OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories.

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down  Message [Page 21 of 25]

peter the painter

He is looking great Alex, excellent work on the costume to date, wouldn't expect any other from you.

Cheers,

Peter.

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Man, that’s looking great already.

shovelchop81

GubernatorFan wrote:He's really coming to life now.

Rogerbee wrote:He looks SO good!

CHEERS!

Allotropos wrote:Wow..Bifur is looking awesome !

Pontiacivan wrote:Once again, over the damn top! Five minutes inside your brain would probably be an awesome trip.
Your solutions to problems and the shear volume of creative ideas you present is astounding.
You will always be one of my favorite figure creators. A very satisfying post to read and re-read.

peter the painter wrote:He is looking great Alex, excellent work on the costume to date, wouldn't expect any other from you.

Cheers,

Peter.

Stryker2011 wrote:Man, that’s looking great already.

Thanks guys!
Ponti, my brain is no where you want to go! LOL! You'd be stealing everyone's trash for a start! Laughing
Having a rapid deceleration in build work getting done as I'm burnt out and need a break from LOTR related stuff but don't want to start another 1/6 project since I'd then be committed to that for ages and not get back to these guys for a while. So I'm compromising by doing a gun build I've put off for far too long that should only take a couple of weeks to do since I just ordered a nice new Bosch angle grinder to do the mods to make it a CO2 powered full blow back 30rnd pellet shooter with rifled barrel. You can see how huge it is in the pics, there's a 1/6 Dr. No for size reference; it's a full metal replica of a Barrett .50cal anti-material rifle used for taking out engine blocks, tank tracks, targets behind concrete walls etc.. at 1,500m.
As for Bifur, I've built his boots and started on his eye resculpt also resculpted his eyebrow to be more arched  as per the reference pic above, got to paint it next, and make the eyes green.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 TXBoujg

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 70QIXM2

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 AgcAiCk

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 WUAivuo

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 SPtLnHn

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 0unZ2Oi

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 7ymW5fB

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 TNrwtai

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 VTvbqVK

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 XXiSfUl

shovelchop81

Damn I still suck at doing eyes! Even in this case where it's only one... technically not human either..oh well I'll get there eventually. Made all the tusks out of milliput (the slug looking things LOL) and started to finish other weapons like Nori's kukri based knives and Balin's glaive etc..

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 NqLH1bP

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 RHQxfpX

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 AZA1ihS

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 VGVkNft

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm sure eyes in this scale are difficult for everyone (I was wondering what you were doing with them in the first place), so don't get dejected. You'll get them right...

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:I'm sure eyes in this scale are difficult for everyone (I was wondering what you were doing with them in the first place), so don't get dejected. You'll get them right...

Well it can be pretty disheartening to not be able to get the damn things right, 1/6 eyes have always been my nemesis and I thought I'd tried everything until now... just discovered my new secret weapon on 1/6 eyes (no it's not sunglasses as tempting as they can be! Laughing

This is actually Thorin on set!Wink

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 Px2myee

...But a simple small hole punch through painters' masking tape, can't believe I never thought of it before! It just occurred to me last night while in bed (when I get a lot of my ideas problem solving, helps me get to sleep and not get depressed). And it works! I also found painting the marker colour I wanted onto the brush tip then using that to apply it helped a lot. I still need to gloss they eyes.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 XPdF3PX

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 M0k2SnY

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 SGUakuP

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 6AvoOaV

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 JVStUae

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 P7xw39f

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 H9CLkZs

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 RWkBAjT

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 LievaqN

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 ZKeoVZG

Before:

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 NUk4mlj

After:

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 YXjlfsa

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Great idea, provided there is enough space. That's what I've begun to use to paint the nipples on TBLeague bodies when needed. lol

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Redid his eyebrows to match the reference pic a bit more, glossed the eyes (very reflective now so hates the flash!) and put his axe back in after a paint touch up, also touched up the braids and hair in general where the paint was a bit worn/thin. I'll be adding some 'real hair' later.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 OvpvGtn

looks a bit durpy here thanks to the flash lol, gives him character though! Wink

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 8m0VRMT

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 NuuJRE6

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 IZO9OJn

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 E6Vs5g6

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Great idea, provided there is enough space. That's what I've begun to use to paint the nipples on TBLeague bodies when needed. lol

LOL! Never had to do that so far...

peter the painter

Alex, that's not the expression I would necessarily associate with Bifur but, I like it.

Cheers,

Peter.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
peter the painter wrote:Alex, that's not the expression I would necessarily associate with Bifur but, I like it.

Cheers,

Peter.

The actor is quite facially expressive in the movie as he can't talk (well only bits of some ancient dialect of Dwarvish and not the common tongue) because of the axe wound affecting that part of his brain, this info is official canon. He gets one line in the extended Director's Cut version of the film when the axe is finally removed!

dadrab

dadrab
Damn...Go away for a few days and this guy builds an entire figure...

Excellent work, too, brah.

Carry on.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
dadrab wrote:Damn...Go away for a few days and this guy builds an entire figure...

Excellent work, too, brah.

Carry on.

Funny you should say that, I'm actually on a break, well not really a break but building a replica Barrett .50 as a change of pace since I was burnt out on the LOTR/Hobbit stuff, still doing the odd bit when the mood takes me like starting the weapons and repaint the head here and there.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 QVXMGSH

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 NeVmQH7

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 Uyp6o28

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
A Barrett 50?! Cool. Will it be fully functional?

I've been wanting one for years, but man! The cost is ridiculous (with scope around $13,000 - 15,000!!!) (Maybe if I wasn't spending all my spare money on 1/6 I could actually save up for one....)

He who dies with the most toys wins!

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 C8485110

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:A Barrett 50?! Cool. Will it be fully functional?

I've been wanting one for years, but man! The cost is ridiculous (with scope around $13,000 - 15,000!!!) (Maybe if I wasn't spending all my spare money on 1/6 I could actually save up for one....)

Well in American terms no, they banned .50cal rifles of any kind (they used to allow single shot versions but semi auto only in .22cal) as I guess they decided collectors or sports shooters didn't really need anti material rifles! There was only one range you could use them on in the whole of the UK, which is in Wales where I live funnily enough but it's a military range so you need serious connections to be able to use it! I'm converting a full metal airsoft AEG into a much higher powered (but legal) CO2 powered 35 round true semi auto pellet shooter. Done a fair bit of work so far but more to do including the reciprocating cocking handle/dust cover. Obviously it will be all black when finished Wink .

Replica Barrett build thread

dadrab

dadrab
I see you put the same kind of love into your weapons builds that you do into your custom figures.

Very nice.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
dadrab wrote:I see you put the same kind of love into your weapons builds that you do into your custom figures.

Very nice.

Thanks dadrab! Built quite a few custom pistols and rifles plus the odd SMG, all black and very modern and aggressive looking with my usual build technique of reusing thrown away items but mostly metal and industrial strength reinforced polymers for these rather than clothes or jewellery!Laughing

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Oh man, painting eyes is so tricky! Brilliant idea using the punch. I'd imagine its still hard to get them lined up right and even, especially since the tape obscures a lot while you're lining everything up? Another trick I figured out is to paint in your white first, then do the lines at the edges otf the iris and cornea with a pencil. It's really subtle, but I think the slight indent from the pencil lines makes it easier to get those hard edges. Or that might be in my head. Here's the 1st real success I've had with eyes, and to took me about 20 attempts to get it right.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 5770023152-img-1972_orig

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 5770023152-img-1971_orig

Also, freckles!

dadrab

dadrab
Fine job, Rev. Eyes tend to whip on my ass, too. The last ones I did, I went the pencil route followed by going over those lines with a fine-tipped Sharpie. That gave me a bit of a comfort zone on the outside of the iris to begin putting color inside...if that makes any sense.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
dadrab wrote:Fine job, Rev. Eyes tend to whip on my ass, too. The last ones I did, I went the pencil route followed by going over those lines with a fine-tipped Sharpie. That gave me a bit of a comfort zone on the outside of the iris to begin putting color inside...if that makes any sense.

The sharpie is a great idea! I'll definitely try that next time. Eyes are something I want to really get good at. Maybe a few hundred more tries and I'll have it.

http://reverendspooky.com

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Looking good!

Eyes have been a bane for me too. I usually do the base flesh, then the white of the eye and then I put blu tack over the eye till I'm ready to do the rest. I like to mark out the iris with a pencil, then, depending on colour, I either draw it in with a permanent art pen or use a pastel. Pastels are better as you can wipe them off if you go wrong. Doing it in pen can mean a strip and a repaint. I want to see if I can paint them when I start again.

You look to have done a good job on yours

CHEERS!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Eyes are pretty much the reason I don't paint HS anymore. (That, and my own eye-sight is getting so bad I need TWO magnifying glasses and my own bifocals just to see anything that small). Have you guys thought of using the decals that you can get off eBay for irises?

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 C8485110

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
RS: Great job on the eyes!! They look really professional to me, as in high end 1/6 figures. The pencil is a good idea to, surprised I never thought of that, all the other tricks mentioned by all of you above I've tried with varying degrees of success or failure... I actually thought about doing the edges of the whites with pencil to show the slight greyness or shadow of the sclera (orb) of the eye. Ah well I crack it one day! LOL. Done a bunch of braiding (that acrylic white hair is super slippery!) to give him some real hair beard and braids down the back since his beard is actually a bit longer with quite long braids too. Finished sculpting his boar spear/harpoon blade and crossguard with his machete to finish next.

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 Ztz5drO

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 S9kBlQH

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 V9sBLzy

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 OiKQ6EZ

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 IX5dVZM

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 GNruT9C

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 ZmW70NT

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 1rk0E2h

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 JHMozyu

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 XmGQhyk

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 DKP0hrM

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 GqLF0IA

My Custom 13 Dwarves & Bilbo From 'The Hobbit' Movie WIP. Bombur Weapons & Accessories. - Page 21 JSlRQKH

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Great work on the spear and braids; excellent progress.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Looking good!

I think, because eyes are often the last things on a head that you do, you can rush them because you're so eager to get the project finished. I've done that so many times. I've learned now to sit back and take my time. Do an iris, put it down, take a break, maybe pick it up the next day. Obviously if it's a commission you may not get that luxury, but, if it's your own work, take it at your own pace.

CHEERS!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2011 wrote:Great work on the spear and braids; excellent progress.

Cheers! Getting there!

Rogerbee wrote:Looking good!

I think, because eyes are often the last things on a head that you do, you can rush them because you're so eager to get the project finished. I've done that so many times. I've learned now to sit back and take my time. Do an iris, put it down, take a break, maybe pick it up the next day. Obviously if it's a commission you may not get that luxury, but, if it's your own work, take it at your own pace.

CHEERS!

LOL, Ido! And still muck it up! Embarassed

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
You'll get there. I don't think there's a single one of my painted projects that has been totally right from start to finish.

CHEERS!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Glad to see it continue toward completion. Every little detail has been thought of!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Rogerbee wrote:You'll get there. I don't think there's a single one of my painted projects that has been totally right from start to finish.

CHEERS!

To be fair to you, your kits rely mostly on paint unlike my builds so it would be pretty damn hard to get it all right!

GubernatorFan wrote:Glad to see it continue toward completion. Every little detail has been thought of!

Cheers! Done a lot more work on him the last few days, lets just say he's at the barber's right now... Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 21 of 25]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum