OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Ovy

Ovy
News from Post-Apocalyptic Mediterra!

For the second phase of the Mediterran Project, I want to create two more characters - a Clan Chieftain and his Firstborn.

He will be the Chief of the Clan that Zraikos and Capraia are part of.  When they were little kids, their grandfather, the former Chieftain, was dethroned by this new Chief, a young warrior back then. He is ambitious, with some grand ideas of uniting the clans to match the power of the North Atlantic Cargo States. He is aided by his charismatic, intelligent but also very independently operating Firstborn.

Valzenka and Jordi are from a different, neighbouring clan. They love their independence but are aware that something might change.

I call him Big Chief for a reason, as I chose the Worldbox AT018 body.
I considered Strykers critique of the World Box body, as there are few heads that really seem to fit because of their size. I needed a headsculpt who would make a good father of an adult child and a strong leader and had to decide, like so many Hollywood studios before me: Which American could take the role of this important European figure?

I found three head sculpts on eBay. And ordered them all, as they were far below 20€s and can be of use, regardless of which one I choose for our chief. The quality was surprisingly great.

So, now to the heads.

Number 1: The Crowe
I think the sculpt is based on Superman's Dad.

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191127-000829

The Chief in his prime...
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth Gladiator-1

...and Crowe also has some experience leading the good life as a king!
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth Sei_21014648

Number 2: The Godfather

Look at that box, it's very fancy! Like Snake leather. With some glitter.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191127-000901

No shame in losing your Chieftain title to this young fella. Imagine him in Loincloth and shell armor.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth B4e94bdafa956467a3ba5b8f57379fa6

He achieved mass late in life too.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth Marlon_brando_old

Number 3: The White

Bloody by default, but great otherwise.

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191127-000925

He also has what it takes to be a chief. But if he keeps on throwing his pizzas onto the roof he wil never achieve a chieftain's body.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth Sidebyside-breaking-bad

Mediterran Rhapsody.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191127-001025

I cut some necks (thanks Denecknator) and tried them on the body. Just a loincloth and some place holder necklaces. His outfit will get very rich, royal and fancy and don't you worry about those seams. And about the hair, long black manes with a little grey and maybe badass beards.

I also gave every type of character some keywords I associate with.

"The Good King"

Heroic
Fair
Honor
Democrat
Boring
Wisdom
Pride
Faith
Diplomatic

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191127-004642

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191127-004714

"The War Chief"

Charisma
Strength
Efficient
Brute
Practical
Realist
Machismo
Dry Humour
Family Man

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191127-003823

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191127-003847

"The Dictator"

Intelligence
Cunning
Foresight
Backstabbing
Progress
Reformer
Unstable/Compensating
Patriarch

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191127-004612

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191127-003737

I think I have a tendency. Opinions?

Ovy

Ovy
Placeholder!

Ovy

Ovy
Also a Placeholder.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I can’t handle Walter White with moobs... just.... ahhhh, my eyes! it burns, preciouss! Razz

The other two are much more suited to it, imo. I’m trying to picture them both with longer hair/beards, etc, and maybe the Brando edges all them out. It really depends on the features you prefer and what you’re going for, though.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I like where this is going, and you are welcome. Go forth and slice off some necks, my son! Smile

Isn't Russell Crowe Australian or Kiwi?

For that body you need a head with heft. To my eyes, neither this Russell head, nor the Bryan Cranston one "go" with that body -- they just don't seem to belong to it. I think the Marlon Brando head fits best of the three, and certainly makes sense (age-wise) for the man who usurped Z's grandfather. So I think Marlon's the winner for this role, but it is your character and your world...
By the way, nice choice of heads, I got them too (except Bryan).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Brando, for sure.

And, yes. Crowe is from New Zealand.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth C8485110

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:I can’t handle Walter White with moobs... just....  ahhhh, my eyes!  it burns, preciouss! Razz

The other two are much more suited to it, imo. I’m trying to picture them both with longer hair/beards, etc, and maybe the  Brando edges all them out. It really depends on the features you prefer and what you’re going for, though.

Haha he is stunning, right? Razz Too bad I don't have an Anakin headsculpt.

And yes, Brando.

GubernatorFan wrote:I like where this is going, and you are welcome. Go forth and slice off some necks, my son! Smile

Isn't Russell Crowe Australian or Kiwi?

For that body you need a head with heft. To my eyes, neither this Russell head, nor the Bryan Cranston one "go" with that body -- they just don't seem to belong to it. I think the Marlon Brando head fits best of the three, and certainly makes sense (age-wise) for the man who usurped Z's grandfather. So I think Marlon's the winner for this role, but it is your character and your world...
By the way, nice choice of heads, I got them too (except Bryan).
Hacking and wacking and smacking!  Laughing

Ah, yes, New Zealand. I thought every actor from there was in Lord of the Rings. After a short Google search I found out Crowe turned down the role of Aragorn.

Thanks, Marlon 2. With the heft.

Stryker2011 wrote:Brando, for sure.

And, yes. Crowe is from New Zealand.

And Marlon 3, Thanks.
Well, he was my favourite too, he was even the first one I ordered and only then I found the other two. But they will be of use some day.

It was this Marlon head that created a picture in my head reminding me of some long haired fantasy king sitting on a throne, but I couldn't quite place him. Now I think I know what my subconscious was trying to tell me:

That Jarl from Vikings. The Big Chief will be less depressed and hopeless for sure. And more beard. But similar hairstyle.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth D3ca7946306533f7fcb08aae8673a2dd

I am thinking about placing the hair directly onto the sculpted hair, like in this Joker video. (Rooting starts around 1:50)

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Wow, very impressive head paint and hairing (I'm making this a word), thanks for the video link.

The Jarl from Vikings was a great character. But his heft was in the attitude and clothes, not so much the physical size and girth.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Man, what I wouldn’t give to have Gabriel Byrne and the rest of the crew from The Usual Suspects...

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
All I can say is, you'd better not do that to my Ani, lol. Razz

And thank Eru that Crowe turned down that role.... he would have been completely wrong for it. Viggo was perfection. I love you

chrisinbama

chrisinbama
Hey that's the exact video I was talking about in this other thread about gluing hair on. I love this video and have watched it a million times. I change the settings to the slowest speed so I can actually tell what's going on. Mine still don't turn out like his... But I'll keep trying!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I think that godfather fits the most with what you've written. Crowe I feel would be the front line king, the one that has no fear and leads his men from the front, the castle is just a place to sleep. Walter seems to me the sort of king that is feared but respected, he's the one that can make people disappear, the one that whose hand would not shake when it came to punishing someone, just my opinion of course😁, I shall wait how the Big Chief turns out.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth 1f60e

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:Wow, very impressive head paint and hairing (I'm making this a word), thanks for the video link.

The Jarl from Vikings was a great character. But his heft was in the attitude and clothes, not so much the physical size and girth.
Welcome. And ye he was great, one of those more human antagonists.

Stryker2011 wrote:Man, what I wouldn’t give to have Gabriel Byrne and the rest of the crew from The Usual Suspects...
If YOU really want it, it's possible. Very Happy But I guess Gabriel Byrne has to do some Marvel or Star Wars film to get an industrial head sculpt...

skywalkersaga wrote:All I can say is, you'd better not do that to my Ani, lol. Razz

And thank Eru that Crowe turned down that role.... he would have been completely wrong for it. Viggo was perfection. I love you
Don't you worry, only blue bug tattoos. And Crowe turned down the role because he felt that Peter Jackson had other visions. True Gentleman. (source: that one random article that appeared first on Google)

chrisinbama wrote:Hey that's the exact video I was talking about in this other thread about gluing hair on. I love this video and have watched it a million times. I change the settings to the slowest speed so I can actually tell what's going on. Mine still don't turn out like his... But I'll keep trying!
Hah, yeah that's EXACTLY what I did, three times in a row at 0.25x speed, always focusing on another detail! And keep on the hairing!

Theboo-bomb wrote:I think that godfather fits the most with what you've written. Crowe I feel would be the front line king, the one that has no fear and leads his men  from the front, the castle is just a place to sleep. Walter seems to me the sort of king that is feared but respected, he's the one that can make people disappear, the one that whose hand would not shake when it came to punishing someone, just my opinion of course😁, I shall wait how the Big Chief turns out.
Ha I like that you feel similar. Crowe would be a great leader, but maybe a bit too uninteresting/not enough fun. Maybe he was the grandfather that was replaced by Marlon. And Walter, Mad Dictator of the Mediterran Empire, let's be glad we didn't take that route!

Started some Marlo rooting. Glued directly onto the moulded hair, as the style will be similar but longer and the head needs every kind of volume increase it can get.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191129-212642

I used the black dyed hair that was next to the original grey hair patch, where it blended a little and is a bit greyish, not that deep perfect pitch black. That's reserved for his Firstborn.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191129-212658

Not sure yet about the hairline there, one last row of hair has to be glued. And flaking removed.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191129-212948

Experimental placeholder cloth to cover joints.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191129-212835

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191129-212852

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That looks awesome! You are becoming hair rooting expert.

And re: the LotR films... in that aspect, I gotta agree with Russell Crowe, in that I had a lot of issues with PJ's interpretation of the story at times. That said, I'm still glad that it was Viggo as Aragorn. Razz

chrisinbama

chrisinbama
That "fatter" body is very interesting. I have to scroll back and see what info was written about it. I know it was mentioned.
Those photos of the half-haired head look very much like mine! I keep having problems with the glue glopping up and making big glue lumps on the head, messing up the hair. I don't know why I can't get it to do right.

chrisinbama

chrisinbama
Ha! That description... Fat hands, fat foot.
Also it is sold out.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Fantastic job on Marlon’s head. Looks awesome.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It looks great to me; in fact, I'd consider it complete as far as the head is concerned.

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:That looks awesome! You are becoming hair rooting expert.

And re: the LotR films... in that aspect, I gotta agree with Russell Crowe, in that I had a lot of issues with PJ's interpretation of the story at times. That said, I'm still glad that it was Viggo as Aragorn. Razz
Ha ha, thanks, it's my fourth rooted head so I must make some learning progress. Being an 'expert' now means getting better results while being less pleased with those results I guess...;D
The 'just try it it's not that hard and very straightforward' attitude by our Gubernator really helped.
I Keep Hairing.

And re: LotR, I am just one of those 'only watched the films' plebs, so I can't argue about that. But Viggo took his sword everywhere, so that's cool.

chrisinbama wrote:That "fatter" body is very interesting. I have to scroll back and see what info was written about it. I know it was mentioned.
Those photos of the half-haired head look very much like mine! I keep having problems with the glue glopping up and making big glue lumps on the head, messing up the hair. I don't know why I can't get it to do right.
Yeah, that flaking glue. I think it's because we use too much of it, and when pressing the hair strands on the sculpt, it's oozing up or something. Acrylics really helped, for black hair at least.

And that body is quite cool, yes. There is a version with a suit and a head, some MMA guy with head and the headless unclothed one, AT018.

Stryker2011 wrote:Fantastic job on Marlon’s head. Looks awesome.
Thanks!

GubernatorFan wrote:It looks great to me; in fact, I'd consider it complete as far as the head is concerned.
Thanks a lot! Well, the photos I took were just too good, like those promotional images on eBay. Hair and sculpt did not blend that we'll in real....

But now I added the last hairlines on the...hairline.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191130-163309

For some reason that plays in my head when working on that figure:

The visible joints on the knee are quite big, maybe trousers are a good idea? Still experimenting.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191130-161411

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191130-161447

Buona Sera Senorita.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191130-153213

And with wet hair, after diving in his personal bathtub (formerly known as the Mediterranean Sea)

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191130-163112

His family is known for beautiful black  hair I guess. His Firstborn will have them too.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191130-162951

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth PSX-20191130-163027

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
LOL I'm loving it. Yes, the pants are a good idea... unless you're Alexander the Great. Smile And the hair is working out beautifully. He can be wet. Or sweaty. Or maybe both. Either option seems to work...

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice options on the outfit and hair. I agree, wet, or dry, looks good.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Big Chief Brando looks great!, tho I wouldn't want to see him walking towards me. 😂

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth 1f60e

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I keep meaning to ask — what kind of glue(s) are you using on the hair?

Ephiane

Ephiane
Fantastic Job at that Character. You masterd the Hair Job in a real short time

Ovy

Ovy
GubernatorFan wrote:LOL I'm loving it. Yes, the pants are a good idea... unless you're Alexander the Great. Smile And the hair is working out beautifully. He can be wet. Or sweaty. Or maybe both. Either option seems to work...
Thanks! And he may be great, but not Alexander. Very Happy

Stryker2011 wrote:Nice options on the outfit and hair. I agree, wet, or dry, looks good.
Thank you. I think it will be something between wet and dry.

Theboo-bomb wrote:Big Chief Brando looks great!, tho I wouldn't want to see him walking towards me. 😂
Thank you, and yes he's supposed to be menacing in his own charming way.

skywalkersaga wrote:I keep meaning to ask — what kind of glue(s) are you using on the hair?
I use that FabriTac glue because it was recommended somewhere. But it's a bit nasty. Normal crafting glue seems to work too. It can be easily removed when it comes in contact with the headsculpt in an area you don't want to be covered. This happens to me sometimes. I will never use superglue for rooting, that's something for the more brave like Shovelchop.

Ephiane wrote:Fantastic Job at that Character. You masterd the Hair Job in a real short time
Thanks, still a lot to learn but yes it gets easier every time.

I just messed around with faceapp, as I am thinking of rooting a beard. Free faceapp has only one standard beard:
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth Face-App-1576024577309

But the age-filter adds another beard (cool old):
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth Face-App-1576025917947

Old Bud Spencer?
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth Face-App-1576025771459

This one looks ready to appease some tyrants. Or try, at least.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth Face-App-1576025758427

Young Marlon:
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth Face-App-1576025795976-2

[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth Face-App-1576025846506

Maybe he will get this kind of beard...but less old then. Black with grey streaks maybe.
[01/02/20] The Mediterrans - Phase 2, The Big Chief - shark teeth Face-App-1576025831318

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum