. It is also quite soft.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Nicely done!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:Nicely done!

Thank you very much, Roger.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I was annoyed at not having done anything remotely creative lately (honestly, I haven't had the time, and I shouldn't have made any), so when a certain head sculpt from one parted out set and some pieces parted out from the CM Dragonborn set arrived, I just couldn't resist bashing together another fantasy warrior. I only ended up using the pants and fur-carrying belt from the Dragonborn warrior so far, besides the helmet, of course. Did the leather cuirass with craft leather and leather cord. For a quick simple bash I think it turned out ok.

custom - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 3 Conane19

custom - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 3 Conane20

What do you think?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
For what it is worth (though this custom seems to get no love), if anyone is interested, the Dragonborn Warrior set has just been parted out by both Monkey Depot and (a little further back) Toy Anxiety.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh gosh, my bad... I think I missed this update. I actually think he looks great. That headsculpt is really, really nice and very handsome. Wink I'm not familiar with what the Dragonborn set is supposed to be, but what you did with this is great. I love the cuirass you made! I'm guessing you also made the footwear from the same materials?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Oh gosh, my bad... I think I missed this update. I actually think he looks great. That headsculpt is really, really nice and very handsome. Wink I'm not familiar with what the Dragonborn set is supposed to be, but what you did with this is great. I love the cuirass you made! I'm guessing you also made the footwear from the same materials?

No problem. Figured as much, as you and Mark are usually pretty responsive and considerate Smile
Thank you, glad that you liked him. I don't know who he is supposed to be, it's from the Soldier Story Medal of Honor Warfighter VooDoo Navy Seal Tier One Operator set SS106 (HERE). The hair styling (with the little ponytail on near the top of the back of the head that you can't see and the similar treatment to the beard) made me think he would be suitable for a fantasy premodern bash. The poor guy has scars, too, so definitely suitable for a warrior. If you do like the head, I believe you can find it at the usual places (or eBay) for a reasonable price. He could totally be a Jedi (or a Sith).

The cuirass is pretty basic (my first try) but I think it works ok, considering. The footwear is also my first attempt for a male TBLeague, and I wanted something a little more sturdy than what I had managed for my female fantasy warriors (those were flimsy and need some repairing by now). I used a pattern for making Roman socks (udones), although of course those were not meant for thick (in this scale) leather. Then some bindings, which are part wound, part tied, and part glued (but in such a way as to leave the foot removable). It ended up looking pretty messy and imperfect, but some of that is by design -- he's supposed to look barbaric and a little makeshift after all.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ah, I never would have guessed where the head was from. It still throws me to see so many military guys with beards, lol. 

And the footwear definitely fits the barbarian vibe, so much so I almost didn't realize it was something you'd made and that hadn't just come with some kind of set until I looked more closely.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Ah, I never would have guessed where the head was from. It still throws me to see so many military guys with beards, lol. 

And the footwear definitely fits the barbarian vibe, so much so I almost didn't realize it was something you'd made and that hadn't just come with some kind of set until I looked more closely.

So true, it looks odd to me too, but I suppose times they are a-changing...

And, Awww, flattery would get your everywhere... Smile Thanks.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
A couple more photos. Experimenting with my new computer and screen...

custom - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 3 Conane21

custom - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 3 Conane22

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Experimenting to great effect! He just needs a furry hat and a cloak in that wintry climate, lol.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Experimenting to great effect! He just needs a furry hat and a cloak in that wintry climate, lol.

LOL Very true... I think he was huddled up in a makeshift tent and when he woke up, it had snowed! He was awakened by the sound of footsteps crunching into the snow and rushed out sword in hand to confront the potential intruder. That's why he forgot his helmet and other stuff! Besides, he's too much man to let a little bit of cold bother him. Smile

Really, I hadn't downloaded any photos on the new computer yet, and that was the first Microsoft Sign-In screen photo that I happened to find on it that was at all suitable.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
LOL! Well, the backstory/explanation works for me. Very Happy 

It really does look good though, and I'll be curious to see other backdrops as well. .

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sky's kind concern got him a makeshift cloak, and this time he didn't forget his helmet, as he tried to explore some ruins before sunset... (yes, I know about light direction, but we're trying to show a figure, you know... Smile )

custom - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 3 Conane23

custom - Conanesque: A Fantasy Warrior Kitbash (update 5: February 2020) - Page 3 Conane24

Nekk-ra

Another great custom, GubernatorFan. You really have a great eye for mixing parts from different figures together to create a brand new whole. Of course, then I end searching for some of these parts while my wallet calls me inappropriate names. Oh well.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nekk-ra wrote:Another great custom, GubernatorFan. You really have a great eye for mixing parts from different figures together to create a brand new whole. Of course, then I end searching for some of these parts while my wallet calls me inappropriate names. Oh well.

Thank you very much, Nekk-ra, I'm glad you liked it. And if it inspires you to make your own kitbashes by stocking up on parts, I wish you well and apologize for any stress to your wallet. Seems like one has to keep an eye out and pounce on the rare deals (or no deals but items one really "has" to have). In my experience, helmets, swords, and sometimes boots tend to command the heftiest prices (the sword here was from an inexpensive letter-opener, thanks to shazzdan for showcasing it), the other items are often affordable enough to buy more than one at a time. This does influence what I buy and what I have available or have to make myself (as do various other factors), but sometimes some pieces just call out to you, right? Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum