OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part] 02/15/2020]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!
I've divided this in two, first part is how I'm doing here in PR, second part is about the wall, they've been highligted with the good ol' bold button.

What's been going on in Puerto Rico and how my family and I have been dealing with.

I would like to start by saying that this week hasn't been the most permisive when it comes to me spending time doing things, as some of you may know Jan 7 an earthquake hit the southern part of Puerto Rico, while I live in the north (Arecibo) it still shook my bed like if 7 little dwarves where on top of it jumping, after that there's been a few we have felt up here tho all of them are felt down south where the towns of Guanica, Guayanilla, Ponce, Peñuelas and Mayaguez have suffered the most, other towns such as Utuado have also reported some damages.  Power for us came last night after a 5.2 shake that jerked me off my seat and instantly led me to putting on my hardhat grabbing my backpack and getting all others up and ready to go.

While the situation hasn't been the best I've still spent some time doing stuff to keep the mind occupied with something else that isn't "Is it going to shake?", "Is my family in Utuado fine?" all those questions run around the mind and can break you down so spending some time coming up with stuff is a good way to relax and a good way to save data and electricity. Hopefully all of this will come to pass and we can return to a more normal state of life where we aren't tense or so alert that the mere pressure of the wind makes one jump off the seat.
Talking about the wall, techniques used and processes.

Why did I make this wall? The answer is simple I think, I've built smaller dioramas and bases before, mostly in the 1/32 scale range but also using plastic soldiers.  Back when I started to post photos I knew that the canvas cloth I use would get stale and fast, I could switch it for another color but to me that's a bit boring and too sterile looking. So after some inspiration doing a small house for christmas (a gift to my mother's christmas village) I decided to tackle this, I chose foam board as it is easy to work with, durable I have very easy access to.

Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  H5ArxNx
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  4ghQs9l

I don't have any photos of the early stages as I always forget to get those, I pealed the glossy cover on the ghostline foam core (22 x 28 inches) in order to get a nice rough surface, I then added created the supports out of a thinner piece of foam board which I reinforced the inside with pieces of cardboard then hotglued to the back. After that was done I went over it with some spackling which I applied with my hands since using a spatula would result in a smoother finish which I did not want. Once dried I remembered that the moisture in the spackling would warp the board so I had to reinforce the back with some hot glued large icepop sticks (no biggie), once that dried I applied some slightly watered down PVA glue (white glue) to hold the spackling in place so I could paint it more easily.
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  HVETr66
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  SeLbqLp
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  IrXL7wt
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  U7vJeoP

The windows are also made of the same thinner foam core, a coat of PVA mixed with black paint to help see any missed spots and then another coat of black and then silver, I haven't weathered them yet or added any special details like warning tapes or anything but I do plan on it. Each window has a magnet that allows it to be sticked anywhere in 9 different magnetic spots in the wall, this will allow me to move both windows and any other pieces around.

Well that's all for today, I was originally going to post this on Wednesday but due to the lack of electricity and all the stuff that was going on I didn't so instead I post it today on my usual figure friday/saturday. I hope to get back to posting figures once this is over, as always stay safe out there and try to have some fun.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  1f60e

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I hope you and PitViper are staying safe over there, and that the worst is over. (Our Australian members are dealing with some horrible fires at the moment, as well). So hoping everyone is okay.

I like your wall, and the window design is really cool. Nice use of all those materials.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  C8485110

shazzdan

shazzdan
Nice job. Most of my previous dioramas were in smaller scales too. It still amazes me how much space I need for even a simple diorama in 1:6.

Stay safe.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Very creative use of materials! And wow, thanks for sharing with us in the midst of what sounds like a rather harrowing situation! :O 

All my best wishes to you, stay safe!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Glad you are safe (and apparently PitViper and shazz, too, knock on wood), and hope you stay that way.

Very nice backdrop wall, and love the 3D aspects of it and the results of all this hand spackling. I'm sure I'm not the only one glad you shared your technique.

Foamboard is the way to go with wall backdrops, although in my case I simply use it as a surface to which to attach printed out elements with tape or (more recently) magnets. I have done a little bit of 3D work, too, but on a more limited scale, like a Death Star control panel and a wall made from actual tiny bricks and insulation tape in lieu of mortar (but I got rid of it when I moved).

Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  Htdsgu13

Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  Brickw10

Ovy

Ovy
Yes, best wishes to you and your family and friends, sir.

I like the Diorama path you are taking, will make future photoshootings much more fun I am sure. The second window type looks good, very starwarsy. You can hear some John Williams Tattooine ambient music and background noises when looking at it.

The Christmas village sounds cool, I guess creativity runs in the family.

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
@Theboo-bomb. Nice project you got there, thanks for sharing and keep safe!

Wildfires in Australia, earthquake in Puerto Rico, and now our Taal Volcano (60 kilometers away) erupted this morning!
We're experiencing ash fall right now so better to stay indoors for a few days and get busy with bashes.

@Gub - What's that backdrop behind the Death Star gunner?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
rollotomasi wrote:Wildfires in Australia, earthquake in Puerto Rico, and now our Taal Volcano (60 kilometers away) erupted this morning!
We're experiencing ash fall right now so better to stay indoors for a few days and get busy with bashes.

Nice start to the year, eh? I hope you will be alright!

If you mean what is the backdrop in the actual movie, it is part of the control or support systems of the super laser control room. Around 1:58 (and others) in the clip below.

If you mean what I made it out of, it is black foamboard, shiny black drawer liner (for the smooth surface part to the left), those translucent small rectangular rubbery pieces that you place on a wall to keep a door from bumping and scrapint it, semi-spherical "rhinestone" pearls they sell at craft shops (I painted over them but they still don't look quite metallic enough), and staples. All painstakingly assembled to look movie accurate. But I think the "pearls" should have been on the inside, below the translucent rectangular prisms, and so probably just painted on...

PitViper

PitViper
My situation as far as the earthquake's concerned: My wife and I live in Mayaguez, basically in the center of the western coast of the island, and 30-35 miles NW of the epicenter of most quakes.  Although we were not in PR for the strongest of all the quakes (early morning of January 7) we have experienced all others since December, particularly the one yesterday morning (6.1 in the Richter scale).

Needless to say, anxiety levels have been very high.  It is hard to sleep, as the strongest quakes have occurred in the wee hours of the morning.  The smallest aftershock is enough to get us very antsy.  As far as damages, I  have seen photos and videos taken by coworkers of their homes and hometowns, roads, public buildings etc, and given what I've seen from municipalities along the southern PR coast, I must say we have been very lucky indeed.  Our building (I live in 5th-floor "penthouse") has been inspected twice since the 7th, which also happened to be my 57th birthday, and has been rendered structurally sound so far.  My figures have sustained several falls with the quakes, but no permanent damages to report.

My thoughts are with both our Aussie & Filipino members who are also experiencing afflicting situations.  I hope all stay safe.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yikes. Sounds like a scary situation, Angel.

Happy late Birthday, by the way; though I’m sure it was a bit stressful.

Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  C8485110

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Stryker2011 wrote:I hope you and PitViper are staying safe over there, and that the worst is over. (Our Australian members are dealing with some horrible fires at the moment, as well). So hoping everyone is okay.

I like your wall, and the window design is really cool. Nice use of all those materials.

Thank you, Styker. I'm hoping this will soon pass. I'm glad you liked the wall, it's fairly simple but it does the job.

shazzdan wrote:Nice job. Most of my previous dioramas were in smaller scales too. It still amazes me how much space I need for even a simple diorama in 1:6.

Stay safe.

Thanks, I originally was going to make it much bigger (around 40 inches wide and 30 high) but it soon dawned on me on how big that is and how much time I would have to spend on it alone. Maybe if I start collecting smaller scale star wars figures I can make a bigger one.

Thank you, we are fairly safe up here.

skywalkersaga wrote:Very creative use of materials! And wow, thanks for sharing with us in the midst of what sounds like a rather harrowing situation! :O 

All my best wishes to you, stay safe!

Thank you, it took me a while to figure out what to do, lots of screenshots from movies and games to get an idea of how it could look, a bit of creative liberty was taken since it's meant to be somewhat generic. Also staying safe so far.

GubernatorFan wrote:Glad you are safe (and apparently PitViper and shazz, too, knock on wood), and hope you stay that way.

Very nice backdrop wall, and love the 3D aspects of it and the results of all this hand spackling. I'm sure I'm not the only one glad you shared your technique.

Foamboard is the way to go with wall backdrops, although in my case I simply use it as a surface to which to attach printed out elements with tape or (more recently) magnets. I have done a little bit of 3D work, too, but on a more limited scale, like a Death Star control panel and a wall made from actual tiny bricks and insulation tape in lieu of mortar (but I got rid of it when I moved).

Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  Htdsgu13

Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  Brickw10

Thank you and I hope they too are safe along with their families. I was originally going to print out the back drops or rather have them printed at a shop downtown but I wanted to see if I still was capable of putting something like this together, I guess I can. I like those backdrops and I find using tape interesting, I might look into making a brick wall like that and holding it with insulation tape.

Ovy wrote:Yes, best wishes to you and your family and friends, sir.

I like the Diorama path you are taking, will make future photoshootings much more fun I am sure. The second window type looks good, very starwarsy. You can hear some John Williams Tattooine ambient music and background noises when looking at it.

The Christmas village sounds cool, I guess creativity runs in the family.

Thank you, I'm hoping it will be fun, I'm personally looking forward to being able to move stuff around with magnets though I still need to come up with the stuff, maybe some utility nooks and random techy bumps, I'll look at some stills from the movies and games to get some ideas. Creativity does run in my family but mostly on my mother's side, my father's side is diy side which I don't think I inherited much. 😶

rollotomasi wrote:@Theboo-bomb. Nice project you got there, thanks for sharing and keep safe!

Wildfires in Australia, earthquake in Puerto Rico, and now our Taal Volcano (60 kilometers away) erupted this morning!

Thank you, I hope you too are staying safe out there. And yes, in such situations it's best to stay indoors and come up with stuff, or at least I think so.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  1f60e

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
PitViper wrote:My situation as far as the earthquake's concerned: My wife and I live in Mayaguez, basically in the center of the western coast of the island, and 30-35 miles NW of the epicenter of most quakes.  Although we were not in PR for the strongest of all the quakes (early morning of January 7) we have experienced all others since December, particularly the one yesterday morning (6.1 in the Richter scale).

Needless to say, anxiety levels have been very high.  It is hard to sleep, as the strongest quakes have occurred in the wee hours of the morning.  The smallest aftershock is enough to get us very antsy.  As far as damages, I  have seen photos and videos taken by coworkers of their homes and hometowns, roads, public buildings etc, and given what I've seen from municipalities along the southern PR coast, I must say we have been very lucky indeed.  Our building (I live in 5th-floor "penthouse") has been inspected twice since the 7th, which also happened to be my 57th birthday, and has been rendered structurally sound so far.  My figures have sustained several falls with the quakes, but no permanent damages to report.

My thoughts are with both our Aussie & Filipino members who are also experiencing afflicting situations.  I hope all stay safe.

We both live high then, I live on a second floor and quite  close to the coastline, on Jan 7 when there was the tsunami watch you can guess our fear, specially since my grandmother lives on the first floor and our escape route is up a narrow two way road which is still technically not out of harms way. Tense moments but I'm sure incomparable to those you've lived thus far or those in the south. My other family lives in Utuado and our main fear is a collapse of the roads leading there or worse even that Dos Bocas breaks since my uncle also lives close to the river. Tense moments for all of us in Puerto Rico, Australia and the Phillipines, hopefully things will return to normal as soon as possible so we can all start to heal.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Early this morning I went to buy some bread at the local bakery, nothing like the fresh baked stuff. On my way there I decided to take a detour to the supermarket since it's close by just out of curiosity, walking down the beverages aisle I came across some crazy straws, six for 1 dollar and I thought I could use those for pipes since they come bent and they are made of some type of hard plastic.
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  HjqnC9Z
The second thing I came across was later today, some type of plastic netting which I plan on using as grating or interesting window designs, bought six sheets which I hope is more than enough.
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  Ju5JYmS

Once I put more stuff together I'll be updating this thread until I finish the rest of the elements for the wall.
As always stay safe out there and try to have some fun.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice finds. As for the mini bricks, they look great, but are messy because they are actual brick material. At the time I had trouble finding enough and eventually ran out of bricks (as you can see from my wall). Maybe you can find more now -- got them from eBay.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I’m so sorry you are both experiencing such a tense and fearful situation. My thoughts are with you!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice finds. As for the mini bricks, they look great, but are messy because they are actual brick material. At the time I had trouble finding enough and eventually ran out of bricks (as you can see from my wall). Maybe you can find more now -- got them from eBay.

I don't think I would buy actual mini bricks, actually I could buy a few for something... we shall see. Some time ago (a long time ago) I tried to make some bricks using grout, they sort of worked except they crumbled easily and no one wants to deal with dust, I still have a few around in a bag just as a reminder of something I could make at some point.

skywalkersaga wrote:I’m so sorry you are both experiencing such a tense and fearful situation. My thoughts are with you!

Thanks for your concern Skywalkersaga, we are dealing with it the best we can.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
So another tiny update to this little project, working on it has been a bit tricky, specially when it shakes you up but no biggie, so far we are fine.

Anyway I've finished the windows and applied some orange stripes to the windows for warning purposes (Not Space OSHA approved) and also made some vents, originally they where meant to be some windows with some bars but the plastic grating I used is too small so I turned them into vents or drains of some sort.
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  0bByfgA
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  M62CJyl
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  ApJC07G

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice work! I actually need a circular vent cap for the side of my house... do you think this would work? Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That turned out really great. Nice use of the spackle and paint. Bravo!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice work! I actually need a circular vent cap for the side of my house... do you think this would work? Smile

I have a big lid from a tub of ice cream, I'll see what I can do. Laughing
Stryker2011 wrote:That turned out really great. Nice use of the spackle and paint. Bravo!

Gotta use what one learns, besides these are cheap paints so If I mess up and have to repaint it all I will, after all what's 80 cents? 😎

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
New update on magnetized stuff, currently finished (or close to finish two) one is some sort of vent while the other some sort of intake (water, electrical, space gas) made out of foam and those twisty straws I showed some time ago.

Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  Jtpu62i
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  FcWuv5p

Both are made the same way as the wall, first a coat of PVA and black paint to coat it and stop the paint from soaking in (specially when using styrofoam), let dry then put the latex gloves on and dip into the spackling tub and apply it by hand, I did use some instruments for the one with the pipes as my fingers are neither flat nor thin enough to fit under them.

I plan on making some more bigger and thicker pipes along with some sort of controls or whatever made out of old electronic parts and probably lego, I also need to get started on the floor. Well that's all for now, hopefully next time I update this I have the floor done, or some pipes.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice to see you making more of these diorama elements. Depending on the desired size, you might be able to use straws and small diameter tubes for the pipes, too.

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
You have a talent for it! Man, I love foam board!
This reminds me of how cool a little “this and that” can make a diorama look.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice to see you making more of these diorama elements. Depending on the desired size, you might be able to use straws and small diameter tubes for the pipes, too.

I'm currently thinking on using the cardboard from paper rolls and the like, it is quite thin and flimsy but I think I can strengthen them up with some cardstock and glue. Though I might try using some old pvc pipe I have laying around to see how it looks.

Pontiacivan wrote:You have a talent for it! Man, I love foam board!
This reminds me of how cool a little “this and that” can make a diorama look.

Thanks! Using bits of this and that is what I'm doing,mostly lots of old foam that I have saved for future projects like this and cereal boxes for any other thinner details or covering seams and the like.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
It is time for another little update!

Gubernatorfan last time gave me an idea to use straws or tubes of a small diameter, while I had some small pvc pipe laying around I didn't feel like working with it so I started looking for what I could use, originally I was going to cut styrofoam circles and then cover them with some paper or something but that would have taken a LONG time to do, not to mention getting them as round as possible without a hot wire. I needed something that I could cut easily, wouldn't create a huge mess and that it where hard enough to properly work with it... pvc pipe wasn't on there, and styrofoam circles? no way... then as if by a miracle I found it.... cardboard rolls inside of aluminum foil, for whatever reason I had saved two and where laying along side some of my random bits of styrofoam, I also have some slightly larger diameter ones that I plan on using later on (perhaps not even on this specific build).

Picture time.
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  F2IRqur
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  B4C32QY
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  HyJ9inq
Foam board, magnets, spackling and random bits [Finished at last... at least the wall and floor part]  02/15/2020]  VS96sQO

As always it's a simple process, cut or just leave it as is, give it a layer of pva and water mixed with black paint (to see where it's missing some) let dry and then paint up, once that's dry start to weather it up, a bit of rust and some dry brushing and a couple of brown and black washes to sink into those harder to reach areas. There's only the awnings I want to make to give that desert sort of look and start the floor which right now it's just a blank piece of foam, hopefully those two will be the next updates and then I'll move to another backdrop unless I continue making stuff for this one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum