OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Angel combat kitbash

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Angel combat kitbash Empty Angel combat kitbash Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:59 pm

vikkitx

vikkitx
Angel combat kitbash Angels11

I've had these wings for years and years. They were too tall to use the old-style display stands that were the only options available back then. Hanging winged figures from the ceiling didn't look right. I finally realized I could mix-n-match bits of the clear supports that came with some of my Star Ace Harry Potter figures. The figures made them top-heavy, so I put some fender washers on the the stands to prevent them from toppling.

Angel combat kitbash Angels10

I'm trying to get the figures and accessories I already own out of storage bins and on display, using what I already have instead of buying new items or waiting to find the "perfect" head sculpt or outfit. She's a Triad figure, wearing a dress from one of the dolls for the film Prince of Egypt. He's a Power Team figure, wearing a long "leather" vest from an Andromeda figure and trousers that probably were part of a Ken outfit.

2Angel combat kitbash Empty Re: Angel combat kitbash Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:30 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
Very cool kitbash. It is a shame that you couldn't hang them from the ceiling. It would be a neat way to free up some display space.

3Angel combat kitbash Empty Re: Angel combat kitbash Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:50 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
What neat looking wings! I have never encountered those before, they look awesome! And great solution with the stands to raise them a bit higher for display. I like the figures' outfits as well.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4Angel combat kitbash Empty Re: Angel combat kitbash Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:41 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Very well done. Those wings are fantastic.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Angel combat kitbash C8485110

5Angel combat kitbash Empty Re: Angel combat kitbash Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:05 am

vikkitx

vikkitx
shazzdan wrote:Very cool kitbash. It is a shame that you couldn't hang them from the ceiling. It would be a neat way to free up some display space.

Agreed - I would love more display space! I tried fishing line, but the figures spun slowly in circles like they were in permanent tail spins. I tried wire, but it looked fugly and stuck out like a sore thumb.

6Angel combat kitbash Empty Re: Angel combat kitbash Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:44 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nicely done, vikkitx. The poses are dynamic and the figures interact with each other. In principle, it would have been great to have them suspended, but practice may indeed make that too difficult. It occurs to me that at the very least, it would have required some sort of assembly of strings (rather than just one, like a Christmas ornament), holding them up at the correct angle, etc.

7Angel combat kitbash Empty Re: Angel combat kitbash Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:14 pm

vikkitx

vikkitx
The person who made these wings doesn't seem to be selling them or even making them any more, unfortunately. But here's a closer picture to show some of the detail they put into making these wings.

Angel combat kitbash 20211210

These aren't just a single layer like in some of the DIY tutorials I found online when I was trying to remember and find the seller again. Each wing is something like four layers of craft foam (like you find at Hobby Lobby or maybe even WalMart) cut into progressively smaller and slightly different shapes then glued together to create a nice 3D wing with actual depth. The long feathers on the edge of the wing are the outer edge of each of the different layers.

The layer at the top of each wing covers wire that can be bent to pose each wing.

Each layer has lines drawn or painted on. I guess maybe she used an airbrush? Or maybe pastels or something that could be smudged to soften any hard lines to create "shadows" to add to the 3D effect?

To hold the wings in position, there are clear elastic bands to go over a figure's arms and also a wire loop you can fit inside a figure's clothing. The elastic bands snapped due to age, so I replaced them with clear elastic hair ties.

Both figures are barefoot because the Roman sandals I wanted to put on them were ginormous. Maybe they were made to fit those old GI Joe flipper feet?

GubernatorFan wrote: The poses are dynamic and the figures interact with each other. In principle, it would have been great to have them suspended, but practice may indeed make that too difficult. It occurs to me that at the very least, it would have required some sort of assembly of strings (rather than just one, like a Christmas ornament), holding them up at the correct angle, etc.
Yeah, I tried multiple clear fishing lines to anchor the figures better. They limited how I could re-pose the figures, so I set aside that idea. I'm trying to pose my figures better, and to change my displays periodically, so I really appreciated your comment about the dynamic pose and figure interaction.

Also, to me it looked like the figures were caught in a spider web - which could be a cool display idea too! Maybe with a fairy caught in the web, and one of the Shelob or Aragog toys posed slightly above the fairy like it's getting ready to wrap up its prey. Hmm....

8Angel combat kitbash Empty Re: Angel combat kitbash Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:00 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
The wings are very impressively done. Good luck with your quest. And aren't angels actually expected to be barefoot anyway?

9Angel combat kitbash Empty Re: Angel combat kitbash Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:24 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Nice setup, their mid air combat is quite well choreographed, those wings are very nicely done too.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Angel combat kitbash 1f60e

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum