OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Generally Jiaou bodies have a less sticky surface, have a little less articulation, and less smooth joint movement. They are made of TPE rather than silicone.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

Peaches

The one I have feels just like the silicon on my phicens, is it possible they changed? Or is TPE that similar? Thanks @GubernatorFan and @Skywalkersaga! Oh man, please tell me you have ginger kids, SQUEE! No worries, I'm too old to want to kidnap someone's kids to raise myself anymore, LOL. I could hardly keep up with my last one who will be 18 soon Razz but I'll always squee over redheads!

skywalkersaga

Peaches wrote: @Skywalkersaga!  Oh man, please tell me you have ginger kids, SQUEE!  No worries, I'm too old to want to kidnap someone's kids to raise myself anymore, LOL.  I could hardly keep up with my last one who will be 18 soon Razz but I'll always squee over redheads!

Haha, only 'ginger' fur-kids:

[photos removed for privacy reasons]

Wink Very Happy

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Those are a couple of cool looking pups.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks, Stryker! They pretty much *are* our kids, and go everywhere with us. :’)

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
They are adorable.

Peaches

Peaches
Gorgeous pups, @skywalkersaga! My Dad's favorite breed. Very Happy

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Aww thanks, guys! <3

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It appears that these are now released in four (4) different skin tones:

JOK-12D-YS ( Pale Tone )
JOK-12D-BS ( Suntan Tone ) they used to call this "wheat"
JOK-12D-BS01 (Dark Suntan Tone)
JOK-12D-PS (Dark Tone) they used to call this "black" but judging by past practice, the actual color might not be nearly as dark

New promotional photo (again, keep in mind these photos have usually intensified the colors and made them look darker and more vivid than they are) --

NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 Jd12d10

Source: https://www.monkeydepot.com/Jiaou_Doll_Strong_Seamless_Male_Body_w_Detachable_p/jdb0015.htm

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
I wonder if they've darkened up the 'black' here (the old 'black' used to be more or less the equivalent of TBL's male suntan) as now this new BS01 looks very much like TBL male suntan. The joy of misleading promo pic confusion strikes again.

I've got one of these 12 series bodies from the first run (the BS or 'wheat') and it's OK as a one-off over-roided muscleman body and a bit of variety from TBL's range. I find the BS and the original 'black' are actually pretty decent matches for DAMTOYS range of sculpts so they're useful in that regard. It has all the limitiations of Jaiou's female bodies, all the same.

I have three (one of each) from the 11 series and one has a broken foot peg (eventually solved only by glueing a boot onto the leg) as the early runs of that model were still plastic and not particularly hardy.

They also quietly reissued and upgraded the old 10 series with new metal ball joints and as it's less muscular (by 1/6 standards) than the 11 or 12 they are marketing it as a 'young' body. I may get one of these as it looks like a more successful attempt at the same effect TBL were going for with their M31.

The pics of the 10 series below seem like a more accurate representation of the skintones I'm familiar with, but who knows, Jiaou might have gone crazy with the dye remixing on the new range of 12 skintones above.

NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 S-l500
NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 S-l500

Weirdly they seem to have got their BS and PS demarkings mixed up here.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
GeeWillikers wrote:I wonder if they've darkened up the 'black' here (the old 'black' used to be more or less the equivalent of TBL's male suntan) as now this new BS01 looks very much like TBL male suntan. The joy of misleading promo pic confusion strikes again.

I've got one of these 12 series bodies from the first run (the BS or 'wheat') and it's OK as a one-off over-roided muscleman body and a bit of variety from TBL's range. I find the BS and the original 'black' are actually pretty decent matches for DAMTOYS range of sculpts so they're useful in that regard. It has all the limitiations of Jaiou's female bodies, all the same.

I have three (one of each) from the 11 series and one has a broken foot peg (eventually solved only by glueing a boot onto the leg) as the early runs of that model were still plastic and not particularly hardy.

They also quietly reissued and upgraded the old 10 series with new metal ball joints and as it's less muscular (by 1/6 standards) than the 11 or 12 they are marketing it as a 'young' body. I may get one of these as it looks like a more successful attempt at the same effect TBL were going for with their M31...

I don't know to what extent they actively darkened the color in the photo, although there seems to be a pattern to this. As one of our former contributors (haven't seen him here in ages), MarkEl, used to show us with TBLeague bodies, warm light can make the colors darker and more intense. Maybe they used that when making the photos. At any rate, at least in the past, their promotional images were markedly different from what you got in hand, and I would keep this in mind now too.

I agree that "wheat" (BS) and "black" (PS) were the most useful ones, although I imagine the new BS01 might work for something, too. Here is my old comparison photo (from back when there were only a couple female and one male Jiaou bodies out) -- you can see MarkEl's photo in warmer light earlier in the same thread (https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t56-phicen-jiaou).

NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 Jd201810

I think for a while now they have been using metal joints but the rest of the skeleton (such as there is) is plastic. I have some of their 10, 11, and 12 bodies, though I haven't bothered to check if there were "upgrades." I like them for the variation they provide and for their (not entirely fulfilled) potential, but between the price and a certain lag behind TBLeague in quality and poseability, I don't feel like investing much in these.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh, cool, I like those reissued 10 bodies. They do seem good for younger characters, or any male character who is not supposed to be a superhero or body builder. I know the tbleague M32 is less crazy when it comes to muscles, but it also happens to be quite a unique/distinct body type, while this re-released Jiaou one seems a little more... generic? So perhaps more versatile. I also appreciate that the legs are not super duper muscular, so hopefully easier to put clothing on it.

Thanks for sharing it, GeeW.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
I can confirm that the rebooted 10 series bodies are more realistic (or at least more average-looking) and much easier to dress than the 11 or 12 series. In hand, the skintone of the BS/Wheat body that I purchased is noticeably 'redder' than usual though (which happily works out fine for me in this case, as the particular DAMTOYS h/s I had in mind for it is also 'redder' than their norm).

As for the new fourth 12D skintone (BS01), has anyone seen this body listed anywhere? The other three seem fairly commonly available but there's no sign of this one yet, not even a sniff of a preorder.

EDIT: I know that Monkey Depot have them as a preorder, but I don't tend to preorder from them as they seem slow to get new items of that kind in unless they're TBL.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks, Gee. But no, I haven not seen the "fourth" skintone variant either, though I picked out a couple of the other three 12D bodies (BS and PS). I assumed this BS01 was a later development -- maybe it is still in the planned stage?

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for reporting back, GeeW. I'd be curious to see some pics, when you have the chance. : )

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Given the interest in this, since I have a couple of these bodies, I've taken them out and done a bit of a comparison (not full review of all the accessories, etc), which just posted. I hope it helps illustrate the difference between them (well, two of them, BS and PS) and a TBLeague muscle body.

Here's the link to the comparison review:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3830-jiaou-doll-strong-male-body-12d-and-tbleague-m35-and-m30-comparison

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
I've added some pics to the thread linked above.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
BUMPITY-BUMP:

I have, at least in theory, purchased one of the semi-mythical, promoted but never seen in the TPB flesh, 12D-BS01 models pictured upthread. A seller on AliExpress (yes, I know) claims to have all four variants. However, it isn't due until October as the only shipping option is the slow route (yes, again, I know).

So it may turn up in a month or two, or it may not. And if it does turn up, it might not be the right model, if this model even exists beyond the promo shoot above.

But I can afford the gamble at the moment, so I took it. Consider it taking one for the team. Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Cool, I hope it works out. And I hope you also have enough of the others to compare. Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’ve purchased from Aliexpress many times in the past with no issue (though, of course with the new scams taking place from China on eBay, it’s anyone’s guess if it’s also happening on AE as well).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 C8485110

Theflyingman

I've always been safe on Ali but now have a seller that consistently sends to the wrong address, sometimes in an entirely different state. First time I thought it was a mistake, so willing to give them a 2nd shot. But it happened again, which is now making me think it's some sort of new scam.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Well, it's been shipped already, according to AliEx, which is quite something. Chinese sellers seem to be  holding off on sending items for as long as humanly possible these days, so this could be promising (at least until it gets stuck in Belgium for a month like my Gethsemoni did Smile ).

Fingers crossed...

To be fair, I've never had any major issues with AliEx purchases either aside from the long shipping times and painful and tedious communication problems when issues do arise. That said, I've never been majorly ripped-off, and I've always received refunds where necessary ... eventually. Smile

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Theflyingman wrote:I've always been safe on Ali but now have a seller that consistently sends to the wrong address, sometimes in an entirely different state. First time I thought it was a mistake, so willing to give them a 2nd shot. But it happened again, which is now making me think it's some sort of new scam.

I think it might be, as I've experienced something very similar on Ebay and after seeing feedback from other disgruntled customers realised it was one of those 'going out of business' scams that are infesting ebay now. Don't give your seller a third chance.

It was eventually solved on ebay for me through getting in quickly and interacting with a real person at customer services. Unfortunately, AliEx's process is much more torturous and bot-based.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
UPBUMPDATE:

The fourth skintone variant 12D-BS01 I ordered has arrived almost a month early Shocked , so I can confirm that, remarkably, it actually does exist beyond the promo image above.

Pics will have to wait until next week, but in terms of skintone this matches TBL male suntan well - slightly lighter and warmer perhaps, but you won't notice until you compare them side-by-side. It compares most directly with an M33, but is still obviously different. It is also certainly a significantly different shade to the single 12D-BS that I already own.

There also seems to have been a very subtle design/aesthetic tweak between the two versions that is noticeable but difficult to pinpoint but which makes the BS01 seem a little more realistic (my 12D-BS is one of the first versions that still used plastic wrist & ankle pegs). The legs seem less bulky, even if they actually aren't (only a side-by-side comparison with my other 12D will settle it but it's not possible to do that until next week).

It seems sturdy enough and it stands well, but it also seems to have the usual problems of upper arm articulation and elbow/shoulder pose-holding that afflict other Jiaou bodies. Also, the skin is peeling in places, straight out of the box.

To be honest this isn't my favourite Jiaou body design to begin with (which is why I only own one other) but I was curious to see if this skintone variant actually existed or not and this is the only bodytype it's available in for now. As it turns out, as a one-off it's a fine addition/variant to TBL's League Of Muscular Gentlemen.

Currently it's wearing this head

NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 38df22f0a8cb750efad8b79f1f20c438_412x549

and it's a pretty good, but not exact, match (the head itself is a little darker than shown here).

I'd like to see Jiaou make their much more realistically-average 10A body in this skintone - I'd certainly buy more than one of those.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the info, GeeW. I agree, if they made the 10A body in that skintone, I'd buy a bunch of them too!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the info on both products, G.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Here are some quick shots (taken indoors with a flash, circa 4pm) of the 12D-BS01:

NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 DSCN1011NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 DSCN1010
NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 DSCN1012NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 DSCN1013

And showing the skin peeling

NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 DSCN1017
NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 DSCN1018

Comparison lineup shots with 12D-BS and TBL models (and further comments) to follow. Smile

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
I'm now beginning to believe that Jiaou's colour-coding is completely unreliable and arbitrary (I'm becoming more and more certain that the '12D-BS' I own is a mislabelled YS due to it's yellowish complexion, but I only have a single 11BS and a single 10BS to compare it to, and those are both completely different skintones to each other as well to add to the confusion). That said, here's a comparison lineup (with apologies for the lighting):

Left to right: Jiaou 12D-BS, Jiaou 12D-BS01, TBL M30, TBLM32 (didn't have an M33 to hand unfortunately)

Natural light:

NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 DSCN1006

Flash:

NEW PRODUCT: Jiaou Doll: 1/6 Strong Male Body Detachable Foot (3 skin tones) JOK-12D (NSFW!!!!!) - Page 2 DSCN1004

This is not to be taken as any kind of comparison guide to height by the way - the M30 is wearing boots that make him appear slightly taller; the M32 is not only wearing boots but also ankle extenders that make him appear even taller than he is to begin with (both figures are also padded at the midsection to bulk out their 'waspie' waists).

The design tweaks I speculated on earlier between the two Jiaous seem to have been entirely illusory - they're exactly the same figure I think, just in different skintones. As you can see though, the BS01 is a decent match for TBL's male suntan.

As for the sculpt I chose for BS01, while I really like it in terms of design, the total lack of a neck means it sits very low on a seamless body (but that can always be modded if you're brave and/or patient enough to try).

So: do I recommend the Jiaou 12D?

It's fine as a one-off, but I don't need an army of them.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the comparisons. Is it just an illusion, or is the second Jiaou body in the line-up shorter than the first?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum