OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Painting Blood on seamless bodies?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Painting Blood on seamless bodies? Empty Painting Blood on seamless bodies? Fri 18 Feb 2022 - 23:15

Propcollector98

Hello everyone I’m quite new at kit bashing and making custom 1/6 figures, I’m in the process of making a custom one with a jiaou doll body and I can’t find any info on what’s the best way to paint blood on these kind of bodies. Any help would be much appreciated 😄

2Painting Blood on seamless bodies? Empty Re: Painting Blood on seamless bodies? Sat 19 Feb 2022 - 13:40

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Propcollector98 wrote:Hello everyone I’m quite new at kit bashing and making custom 1/6 figures, I’m in the process of making a custom one with a jiaou doll body and I can’t find any info on what’s the best way to paint blood on these kind of bodies. Any help would be much appreciated 😄

Hi and welcome again. Jiaou and TBLeague bodies both have a seamless TPE skin/flesh, although it seems to differ a little bit. I haven't tried this on Jiaou, but on TBLeague bodies smaller details seem best painted on with Gundam real touch markers -- remember to remove the protective powder by gently washing and pat drying, also soaking up the extra marker ink with a q-tip without making a mess, give it some time to dry, then reapply-protective powder before handling. For more details, browse through the Painting Seamless Bodies thread.

For a non-permanent application, you can try using acrylic paint and a hairdryer to get it to cure on the spot you want. But it will crack and flake off if you bend, flex, or curve the surface; I can't guarantee it won't leave a little bit of a stain, although I don't expect it to.

3Painting Blood on seamless bodies? Empty Re: Painting Blood on seamless bodies? Sat 19 Feb 2022 - 14:13

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I've been wondering this myself, so thanks for asking, Propcollector98. (And welcome. Smile )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4Painting Blood on seamless bodies? Empty Re: Painting Blood on seamless bodies? Sat 19 Feb 2022 - 19:35

Allotropos

Allotropos
Propcollector98 wrote:Hello everyone I’m quite new at kit bashing and making custom 1/6 figures, I’m in the process of making a custom one with a jiaou doll body and I can’t find any info on what’s the best way to paint blood on these kind of bodies. Any help would be much appreciated 😄

I use Tamiya Colour X-27 Clear Red on all my bloody projects ('scuse the pun) - although for me it's more flicks and flings more so than paint to get that spatter and splatter effect.
When i do paint on my seamless, i will dip a toothpick into the colour and drag it downwards from the point of origin (like the below from a past project with a bit of paintbrush flicker onto the surface). I've not needed to seal it as I am careful with handling it after the paint dries.

Painting Blood on seamless bodies? Wk1RMja

Hope this helps.

Propcollector98

Thanks everyone for replying! And Allotropos so you use regular acrylic model paint for your seamless bodies? Have you had any problems with that on the long term? I ordered citadel blood paint for the hands and headsculpt but I’m split on whether I should use it as well for the seamless body or attempt to paint it with the caulk/oil paint method.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Propcollector, you mention a caulk/oil paint method -- this reminds me of the silicon glue and acrylics method or, better, silicon glue and silicon paint pigment method. That last is definitely an option, and something you can likely remove if you decide you want to undo it down the line. For that, get yourself some regular clear silicon glue (for example this), and I recommend the Silc Pig (silicon pigment -- here) sampler set -- just a few drops of pigment are enough to mix into the glue to color it completely, then apply as desired to the surface; it will have a little bit of volume (which may be a good thing). In theory, you can achieve something like that with acrylics mixed in, but this pigment works better. It will be reasonably permanent and you would be able to handle the figure without it cracking, flaking, smearing, or detaching, but if you really want to you can pinch it and peel it off. I can't promise there will be absolutely no stain left, but in my experience there was none. Before using the oil pastel to paint nipples, I used this; then I removed a bunch of these to do it the oil pastel way. I mention all this since reversibility is, at least some times, a pretty important aspect of a modification -- whether in general, or for the purposes of ensuring the right look during the initial work.

Painting Blood on seamless bodies? 61u7IZh5DnL._SL1500_

Painting Blood on seamless bodies? 51Xm6ZKPclL._AC_SL1000_

7Painting Blood on seamless bodies? Empty Re: Painting Blood on seamless bodies? Tue 22 Feb 2022 - 18:32

Propcollector98

Yeah I was gonna use oil paint as a cheap alternative to silicone pigment but I will reconsider it lol. I will be leaving the blood on permanently and don’t plan on doing any crazy poses so it should be good. Will be posting the results!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum