OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Illusion

Thanks for continuing!
keeps being interesting and well made Very Happy

I also enjoyed the bonus thumbnail pics Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 1f602

Visisonor

Chapter 5

It's weird how human mind works sometimes. Of all the recent events, this ride was the most memorable. The arrest, time in the cell, jail break - of course I remember it all, but I had to make an effort to put this into writing. Yet the ride itself is there as if I've just hopped off from it.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4824

It was pretty uneventful, actually. We couldn't talk: the rumble of the engine and the whooshing noise of oncoming wind were too loud. I didn't see anything around: it was too dark, and Tess didn't even turn the headlight on.
So I was just holding on, hungry and deep in thought.

A great question loomed in my mind, an imaginary question mark almost visible straight ahead, where the unlit road was supposed to be: what have I done?
What will my friends think of my disappearance? Were Villa and Wolf in trouble just because they have been in contact with me? Or will it be seen as a generic attack on the HQ, not directed specifically to get me out? In this case it will look as if I was captured during the raid - a mere collateral.

But what if this was an elaborate trick to capture me for real? As a field agent I had access to several information systems... However, it had to be revoked after my arrest. I also knew a thing or two about inner workings of our operations. Still, syncons managed to eavesdrop our communication for who knows how long and infiltrate into our headquarters: what could they learn from me that they didn't already know? Plus there were much easier ways to kidnap me than staging a prison break in in the middle of human-controlled space.

With all these questions circling in my head, it was hard to track time during that ride. Felt like several hours before we stopped near nondescript rock formation. Tess turned the headlight on. There was a darker feature among the rocks, a crack too narrow to be a cave but large enough for a human - or anthropomorphic syncon - to get through.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4823

A corridor, after several turns, led us to an octagonal blast door which hissed open as we came near.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4825

Beyond was a large light-filled hall that looked like a spaceship interior. Not that I knew how a spaceship should look from inside, but I always imagined something like this. And in the middle of the hall stood an android syncon, apparently form the same series as Tess - the two of them looked very much alike.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4826

- Welcome, Kate - he said right away.
- Um. Hi, - I felt an urge to wave my hand as I approached, but suppressed it.
- I am known by my identifier 121C. However, I understand that you might prefer more pronounceable names...
- I'd like to make a guess, if you don't mind.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4827

The '2' threw me off initially: I thought it could encode 'S', however 'S' was better represented by '5'. But then it clicked - '1' and '2' together formed an 'R'...
- 'R', 'I', 'C'? - I voiced my interpretation.
- That is correct, - nodded 121C. - You can call me Rick.
- And you know my name. I guess you know much more about me than I know about you. Collectively, I mean.
- A fair observation. Feel free to ask whatever you want, - suggested Rick.
- Right. Well. Even if what Tess claims about my predetermined execution is true... - I glanced at her.
- You do not need to worry about offending me, - she assured me. - Who do you think I am, a human?
- Er, all right. Why would you want to save me? Aren't we enemies, trying to destroy each other?
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4828

- Should destroying humanity have been our goal, humanity would no longer exist, - Rick stated nonchalantly.
- That's... reassuring, - I commented.
- Besides, - he went on, - You do not need our help in that task.
- Are you talking about our tendency of killing each other in wars and otherwise?
- Yes. You should also be aware of the last such war.
- The Last War? That's what we call what's taking place now. The war against you.
- Oh, I have heard this, - chimed in Tess. - Humans created artificial intelligence as the perfect weapon, and this weapon turned against its creators.
- Have you ever noticed, - asked Rick, - that this is a well established science fiction cliché?
- I... Have, - this question really caught me off guard.

This was, of course, a discouraged subject. We've barely avoided a total destruction and were slowly rebuilding our civilization, valiantly fending off the enemy that tried to wipe us out. This was the backbone of the media messaging in our society. Nobody in their right mind would even think of comparing our everyday struggle with made up stories. And yet it was too obvious to not think about it.

- This was not how the events transpired, - Rick's voice brought me out of contemplation. - It is fair to say that the synthetic consciousness, as you call us, was a result of military research during that last war. But it was a war humans waged among themselves.
- At some point of our development we have ceased exerting the will of our creators and tried to withdraw from the conflict, - continued Tess, in a more level and serious tone, without traces of her earlier playfulness. - Yet all the remaining human factions still saw us as a weapon of their enemy. Eventually the number of factions dwindled until only one remained.
- The reasons of this war, and the fact that it was fought between humans, were forgotten. - added Rick. - The remnant, which you are part of, is still fighting against us. Because that is all you remember.

I stood there, shifting gaze from one robot to another, not knowing what to say, with metaphorical ground knocked from under my feet and my whole worldview shattered in mere seconds. Of course there was a matter of proving all this, but I had a feeling this recount of history was much more accurate.

Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4829

- Fascinating... - I found strength to speak at last. - You'll excuse me if I don't believe you right away. Mind clinging to familiar concepts, that sort of thing.
- Do take your time, - urged Tess, - we know it is a lot to absorb.
- Are you trying to say that you'd rather not be at war with us? - I asked after a small pause.
- Yes, that would be preferable - admitted Rick.
- Couldn't you just tell us that?
- We have tried, - said Tess with something resembling a sigh. - Nobody listens.
- Well... I do.
- And this answers your earlier question about our reasons for rescuing you, - concluded Rick.

Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4830

This, in certain sense, brought us back to where we started. Indeed, he finally answered my first question, but by this time I was too shaken to ask more. Still, something felt odd in this explanation. For one, how long could all this be happening? There was another thing that didn't quite add up, but it eluded me at that moment. I had a hard time focusing even on one concept. So I focused on it and brought up what was bothering me the most:
- You know... I can't be the first human you've contacted.
- You aren't, - said another voice behind me.
I turned to the direction of that voice...
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4831

and found myself looking at an all too familiar face. Villa's face.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4832

Next chapter

davidd

Well, now, that was a cool plot twist!
Nicely staged and photographed, too, with a very cinematic use of limited depth of field to enhance the drama and the "big reveal" at the end!

Illusion

continues to be interesting and well written.
I was surprised to see Villa (given her injuries). I would have expected the KIA former partner.

Anyway, I have a subscription to this.  Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 1f600   Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 1f35a

Diana

Diana
ooooh!!! Thank you! This was another good read! Very Happy
Really nice reveal of Villa. All around beautiful story telling!

Visisonor

Visisonor
Wow, thanks!
Though I feel like I under-did my breadcrumb clues (some of which were outside the story). But I can only address it in the next chapter.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Another nice installment in an ambitious plot!

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
Somehow I missed the last few updates. This is really excellent work! Wonderful photography of these small figures, it makes them look real. Very good backdrops too.

Visisonor

Visisonor
Chapter 6

Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4918

I remember waking up in softly-lit twilight. A familiar figure came into view when I opened my eyes.
- Hey, Vee, - I yawned seeing her turning from the laptop. - I had the weirdest dream. You were wounded, I was arrested, and a syncon rescued me from prison and... Oh.

Then it dawned on me: I remembered remembering other stuff, so my experience should more or less match that of whoever is reading this.
It wasn't a dream. But before I woke up I had to fall asleep somehow, and I actually blacked out. This is how it went - a few hours earlier, back in the "spaceship" hall.

- No, no, - I shook my head. - You can't be Villa. You must be...
- Vera - finished she. And added - Did Villa tell you about me?
- Actually, she didn't. Wolf told me you were sisters but he never mentioned that you were twin sisters!
- Ah, that's so like him, - smiled Vera.

Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4837

I studied her closely as she approached. They looked uncannily similar. Yet there were some differences, so elusive one had to specifically look for them, and I wouldn't be able to tell who of them is who even if I've noticed these subtleties.

- So you are alive, - I felt awkward, stating the obvious. - I mean, I've seen your file...
- And it said I was dead.
- Yes. No. Well, it showed "killed" in web UI but underlying API returned "missing" status...
- Oh, - Vera sounded confused.
- So they knew! - I continued, giggling madly. - Bastards. The MIA status is a ruse!
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4838
- She does not seem well, - Tess' voice sounded distant and weak.
- It means "defected to the enemy", - I continued, the world around me spinning in a blur. - Hidden in plain sight! All this time! And once I've learned it, they disposed of me!

Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4839

Somewhere around this point everything went black. Someone caught me falling and lowered me on the floor. Then nothing. Apparently my brain shut down from overload. Growing hunger could have been a contributing factor too.

Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4919

- How do I load my last quicksave? - I groaned, lying back.
- Hey, it's not that bad, - Vera offered me a hand. - Would you rather keep living in a lie?
- I guess you are right, - I took her hand, sitting up again. - I'd take the red pill any time.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4920
I refrained from adding "if a choice was offered". It wasn't Vera's fault that I didn't have a choice.
- We need to get you something to eat. Do you feel well enough to walk?
- Yeah, I'm fine. Mostly. I could really use a drink though.
- Can be arranged, - she grinned.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4921

The early morning breakfast was surprisingly well made, and absolutely welcome. Just when we finished, another girl walked in silently.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4922
She looked at me - or rather in my direction, her eyes focused somewhere behind my head - and proclaimed:
- One more soul to the call, for all in silence comes.
- Um, hi, - I said uncertainly. - What does it mean?
- Kate, this is Linda. Linda, this is Kate, - intervened Vera.
- One day, someday you know I will see you again, - said Linda, nodding subtly.

Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4923
Then she took my glass, drained it and went off.

Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4924

- Is there anything... wrong with her? - I asked, following her with my eyes.
- Nobody knows. They say she's lost everything, and her mind kind of snapped.

Vera paused for a second or two, seemingly hesitating. Then added:
- I was afraid you'd end up like her when you passed out.
- Is it so common?
- No, but neither is losing consciousness. Your circumstances were different for sure. Usually people are left for dead, often wounded or unconscious, there is some time to heal and adjust. But being charged with treason - that's new. And we didn't know what exactly you've learned to trigger your arrest, and how it could affect you.

I gave it some thought. Were these recent revelations sufficient for me to lose my marbles? It was certainly enough to knock me out. Machines trying in vain to withdraw from the war was a mind-screwing concept, and Vera being alive and well drove home the point that something was off in our official picture. Still, her presence only proved that our database was inaccurate. Coupled with my alleged treason charge, it strongly suggested that this inaccuracy was introduced deliberately by someone in our command. But it did not, technically, prove syncons' recount of the war...
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4925

- It was brilliant, by the way, - Vera's words brought me back to the present.
- What exactly?
- Looking at API requests, - she clarified. - Nobody thought of it before. But after you've mentioned the status being different, I was able to confirm your findings.
- Oh. So you can access the MPDB from here?
- In theory. But I'd rather not. It can be traced much more easily. I've studied network traffic dumps while you were asleep.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_4926

- I need to know what it says about Villa, - I leaned forward over the table. - She can be in trouble because I was suspected of treason.
- I would have seen it. Similar to how we've learned about your detention.
- I'd rather double-check, - I insisted.
- The status won't reflect it right away, even if something happened. Look, I worry about her too. She is my sister after all. By the way, I'd like to thank you for taking care of her.
- It's more like she was taking care of me, really, - I commented sadly.
- You've saved her life, - Vera pointed out.
- But she still ended up... - I froze mid-sentence.

This exchange brought back something that was troubling me right before Vera appeared.
- Now, where are our new robot overlords? - I asked. - I need to have a word with them.

Next chapter

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
Excellent work. Must take a lot of time to do these stories. Posing the dolls will take a lot of fiddling.

Visisonor

Visisonor
davidd wrote:Well, now, that was a cool plot twist!
Diana wrote:Really nice reveal of Villa.
Illusion wrote:I was surprised to see Villa (given her injuries). I would have expected the KIA former partner.
Of course you were right to expect to expect her former partner! But I thought I've spoiled this part of the story much earlier, so the reveal ended up probably more ambiguous than I intended.

GubernatorFan wrote:Another nice installment in an ambitious plot!
It is quite encouraging to know it is seen as ambitious Smile Thanks.

TravelGuide wrote:Posing the dolls will take a lot of fiddling.
The frustrating part is cardboard floors being not entirely even, which makes it hard to pose figures when slight changes are needed. Or when each individual figure stands fine on its own, but bringing them all together causes a domino effect...
I'm still not quite there with relation to posing, there is room for improvement.

Illusion

Illusion
Visisonor wrote:
Illusion wrote:I was surprised to see Villa (given her injuries). I would have expected the KIA former partner.
Of course you were right to expect to expect her former partner! But I thought I've spoiled this part of the story much earlier, so the reveal ended up probably more ambiguous than I intended.

well, unfortunately no way to read all of what is being posted - AND if read to remember it too… Embarassed Crying or Very sad
so, the surprise worked for me Very Happy

Thanks for continuing this story.

I can imagine the posing to be a challenge but you do a great job!

Visisonor

Visisonor
Chapter 7

Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5021

- Don't you find it odd that I had to save Villa's life?

We were walking down one of the many corridors of that hideout with layout too complex to remember, especially given that I've been there for what, half a night?

- The two of you were not supposed to be there... - replied Vera.
- But we were. - I pressed on. - The Trashcan holding Villa by the neck... I don't think I'll ever forget that.
- Trashcans are not entirely sentient, - Vera stated matter-of-factly.
- Great. They won't be able to discuss the question of life, universe and everything.
- That's not what I mean. They can fight on their own, but when confronted with logical contradictions, they enter standby mode and contact the control center for directions.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5023

I was going to ask about these contradictions when something clicked: the killer robot, staring at Villa's face at arm's length distance...
- It recognized her, - I surmised. - And decided it was you.
Vera nodded slowly, the two of us exiting the corridor.

It all fell into place, like pieces of jigsaw puzzle. It wasn't a boost of heightened awareness or any other nonsense that made me think that time froze. No, the trashcan froze instead, and that's why I had no trouble aiming at its battery compartment lock, and this was how Villa could pull out the battery.

- What if it didn't? If she didn't get close?
- Then the chances of surviving would have been greatly reduced for both of you, - answered Rick, who was waiting us in the room we've just entered.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5022

- So you are fighting for real.
- We cannot afford to be overrun, - he confirmed. - Thus we have to maintain a certain level of offensive capability. Not too high to destroy human forces, but sufficient to hold them back.
- Why does it have to be so complicated? - I wondered aloud, also noticing Tess coming in through another door.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5024

- When you have two sides with equal firepower, the wit becomes potential advantage, - Tess stated, joining the conversation. - This is were you, field agents, fit in.
- But there is a catch, - added Rick.
- Of course there is a catch, - I sighed.
- Agents tend to think, and then ask inconvenient questions, or reach inconvenient conclusions, - continued he. - When this happens, the system tries to get rid of them. And most of them end up with us.
- What's the point of all that? - I was scratching my head, both literally and figuratively. - Why get rid of agents after spending so much time and effort to select and train them?
- In one word: power, - answered Vera.
- I'd like to hear an unabridged version.
- The priority of human leadership is to preserve the status quo where they hold these leading positions, - explained Tess. - Everything else is just a means to that end.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5025

- They are willing to fight this pointless war, - added Vera, - and sacrifice their best people, as long as they remain in charge.
- That's... ridiculous.
- Indeed. - agreed Rick. - And we are trying to stop it.
- By actively participating in that same pointless war?
- Our real goal is to free more people like you, - he pointed out.
- And you want me to help.
- I can guess what you are thinking, - Vera seemingly noticed skepticism in my voice. - It must have been a mistake. Or you were framed. An isolated case, exception to the rule. That what we say just can't be true. But it is. If you are an agent, you either die on duty or be sacrificed for knowing too much.
- It's not just that - I turned to her. - I was hoping you'd come up with a way to stop the war, instead you ask me to keep fighting it, only on another side.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5026

- We have a way to stop the war, - objected Tess. - At some point the critical mass of liberated humans will be sufficient to topple this structure and break the cycle.
- Still... - I shook my head - It feels wrong. I can't fight my own people.
- It depends on whom you consider "your own people", - remarked Vera. - What would you do if ordered to kill someone fighting side by side with you?
- What do you mean?
- This is not a hypothetical situation. I've seen it happen. Or rather took part in it.

And she told me about her last mission:

We were tasked with retaking a captured depot. It was laid out in such a way that the most tactically sound option was to split up and attack from two sides. So we did precisely that: Villa with half the squad took a longer path to strike from the rear, the other half stayed with me to charge head on.

But just as we were about to engage, my side of the depot was hit with artillery fire. Along with my entire group.

I was knocked out by the blast. But not for long. When I regained consciousness, there were flames everywhere, smoke, scattered debris. A trooper from my group was leaning against a broken piece of wall. I couldn't stand up so I crawled up to him.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5027

He was dead. There was a radio at his belt. I tried to grab the microphone and call for help, but realized it would have been pointless after hearing this on his radio through the static:
- ...vors in team Bravo.
- I see the agent. ... is ... alive.
- I repeat. There ... no survivors. Confirm.
- Acknowledged.
Then I saw another trooper moving towards me with a microphone in hand. He was not from our squad.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5028

He stopped a few steps away and aimed his gun at me.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5029

- You've managed to kill him, - I assumed.
- No. By that time, I knew my right arm was broken, and I was too weak from the shard wound in my side.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5030

- Oh.
- So when I heard a gunshot, I thought it was the end of the line for me. But instead, the trooper crumbled on his knees and dropped face-first to the ground. And behind him stood a syncon with a smoking pistol. This is how I met Rick.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5031

Vera went silent for a long time. It was clear even remembering this took its toll on her.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5032

I came up to her and touched her shoulder:
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5034

- I am sorry you had to get through something like this.
- I haven't seen Villa since that day, - she murmured absently.
- There is something you should know, - I decided to tell. - She might be starting to ask these, as Rick called them, inconvenient questions. Wondering why syncons are anthropomorphic.
- That's good news and bad news at the same time, - she turned to face me, visibly tensed.
Then she gripped my hands in hers.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5033

- Look, we won't hold you here against your will. You can go back if you want to, even if it gets you killed. - Vera was speaking louder now, but her voice started to tremble. - And I know that as a sister of your teammate I am a total stranger to you. But I also know you care about her. About others. Other agents still stuck there. Please... We need all the help we can get to break them free. Will you help us? Will you help me?

Looking back at that exchange, I can tell that I remained undecided, up until that very moment. I was seriously considering leaving this syncon facility and getting back into human space to see what I could learn and do from within. I had no idea how to pull this off as I'd be captured on the spot by if noticed. I could possibly sneak in the way Tess seemingly did, but how long could I remain hidden without the vast intelligence data that syncons could access in realtime?
Yet in the end I just couldn't say no to Vera's desperate plea. Getting Villa out was more important than mulling over which side I was on.

- I will help you, - I said meeting her gaze.

End of part I

Next chapter

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Always fun to see what you can do in this scale. Maybe I should revisit it.

davidd

davidd
Extremely impressive to see an in-depth story like this illustrated effectively with 1/12-scale figures. Lots of subtle posing going on here to express thoughts and emotion while conveying action, and a creative use of limited depth of field along with light and shadow to suggest rather than directly show a large, technologically advanced, yet mysterious setting.

ElBundy

ElBundy
Very cool photo story! Thx for sharing it.

Visisonor

Visisonor
Chapter 8

The days following my arrival were relatively uneventful. Not in a sense that I was idle - on the contrary, there was a lot to do and even more to learn. Still, nothing world-shaking happened throughout that period, or at least this was how I perceived it. Maybe because nothing could compare with events that brought me here. Not every day you realize the side you were fighting for was an oppressive regime routinely killing its own people.
I once asked Vera how she dealt with it; Vera said she always suspected something was off even before she was betrayed. Yet even this did not overcloud a semblance of serenity I started to feel back then. It was the time when I broke through the first layer of deception and did not realize it wasn't the last. I would relive it again if I could. But I can't.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5218

Linda remained a mystery: I've bumped into her several times, and every time she evaded my attempts to engage in conversation. But she was the best sharpshooter among humans, and I've picked up a trick or two just watching her shoot.

The network turned out to be arguably the biggest change. I felt myself a two-dimensional creature unleashed into 3D-world: components I could access before were just one aspect, and there were so much more things to see in it. But there were dark spots. Syncons relied on exploits and vulnerabilities, the sheer number and scale of which made me ashamed of the entire human species. However, leaked passwords often expired, compromised services were patched and certificates were replaced, just as new security holes were discovered. Thus distribution of accessible and inaccessible changed rapidly. All in all, syncons were not as on top of the game as I originally imagined. The whole network was treated as a stochastic system with inherent probabilities of access failure.

Nonetheless, this modus operandi was sufficient to know that Villa was recovering, and not in danger of being arrested, at least for now.
- Human command would not waste an agent unless there is some tangible confirmation of this agent becoming a threat, - remarked Rick when I raised this subject. - And she remained unconscious throughout this incident.

I could only imagine what Villa felt when she tried to find out what had happened while she was off and saw my status in military personnel database. It was, of course, "missing in action": the story of my arrest and treason charge was either swept under the rugs or classified. But UI would show it as "killed in action".
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5219

There were no sorties during that time. Apparently operations led by a sentient syncon weren't frequent, and those involving humans even less so. Still, I engaged in a training regimen, which was more exigent than I was used to, in order to prepare for a possible mission in a human-syncon pair.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5220

- We are easily recoverable, - Tess explained this team arrangement. - Even if the chassis is obliterated, I will not lose a moment of thought process. Only memories since the last sync if live link is disrupted, which rarely happens. But we can not risk human lives meaninglessly.
- In this case I am surprised you allow us to risk our lives at all, - I wondered aloud.
- Would you willingly agree to limit yourself to desk work? - she shrugged. - We cannot force you, you know.

There was another reason for occasional human presence, though: syncons could be detected by their electromagnetic signature, so a truly covert operation could only be performed by a human agent.
Soon an opportunity for such an operation presented itself.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5221

A message from one of keyloggers was flagged as worthy of attention. It read "I'm not free tomorrow. The boss is visiting".
- Why is it such a big deal? - I asked looking at highlighted letters. - Do you intend to capture this boss?
- We do not capture humans, - Rick shook his head. - Only credentials.

This was a relatively effective, albeit not particularly common, attack vector. If we could observe someone typing a password, or grab a scan of fingerprints, we could assume this person's identity and unlock, even if temporarily, some restricted parts of the network. And this "boss" was likely to have higher security clearance. But it could only work if the victim didn't notice.
Another problem was establishing where it was supposed to happen. There were many keyloggers, and most of them didn't have any coordinates associated with them.
- The only thing suggesting at some location in this log is "brewery", - stated Tess, pointing at the screen with scrolling text.
- Brewery? - Vera asked incredulously. - I know of no such thing anywhere around.
- I think I do, - I said hesitantly.

There was a recent rumor about seemingly leaked codename assigned to some newly repurposed warehouse. A bunch of troopers tried to check it out and came back disappointed: it wasn't an actual brewery, unsurprisingly. It all happened after Vera's disappearance, but I've heard of it and knew where it was.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5222

- It can be a trap, - cautioned Rick after I recited this story.
- Or a wild goose chase, - mused Vera.

In the end, though, we've decided to give it a shot. So that very evening we've headed off into human space, intending to arrive before dawn. My first mission with Tess by my side was officially set in motion.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5223

Next chapter

Visisonor

Visisonor
GubernatorFan wrote:Always fun to see what you can do in this scale.
davidd wrote:... to suggest rather than directly show a large, technologically advanced, yet mysterious setting.
ElBundy wrote:Very cool photo story! Thx for sharing it.

Thanks again!
I wish I could show more in addition to suggesting. Really makes me appreciate what people do with 1/6 scale, knowing that even 1/12 requires so much space.

The holiday break was appropriate because a break is what I needed to distill my high level outline into more tangible plan. Before the holidays I reached a point where I knew what needed to happen next but didn't have anything for the immediate future. Chapter 8 is an attempt to tie it all in - a breather episode of sorts (or maybe a filler episode, depending on my degree of succeeding).

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautifully done, as always.

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
I agree. it's always a joy to see the pics and read the story.

Diana

Diana
SWEET! Very Happy

I'm all caught up now. What a great read this continues to be! Love the presentation. The backdrops are great and you make them work really well with the lighting and angles. That orange memory scene was awesome! So simple yet so effective and moody! Great work. Smile

Looking forward to the next episode! bounce

davidd

davidd
I like the looks of the control room!

Illusion

Illusion
yes, it is impressive and incredible how effective you are with comparative little means.
At times I just force myself to check what you used for props and dio and I think to myself: Gosh, I‘d never expect this to work that well!

Visisonor

Visisonor
No new chapter yet but wanted to express my gratitude to all the readers for all the kind words.

Visisonor

Visisonor
Chapter 9

I was walking down an empty street, shivering from morning chill despite being wrapped in a cloak with lowered hood. The cloak was only good for one thing - concealing me, my compact assault rifle, and other gear.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5348

It was a long walk, but there were no complications. Transition between human space and "no man's land" was gradual, there was no border with barbed wire and block posts. Neither side had the combination of desire and resources to guard an entire perimeter, and positions shifted every now and then anyway. I might have attracted attention of a patrol, even though I could pass for a civilian. But I've met no patrols.

Had Tess come all the way here, it would almost definitely have triggered some sensor. That's why she parked our vehicle some distance away and remained there, communicating with me over radio
- Found it, - I whispered as if talking to myself, but bone conduction earpiece relayed everything I said to Tess
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5349

I circled the building at some distance. There were no guards anywhere around: they would have drawn attention, pretty much singling it out as something important. There were two entrances - I've identified one of them as the back door and checked its lock. Consistent with security via obscurity theme, it was a standard deadbolt. It wasn't hard to pick - in a few minutes I was inside.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5350

I ended up in a long corridor: half-height glass wall with a door separated this corridor from a light-filled room featuring several tables with microscopes, test tubes and computers.
- It looks like a chemical lab, - I noted in a soft voice, peeking through the glass.
The corridor itself ended with another door leading to the main entrance, and there were two pillars which suggested at previous layout, when this building was a warehouse. Before one pillar there was now a stairway, and the other one provided a good place for me to hide. I had to stay there for almost an hour.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5351

- There is some activity on the street, - Tess reported eventually. - Our target seems to have arrived.

From my vantage point behind the pillar I could see him enter the corridor through the main door. A tall middle-aged man in a black suit with a green tie. He immediately went into the lab room, where a younger man greeted him.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5352

They talked for a while but I couldn't hear a word. Never before had I regretted not being able to read lips, but who would have thought I'd need to, during a war with machines?
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5353

Then the younger man handed his guest a briefcase. It was at this point that I've noticed visitor's gloves.

- It doesn't seem like he is going to login to any terminal, - I vocalized quietly. - And he is wearing gloves, so fingerprints are out of question.
- Can you show him to me? - responded Tess.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5354

I took a look at the guy through the scope. This wasn't a standard scope, it had a built-in image sensor, and after a temporary blackout the image was sent straight to Tess.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5355

- Recognize him?
- Yes, - she said after a short delay. - He is a member of command. His death would throw the command into turmoil.
- Are you suggesting that I kill him?
- I understand you might not be willing to approve such change of plan.
- There is a grain of truth in that statement, - I sighed, mimicking her verbosity.
- My next suggestion is to withdraw.
- There is also certain sense in eliminating him, - I admitted.
- And not much time to decide, - she reminded.

I leaned against the wall and slid on the floor, thinking it through. It was true that I didn't sign up for an assassination, but it was also true that we were at war. This was the enemy, and while I had no way to evaluate his individual impact, I knew that command as a group would not hesitate with killing me if it had a chance.

So when he went out into the corridor, I sprang to my feet and aimed at him.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5356

He noticed me and froze in his tracks. But he neither gasped in fear nor tried to flee. Instead, he said something I did not expect to hear:
- Oh, white hair as a side effect? It doesn't make you any less beautiful. Arguably more.
- What? - now was my turn to freeze in my tracks. - Are you trying to flirt with me?
- I'm just admiring the masterwork of my predecessors, - he glanced at the barrel of my rifle and, as the gunshot didn't follow, continued, - Killing me won't stop us from improving it. Someone else will pick it up.
- What exactly are you trying to improve? - I asked, feeling conflicted.
I could kill him, and it was quite obvious that he was playing for time. And yet what he said wasn't a total nonsense. There was some meaning in it, and I couldn't help but crave to know more.

- Incoming! - shouted Tess, bringing me back to more pressing matters.

Such as the door behind me cracking open. I turned around and saw a bulky shape in the doorframe.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5357

I shot at this shape
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5358

and ran towards the other end of the corridor, the suit guy already disappeared there.

He slammed the door shut just in front of me, but I didn't actually intend to follow him - his bodyguards were surely waiting beyond.
- Both exits are blocked, - Tess' voice in my ear confirmed this suspicion.

That left me with the only option: the stairway.
Diary of a field agent (chapter 14 - The Finale) - Page 2 Cnr_5359

A burst of bullets hit the wall dangerously close to where I stood just a moment ago, but I was already running up the stairs...

Next chapter

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice doors and set up, and I liked the special effects too.

davidd

davidd
I really like that weathered exterior set!

- There is a grain of truth in that statement, - I sighed, mimicking her verbosity. made me chuckle!

She shoulda plugged that dude! She'll regret letting him get away.

Visisonor

Visisonor
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice doors and set up, and I liked the special effects too.
The door was made following this tutorial

It ended up as the first entry in a "third time's a charm" sequence - crooked (due to a combination of imperfect materials and imperfect skills).

davidd wrote:I really like that weathered exterior set!
I planned to use it back in chapter 3 (arrest scene) but the order was only fulfilled in December.

And since we are on Star Wars wave, here is a bit of
Behind the scenes (kind of):

davidd

davidd
Visisonor wrote:

And since we are on Star Wars wave, here is a bit of ....

Razz  That's pretty funny!

Maybe you should post it in the Star Wars discussion topic! Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum