OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. Empty Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:58 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
As the design of my starship bridge continues to evolve, so too does Keiko's captain's chair or acceleration couch.  It started off looking like this:

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. 51858805021_d6c5be9801_b020222_0015 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Okay, there's a lot you can't see here because of the shadows, but basically there were two things that stuck me:

1. Both the console and chair seemed a bit low with the figures legs going far beyond the end of the console and:

2.  There was no support for the legs or lower parts of the thighs.

Another thing that struck me is that as I'm not working on a Hollywood sound stage with lots of room for a camera to move around, the placement of a large control console to the figures's front would severely limit the angles from which I could photograph the figure. Hence a re-design was necessary, eliminating the console and putting most of the pilot's controls into the armrests, as with Thunderbird 1. Redesigning the chair (Making things up as I went along) is what I mostly spent my afternoon and early evening doing. Here we see what the redesign looks like without cushions:  Note:  It was always my intention to have cushions in the first place.

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. 51878425951_225b4f1a2c_bWork in progress by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. 51878425916_b159f1ba5a_bWork in progress by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

And now with some foam board cut outs that will soon be covered with faux leather to simulate cushions,

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. 51878415766_b3a0a6bfa9_bA work in progress by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. 51878729799_c1d12575a9_bA work in progress by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. 51878415786_fe30489df7_bA work in progress by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

On should notice that the back of the chair has a section cut out specifically to allow the figure to be seated with both the PLISS and it's space consuming oxygen hose.  I'm not sure if I'll pad the area around the cut-out at this point. We'll have to wait and see. I have not yet settled on a design for the armrests yet, a minor, but solvable problem being the size of the pistol holster on the figure's hip getting in the way of structure.  Put in other words, I had failed to take this into account and the (sort of) planning stage.  

I need more sheet plastic to do the armrests, and as the hobby stores (what's left of them at any rate) are closed tomorrow, that will have to wait until next week whereas my next foray will be to buy some faux leather for the cushions tomorrow, currently on sale at the local fabric store.

For those of you interested in the materials, this chair is mainly built using .030 and .040 sheet plastic, with the cushions being cut from 1/2" foam board.  The base was made by gluing the lid from a jar of instant coffee (Nescafé, bottom) to a small plastic salsa container for potato chips. They were spray painted with Tamiya Neutral Grey (USAF) while the chair itself was sprayed with Tamiya light gun metal.

More to follow later.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice work on the retro futuristic chair and the inventive use of materials.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Great work so Gary! I really like how you made the cut out for the back pack!

davidd

davidd
I enjoy following the almost stream of consciousness flow of the make it up as you go design process.

I can especially relate to "in other words, I had failed to take this into account at the (sort of) planning stage."

Looks good so far!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks good. I like the cutout section idea.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. C8485110

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Very cool and original custom design!  It’s coming along great!

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. 51878915202_407da4d02c_bA work in progress by Gary Menten, on Flickr

Got work on the right armrest done today.

valentin

valentin
Nice arm rest!

Looks like you might be considering control panels or joysticks on them.

Allotropos

Allotropos
that looks sweet !
Awesome scratchbuilding skills there !

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's a cool looking space couch.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. 1f60e

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Coming along nicely, Gary.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. C8485110

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
I got a bit more work done on my command / acceleration couch for the starship Inside Straight. The first image shows the joystick I built for the right armrest, which the the control that fires the ship's maneuvering thrusters so that it takes the correct attitude. The joystick was created using brass wire and milliputt epoxy putty.

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. 51896492168_a46827ed04_b
Acceleration couch progress by
Gary Menten, on Flickr

By design, the left armrest is shorter than the right one as there will be a throttle right in front of it. The lever is built, the control box has not been.

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. 51896743334_5d818f9562_b
Gary Menten, on Flickr

[
url=https://flic.kr/p/2n4UCBQ]Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. 51896403166_15e9a60b38_b[/url]
Gary Menten, on Flickr

Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. 51896491888_1b52ec0155_b
Gary Menten, on Flickr

The final two images show what is to be the storage area under the left armrest. which will be for cold drinks; (soft drinks and beer.) The individual holders will be cut from brass or aluminum tubing sections of the right diameter. I'll probably go with aluminum as it is easier to cut. The Star Patrol believes in its comforts.

13Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. Empty Re: Acceleration Couch: A work in Progress. Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:09 am

davidd

davidd
The control stick, with its stairstepped base, looks really good.

The design of the entire chair is effective and efficient - adequate in size for a fully outfitted figure, but no larger than necessary.

The entire work table space is intriguing and engaging; a space to encourage and felicitate creativity.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Brilliant!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum