OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Small Starship Bridge: A Work in Progress

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
t may be cool to build an acceleration chair for a retro astronette character, but without a starship bridge to put in on, it seems rather pointless. This weekend. I finally started getting some work done on the bridge for the Hydran Federastion Scout "Inside Straight," though as the photos will tell, right now it looks more like the inside of a corrugated metal shed than it does a starship bridge. In fact, an argument could be made that it bears a bit of a resemblance to an oversized Anderson Shelter from WWII.

url=https://flic.kr/p/2n5WHkE]Small Starship Bridge:  A Work in Progress 51908125768_a9e8ed0be7_b[/url]The
Bridge: A Work In Progress by
Gary Menten, on Flickr

The basic construction makes heavy use of foam core, which is easy to cut and lightweight, though prone to warping, especially if you try to paint it. The time and budget to build this out of wood were simply not there. The deck is made from four 1/4" foam core sheets glued together, then topped with some 040 or 060 strip plastic. (I frankly forget which it is.) This was then spray painted with Tamiya light gun metal acrylic paint. This part was actually done a couple of weeks ago, but requires mention anyway. Normally, I would have used a thicker 1/2" or thicker board, but there just doesn't seem to be any available these days, Probably because of disruptions to the supply chain as a result of the pandemic.

The bulkheads were made of the same foam core, cut to size, then topped with a silver coloured corrugated cardboard sheet available in art supply stores. It actually comes in many colours. The idea here was to give the ship something of a grungy sci-fi look...it needs some weathering, though without the instrument panels that and consoles going up next, it does look more like a corrugated tin shed or Anderson Shelter at the moment than the bridge of a starship. More on that later

Small Starship Bridge:  A Work in Progress 51908354249_0c1cdb7409_b
The Bridge: A Work In Progress by
Gary Menten, on Flickr

An interesting thing about this corrugated cardboard is that the corrugations are on one side only and glued to a flat piece of cardboard on the other side. Therefore, if you want to affix things to it with a flush look, cutting out a backing for whatever object out of the same cardboard, then gluing the flat side to the object creates a grooved or corrugated surface on the other side, which then fits very neatly and aligns with the corrugations in the bulkhead, and voila! a flush mount is created.

Small Starship Bridge:  A Work in Progress 51908164143_1a72ec5e35_b
Bridge: A work In Progress by
Gary Menten, on Flickr

The backs of the bulkheads had cuts made in them, though not all the way through, so that i could bend them to the angles seen in the photos. This is purely for cosmetic effect, to give a cramped look.

The foam core sections were glued together using carpenter's glue and held in place by bamboo skewers which were cut flush with the other surface of the foam core.

Small Starship Bridge:  A Work in Progress 51907104072_6fe903fcd8_b
Bridge: A Work In Progress by
Gary Menten, on Flickr

As one can see from the photos, this will be a fairly cramped bridge once the other chairs and instruments are installed. It will fit two figures for sure, and possibly a third if I can swing it. More details will be posted as more work gets done.

davidd

davidd
Of course, the first thing that happened was, I got distracted reading about Anderson Shelters. It seems that such shelters from the war years are still occasionally being rediscovered by unsuspecting homeowners. How exciting would that be, to find an intact WWII bomb shelter in the back garden? Some people have all the luck!

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/hidden-air-raid-shelter-found-in-garden-207153/

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/couple-unearth-wartime-shelter-207685/

Other articles say many of the shelters have survived for use above-ground as garden sheds.

That out of the way - the Anderson-class Standardized Space Cruiser Command Deck is coming along nicely! That corrugated material is fine-looking stuff!

Compared to many 1/6 figure dioramas, this looks quite spacious. Perhaps you will want to add a third seat in order to create a more cramped appearance. Although as you note, once control panels and what-not are installed, the available floor space will disappear very quickly.

I'm impressed by the fit and finish of the joints and corners, both on the structure and on the command chair. I would be hesitant to show any of my project under such bright, clean lighting. My finishing skills are not nearly as good as yours. This is looking really nice, and really cool, so far.

If you wanted to get fancy, and boost your blood pressure in the process, you could try installing view ports (aka windows) in the walls along the seam where the roof meets the side bulkheads, passing through the angled section. The ports could be angled, or the ports could be set in tubes or frames that pass through the angled section. Just a thought, to kind of break up the "garden shed" appearance.

Even the floor looks good! Check out that reflective semi-gloss! High standards of cleanliness are maintained aboard this vessel!

Bamboo skewers (or toothpicks) to re-inforce the foamcore board joints should result in solid structural integrity.

This is looking fantastic, and is leading me to feel re-inspired about my own projects!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It looks very nice, Gary, and gives a definite and satisfying sense of volume. If it becomes too cramped in the end, you can re-label it cockpit.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Looking great so far!

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
That's a very cool start of a bridge diorama! Small Starship Bridge:  A Work in Progress 1f44d

Ovy

Ovy
I think it already fits the silverish retro vibe of the figure (she has a Captain Futureish haircut). It's fun to see what you and Dave do with those upgraded retro figures.

davidd wrote:Of course, the first thing that happened was, I got distracted reading about Anderson Shelters. It seems that such shelters from the war years are still occasionally being rediscovered by unsuspecting homeowners. How exciting would that be, to find an intact WWII bomb shelter in the back garden? Some people have all the luck!
Anderson class, nice idea. Very Happy
Btw, you have probably heard of those ~200.000 bunkers in Albania?

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I think it will look great once you finish the inside, even if right now it might look like a shelter as you said.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Small Starship Bridge:  A Work in Progress 1f60e

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I think it looks pretty cool. The walls don’t bother me much, despite, as you say, looking like a tin shed. I think once all the other stuff is added it’ll be fine. Have you thought about what type of “door” you’re going to add in the rear?

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Small Starship Bridge:  A Work in Progress C8485110

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Stryker2011 wrote:I think it looks pretty cool. The walls don’t bother me much, despite, as you say, looking like a tin shed. I think once all the other stuff is added it’ll be fine. Have you thought about what type of “door” you’re going to add in the rear?

two piece sliding type. Just trying to decide it it will have interlocking teeth or not. Probably not.

davidd

davidd
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:I think it looks pretty cool. The walls don’t bother me much, despite, as you say, looking like a tin shed. I think once all the other stuff is added it’ll be fine. Have you thought about what type of “door” you’re going to add in the rear?

two piece sliding type. Just trying to decide it it will have interlocking teeth or not.  Probably not.

Oh, c'mon, go with the interlocking teeth, Flash Gordon style:

Small Starship Bridge:  A Work in Progress Flash_gordon_door_small

(That pic makes me want to add rivets to all my sets, but I don't have the patience for it!)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum