OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Henshin Cyborg, anyone?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Mon 15 Feb 2021 - 21:10

1/6Novice

So, my previous thread got me thinking about Cyborgs...And then I remembered that I have a sixth scale figure from Japan called 'Henshin Cyborg' (transformation cyborg).

The original HC from the 70's was based on GI Joe figures from back then, just with a clear exoskeleton and internal chromed parts.

I have one from 1998, but was thinking of buying an original from the 70's.

Does anyone know anything about the construction of the figures?

I.E. Could I use 70's joe parts to repair a broken 70's Henshin Cyborg?

I've looked on ebay, and googled them, but I can't find any info.

2Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Fri 19 Feb 2021 - 12:55

1/6Novice

No one here has any idea what I'm talking about, do they?

Crying or Very sad

3Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Fri 19 Feb 2021 - 13:33

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
1/6Novice wrote:No one here has any idea what I'm talking about, do they? Crying or Very sad

I certainly don't, but didn't want to be one of those annoying people who answer a question they cannot answer just to say "I don't know." Smile

4Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Fri 19 Feb 2021 - 14:18

1/6Novice

GubernatorFan wrote:
1/6Novice wrote:No one here has any idea what I'm talking about, do they?  Crying or Very sad

I certainly don't, but didn't want to be one of those annoying people who answer a question they cannot answer just to say "I don't know." Smile

Henshin Cyborg is a pivotal series in the evolution of Toys.  Serious Business! Laughing  

In the early 1970's (in Japan):

Hasbro's 1/6 GI Joes were sold by/imported by the company Takara. Then they came out with their own version, more suited to the Japanese market: Henshin Cyborg. A 12 inch tall clear figure, with chromed internal parts.

In 1974, Takara came out with a much smaller version & called it Microman.

Later in the 70's, American toymaker Mego released their own version of Microman, and dubbed it Micronauts.

In the late 70's, Takara released a new subset of Microman, called Microchange, which featured the first self contained transforming vehicles and figures.

Later still, Takara created Diaclone*. Diaclone and some of the Microchange figures were later unleashed on the world as Transformers, by Hasbro & Takara concurrently.

In the early 80's Hasbro copied Mego's success with smaller & cheaper figures like Micronauts** (and Kenner's with Star Wars), and made the 3'' 3/4  GI Joes.

(*Actually, it was Mego's Chips like that inspired the smaller Joes)

And Hasbro reintroduced the 12'' GI JOE later. leading to competing products in the 90's.

In the late 90's Takara revives Henshin Cyborg, to great acclaim in Japan.

Later, in the early 2000's, Takara created their CY GIRLS/CY COM line (?)

And the rest you probably know. (Here's where it gets a bit foggy for me)...

5Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Fri 19 Feb 2021 - 14:30

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
You are giving me too much credit -- I'm completely clueless about these, though I did look them up. I vaguely remember some toys (probably smaller scale and wound-up) with some details along the same lines (with mechanical elements -- functional or not -- under a clear cover or fill), but that's about it.

6Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Fri 19 Feb 2021 - 21:05

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
The name sounded familiar to me because I watched one video made by Toy-Polloi on youtube about these.

My knowledge about this are basically what you've wrote and the video.

As to the question, I guess that if they are actual copies of the GI Joe molds (without modifications) then other gi joe parts from the same era should work. I hope this helps you somehow. 😃

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Henshin Cyborg, anyone? 1f60e

7Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Sat 20 Feb 2021 - 5:26

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thank you for the toy history lesson, 1/6Novice! Smile

Apologies that I'm not able to help you out more. Boo-bomb's advice seems sound. Sometimes in this hobby you have to take a chance and purchase things without knowing for sure if they will work. You may have to buy a broken/damaged cyborg and have it in-hand next to a GI-Joe to check the sizes/dimensions/compatibility.

That said, if you do that and the GI Joe parts don't work, it still might not be a wasted purchase. As a final (?) resort, you could perhaps find a way to have the missing or damaged parts 3D printed to the correct size and shape, and then paint them to fit into the vintage figure.

Maybe there are some vintage toy-restorers out there who could offer further advice....

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

8Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Sat 20 Feb 2021 - 10:10

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the history lesson. Like many, I had never heard of this brand. I’m only vaguely familiar with Takara — mainly due to the one, or is it two, Cy Girl figures I own (and never actually opened).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Henshin Cyborg, anyone? C8485110

9Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Sat 20 Feb 2021 - 12:06

davidd

davidd
I remember the Micronauts. My brother had a few of them, the little ones.

About all I recall is that they were semi-transparent, which was cool, and they weren't very sturdy and tended to break easily, which wasn't so cool.

10Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Sat 20 Feb 2021 - 12:57

1/6Novice

I was asking about these because Good info is scarce on the web in English. I have a Henshin Cyborg from 1998, I was looking to buy some from the 70's. I've seen sixth scale GIJOES on ebay with clear limbs, I thought that maybe people on here collected Joes too and could give advice. Or even a Japanese
collector that might know more about the figures. I guess I was wrong?

GubernatorFan wrote:You are giving me too much credit -- I'm completely clueless about these, though I did look them up. I vaguely remember some toys (probably smaller scale and wound-up) with some details along the same lines (with mechanical elements -- functional or not -- under a clear cover or fill), but that's about it.
Thanks! But those sound like Tomy (another Japanese company), if they had wind-up motors...Then again,Could be MicroMan/Nauts?

Theboo-bomb wrote:The name sounded familiar to me because I watched one video made by Toy-Polloi on youtube about these.

My knowledge about this are basically what you've wrote and the video.

As to the question, I guess that if they are actual copies of the GI Joe molds (without modifications) then other gi joe parts from the same era should work. I hope this helps you somehow. 😃
Thanks! The thing is, my sixth scale knowledge passes right over 12" GIJOES...And I'm also looking for gripping hands for my 1998 Cyborg (The one that's boxed in that video!). 'He' has these open palm hands that are removable, and I don't know if Takara ever made replacement hands. Or if JOE hands could be swapped?

skywalkersaga wrote:Thank you for the toy history lesson, 1/6Novice! Smile

Apologies that I'm not able to help you out more. Boo-bomb's advice seems sound. Sometimes in this hobby you have to take a chance and purchase things without knowing for sure if they will work. You may have to buy a broken/damaged cyborg and have it in-hand next to a GI-Joe to check the sizes/dimensions/compatibility.

That said, if you do that and the GI Joe parts don't work, it still might not be a wasted purchase. As a final (?) resort, you could perhaps find a way to have the missing or damaged parts 3D printed to the correct size and shape, and then paint them to fit into the vintage figure.

Maybe there are some vintage toy-restorers out there who could offer further advice....
You and Stryker2011 are welcome! Another thing is, those from the 70's aren't cheap, and I'm not able financially to gamble like that. Not until the next stimulus check comes anyway! Isn't 3d printed plastic more brittle than 'regular' injection molded plastic?

Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks for the history lesson. Like many, I had never heard of this brand. I’m on,y vaguely familiar with Takara — mainly due to the one, or is it two, Cy Girl figures I own (and never actually opened).
Why is it that you haven't opened them? You should open them and compare them with TBL & JiaouDoll (if you have any) figures.
davidd wrote:I remember the Micronauts. My brother had a few of them, the little ones.

About all I recall is that they were semi-transparent, which was cool, and they weren't very sturdy and tended to break easily, which wasn't so cool.
I collect other action figures, in addition to my (small) sixth scale collection...Translucent plastic breaks more easily, and then there's the dreaded GPS...Gold Plastic Syndrome.

Gold, & some plastics with swirly patterns in them degrade faster than others...

Thanks for all your help!

11Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Sat 20 Feb 2021 - 15:57

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
1/6Novice -- That's fair enough regarding the expense, I completely understand. I remember even when I was attempting to collect a couple tiny Star Wars figures from the 70s, they were indeed very pricey.

Regarding the plastic from 3D printing being brittle... I guess that may be so, but it would depend what kind of part you're trying to find and/or create as to whether or not that would be a problem.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

12Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Sun 21 Feb 2021 - 1:41

shazzdan

shazzdan
I still have some Micronauts that I bought in the 1970s

13Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Tue 23 Feb 2021 - 19:17

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Older Gi Joe hands might be swappable it might take a bit of force and quite frankly you could end up breaking the joints, the best solution would be to dip the joint in hot water and keep an eye out for any deformation.

Later Gi Joes (that I know of) never had swapable hands unless it was part of some play feature such as those bodies produced for star wars figures, and even then there's only one hasbro body that I know of that had one hand that could be swapped and that was an anakin/darth vader set that shared the same 1980's kenner style body.

However much like older GI Joe you can pop out the hands by applying heat either really hot water or a hair dryer kept at a distance.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Henshin Cyborg, anyone? 1f60e

14Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Sat 27 Feb 2021 - 13:22

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Your main complicating factor in any repair or alteration will be to worry not only about what swaps may theoretically be feasible to do with the design, but the severe risk of irreparable damage with the brittle old materials.

3A actually replicated these recently, under the name String Divers, but in 1/12 rather than 1/6. As someone said the nostalgic reference point for most of us in North America is the 3 3/4" Microman version as we didn't see the 1/6 Henshin at all. But I believe the construction is the same, so looking at the recent 3A's or an older smaller Microman will tell you how they are built -- which is indeed pretty close articulation to a vintage GI Joe. One of the main functions that the Henshin Cyborg had was as the Asian version of Captain Action, insofar as they made it to wear masks and outfits for many Manga Anime characters etc. So you can also compare it to a Vintage Captain Action body, but that's pretty close to a vintage 12" Joe anyway.

I really want one of these myself particularly because it would be so cool for a Henshin Cyborg to interact with a 1000Toys Synthetic Man. What kills me is, I actually do own one, but I have never seen it: it's underneath a Great Mazinger outfit which might theoretically have been removable in the day, but after its aging, I doubt that it could be removed without much permanent damage. For years I've been on the fence whether to destroy the Mazinger to get a Henshin Cyborg out of it.

15Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Empty Re: Henshin Cyborg, anyone? Thu 25 Mar 2021 - 8:35

Echorec

I have a cyborg from the 70’s and the GI Joe hands and feet from that time fit. Mine still has a GI Joe foot on it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum