OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Empty Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Wed May 05, 2021 2:03 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Hi all, this time no diorama shenanigans just a new figure I bought last week from a malaysian store and 4 days later I had it in my hands.  Basketball  That is a new record for speed delivery from asia.

Anyway, I'm a fan of the movie "Last Samurai" and after some thoughts I finally got my hands on him.
Some of you may know this figure as its available for quiet some time and was thought after - it even got a second production run.

Well the armor is excellent, made of metal and looks very nice. The whole figure is very well done imo.

He is not the most flexible poser in this heavy armor, but it is okay for a few nice poses at least. Figure comes with 4 swords (normally just two, ut Poptoys added two higher quality swords for free) a flag and a wooden box. I did not put on his helmet yet.

Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys _rau0648

Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys _rau0643

Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys _rau0644

Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys _rau0642

Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys _rau0638

Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys _rau0646

Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys _rau0647

Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys _rau0640

Might not be the last figure from this movie. rabbit

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Beautiful photos! Always that gorgeous warm lighting that looks so inviting. So glad you are pleased with the figure. Are you going to get him a horse? Razz

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Looks cool, and Last Samurai is also a favorite movie of mine, whenever I find it on TV I'll watch it. The extra swords is a nice touch.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys 1f60e

4Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Empty Re: Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Wed May 05, 2021 10:27 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The figure looks great and I'm happy you had such a good buying experience. But despite "no fancy dioramas," you still managed to present it both beautifully and effectively.

Valiarde

Valiarde
skywalkersaga wrote:Beautiful photos! Always that gorgeous warm lighting that looks so inviting. So glad you are pleased with the figure. Are you going to get him a horse? Razz

Thank you sky. Not sure about the horse, I already need some horses for other characters I have planned and I think I have only limited space for horses. But never say never. Razz I think I need to sell some not so great horses first from my collection (the longer I'm in this hobby, the more of a horse expert I become) lol!

Theboo-bomb wrote:Looks cool, and Last Samurai is also a favorite movie of mine, whenever I find it on  TV I'll watch it.  The extra swords is a nice touch.

Yeah, bonus points to Poptoys here. And this movie is just cool even if a bif sad.

GubernatorFan wrote:The figure looks great and I'm happy you had such a good buying experience. But despite "no fancy dioramas," you still managed to present it both beautifully and effectively.

Thanks Gub, I don't often buy characters from movies, but for this one it was about time. The backdrop is just a canvas and some random flooring of mine. I thought it waas fitting for the beautiful scenery of the movie. I should visit Japan one day...

Ephiane

Ephiane
He is wonderful ! Thanks for showing. The metal armor is great, but the fine ornaments on the fabric are also amazing. A real masterpice of 1:6 Arts

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Great looking figure, and I like the photos. The background is very effective. The armor looks amazing. Now I need to rewatch that movie.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys C8485110

Diana

Diana
The lighting, the backdrop, that floor... Beautifuuuutiful photos! And magnificent figure, too!

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Great looking figure,

10Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Empty Re: Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 pm

Annalise

Annalise
Very nice presentation of a pretty cool figure. The armour looks great and the h/s looks accurate as well. Now I have to go dig out the DVD and watch it again.

11Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Empty Re: Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Mon May 10, 2021 3:24 am

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
That's a very nice figure and some nice pics of your new purchase! Although, as with all factory rooted hair, it's a bit poofy and thick and could stand a bit of thinning out and restyling, but I realize not everyone wants to do that kind of thing.

This second run looks like it is actually a V2 with updated/improved clothing and armor. I bought the first run knee pads loose for my Yae and they are slightly different from the ones on yours, which has a stitched border and looks like all cloth (mine was foam).

Did you know this movie was based on the Satsuma rebellion of 1877, and that the Ken Watanabe character was one of the most famous historical figures from that era, Saigo Takamori? And yes, that person figured prominently during the Boshin war (and in Yae no Sakura!) and was one of the architects of the new government as well as taking part in crushing Aizu. Saigo did not die in a glorious charge but ended up committing seppuku and having his head cut off by an underling to finish the ritual suicide, when all hope of victory was lost. He also did not wear traditional armor but favored western uniforms by this time (and his men were well equipped with rifles, unlike in the movie).

The Tom Cruise character is based mostly on various French Army officers (especially Jules Brunet) who were advisers to the Shogun (so part of the Boshin war proper) and who were supposed to leave for France once fighting broke out but chose to stay and fight side by side with their Shogunate allies, fighting at Toba Fushimi, Edo, and finally in Hokkaido with the Shogunate forces' last stand (after Aizu had already fallen). He was evacuated before the final collapse and went on to further service in the French army including during the Franco Prussian War, retiring a General decades later.

Despite some of the historical fudging, I too really like the movie and recently watched it again.

12Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Empty Re: Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Mon May 10, 2021 6:03 am

blackpool

blackpool
tankgirlfuzzy wrote:That's a very nice figure and some nice pics of your new purchase! Although, as with all factory rooted hair, it's a bit poofy and thick and could stand a bit of thinning out and restyling, but I realize not everyone wants to do that kind of thing.

This second run looks like it is actually a V2 with updated/improved clothing and armor. I bought the first run knee pads loose for my Yae and they are slightly different from the ones on yours, which has a stitched border and looks like all cloth (mine was foam).

Did you know this movie was based on the Satsuma rebellion of 1877, and that the Ken Watanabe character was one of the most famous historical figures from that era, Saigo Takamori? And yes, that person figured prominently during the Boshin war (and in Yae no Sakura!) and was one of the architects of the new government as well as taking part in crushing Aizu. Saigo did not die in a glorious charge but ended up committing seppuku and having his head cut off by an underling to finish the ritual suicide, when all hope of victory was lost. He also did not wear traditional armor but favored western uniforms by this time (and his men were well equipped with rifles, unlike in the movie).

The Tom Cruise character is based mostly on various French Army officers (especially Jules Brunet) who were advisers to the Shogun (so part of the Boshin war proper) and who were supposed to leave for France once fighting broke out but chose to stay and fight side by side with their Shogunate allies, fighting at Toba Fushimi, Edo, and finally in Hokkaido with the Shogunate forces' last stand (after Aizu had already fallen). He was evacuated before the final collapse and went on to further service in the French army including during the Franco Prussian War, retiring a General decades later.

Despite some of the historical fudging, I too really like the movie and recently watched it again.

Thanks a lot for that super interesting input, I had no idea about those french army advisers! I too like a lot that movie anyway, it's visually very good! Did anyone get to see the documentary titled "samurais" on Netflix? Its actually very good.

13Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Empty Re: Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Mon May 10, 2021 6:53 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Thank you all for the comments! Smile

tankgirlfuzzy wrote:That's a very nice figure and some nice pics of your new purchase! Although, as with all factory rooted hair, it's a bit poofy and thick and could stand a bit of thinning out and restyling, but I realize not everyone wants to do that kind of thing.

You are totally right the hair is not good on that figure. I will try to fix it a bit but not sure how good I'm in stuff like that. Smile But I have no fears lol

And thank you very much for the great background check and information!! Always excited to learn about stuff like that from real history. I'm not very well equipped in asian history so this was a good read. Always wondered what parts of the movie were closer to reality than others.

14Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Empty Re: Tom Cruise: Last Samurai from PopToys Mon May 10, 2021 10:05 am

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Glad you found it interesting! As you may or may not know, I'm deep into Meiji era Japanese history these days (see Yae thread), so always cool to see things that relate to my current interest.

About the hair, please check out my Eowyn and Aragorn threads over at OSW. I discuss pretty extensively how I cut and style rooted hair, and the Aragorn is somewhat similar to the Algren style, so it may help you.

Someday I'll repost that material over here, but it's going to be a lot of work and I only have so much hobby time!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum