OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

skywalkersaga

Just looked it up and it *does* look very nice. I’d be too tempted by that jumpsuit though — it seems perfect for Kaylee! Very Happy

But then I’ve cut up vintage dolls in my quest to find the right clothing for my 1/6 figures, so... Razz

Peaches

LOL, I'm going to have to work on myself here!  What else am I going to do if I don't use it, right?

LOL, Rogerbee! Funds are running out!

BTW, ideas for uses of the helmet or other parts are welcome??!!

skywalkersaga

I’d need to look at it again, but perhaps some of it could be used for River when she’s in the spacesuit ?

Even if things aren’t the right colour to start, certain items can be painted , whether plastic, faux leather , or even fabric ...

Stryker2011

Founding Father
As for the jumpsuit, might I offer a suggestion: instead of cutting the seam to remove the sleeves entirely — cut the sleeves just below the seam, about a quarter inch, and fold the fabric inside the jumper — you can sew those in if so inclined, but doing it that way would make it look like it being sleeveless was intentional.

And I understand where you’re coming from with not wanting to “damage” things that come in a set, but trust me — once you start down the path of modifying things, it gets a lot easier, and you’ll start to look more at the possibilities of what could be, as opposed to what it is.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:LOL, I'm going to have to work on myself here!  What else am I going to do if I don't use it, right?

LOL, Rogerbee!  Funds are running out!

BTW, ideas for uses of the helmet or other parts are welcome??!!

I know the funds feeling well. I keep promising to save for necessities, but, things have a habit of turning up that I can't resist!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Rogerbee wrote:I know the funds feeling well. I keep promising to save for necessities, but, things have a habit of turning up that I can't resist!

CHEERS!

Like Gremlins and Popeye!!! Wink

He who dies with the most toys wins!

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :) - Page 2 C8485110

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Indeed! I wasn't intending to get the TOTS pair till after I moved. Then I saw the Gremlin on my birthday and then Stripe had to follow.

There are some smaller figures out of Jayne and Kaylee, I think Funko make them.

CHEERS!

Peaches

Peaches
Love those Gremlins! And Popeye looks somehow perfect with the phicen mini girl!

And @Stryker2011, OMGosh, one of the things I was hating to do was to take the lovely top stitch off the arm holes, and your solution is a perfect solution! Thank you so much for leading me outside the box!

@skywalkersaga, same thing, thank you for the view outside the box as well! The gun holster can be painted and given to Zoe with a few mods maybe, or as a better prop instead of being in black! So cool, thank you all again!

@Rogerbee, do you mean the 1:12 Firefly crew? Yes, they are really nicely done!

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Yes, if they are 1/12. If they do River I'll be a happy bunny!

CHEERS!

Peaches

Peaches
I just looked them up and was surprised they only did 5 of the crew Sad

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:I just looked them up and was surprised they only did 5 of the crew Sad

That’s pretty much the problem with any franchise. Aside from Star Wars — how many ever get all of the main characters.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Even SW doesn’t always necessarily do everyone in every scale or collection ‘line’ — there are quite often (for me, anyway) frustrating omissions. It’s how I ended up here in the first place...

But yeah, I just looked up those Firefly figures and got excited , only to then be once again saddened when I saw there was no Inara or River. :’( My main Firefly ‘ships’ are Mal x Inara and River x Jayne (yes it’s a crackship but I love it), so there’s no point getting those if I can’t at very least have my OTP’s together! Razz

ETA: there is also that ‘Little Damn Heroes’ line which is super cute, but frustratingly they are just figurines. For the price, i’d rather have action figures, mainly because I love to make my figures interact with each other.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Even SW doesn’t always necessarily do everyone in every scale or collection ‘line’ — there are quite often (for me, anyway) frustrating omissions. It’s how I ended up here in the first place...

But yeah,  I just looked up those Firefly figures and got excited , only to then be once again saddened when I saw there was no Inara or River. :’( My main Firefly ‘ships’ are Mal x Inara and River x Jayne (yes it’s a crackship but I love it), so there’s no point getting those if I can’t at very least have my OTP’s together! Razz

Really? I’m curious who’s been shorted on the Star Wars front.

I was super excited when QMX announced the Firefly license with Mal, their first attempt at a 1/6 figure — but they handled it incorrectly at the outset, and lost money — so they took the position that the license wasn’t viable, and it died. Pissed me off to say the least. I was saving space, and money, for every character. I would have passed on half the Star Wars characters I’ve gotten recently had they finished that line.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
With the SW stuff, it all depends on what eras one focuses on , what scales one collects, and which characters one considers ‘main characters’, etc. As someone who currently collects mostly Clone Wars-era characters (and very specific ones at that) in a wide range of scales, it gets a bit less straightforward. And not just with the high-end side of things, but in general. One of the main characters from the Clone Wars still has not been released in the 6” Black Series line, for instance. And the only depiction of her in 1/6 form was a recent Hasbro doll, but that line ended up being cancelled before any other figures from the same era as her could be released. Hence why I started on a quest to create an Anakin ‘doll’ for her to hang out with (a project which swiftly got out of control , lol).

And yes, I realize my current focus is still a rather niche area when it comes to SW in general, but I have my reasons for needing to ‘live’ that era and finding solace in it, which i won’t get into here as this is a Firefly thread. : )

But yes, if there’d been 1/6 versions of the Serenity crew , I’d have collected them all too! One of the many reasons I’m so excited to see Peaches’ project here. Firefly is second only to SW as my favourite thing set in space. <3

Peaches

Peaches
Well, today I decided that River's  head is finished until the day I strip her clean and start over again.  That won't happen any time soon, I'd rather live with imperfection Razz

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :) - Page 2 46417230504_e59e369361_zRiver Tam needs hair Smile by ingiebee, on Flickr

And I'm still working up the courage to take out the arms of Kaylee's iconic jumper... and layed out the patches... a bit big, but I don't think I can do better Very Happy

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :) - Page 2 46417228244_f3785ddda1_zKaylee's Jumpsuit by ingiebee, on Flickr

The flash makes her red heart look yellow!  

Anyway, I have a little problem in that her head connector is ... different.  It is a full socket, and well glued in. It fits the phicen 25b ball but is slippery causing River's head to slump around.  I'm thinking a lining of... I don't know? rubbery stuff would help it make traction on the stainless steel ball, but I have no idea what to coat the socket with?  The thing is super glued in and I don't see an easy way to take it out Sad

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :) - Page 2 32198979827_014bd4a686_zStrange connector by ingiebee, on Flickr

Ugh, that nose is driving me crazy, It's not so noticeable in person, but the paint shows up so strongly in photos Sad

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Have you tried blu-tac on the ball joint?

Peaches

Peaches
Blu-Tac eh? Wow, OK, can't hurt, Can always dig out again, LOL. I like that, thanks Very Happy

doodlehobby

Peaches wrote:Anyway, I have a little problem in that her head connector is ... different.  It is a full socket, and well glued in. It fits the phicen 25b ball but is slippery causing River's head to slump around.  I'm thinking a lining of... I don't know? rubbery stuff would help it make traction on the stainless steel ball, but I have no idea what to coat the socket with?
Wow. Very nice WIP on the Firefly cast.

Regarding the head, do you mean it's wobbly loose like a bobble head? I use a thin foam sheet (ones used to delicately pack plates, fragile itmes) and cut a long strip. Then wrap it several times around the ball joint until it's roughly the same size as a regular ball joint. Then put the head on. If done correctly, it functions like a regular head on a ball joint. Only issue is that the moment you pop the head off it unravels and you need to do it again. I'm looking into a more permanent solution but won't know until my part comes in to test.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Omg! River is looking amazing !!! As is Kaylee’s jumpsuit!

I second the foam insert thing with the head . If the foam keeps popping out, try a tiny bit of double sided tape to both hold it together and hold it inside the head, if that makes sense. I am currently using this method, and it’s not perfect , but it works — you just need to fiddle with it a bit to make sure the head sits right ( prior to taping the foam in ). You could also tape it onto the tbleague ball joint itself instead of trying to tape it inside the head cavity, as doodlehobby suggested (probably easier than my overly fiddly method Razz).

So far looking incredible !

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:Well, today I decided that River's  head is finished until the day I strip her clean and start over again.  That won't happen any time soon, I'd rather live with imperfection Razz

And I'm still working up the courage to take out the arms of Kaylee's iconic jumper... and layed out the patches... a bit big, but I don't think I can do better Very Happy

The flash makes her red heart look yellow!  

Anyway, I have a little problem in that her head connector is ... different.  It is a full socket, and well glued in. It fits the phicen 25b ball but is slippery causing River's head to slump around.  I'm thinking a lining of... I don't know? rubbery stuff would help it make traction on the stainless steel ball, but I have no idea what to coat the socket with?  The thing is super glued in and I don't see an easy way to take it out Sad

Ugh, that nose is driving me crazy, It's not so noticeable in person, but the  paint shows up so strongly in photos Sad

She does look really good, you got her eyes spot on. This is as close as I ever got digitally:

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :) - Page 2 Oo52Drq

The face was a custom texture and really helped the likeness. I tried and tried with existing textures, but, could never find one that looked right. I did the underlying face in Poser years ago and it took me months and months and over 9 attempts before I got to something I liked. I studied every pic of Summer I could ever find and noted every detail. She has so many imperfect features, if just one is off it stands out a mile.

You've done really well!

CHEERS!

Peaches

Peaches
Thanks for the wrapping stuff suggestion, unfortunately I can't get that thing out of her head so I can do that. However, I think Stryker's idea will work Smile

@Rogerbee, Thank you for the complement. Hope I don't ruin the look finishing her up:D. Can you get your model printed in 3d?

Oh, and eyes are still dulled out...

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I was talking about the general shape of the eyes. Summer has one of those faces that completely changes in appearance according to the angle of the photo and the lighting. This is the main pic I used for reference:

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :) - Page 2 L0TsQZH

Her facial structure is so unique and really hard to capture. I'm not sure if I still have all the files. It's possible maybe that it could be printed.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Roger, if you’re interested in seeing the subtle differences in Summer’s face. Print that photo that you usd out and do that technique I mentioned in that discussion about the Luke Skywalker likeness (be sure to do it for both sides of her face, as it will really help show the difference from one side to the other) — it’ll help your eye to see where adjustments need to be made. I’m sure it’s something that can be done right on your computer, also, as opposed to using tracing paper. Cut the picture in half, mirror the image, and merge the original image to the mirror image. Summer does indeed have a subtle difference from one side to the other — unlike someone like Shannon Doherty, who is practically a Picasso painting.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Oooh, probably not, I nearly drove myself bat crazy trying to perfect Summer. I don't think I could go through all that again!

I did discover that she's in Season 2 of Arrow though. Paramount Network have only recently wrapped up the first one, so it's an exciting prospect that I've got some kickass Summer action to look forward to that I haven't seen before.

CHEERS!

Peaches

Peaches
Cool, love Summer Glau as well Smile

My comment on the eyes was meant for my figure. The store still doesn't have gloss Razz

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Saw earlier that QMX are making Firefly mini statues. There's only Simon Tam so far, but he does look pretty good.

CHEERS!

Peaches

Peaches
Do you mean the little damn heros?

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Yes, that's the one. Mmmm, I didn't look as closely at it as I should have. It's not quite as good as I thought.

CHEERS!

Peaches

Peaches
Oh, I think they're cute Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum