OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Public Works, when fiction is real life.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

Been a while I reckon, but here's something that I've had on my done pile for a while, a figure based around the real world because sometimes, just sometimes what we often see in fiction just simply seems to seep into our world. Back in January the local electric company had it's distribution privatized, back then there where as usual some protests and what not and the fear of employees of PREPA of losing their benefits was real, there where some threats but none that where carried out, nevertheless the new company in charge of distribution, LUMA saw the need to have it's own security, like this photo which I originally saw Here.
Public Works, when fiction is real life.  PNeZ4qL
I don't have much information about where this was taken, but to me it's just... surreal, in all my life I have never seen someone, anyone with a rifle out on the streets, we are after all a concealed carry state/territory so seeing this corporate security guy with a rifle out in public just seemed like something straight out of one of those dystopic movies, books or video games, sometimes life really does imitate art. Now I'm not certain if they've kept doing this since I've not seen any more photos but still that image inspired me to make this figure because how can I not?
But hey, this isn't about LUMA  or PREPA, this is about fiction, and as such here's a little story and background to my own fiction.

Federal Public Works Authority

The F.P.W.A, known simply as the public works authority is the agency in charge of all things related to public works, be it maintenance, construction or upkeep. As such they are one of the largest government organizations and span the entirely of the UFS and it's autonomous regions. The PWA carries out all sorts of maintenance and upkeep, from cleaning the streets to fixing power distribution to blocking off roads whenever it's needed, most of the PWA is automated to some extent, the use of road upkeep drones that clean and fix damages is their more notable, other types of robots are also used for menial labor, heavy or dangerous tasks. However there's still plenty of human workers too, these often work in areas where the expense of running any sort of automation is too much, these workers known as agents carry out these labors the old fashioned way though with better tools than ever before. One of the primary task of these human agents is protection or defense of other workers in high crime areas, in recent years thieves have taken to robbing PWA workers of electronic components and devices that are often sold in the blackmarket due to their multipurpose nature as such the PWA requested federal permission to arm themselves with "less than lethal" weapons to be used in self defense so now it's not uncommon to see the workers in their bright orange clothes standing around, hand on the grip of their weapons and keeping an eye out for any trouble makers.
Public Works, when fiction is real life.  0rHYdL7
Public Works, when fiction is real life.  DBK5wqZ
Public Works, when fiction is real life.  1dbEHAc
Public Works, when fiction is real life.  ZL8kdVj
Public Works, when fiction is real life.  BSl4xOz
Public Works, when fiction is real life.  KsFsJKH
Public Works, when fiction is real life.  GYXalUO
Public Works, when fiction is real life.  5UhSnHD
Public Works, when fiction is real life.  2HeFEo0
Public Works, when fiction is real life.  KK9nqis

Well that's all for now, I sincerely I hope I don't get sued by luma for using them as inspiration Public Works, when fiction is real life.  1f606  . In any case, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and stay safe out there! Until next time when I'll most likely be outdone by real life's ability to copy fiction!

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Public Works, when fiction is real life.  1f60e

davidd

davidd
Theboo-bomb wrote:

Well that's all for now, I sincerely I hope I don't get sued by luma for using them as inspiration....

It appears that getting sued would be among the least of your worries! Looks like they take a more direct approach these days! Razz

Your brick and concrete work is excellent, as is the paint and weathering on the helmet and machine-pistol!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
As usual, I love the combination of realistic and inventive, and both the figure and your diorama items. And way to take inspiration from real life.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
This prompted me to read up on the transition from the PREPA to Luma. I can see why it’s been somewhat contentious, but openly brandishing semi-automatic weapons? It looks like he’s overseeing prisoners on a work release program, especially with his finger right over the trigger.

I love your presentations, not only in and of themselves, but for expanding our knowledge and understanding of Puerto Rico’s rich history and current events. I could see there being a FPWA some day. Having his weapon match his uniform was a brilliant idea. I also like the size and shape of it. You would probably have to be in pretty close proximity to know if it was a weapon or just a power tool.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Excellent work!

Ovy

Ovy
I totally get what you mean, sometimes reality becomes stranger than any fiction.

At least that guy inspired you for this bash. I like the weathered helmet a lot and that grey and orange color palette. I think he would also look great with big gloves and a dust mask.

Is there a real spring in the gun? And agree, looks like it has power tool camo.

On the last picutre, is this a seat from the company "seet"?

MX-V

MX-V
Really nice work.
As far as the Public Works guy with a gun. That pic is most likely South Florida.
Where I am, It's not as bad when I started, but I have had many guns pulled on me.
After awhile I realized, if a kid has a five thousand dollar UZI, it's most likely a copy, so don't react.
What a world we live in.
...and you wonder why I don't like people anymore...

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
davidd wrote:
Theboo-bomb wrote:

Well that's all for now, I sincerely I hope I don't get sued by luma for using them as inspiration....

It appears that getting sued would be among the least of your worries! Looks like they take a more direct approach these days! Razz

Your brick and concrete work is excellent, as is the paint and weathering on the helmet and machine-pistol!

Thanks Davidd, I don't think I'm in much trouble, they are too busy doing other things. I'm glad you liked the concrete work and the weathering, it was a rather simple project that I did in order to get the mind off the sand buggy for a while.

GubernatorFan wrote:As usual, I love the combination of realistic and inventive, and both the figure and your diorama items. And way to take inspiration from real life.

Thanks Gubernator, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Xavion2004 wrote:This prompted me to read up on the transition from the PREPA to Luma.  I can see why it’s been somewhat contentious, but openly brandishing semi-automatic weapons?  It looks like he’s overseeing prisoners on a work release program, especially with his finger right over the trigger.

I love your presentations, not only in and of themselves, but for expanding our knowledge and understanding of Puerto Rico’s rich history and current events.  I could see there being a FPWA some day.   Having his weapon match his uniform was a brilliant idea.  I also like the size and shape of it.  You would probably have to be in pretty close proximity to know if it was a weapon or just a power tool.

Thanks Xavion, it's an interesting image that's for certain. I don't think I've ever seen anything similar but it also appears it was a one time incident I don't think their PR department was too happy with the visuals.  I'm glad that you took the time to look into our history, I think there are a few interesting things about it though I might be biased.

The design was quite deliberate and choosing a version of the Sterling a rather simple looking smg  was something that I felt was necessary to the overall look of the figure, a bigger gun would look out of place I think. And as you said, its look could easily be mistaken for some power tool.

BAMComix wrote:Excellent work!
Thanks BAM!

Ovy wrote:I totally get what you mean, sometimes reality becomes stranger than any fiction.

At least that guy inspired you for this bash. I like the weathered helmet a lot and that grey and orange color palette. I think he would also look great with big gloves and a dust mask.

Is there a real spring in the gun? And agree, looks like it has power tool camo.

On the last picutre, is this a seat from the company "seet"?

Thanks Ovy. Reality is strange, one day you are happy with your power company and the next they are fielding armed men to keep the power lines in check.  Public Works, when fiction is real life.  1f606 I wanted to give him some nice gloves but at the time I had none, a dust mask would be nice but I have no clue how I could make one, I should try that. There's a real spring in the gun and I can move the handle back and forth HOWEVER, I avoid doing so because I'm afraid it could snap since the handle is a very thin piece of plastic.

As for the bench and cube, they are indeed for seating, made by SEET International Concrete Works, the best manufacturers of prefabricated easy to install concrete products!

MX-V wrote:Really nice work.
As far as the Public Works guy with a gun. That pic is most likely South Florida.
Where I am, It's not as bad when I started, but I have had many guns pulled on me.
After awhile I realized, if a kid has a five thousand dollar UZI, it's most likely a copy, so don't react.
What a world we live in.
...and you wonder why I don't like people anymore...

Thanks MX-V. While it might be similar that is in Puerto Rico, a one time event it seems as I think their PR department must have gone into meltdown after having such a guy wielding a gun just weeks after the acquisition.  Public Works, when fiction is real life.  1f606

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Public Works, when fiction is real life.  1f60e

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Great figure! He reminds me of the henchmen on some of the old Saturday movies. They were frequently armed and working construction ( I see submarines in my head, does that click with anyone?).
The orange motif is a favorite and I love his weapon and helmet.
Not to focus excessively on the inspiration photo, but the magazine selected speaks volumes. This is not someone expecting to fire a warning shot or stop one or two vandals. The gentleman looks ready for a fire fight!

AlKelAstra91

AlKelAstra91
Nice kitbash, and you know I appreciate the use of color, as well as how the diorama and props accentuate the figure itself. It's always a breath of fresh air to see stuff like this inspired by real-life current events, re-created in 1/6 scale; it's informative about events happening in other countries we don't always hear about, while also being unique with your own twist on the subject matter. Great custom figure and awesome diorama, the little details and light weathering make all the difference to sell the realism!

Chip

Great Dio and figure .

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Pontiacivan wrote:Great figure! He reminds me of the henchmen on  some of the old Saturday movies. They were frequently armed and working construction ( I see submarines in my head, does that click with anyone?).
The orange motif is a favorite and I love his weapon and helmet.
Not to focus excessively on the inspiration photo, but the magazine selected speaks volumes. This is not someone expecting to fire a warning shot or stop one or two vandals. The gentleman looks ready for a fire fight!

Thanks Pontiacivan, henchmen in jumpsuits is something I link with James Bond movies during Christmas time, it's a very simple look that I often try to replicate without much success. I added the orange details to link everything to him, specially those bring orange magazines, I thought it would be a cool addition.

AlKelAstra91 wrote:Nice kitbash, and you know I appreciate the use of color, as well as how the diorama and props accentuate the figure itself. It's always a breath of fresh air to see stuff like this inspired by real-life current events, re-created in 1/6 scale; it's informative about events happening in other countries we don't always hear about, while also being unique with your own twist on the subject matter. Great custom figure and awesome diorama, the little details and light weathering make all the difference to sell the realism!

Thanks AlkelAstra, I'm always glad when people enjoy the little work I sometimes put into these diorama pieces, makes me glad to dedicate some time to them.

Chip wrote:Great Dio and figure .

Thanks Chip!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum