OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TBLeague: Ghost Soldier Green/White(PL2022-195A/PL2022-195B)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Moonbase Alpha Male

Ghost808 wrote:
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:
Ghost808 wrote:Other than that, it's just "meh". There have been much better TBL fantasy warriors before, and charging the same $ for this as for a figure like Royal Defender, when this is basically just a thong and some greaves, feels like a con.!

Totally agree with the sentiments expressed, but comparing the price points of this one and the Royal Defender isn't a level playing field.  Same price, say $179.99 -- but the price of the Royal Defender was set in 2020.  Royal Defender might be priced $20 more now, or this one might have been priced $20 less in 2020.  It's not only the 2 years time, but specific cost impacts on materials and especially shipping from world events.  Looks like textbook stealth inflation actually -- price stays the same but the value/content is reduced.
I think it's a bit of column A, bit of column B. I think you are more on the money with stealth inflation though.

Time/world events have certainly played their part to some extent, I'm sure, but if you look at previous figures, and I don't just mean Defender. I chose that, as it's probably the most clothing heavy TBL in recent years, there are other more recent TBL's that offer way more value at a similar price point.

Another reason I chose Defender. A kitbasher friend of mine purely buys figures for a head, or weapon, and sells on the rest. On Defender, he made $430 with parts to spare! (Not a bad sideline, if you can be bothered to pack and ship all the bits). I think you'd be lucky to barely make a profit on this, especially as the head is less unique/desirable. (And the re-used stuff). It shows the lack of physical value on offer.

I think I'm also just overly aware of pricing in recent years thanks to covid impacts. 
This figure screams bad value to me. Sadly I fear many will cough up the cash, and TBL prices will continue to climb rapidly.

Yes, I'd agree with all of that.  Maybe add in the factor that they rushed to put it together and to put it out, as evidenced not only by the figure being a bit "light," but also by whatever problem / delay they are still having on the "White" side of it.  I was surprised this Green one actually went up listed "normally" for sale, without qualifier, at various places without the White one even being seen.

BigBadToy is $179 with reasonable shipping cost, where GiantToy is $210 with "free" shipping, once again requiring some adjustment to the dictionary definition of "free." If I decided to get this or the eventual "White," for me it would be through Toy Square as usual.

Diana

I've added the info/photos for the white version to the initial post.

Ghost808

Absolutely. This does feel rushed. If it has indeed run into complications, I wonder what got left on the cutting room? It'd be interesting to see.

Yeah, I've always found "free shipping" entertaining! Usually though, giantoy break even with, or better than other traders, once you factor in postage to the UK. Maybe they are starting to slip and I need to shop around more.

I wonder if this is being well received by Chinese audiences? As that seems to be the decider as to whether a figure gets revised/scrapped.

Ghost808

Diana wrote:I've added the info/photos for the white version to the initial post.
Thanks Diana.
While I still find it wildly overpriced and not one of TBL's better figures, the white version is MUCH more interesting than the green. 
Still won't make my preorder list though.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Hm. While it's nice to get an actual white/silver-haired headsculpt instead of the usual TBLeague Generic Blonde (TM), it's still too soft even for a TBLeague Fantasy Sexy Warrior Babe (TM again) and for me there's nothing particularly exciting about either set aside from those heads.

Ghost808 wrote:I wonder if this is being well received by Chinese audiences? As that seems to be the decider as to whether a figure gets revised/scrapped.

It appears to be receiving a resounding 'meh' on BBICN (but the Soldier Amazons got a much worse reception there and they still went ahead unchanged):

https://bbs.bbicn.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=385814&extra=&highlight=TBLeague&page=1

Other complaints seem to be that it's 'not busty enough'. Rolling Eyes

gooboo

I'm pretty sure the white version headsculpt is a copy of the white elf archer head, minus the big elf ears. That headsulpt sold out very quickly on ebay, this one probably will too.

After seeing both versions of this figure, I'm still not sure whether I want to buy a whole set or just some of the armor pieces I want to kitbash.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
I think both versions will be a pass.  I think they look fine, but there’s nothing really unique here that makes me feel like I have to have one.

TB League needs to sign some licenses…badly.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Xavion2004 wrote:TB League needs to sign some licenses…badly.

Agreed. But then, the price will go up even more to make room for another party’s profit.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TBLeague: Ghost Soldier Green/White(PL2022-195A/PL2022-195B) - Page 2 C8485110

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Ghost808 wrote:Absolutely. This does feel rushed. If it has indeed run into complications, I wonder what got left on the cutting room? It'd be interesting to see...

I might be reading too much into it, but the 'whiter' epithet now attached to it might suggest that the head sculpt was originally just a standard TBLeague Generic Blonde (TM), and they decided to tweak it ?

Also, I wonder if this 'whiter' option uses a pale body?

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
Stryker2011 wrote:

Agreed. But then, the price will go up even more to make room for another party’s profit.

It might be enough if they'd just re-widen their scope a bit -- stuff they used to do, that seems inconceivable now that it's 100% sword/spear warrior women (apart from Egyptian Gods that are winding down anyway).  Maybe something Science Fiction, like the Galaxy Soldier, or period themed, like the Cowgirl.  

Not so sure about Licenses, even apart from the added cost issue.  Did they outright lose "Court of the Dead" to Threezero, or is it shared?  If TBL does chase other Licenses, it may be stuff we like even less -- like we just saw PL2022-193 and 194 from the Green Snake movie (Owner of Precious Jade-Fox Demon) which does nothing whatsoever for me.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
I hate contracting myself…which is counter productive since I do it constantly…but the white Ghostie is starting to grow on me. I’m trying to figure out what color the underside of her cape is. It looks like the green version is red and the white version is orange. I really don’t have any 1/6 figures sporting orange and I kind of like the idea. It doesn’t hurt that she’s $180 at Big Bad Toy Store and she’ll be just over $200 shipped after sales taxes.

gooboo

The photographs are quite nice. This is one of those situations where I have to ask myself- do I really like the figure itself or the promotional photos of it?

csyeung

csyeung
White one looks nice. Hard to say now that you mention it, Xavion, if it's red or orange. Could totally be either one due to lighting in the photos. I would presume it's the same red though on both comparing it to the fingernails.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I like the "white" head in and of itself, but still can't warm up to the whole thing. Which is good for my wallet.

Diana

Diana
I really don't care for the white version either. They are both rather boring. I don't think the fiery background works, but the overall design to me seems flawed in some way. I can imagine liking it more on people's shelves than in these promos.

Ghost808

Ghost808
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

It might be enough if they'd just re-widen their scope a bit -- stuff they used to do, that seems inconceivable now that it's 100% sword/spear warrior women (apart from Egyptian Gods that are winding down anyway).  Maybe something Science Fiction, like the Galaxy Soldier, or period themed, like the Cowgirl.  

Not so sure about Licenses, even apart from the added cost issue.  Did they outright lose "Court of the Dead" to Threezero, or is it shared?  If TBL does chase other Licenses, it may be stuff we like even less -- like we just saw PL2022-193 and 194 from the Green Snake movie (Owner of Precious Jade-Fox Demon) which does nothing whatsoever for me.
You're 100% on the money with broadening their scope. Why not more cowgirls? More sci-fi space vixens? Maybe a take on ninjas/samurai again? Conquistadors, modern soldiers (although verycool have that cornered), just anything less travelled. And if they could throw a bit more ethnic variation in, that'd be great too!

Given the cost of their unlicensed, light on content figures, their fully licensed figure prices, would probably make me cry! 😆

Nekk-ra

Though there are parts here I could see myself adding to my custom project pile, these two ladies aren't clicking with me. First of all, they come off more as mages than soldiers. Except for the Poptoys Shamans, and MCU-based sorcerers, not a whole lot of that genre in the 1/6 game, and it would make them stand out more than giving them sword babe treatment.
Secondly, if you're going to name them "ghost soldiers", make them ghost soldiers. Pale skin ( white , blue, gray, etc.), Translucent armor and weapons, LED or GITD elements/accessories. If you want to get people to spend 200+ on your product, you can't give them the same old style they paid 150 for a couple years ago.
Or maybe I'm overthinking this and rambling.

Diana

Diana
Vampire Slayer: Are you a human slaying vampires? Or are you a slayer who is a vampire?
Ghost Soldier: are you a soldier fighting ghosts or a ghost who is a soldier?

With the look of the white version (and the long finger nails) I'd assume the latter, but the green version doesn't look ghostly at all. Whatever. I don't care too much about the title matching the look. These figures just bore me to tears. I don't care for even a single part of these, even though the heads are pretty. That body gets shown off beautifully, which seems to be the only purpose of these figures.

Kallor8

Anybody notice that the green one looks just like the artwork a member of this forum put up in another thread (I want to say the Amazons or new Spartan Commander threads) as a hope for TBLeague to make ? That's pretty cool if nothing else that somebody got their wish granted.

Ghost808

Ghost808
Kallor8 wrote:Anybody notice that the green one looks just like the artwork a member of this forum put up in another thread (I want to say the Amazons or new Spartan Commander threads) as a hope for TBLeague to make ? That's pretty cool if nothing else that somebody got their wish granted.
Could you link to it? I'd like to see that. Thanks.

Kallor8

Ghost808 wrote:
Kallor8 wrote:Anybody notice that the green one looks just like the artwork a member of this forum put up in another thread (I want to say the Amazons or new Spartan Commander threads) as a hope for TBLeague to make ? That's pretty cool if nothing else that somebody got their wish granted.
Could you link to it? I'd like to see that. Thanks.

It's strange, I remember there being an artwork image recently in one of those threads. like you see on deviantart, with a woman sittings with her knees drawn up in remarkably similar attire, but now I can't find it. I'm sorry man, now I understand how the Mandala Effect people feel. Maybe it's just in another thread and I'll come across it again.

csyeung

csyeung
Was it this one, I posted this in the spartan army commander thread cause i thought it looked like that character.

TBLeague: Ghost Soldier Green/White(PL2022-195A/PL2022-195B) - Page 2 28489810

Kallor8

No, the art was in a pose like image 3 of Green Ghost Soldier up there and was green outfit and everything.  I should have checked before I posted but I was so sure I was like "hey is TBL reading our forums?"  When I use Google Lens to show visually similar images, this one below  is kind of like what I remember seeing on the board...somewhere lol.  The Sideshow Dragon Slayer statue has some shared elements with the TBLeague as well, so I'm thinking my memory got a bit jumbled:

TBLeague: Ghost Soldier Green/White(PL2022-195A/PL2022-195B) - Page 2 D7q5qu10

FreakinLobster

FreakinLobster
Oh man, TBL could make a concept art contest, to get some cool ideas for future figures. Just imagine having the chance of your art becoming a figure. They would have a bunch of incredible ideas in their shelves for quite a while AND they would get a good promotion for their brand.
And maybe we would get a chance of seeing some male figures in fantasy armors to go along with all the previous female figures.

Diana

Diana
FreakinLobster wrote:Oh man, TBL could make a concept art contest, to get some cool ideas for future figures. Just imagine having the chance of your art becoming a figure. They would have a bunch of incredible ideas in their shelves for quite a while AND they would get a good promotion for their brand.
And maybe we would get a chance of seeing some male figures in fantasy armors to go along with all the previous female figures.
I love that idea. I'd be in! Very Happy

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Just got invoiced for one of these.

I picked the 'Whiter' version (which seems to be the most popular). I'll try and pick up the other sculpt if the prices aren't absolutely ridiculous.

Meanwhile...

Seems like I was right, the 'Whiter' version does seem like a pale sculpt & body.

PatriciaLaHag

PatriciaLaHag
GeeWillikers wrote:

Meanwhile...

Thanks for the link, she looks really great!

"Holla die Waldfee" (German figure of speech for "That knocks my socks off").

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
PatriciaLaHag wrote:Thanks for the link, she looks really great!

I have to admit I'm slightly disappointed that the hair appears to be a darker 'silver' grey rather than pure white, but we'll see how it looks once it arrives.

Diana

Diana
GeeWillikers wrote:
PatriciaLaHag wrote:Thanks for the link, she looks really great!

I have to admit I'm slightly disappointed that the hair appears to be a darker 'silver' grey rather than pure white, but we'll see how it looks once it arrives.

I did expect that from the promos, and I also don't like it. Even after seeing the figure in the video I am quite bored of her and really don't think the colors of hair and skin look good together.

A head with pure white hair could have been awesome!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum