OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Rogerbee

Founding Father

Saw earlier that QMX are making Firefly mini statues. There's only Simon Tam so far, but he does look pretty good.

CHEERS!

Peaches

Do you mean the little damn heros?

Rogerbee

Founding Father

Yes, that's the one. Mmmm, I didn't look as closely at it as I should have. It's not quite as good as I thought.

CHEERS!

Peaches

Oh, I think they're cute Very Happy

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
[quote="Peaches"]Oh, I think they're cute Very Happy[/quote

I thought they were cute too! I am strongly considering getting a Jayne and River. My only hesitation is that they are a bit pricey, over here at least, considering that they are 'only' statues. But I do they think are super cute!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

I'll have another look sometime. I'll take a River in any scale!

CHEERS!

Peaches

Peaches
Poor river, I decided to do a repaint and now she has globs of putty on her face, it's like so many things aren't right about her face, I decided to start all over with her...so I'm buying another head just in case, LOL

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Aww, well i know the feeling...and also know how it goes to buy an extra as backup, lol!

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Sorry to hear that, I hope the new one works out.

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:Poor river, I decided to do a repaint and now she has globs of putty on her face, it's like so many things aren't right about her face, I decided to start all over with her...so I'm buying another head just in case, LOL

That's a bummer. I ended up buying 5 of the same head (just for that very reason). Hopefully, by the time I get to the 5th head, I'll know what I'm doing, and I'll have at least ONE that works.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :) - Page 3 C8485110

Peaches

Peaches
Well, I haven't ruined her yet that I know of, LOL. Seems like the more putty I put on, the more she looks like river (a younger SG). There is no word in English that I know of for one of my problem areas,but for dogs it's called the 'stop' where the nose hits the forehead. It's so sharp (thin) and deep on the sculpt, but with SG, it's shallower and softer, though still thinnish. The seller calls this a Korean face, though people also call it a SG face, so I can't judge if it was done well or not? But it definitely looks too sharp and needs to be made softer and younger.

In the mean time, my mohair arrived so if I can get her fixed up and painted, I can finish her Smile

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
The majority of mine were one shot deals. When I first started out, I didn't have an online bank account, a Paypal account or an eBay one. I'd buy full figures off the shelf just for one part!

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:Well, I haven't ruined her yet that I know of, LOL.  Seems like the more putty I put on, the more she looks like river (a younger SG).  There is no word in English that I know of for one of my problem areas,but for dogs it's called the 'stop' where the nose hits the forehead.  It's so sharp (thin) and deep on the sculpt, but with SG, it's shallower and softer, though still thinnish.  The seller calls this a Korean face, though people also call it a SG face, so I can't judge if it was done well or not? But it definitely looks too sharp and needs to be made softer and younger.  

In the mean time, my mohair arrived so if I can get her fixed up and painted, I can finish her Smile

There is a word in English for that part — it’s called the “bridge” (it’s where the two nasal bones meet to join the nasal cartilage together at the brow).

Peaches

Peaches
That gets expensive fast, eh? @Rogerbee?

Aw shucks @Stryker2011 , I thought the bridge was the boney part of the nose! Gosh I feel stupid! LOL

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:That gets expensive fast, eh? @Rogerbee?

Aw shucks @Stryker2011 , I thought the bridge was the boney part of the nose!  Gosh I feel stupid!  LOL

Technically, it is the bony part of the nose. The majority of a person’s nose is just cartilage. That part of the nose between the eyes isn’t all that big, but it’s the part most folks squeeze when they get a sinus headache.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Peaches wrote:That gets expensive fast, eh? @Rogerbee?

LOL

Not so much back in the day. I'm talking when a boxed 1/6 figure would cost £39.99. I paid that for my Gremlins! Thankfully it was a habit I got out of when I became more online savvy and figure costs went up.

CHEERS!

Ephiane

Ephiane
I´m fascinated by the likeness of Your Sculpts to Faces of the actors. Great Work !

Peaches

Peaches
Thank you! Fingers crossed it works out Smile

Peaches

Peaches
Just a wee update,. I have shepherd's, Simon's and Inara's heads in hand. Still waiting on Kaylee's and Zoe's. In case my River doesn't pass the test, I have a second head coming in. I still need to glue her hair on. I have clothes for everyone, though some of it is imperfect and kind of a stand in. I want at least two looks for the girls in the end.

Latest big expenses are that I chose to get my Washbourne a Jiaou body in 'natural' which should be lighter than the others. I might want to do bedroom scenes with Zoe, I just love that they explored healthy committed relationships on that show which are so rare! And their cute in-bed banter scene was a favorite. So a seamless arm is going to be nice to drape over her seams Smile with blankets doing the rest.

I also got another phicen 25b for Inara... Well actually, it's for River because I'm lazy and River is wearing Inara's outfit at the moment, LOL.
Wash's body will go to Simon and I ordered Shepherd's body which I have to wait for before painting his head. So I've mostly been spending money and working on Shepherd's sculpt. I tried taking a short cut because I was having a hard time taking off the hair of the original sculpt, LOL, and tried to overlay it but the head got too big. I gotta try dremeling it all down now. No shortcuts Sad

Inara's head sculpt has a larger nose than I thought, so she will also need to be modified beyond her hair.

And now I come to the biggest commitment to this project... Which dioramas to build and in which order. First one is most used and everyone hangs out there so I figure it may be the most important:
1. Kitchen/lounge
2. Cockpit
3. Inara's shuttle
4. Crew cabin
5. Loading Bay
6. I really want the crew cabin hall too

I'll need to add on to the house for this! LOL. I feel like Inara's shuttle would be the easiest to accomplish, but least useful.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father

Looking forward to seeing what you've done.

CHEERS!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yes, yes, and more YES to everything you're doing and planning here!! I'm rooting for you big-time! Very Happy

P.S. I can think of a NUMBER of uses for Inara's shuttle....and no doubt so can she and Mal.... Very Happy Wink Laughing

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Wow! Coming along nicely!
I was a late comer to Firefly, though not terribly, but late enough that I could not voice my opinion to keep it alive.
Serenity is an enjoyable movie, I think it does a nice job of summing up the series for people who have never seen it, even if it doesn't fit "puzzle perfect".
Each of the actresses and actors have other work, but it think Firefly brings out so much from their talents.
I can't wait to see your progress continue. I'm loving your work on them so far. Kaylee's jumpsuit looks great! I can almost hear her saying " And don't fly in anything with a Capissen 38 engine;they fall RIGHt out of the sky."

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
This all sounds so cool. I also like the banter in that scene: “Here lies Zoe.. all corpsified...” Hilarious. It’ll be great to see what you accomplish on all of the different heads, too.

Peaches

Peaches
Thanks for the votes of confidence though I haven't earned them yet, LOL. All excellent quotes to remember Very Happy

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Excited for the progress you've been making! Big respect for you just going all in and working on the whole crew at once. And of course, I fully support some big diorama backgrounds! Can't wait to see more.

Peaches

Peaches
Thanks @ReverendSpooky for that vote of confidence.  I'm sure it'll been tempered after these pictures, LOL

LOL, just thought I'd share my non-pro system of sculpting.  I basically slather putty on where I think I need it, do my best to build it up to what it should be, and then sand it to shape it.  This is what Simon, Shepherd, Jayne and Inara look like at the moment.

Shoot!  I just realized I forgot, Inara's upper lip sticks out  farther than the lower and I didn't take care of that, ugh!  I did shorten her chin and change her nose which was a large roman type/Barbara Streisand type of nose.  I couldn't see that when I bought the sculpt so I had to do another rhinoplasty  I don't think it's small enough, but I'd have to re-sculpt it to do it smaller, and I don't think I could do a good job of that (look at poor Shepherd!  LOL)

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :) - Page 3 33496945758_cb3f640899Step One: slather putty everywhere by ingiebee, on Flickr

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :) - Page 3 47320352822_b0ea1aa145Step One: slather putty everywhere by ingiebee, on Flickr

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :) - Page 3 33496946048_16dab7ea4bStep One: slather putty everywhere by ingiebee, on Flickr

WIP Crew of Firefly class ship Serenity :) - Page 3 47320352942_098f975a5bStep One: slather putty everywhere by ingiebee, on Flickr

The hair was an SOB to get off, thus the cuts.... at least I don't think you can die of a thousand cuts if they're all on one hand??!!!  LOL I say, if you don't spill a gallon of blood, it ain't art, right?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Jeez. Looks like you’ve done a fair bit of work, and bleeding, in the process. I think you’ve made some good strides. Try not to lose anymore blood, but keep up the good work.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh, wow — you have more courage than I, to make all these mods to the sculpts! I tip my non-existent hat to you! ;D

And ouch!! I know the feeling of those cuts.. my fingers looked similar after I attempted to mod something the other day using nothing but an exacto knife ... Razz

Peaches

Peaches
Actually the cuts hardly hurt. letting them bleed and congeal is my version of a bandaid especially when I want to keep going. Washing them probably would put bacteria or something into my system, LOL. I eventually got my hands cleaned up and they're not so bad Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum