OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP)

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 39  Next

Go down  Message [Page 23 of 39]

blackpool

Man that looks awesome!!! Th etexture is just perfect, this is gonna be epic once finished!

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Thanks, fellas. Appreciate it.

I put the contact paper down on half the floor. Soon I can start “sanding”.

shovelchop81

Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks, fellas. Appreciate it.

I put the contact paper down on half the floor. Soon I can start “sanding”.

I'm assuming you're using real sand on adhesive paper? To get variations, ripples, banks and dimples etc.. I use PVA glue mixed with sand or you can 'draw' with the glue then sprinkle the sand on top until it completely covers the glue then shake the excess off when it's dry. I've done this a lot for dio bases in the past.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
I still have to use glue over the top of the contact paper — it’s only sticky on the underside — but I wanted to lay something down with imperfections to get kind of that disturbed sand floor look. The idea of running glue sounds promising, I’ll have to try that, too. I’m not using real sand, but sanded grout (suggested by shazzdan); it’s a really fine powder — like baby powder — so it should be more appropriate for 1/6 scale sand.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Sanded grout sounds like a very good idea. But -- and I haven't checked -- are you sure the floor needs to be sandy or merely dusty?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
It wasn’t like desert floor sandy, but it was sandy — you could see the indents where the “wheels” of the throne left marks from moving forward and back.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 23 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ok, good. I was sure you had checked it out. You've done an amazing amount of research for this, and it shows. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks. My set design may not be perfect, but I’m still trying to add a certain amount of realism where I can. The research was a lot of work, but also kind of fun. It forces you to look at finer details you don’t always pay attention to, but you know are there — if you know what I mean. As a bonus, through all the thousands of pictures I scanned through, there’s always a ton of Carrie in her gold bikini — so it’s not all tedium. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Started adding the "sand" to the floor. I masked off all the areas where I don't need the sand to go -- it only needs to cover the areas that might be visible around the set pieces. I added "track" marks using Shovelchop's suggestion of drawing glue lines -- hope it works out. I tried the spray bottle technique after mixing a 50/50 ratio of water to glue -- but either I have a crappy spray bottle, or it's still too thick, as I couldn't get anything to come out -- so I had to paint the glue on the surface of the contact paper. Now I need to figure out a different technique to get the surface glue to stay on. Any ideas?

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 23 Img_7940
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 23 Img_7941
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 23 Img_7942

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Well, I found a better spray bottle and spritzed over the top of the sand, and added a bit more grout where needed. I’ll find out tomorrow if it worked to adhere the “sand”.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Looking forward to seeing it. But be warned, that if they don't get disassembled first, my Anakin and Amidala might want to come to the beach in your Jabba display sand and they get around... now that they've already wondered into the neck modification tutorial...

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
A beach party. Interesting idea — maybe that’s why Leia was wearing a bikini, she was getting ready to do some sunbathing while drinking fruity cocktails.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
There is actually a photo out there of Fisher and her double sunbathing in-between takes.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 23 Actors10

I remember reading an interview with Fisher how George had to keep on her about not tanning -- since prior to her appearance in the revealing outfit she was supposed to be in the black of space, fully clothed -- nowhere to get a tan. But she kept sneaking off to do it anyway.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
That's the one! If you were "parked" with a ship near a planet near a star, and you happened to be near the windows, wouldn't you tan? Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, I think most people would take advantage of a lot of downtime like that.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Careful with that powder as it can clot together and become like plaster rather than sand but it's all trial an error to get the look you want, its not like either option is expensive to experiment with, I get my sand from the street as I'm only a UK block away from the beach lol.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:Careful with that powder as it can clot together and become like plaster rather than sand but it's all trial an error to get the look you want, its not like either option is expensive to experiment with, I get my sand from the street as I'm only a UK block away from the beach lol.

That’s okay. I’d like it to still look like sand, but hard like plaster would be good. I don’t want loose sand all over the place (I’m sure the wife would agree with that).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 23 Nbi0711

Is it scary I can relate? Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Laughing Laughing Laughing

(There was literally no other possible response, lol.)

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yep, and that powedery grout is worse -- it's so fine, you sneeze and it goes all over the place. Everything in my garage is either covered with dust, sawdust, cobwebs, and now this stuff! Gah! I need to empty out the entire thing and bring in a fire truck to clean when I'm finally finished.

That being said, I pulled off the masking tape and masking from the "sand" floor panels. It turned out pretty good, I think. There's a couple spots where the underlying contact paper is starting to come through, but I'll just hit those spots up with a dab of paint, I think. (My apologies for my shadow being in the way a bit).

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 23 Img_7943
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 23 Img_7944

I started putting everything back together -- but there's a few more crevice screens and lights I want to get hooked up before I show anything else.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm not really surprised about the mess. The only other thing I could think of would be using kinetic sand, but that would only work for a considerably thicker application. Should I send Superhero Fire-Man to come help you clean up? Or would it be too much of a distraction for your lady wife? Smile

On a more serious note, while I don't remember enough of the film look and/or your desired look to know how close you got to that, I think the floor surfaces turned out great. Especially if what we see is now pretty securely fixed. If those straight lines under the sand were not intentional, I think you could leave them as is, perhaps showing some difference in the flooring beneath (trap doors?) or the imprint of something having been rolled over the surface (an overhead projector?) Smile . Anyway, I like what I see.

Ephiane

Ephiane
So much passion for detail, Fantastic ! And for me it´s good to know, if You work so Hard on this Dio, You must be in a good condition. Are You fine ?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GubernatorFan wrote:I'm not really surprised about the mess. The only other thing I could think of would be using kinetic sand, but that would only work for a considerably thicker application. Should I send Superhero Fire-Man to come help you clean up? Or would it be too much of a distraction for your lady wife? Smile

On a more serious note, while I don't remember enough of the film look and/or your desired look to know how close you got to that, I think the floor surfaces turned out great. Especially if what we see is now pretty securely fixed. If those straight lines under the sand were not intentional, I think you could leave them as is, perhaps showing some difference in the flooring beneath (trap doors?) or the imprint of something having been rolled over the surface (an overhead projector?) Smile . Anyway, I like what I see.

If that guy came over to help, my wife would probably run off with him. So... NO THANKS!!! rabbit

Ephiane wrote:So much passion for detail, Fantastic ! And for me it´s good to know, if You work so Hard on this Dio, You must be in a good condition. Are You fine ?

Thanks, Ephi. My shoulder is getting better all the time, and luckily I haven't had to have any further surgeries. I'm getting ready to go back to work next week (the company I worked for is hiring me back), but we'll see how long my health holds out; I guess that's why I really want to get this done -- before things go south again and I'm unable to finish it. Thanks for asking, I appreciate your concern.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh wow, good luck with finishing your project and with going back to your job! And I hope your shoulder continues to improve! : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks, Sky. Appreciate it.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Looks great to me! Although when I suggested 'drawing' with the PVA glue I meant natural curved mini dune like lines not straight ones LOL! Doesn't matter though as in this dio those could just be partially buried utility pipes for the palace's power lines, water pipes etc.. As for taking a firehose to your garage, don't feel bad, my house needs that!! pirat Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks. The lines in the sand are meant to be the wheels/tracks left by the dais as it moves back and forth. I think it'll be clear once you see the below pictures. I have all but one light running at the moment, and of course, the back BBQ pit area isn't present yet (but that entire image will be back lit -- how intense those lights are will determine how it affects everything else). I had to order another power supply to be able to light one of the overhead lights above the band, but this gives you some idea of what I was going for.

Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 23 Img_7947
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 23 Img_7945
 Jabba The Hutt Diorama (The Viewing Frame WIP) - Page 23 Img_7946

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Oh right! That makes sense now, I thought you said you'd done them by mistake but I must have got that mixed up with GF's comment about a photo projector... Yeah, I'm confused about what I was thinking too now lol.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 23 of 39]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 39  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum