OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Attention Breaking necks!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Attention Breaking necks! Empty Attention Breaking necks! Sat May 08, 2021 4:10 pm

venator5

venator5
I just leave one of my experiences with figures I own to prevent someone else suffering the same accident.

1 Year ago when I received this figure as usual I attempted to remove the head to have easier acces to the body during assembely and a horrific event happened.

The head is connected by the drum type connector, All plastic and the drum is connected to the body by a screw from inside the neck.

Now this "connection" is all depending on barelly 2mm of the screw being fitted to the drum. And the head is really, really tight.

So as you can guess the drum connector remained in the head once I pulled it off.

Repair only was possible once by buying a replacement body, "Lucky" to me the new body also fixed the faulty right knee, (When it arrived it somehow frozen in place.)

Removing the broken in drum connector was done by means of a screw being driven in and pulled out. (It sounds so much easier than it was actually, The head is really tight on the drum.)

At least all fixed now.

Attention Breaking necks! 20210111
Attention Breaking necks! 20210110

So have you ever encountered something like this issue?

Dn't pull of the head!

2Attention Breaking necks! Empty Re: Attention Breaking necks! Sat May 08, 2021 9:53 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thanks for the warning. Glad you were able to fix it.

3Attention Breaking necks! Empty Re: Attention Breaking necks! Sun May 09, 2021 4:08 am

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
Yes I had a problem with that ages ago, where the neck connector snapped off a figure of mine, it was a Chinese PLA fig, from Soldier Story, dont remember the exact fig it was from, but I simply was turning the head and suddenly the head fell off, it was supper strange because nothing else like that ever did happen to me before. I think I still have the body and head and wondering how to fix it.

4Attention Breaking necks! Empty Re: Attention Breaking necks! Thu May 13, 2021 5:10 am

Skippy

venator5 wrote:I just leave one of my experiences with figures I own to prevent someone else suffering the same accident.

1 Year ago when I received this figure as usual I attempted to remove the head to have easier acces to the body during assembely and a horrific event happened.

The head is connected by the drum type connector, All plastic and the drum is connected to the body by a screw from inside the neck.

Now this "connection" is all depending on barelly 2mm of the screw being fitted to the drum. And the head is really, really tight.

So as you can guess the drum connector remained in the head once I pulled it off.

Repair only was possible once by buying a replacement body, "Lucky" to me the new body also fixed the faulty right knee, (When it arrived it somehow frozen in place.)

Removing the broken in drum connector was done by means of a screw being driven in and pulled out. (It sounds so much easier than it was actually, The head is really tight on the drum.)

At least all fixed now.

Dn't pull of the head!

I got both the Vietnam War girls, but can't remember if I removed the heads during assembly.

When you say 'drum' do you mean the rubbery cup that sits inside the head?

I don't understand the reference to the 'screw', as the 'drum' normally plugs onto the ball joint of the peg that's seated into the body.

I do get worried sometimes when changing heads as the size of the ball joints and openings inside the heads aren't universal, and it requires heating the head with a hairdryer to put it on.

Once on though, its more difficult to remove as you don't have such easy access for the hair dryer. It's worse with sculpts with 'real' hair as the dryer can mess it up, and it doesn't seem advisable to dunk the whole head into hot water as a last resort.

5Attention Breaking necks! Empty Re: Attention Breaking necks! Thu May 13, 2021 5:38 am

venator5

venator5
Asta wrote:
venator5 wrote:I just leave one of my experiences with figures I own to prevent someone else suffering the same accident.

At least all fixed now.

Dn't pull of the head!

I got both the Vietnam War girls, but can't remember if I removed the heads during assembly.

When you say 'drum' do you mean the rubbery cup that sits inside the head?

I don't understand the reference to the 'screw', as the 'drum' normally plugs onto the ball joint of the peg that's seated into the body.

I do get worried sometimes when changing heads as the size of the ball joints and openings inside the heads aren't universal, and it requires heating the head with a hairdryer to put it on.

Once on though, its more difficult to remove as you don't have such easy access for the hair dryer. It's worse with sculpts with 'real' hair as the dryer can mess it up, and it doesn't seem advisable to dunk the whole head into hot water as a last resort.

Well I apologize if my language barrier did some hard times.

When I said drum I should say ball. So There is a plastic ball which is the joint to the head. This ball is fixated to the body from the side of the head. So if you are taking a look on the dody without the head you can see the head of the screw. I made some photos now with the wrecked body.

So this is what the top top of the body would look like withourt the head
Attention Breaking necks! 20210511
Attention Breaking necks! 20210510

6Attention Breaking necks! Empty Re: Attention Breaking necks! Thu May 13, 2021 5:41 am

venator5

venator5
So what happened is that the screw was very short and it was fallen out of the neck of the body.

The neck of the body from which the screw which holds the mount slipped out.
Attention Breaking necks! 20210513

The inner part of the ball mount (Note the big hole caused by the removal from the head)
Attention Breaking necks! 20210512

7Attention Breaking necks! Empty Re: Attention Breaking necks! Thu May 13, 2021 5:54 am

Skippy

venator5 wrote:Well I apologize if my language barrier did some hard times.

When I said drum I should say ball. So There is a plastic ball which is the joint to the head. This ball is fixated to the body from the side of the head. So if you are taking a look on the dody without the head you can see the head of the screw. I made some photos now with the wrecked body.

No need to apologise. Smile

Sometimes it's difficult to understand meaning even when the explainer is a native English speaker.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so thank you for posting the photos.

I can see now what you meant. That screw design makes for a pretty precarious connection. Wonder what benefit ACE saw in going that route rather than the double ended barbell joint?

8Attention Breaking necks! Empty Re: Attention Breaking necks! Thu May 13, 2021 8:15 am

venator5

venator5
Asta wrote:
venator5 wrote:Well I apologize if my language barrier did some hard times.

No need to apologise. Smile

Sometimes it's difficult to understand meaning even when the explainer is a native English speaker.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so thank you for posting the photos.

I can see now what you meant. That screw design makes for a pretty precarious connection. Wonder what benefit ACE saw in going that route rather than the double ended barbell joint?

I can only think of cost related benefits or maybe the neck joint is meant to be replaceable?

9Attention Breaking necks! Empty Re: Attention Breaking necks! Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:20 am

venator5

venator5
As for an interesting addition. My issue was not an unique one. In the webshop MACHINEGUN they list damaged bodies with the same issue

https://www.machinegun-figures.com/damaged-acelynn-body-p-38414

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum