OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Empty Re: Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:42 pm

Tjolnir

don´t give up. i can´t tell you how many setbacks i had with my printer till this day, and still will encounter in the future.
and everytime i haven´t used it for some weeks i have to relearn most of the stuff all over again.

but in the end, holding your unique item in hands is priceless.
plus making your own headsculpt and painting it is beyond awesome, given the proper models, there´s no limit to your figures.

to this day there´s no baraka or shao khan in 1/6 scale but i got my version in my diorama.
this is why all the trouble, screaming shouting and stomping the floor is all worth it in the end.

oh, besides i just checked for a printable drill head in case i can´t come up with a proper handmade tip, around 20 hours with a drastically shortened hight ( still proper width ) and 35 % infill.
OR and thats a bit baffling, cut in 6 pieces so i don´t reach the "critical" edges of the printing bed, i´d even add up to over 30+ hours, go figure.

keep in mind that this time is to be taken x1.5 for never in all my prints did simplify give me an exact timeframe, though it is a damn good program when it comes to adding support columns and stuff.

go make that ideas happen =) i wonder what you´ll create

kind regards

27Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Empty Re: Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:05 am

Diana

Tjolnir wrote:don´t give up.
It's not a matter of giving up. It's a lack of viable ideas. Not that I lack ideas either, but when I think it through I end up with the realization that I really don't need or want *it* or I'd rather spend my time on other stuff.

I did design a head sculpt, cause that is something I actually want, and then the program crashed and I lost all the progress, only to remember that this had happened before... my own fault. I was in the tunnel and didn't save my progress every once in a while. But it took the wind out of my sails. (Also, my printer isn't high resolution enough for a decent head sculpt, but it would serve well for prototyping of course.)

I'll get back to that idea some time for sure. Smile

28Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Empty Re: Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:11 am

ZombieTestSubject

Very cool diorama. The scale, the positions, the details, all works so well.

29Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Empty Re: Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:14 pm

Tjolnir

thank you very much, glad you like it. right now my 3d printer is churning out some goodies by the hour. but i have to admit i gonna force myself to not skip the sewer part (i know tmnt without a sewer section would be strange) but one more brick wall and i'll eat my exacto knife Wink
the technodrome stuff is so much more appealing, but with the rat king and splinter on the horizon i gonna create them a proper backdrop too.

this will be a first for me as well in terms of diorama buildup, for i'll try to create a wooden frame to stack the different areas vertically and still remain easy to put together and disassemble when needed.

oh and i got the body of a transport module cut to size from an old drainage pipe. tracks are done and ready to apply, but that damn drill part is driving me nuts.
best regards

30Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Empty Re: Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:43 am

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
hi folks, been ages since i came around working on my tmnt diorama again.

one thing i learned is that i should have rather build it into an existing shelf rather than building a wooden frame supporting the weight of each stage.

most of the work went into stuff you dont even see. on the upside i could fit it to the height i had in mind for the sewer part, without making it look unnecessarily large.

what i couldn´t figure out yet was how to build a round / curved backdrop to make it really look like a sewer brick tunnel. was searching the local hardware store for some rectangular styrofoam to no avail.

anyways, hope you guys like it, the drainage was 3d printed, as for the pipes, well they´re simple pipes. so far i don´t plan on repainting it for they look the cartoonish look in my opinion right out of the box.Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Sew110
Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Sew210
Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Sew310

next will be the technodrome area below as soon as i build an even sturdier support frame beneath.
details will be added to the sewer as well, mostly stuff fitting splinter and the rat king theme.

cheers
tjolnir

31Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Empty Re: Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:49 am

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
This looks amazing!

32Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Empty Re: Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:01 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh wow, that is looking so great! I hadn't realised how extensive it is. I love how you did the cross-section of the street!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

33Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Empty Re: Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:23 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It looks great. I wonder if an architect might not be able to put your skills to good use.

34Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Empty Re: Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:27 pm

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
This looks amazing!

Oh wow, that is looking so great! I hadn't realised how extensive it is. I love how you did the cross-section of the street!

It looks great. I wonder if an architect might not be able to put your skills to good use.

thank you all for your kind words, i´m really flattered.

i guess as soon as an architect would discover how i hammered, nailed and sometimes simply bound stuff together with thin wire to keep them in place he´d hit the road in no time  Very Happy

what i personally find really relaxing about his hobby is what i´d call succesful failing.
even if i lack some skills to make it proper/aligned or even straight i cobble something together that, in the end, hopefully looks the part =)

one thing i came to love about this size is the possibility for larger scenes, spanning multiple buildings, streets or layers. something i ran out of space for my 1/6 collection quite some time ago and my ceilings are only just so high.

nowadays i have the luxury to build, much like a playset, what i never had as a child. or better said, a backdrop thats not looking like a toy and figures that now look in reality how you envisioned them in your fantasy as a child, playing with playmates figures.

in the far future i´m going to fill the gaps on the top floor, adding some buildings/walls to cover the horizon.
this will allow for a transport module to pop out a wall without teleporting through the now visible sewer part and leaving no trace/drill hole

again my thanks,

come next vacation i´ll build a technodrome scene below.
but before that, i have to remove the pasting table this and another diorama is placed on.

35Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 - Page 2 Empty Re: Neca TMNT diorama | update 02.04.21 Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:33 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
LOL. I meant an architect might have found you to be an excellent model builder! Smile

I was checking out some YouTube videos on creating "terrain" (really, more than that, architecture, ground, nature, etc) for Dungeons and Dragons (I think). The results are so amazing, I wish there was an easy way to do so in sixth scale, but that would be possible, at best, by essentially working from scratch (for example, the texture pattern rolling pins are far too small for sixth scale). I guess it helps that this diorama is smaller scale, but your custom work is excellent.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum