OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Empty Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:32 pm

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
I've been wanting to make Max and Juno a kitchen diorama for years, and finally got started on it last year, then had a total breakdown of motivation and gave up on it until a few weeks ago when the inspiration hit once again and I was able to finish it.

A post listing how I made the majority of it can be found here -https://lastalliancestudios.blogspot.com/2020/04/16th-scale-kitchen-tutorial.html]https://lastalliancestudios.blogspot.com/2020/04/16th-scale-kitchen-tutorial.html]https://lastalliancestudios.blogspot.com/2020/04/16th-scale-kitchen-tutorial.html-, so check that out if you want to know how I put the main parts together. Smile There's a lot more photos too, I had to clear my desk after I set everything up so I didn't manage to take as many photos as I'd originally intended.

Anyway, without further ado, I'll let the girls show off their latest room...

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743318313_cdcd43964f_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

When Max and Juno first moved in, the kitchen was a bit of a mess - old dated units, ugly tiles and textured (textured!) magnolia wallpaper that had resisted every effort by the previous owners to remove. It had potential however, so with time, lots of effort and a huge reservoir of patience, they scrimped and saved, called in favours with friends in the decorating business and got their own hands dirty peeling off wallpaper and sanding down units, until finally, it turned into something that felt like their own.

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49744183742_043a398bf8_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743304663_6a001a5273_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743846871_1ffbb86b73_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Dark teal and copper are the dominant colours, something which extends into the art on the walls and the plants scattered throughout the room. The overall aesthetic reflects their mutual love of vintage and retro designs, classic sci-fi and old school typography, all topped off with a nice dose of quirky bohemian style.

(at least that's how Juno would put it; Max says she just thought it looked cool)

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743379588_e4f73664f6_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

They may have gone a little overboard on the wall art, but when you love something, go big or go home!

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743917366_1038b707cb_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743329098_c80906b51e_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743870486_a84713c1ce_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743498188_9532f10a94_zMax and Juno’s new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49744262472_cd20a2cdda_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743373863_80dba1b276_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Breakfast is, as they say, the most important meal of the day, and its taken very seriously in this house. Skipping meals is practically unheard of, especially as Juno is such a good cook and Max practically inhales anything put in front of her.

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743384778_13a42b9def_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743880051_3fc140a860_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743497693_cfb5bd15f6_zMax and Juno’s new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Juno isn't a huge fan of coffee, but Max isn't a morning person whatsoever, and caffeine is an absolute requirement to start her day.

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743903826_aff779546d_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743408453_a1a083e624_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743964066_1a291e88c3_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49744267107_7d5f6c10b7_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743951606_e6de3bb7e4_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49744273007_f869baf1bc_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Due to the current Covid 19 lockdown, both are working from home. This isn't too difficult for Juno as she's an artist, so it's pretty much just life as usual, but Max is a photographer, and can't exactly go out on shoots while stuck at home, so she's resigned to sit in and edit previous work...after another coffee of course.

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49744214887_e8cf822268_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743159618_9534895564_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743266668_6d57e24f5d_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743829816_2a3cf52d4b_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743798876_79126937ca_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Juno's got a few things to work on, but her muse is a fickle one and doesn't always co-operate. Art block is unfortunately a thing, and it makes her job so much harder when she needs to be in the mood to paint but just can't focus on it.

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743721101_47169f0a82_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49744023682_1284aa83b6_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Sadly, at the end of the day, someone has to do the washing up! Today that duty falls to Juno, but Max gets the pleasure of putting the bins out and taking the dog out in the rain, so it all evens out nicely. Laughing

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743736826_c62102b15e_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49744090562_034c8cedf2_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743780371_d0ffab189d_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49744098137_88df4c83e1_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49744098137_88df4c83e1_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743211673_814aaf25a4_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743204968_214f0e59f0_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

After she's put the washing out, Juno will probably sink right back into painting as the monotony and dull as (literal) dishwater chores tend to motivate her right back into the fun stuff!

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49743789261_2167ce529c_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 49744107162_566b342704_zMax and Juno's new kitchen by Christine Sutcliffe, on Flickr

It's funny, in real life I absolutely loathe housework of every kind, yet somehow making my dolls do it is oddly theraputic! 😅😂

Anyway, that's it for now, but here's a brief video tour of the whole thing, complete with my rambling commentary! I've got a few other things I want to do tutorials on, but if anyone has any particular requests, let me know and I'll see what I can do!  Wink

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-XOM7mJo9A/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

2Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Empty Re: Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:22 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautiful, detailed, and well-rounded work, Christine, as always. It is still impressive to see the thought that has gone into everything and how it lends itself to the presentation story. Thanks for sharing it and the blog link with us and the world. Instructive and inspiring.

Diana

Diana
HOLY COW this is incredible!!! A true piece of art with all that attention to detail. Unbelievable. Well done.

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
WOW that's so very cool! Great work on your kitchen diorama! Very Happy

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Wow! Wow! Wow! So impressive, Christine. All the little working details, and the gathering of food items for all those years really paid off for this excellent diorama. I really liked all the making of pics, and the video was really cool, too (despite the “rambling” — though hearing a Scots accent is always fun). Thanks for sharing it all. Beautifully done. A stop-motion video in this environment would be awesome.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) C8485110

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's amazing, so many little details and those cups look great too. All the details are amazing.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) 1f60e

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Very believable miniature setting, and soooooo many items in one shot. Can only imagine how long it takes to set up everything, and how easily a 'tiny earthquake' could shake it all around.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Absolutely ASTOUNDING work, Christine! It took me an entire day to properly look through the photos and process the sheer level of detail, and I'm still in awe! Every single aspect of this is amazing, though I'm especially impressed by how you did the kitchen appliances -- both the modified Sindy ones and also the ones you made from scratch. Raising them up on platforms to give them extra height and make them look less tiny is an inspired idea, as well.

Another thing that stands out is the colour scheme -- I'm guessing some of the aesthetic is your own tastes at play, but I also thought that it has a very realistic effect. The scene is VERY colourful, and yet the colours are subdued and everything from the decor itself to the storage baskets and various eating utensils all feels like that you'd expect to find in a real 'old but refurbished' UK kitchen.

This entire piece of art has me completely entranced, but the thing that keeps sticking out is that fridge! The LED lights! The 'frost'! Ahhh, it's perfection. And I'm so happy and honoured that some of those little M&S food shop items I sent you made it in the dio!  I love you

Thanks for sharing, and also for sharing the 'making of' post.... your work is, as always, both beautiful and inspiring.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Inspiring!

10Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Empty Re: Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:01 pm

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:Absolutely ASTOUNDING work, Christine! It took me an entire day to properly look through the photos and process the sheer level of detail, and I'm still in awe! Every single aspect of this is amazing, though I'm especially impressed by how you did the kitchen appliances -- both the modified Sindy ones and also the ones you made from scratch. Raising them up on platforms to give them extra height and make them look less tiny is an inspired idea, as well.

Another thing that stands out is the colour scheme -- I'm guessing some of the aesthetic is your own tastes at play, but I also thought that it has a very realistic effect. The scene is VERY colourful, and yet the colours are subdued and everything from the decor itself to the storage baskets and various eating utensils all feels like that you'd expect to find in a real 'old but refurbished' UK kitchen.

This entire piece of art has me completely entranced, but the thing that keeps sticking out is that fridge! The LED lights! The 'frost'! Ahhh, it's perfection. And I'm so happy and honoured that some of those little M&S food shop items I sent you made it in the dio!  I love you

Thanks for sharing, and also for sharing the 'making of' post.... your work is, as always, both beautiful and inspiring.

Sky put that so well, really can't add that much more, took a while to process. I also likes the art block bit and the faucet animation on Instagram.

It is a beautiful, chaotic, smiling middle finger to self-actualized perfect minimalist households. xD Will come back to look at it again.

11Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Empty Re: Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:40 pm

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
Cheers guys! Very Happy There's still plenty I want to add that I keep forgetting about, like a cheese grater and oven gloves and....yeah, you get the idea. XD

A stop-motion video in this environment would be awesome.

Agreed! I did actually get started on one of Juno doing the washing up, complete with turning the taps on, water coming out etc, but I didn't realise until I'd finished shooting that my tripod had got knocked a few times, and I wasn't consistent in where I stood when I was taking each shot, so the lighting got totally messed up and I lost all motivation. Crying or Very sad At some point I'll revisit it, and I definitely plan on doing some kind of meal preparation animation! I've seen others on youtube do it and it's pretty good, but I reckon I could do better. Twisted Evil

It's funny you say that, I honestly don't know what my own aesthetic really is! I still live at home with my parents (because money XD) in the bedroom I've had my whole life, and which, other than new shelving and stuff, has remained pretty much unchanged colour scheme/decor wise since I was about 8. Embarassed Doing it up has always been one of those projects that we'll 'get round to' but it has been over twenty years now so I'm kind of resigned to it now, lol. The downside of that is that I've never had the opportunity to decorate my own space, so I'm kind of living through my dolls I think - they're certainly doing better than I am with regard to the housing market! Laughing

But yeah, I really wanted it to look lived in, and have a real mishmash of accessories in there, where they've accumulated bits and pieces from previous houses or boot sales or whatever. I always find it really offputting in other doll dioramas when everything looks perfect and brand new, and I suppose that's fine if you're going for a really high end kind of aesthetic that's just for photographs or whatever, but I want my stuff to look like a home, albeit one significantly tidier than my own, haha.

Also, funnily enough the colour scheme was almost accidental, at least where the posters were concerned! I knew from early on I wanted the dark teal/copper units as I thought they'd look nice with the orange of the bricks, then when I raided my bag of 'art' printed or cut out of magazines, all the ones I liked best just happened to be in those colours, it was really bizarre! I started running out by the time I got to the right hand side of the room, hence the slightly more random assortment.

I really can't thank you enough for all the minis - it's so infuriating that the fridge door shelves are too narrow to hold the milk, but it still fits inside the main part and it looks so good by itself I cant really complain! Definitely one of my favourite accessories! I ended up getting another one too, so I'm going to try to shrink down one of the labels from the milk we use as that one has an English flag on it which is a little out of place up here, lol.

It is a beautiful, chaotic, smiling middle finger to self-actualized perfect minimalist households.

Not gonna lie, I want to use that to describe everything I do, lmao!Laughing I just can't be doing with minimalism of any kind, it just baffles me. Like, where do you put all your stuff? It honestly weirds me out that other people don't have giant hoards of craft supplies and clutter.

My aunt is one of those people that barely has any ornaments and anything that doesn't need to be on display, isn't - she actually keeps her toaster in a cupboard and brings it out just to use it, then it goes back inside, leaving a perfectly toaster sized gap on the worktop! Rolling Eyes silent

12Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Empty Re: Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:43 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Lynkhart wrote:It honestly weirds me out that other people don't have giant hoards of craft supplies and clutter.

My aunt is one of those people that barely has any ornaments and anything that doesn't need to be on display, isn't - she actually keeps her toaster in a cupboard and brings it out just to use it, then it goes back inside, leaving a perfectly toaster sized gap on the worktop! Rolling Eyes silent

Then you'd love the house my wife and I have. Clutter everywhere.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) C8485110

13Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Empty Re: Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:12 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
The irony is, I'm a naturally messy person but I *hate* living in it! Laughing

14Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Empty Re: Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:43 pm

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Loads of detail and a pleasure to view multiple times!
Thanks for sharing!

15Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Empty Re: Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:58 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
So much eye candy! Just love this. Everything looks so cozy and lived in. Tons of detail, and all the wall art is perfect. You get such a sense of your characters from their environment. And your photos are always these perfectly realized slice-of-life moments. Beautiful.

16Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Empty Re: Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:09 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Wow! that truly is impressive! So much stuff, so much to look at!

17Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Empty Re: Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:44 am

davidd

davidd
This is truly an impressive achievement!

I appreciate the link to the "making of" blog! I have bookmarked your site for serious perusal as time allows!

Is the kitchen still standing today, nearly two years later?

18Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Empty Re: Max and Juno's new kitchen (diorama!) Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:25 am

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
davidd wrote:This is truly an impressive achievement!

I appreciate the link to the "making of" blog! I have bookmarked your site for serious perusal as time allows!

Is the kitchen still standing today, nearly two years later?

Ah, thank you! :3
Technically yes and no - I don’t have space for permanent dioramas so all mine are designed to be taken apart as temporary setups. It’s all packed up in a box until I next want it out!

I made a little time lapse last time showing it being assembled

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVanoypDXuR/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum