OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 39]

skywalkersaga

The textures really do add a LOT to the overall effect. I can tell this is going to look amazing once finished. I'm so glad you have pressed on with this project regardless of the various setbacks -- it's already looking Most Impressive. Wink

Re: the backgrounds -- I've been wanting some of those backdrops for ages, but the shipping costs to the UK are just insane. I hope he's still making them once I finally save up for them!

Stryker2011

Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:The textures really do add a LOT to the overall effect. I can tell this is going to look amazing once finished. I'm so glad you have pressed on with this project regardless of the various setbacks -- it's already looking Most Impressive. Wink

Re: the backgrounds -- I've been wanting some of those backdrops for ages, but the shipping costs to the UK are just insane. I hope he's still making them once I finally save up for them!

Thanks. Yeah, he makes some cool stuff, but... yeah, not cheap that’s for sure.

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks. Yeah, he makes some cool stuff, but... yeah, not cheap that’s for sure.

I had purchased one of the smaller detolf backgrounds a long time ago -- it was very nice but too small for my purposes. The larger ones, where available, are exponentially expensive.

If you are able to give me enough reference photos of what you want on the background image (and I realize this might be a tall order), and the dimensions, I could try to cobble something together (although there are others here with better computer graphic skills than me) for free -- and you can print it relatively cheaply in your local Staples or other similar stores with printing services.

If nothing else, we can start by scanning, blowing up, and modifying the printed background of the Hasbro Jabba's Palace 3D display diorama.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Stryker2011

Founding Father
That’s very generous, Guv, but I don’t want you to go to that kind of trouble. It’s a massively tall order, and one of the biggest problems I’ve found is there really aren’t enough photos, particularly from the same angle to give any clear shot at doing it easily. I’ve even been looking at background art from one of the video games, where some of the stuff is probably not accurate, but at least it’s done without figures in the way. I also have to factor in that I’m not doing the complete steps, so I have to add the remainder in. Like I said... massively tall order. Thanks, though, I greatly appreciate it. I’ll probably end up painting it anyway, cause I doubt twelveinchfigures will make one solely to satisfy my needs, anyway. I think his goal was to do basically something similar to the Hasbro one.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That is so true, regarding the photo issue. It's often impossible to find something from the correct angle in the first place, let alone without too much other stuff in the way to make it usable. So I understand your frustration.  I was actually considering that I might eventually have to paint a background or two to get precisely what I want, as well.  

I think that in this case, either one -- printed/photoshop or painting -- will work, mainly because diorama surrounding it will itself be so good and detailed, and will already in itself provide the sense of depth and space needed to bring it to life. : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:That’s very generous, Guv, but I don’t want you to go to that kind of trouble. It’s a massively tall order, and one of the biggest problems I’ve found is there really aren’t enough photos, particularly from the same angle to give any clear shot at doing it easily. I’ve even been looking at background art from one of the video games, where some of the stuff is probably not accurate, but at least it’s done without figures in the way. I also have to factor in that I’m not doing the complete steps, so I have to add the remainder in. Like I said... massively tall order. Thanks, though, I greatly appreciate it. I’ll probably end up painting it anyway, cause I doubt twelveinchfigures will make one solely to satisfy my needs, anyway. I think his goal was to do basically something similar to the Hasbro one.

It is not a massively tall order. In fact, I got started on it, in part to see how doable it would be. I scanned the folded-up diorama (a bit of a challenge for several reasons) in a couple of parts, put them together, and proceeded to cover up the seams (which were pretty obvious) by cloning other parts of the image over them. Here is a very rough mock-up, still in scale with the 3.75-inch figures -- which I have included for depth. I think that apart from the very unrealistic 2D arch, it works pretty decently. The only seam you see is the one where one of my printed sheets overlaps the other, which would not be an issue with the commercially printed poster.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 12 Jp0110

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 12 Jp0210

If you like it, the next steps would be cloning the wall textures over the arch -- you have your own 3D arches, and they probably have a slightly different outline (besides, for some reason the different panels on the Hasbro diorama had slightly different colors on the respective segments of the arch) -- to extend the flat background surface which will be partly overlapped by your walls. Then we can manipulate colors, contrast, etc, as needed. And finally, it can be blown up to the correct scale. Then you can have it printed on matte paper and stick it at the back of your diorama until something better comes along.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Aww, I love it, GF! And it does sound like it could be helpful even for 1/6 scale. : )

I'm also super envious of your 3.75" Jabba and co.!  Whatever people might think, that scale is the first I collected and I will always prefer it as my go-to scale when it comes to the smaller, 'all-plastic' SW action figures. Thanks for sharing! Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Hi Guv. I’m a little out of it at the moment, just got back from another surgery I’m a little out of it

I’ll get back to you

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 12 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Hi Guv. I’m a little out of it at the moment, just got back from another surgery I’m a little out of it. I’ll get back to you

No problem, I have too much work as it is. Get better soon!
Cheers!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Aw, hope you feel better, Stryker. <3

scalawag

scalawag
Hope you are feeling more yourself again soon Stryker2011. Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery.

Paul

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Get well soon Stryker2011.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, everyone. Didn't get a lot of sleep last night, so I'm about to upload a bunch of New Product info -- need to get my mind off the pain. Thanks again.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
And boy did you deliver on the bunch of the new product announcements! There was a ton, and it included some really nice stuff. I hope you're feeling better already. Smile

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

This is coming along nicely.

It was sad news about Peter Mayhew, a true gentle giant

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:And boy did you deliver on the bunch of the new product announcements! There was a ton, and it included some really nice stuff. I hope you're feeling better already. Smile

Rogerbee wrote:
This is coming along nicely.

It was sad news about Peter Mayhew, a true gentle giant

CHEERS!

Thanks, guys. I haven’t been able to do any further work on this. “No driving, operating machinery or power tools, and no strenuous activity” until the Dr. clears me. Kidney stone surgery two years in a row! Absolutely sucks — I’m impatient to get back at it.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ugh, so sorry! Hope you feel better and are 'cleared' soon. <3

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Ugh, so sorry! Hope you feel better and are 'cleared' soon. <3

Thanks, SWS. Me too. Crying or Very sad

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Phenomenal work! Sorry I hadn't seen all this before, I had no idea you were doing all this custom work, wondered why everyone was still chatting about the SSC Jabba throne, I know it's a fantastic piece but the 6 pages got me curious!LOL. Man, sucks to hear you've just come out of painful surgery! And there I was moaning about my fillings! Embarassed Some fantastic pics of Peter with Carrie there, love the last one RIP guys.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:Phenomenal work! Sorry I hadn't seen all this before, I had no idea you were doing all this custom work, wondered why everyone was still chatting about the SSC Jabba throne, I know it's a fantastic piece but the 6 pages got me curious!LOL. Man, sucks to hear you've just come out of painful surgery! And there I was moaning about my fillings! Embarassed Some fantastic pics of Peter with Carrie there, love the last one RIP guys.

Pain is pain, Brother. It all sucks. Yeah, I probably should have started a different thread for my diorama build, but it’s too late now. Thanks for the compliment.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:

Eph wrote:OMG !!! You have the Rebo Band Creatures in 1:6 ? Love them

I wish they were precisely 1/6th scale (they're supposed to be), but they're actually closer to 1/7th scale -- a bit small, but it'll do.

Where did you find those? I've only ever seen the GG 1/6 busts, I had planned to make the band a few years ago, even bought some unusual base figures for them but never got around to it.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

I wish they were precisely 1/6th scale (they're supposed to be), but they're actually closer to 1/7th scale -- a bit small, but it'll do.

Where did you find those? I've only ever seen the GG 1/6 busts, I had planned to make the band a few years ago, even bought some unusual base figures for them but never got around to it.

It’s the “Gentle Giant Max Rebo Band”, I found on eBay. It was cheaper than I’ve seen it before (I think because the weird feather piece on the singer is missing).

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:
shovelchop81 wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

It’s the “Gentle Giant Max Rebo Band”, I found on eBay. It was cheaper than I’ve seen it before (I think because the weird feather piece on the singer is missing).

Nice score! cheers

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Sorry to hear about your surgery, hope you recover well and it doesn't reoccur.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:Sorry to hear about your surgery, hope you recover well and it doesn't reoccur.

CHEERS!

Thanks, Roger... me too.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Still taking it relatively easy, but over the last couple of days my impatience has gotten the better of me, so I glued the pieces together for the final arch; I had them cut prior to surgery so it was relatively easy and didn't require any strenuous activity. Then I finished adding the texture to the stairs to the left of Jabba's throne, and added the texture to the Han arch and the wall & arch behind the band. I still need to fill in the gaps in the wallpaper and along the edges, but it's getting there.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 12 Img_7741

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 12 Img_7739

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 12 Img_7740

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 12 Img_7742

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 12 Img_7743

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 12 Img_7744

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 12 Img_7745

scalawag

scalawag
Awesome mate, and great to see you feeling well enough to get into this again.

Paul

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
That is coming together really well.

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think we're getting close to the "almost there... almost there" stage. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 39]