OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Adding Hair to Headsculpt

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Adding Hair to Headsculpt Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:00 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
At the suggestion of Skywalkersaga, since I was working on it anyway, I put together this little hairing tutorial.

Let's take as an example Hot Toys' Thena figure. Gorgeous head sculpt, with the usual molded long locks of hair, which are impressive, but even if they might look cool (though perhaps not fully realistic), they definitely get in the way of poseability. So, of course they had to go. So did the the diadem. And I was not set on recreating the same look. The tutorial is essentially my take on Morezmore's tutorial from a few years ago.

What you need:
  • Headsculpt to hair or modify and rehair.
  • Air-drying clay or sculpey or green stuff (kneadatite) if modifying head sculpt surface -- this is not something you'll be sticking in an oven.
  • The hair of your choice (lamb wool in this instance, for me).
  • The glue of your choice (Morezmore recommends fabri-tac, but I hate the stuff -- and it hates me -- so I use Gorilla Superglue Gel).
  • Sharp scissors.
  • A whole bunch of toothpicks (use separate ones for applying the glue and pressing hair locks in place, and clean or better yet change to avoid glue transfer and an escalating mess).
  • (Recommended) hair gel or conditioner -- and water, of course.
  • (Recommended) acrylic paints or markers (besides painting the scalp as needed at the beginning, you might need to obscure any remaining bald spots or glue residue at the end).

Of course, I forgot to document every stage at the right time, but I believe there is enough here to illustrate the process relatively clearly. So here it goes...

Unless you are starting with a bald headsculpt...

Adding Hair to Headsculpt Hht0110

In theory, it makes sense to remove all molded hair, but sometimes leaving the separately molded hairline in place can actually be helpful to achieving a good final look.

Adding Hair to Headsculpt Hht0210

For the next illustration, I forgot to take a shot of the final paint of the scalp in a color more or less matching the hair; you can see it at a later stage, when already partly haired.

Adding Hair to Headsculpt Hht0310

Using a different head to chart out the hairing strategy, below. One doesn't have to actually draw on the head before proceeding with the application of glue and locks of hair, but some might find it helpful; either way, this is the sort of thing you should have in mind. Also, since glue dries, you are not going to apply all the glue stripes first, then come back for applying all the locks of hair. I usually alternate, one at a time.

Adding Hair to Headsculpt Hht0410

The original Morezmore tutorial had one apply the glue to each lock of hair, but I find that inconvenient and messy, and recommend applying a stripe of glue directly onto the scalp, then placing and pressing the "base" of the lock onto it.

Adding Hair to Headsculpt Hht0510

When I say "wash," I really mean rinse... And be warned, removing loose hair strands can be an alarmingly "productive" process, but if you did you job right, there would still be plenty of hair left, glued in place. I don't know if fabri-tac glue causes residue like superglue does, but the residue can be handled, as below.

Adding Hair to Headsculpt Hht0610

Below, be aware that ample application of hair conditioner can result in an overly wet-looking or clumpy look, although that is easily rectified with a light rinse or just futzing with the hair.

Adding Hair to Headsculpt Hht0711

And you're done... Deploy your newly haired head as needed.

Adding Hair to Headsculpt Texs1610

More photos of this HERE.

More photos of rehairing projects using the same technique from various posts on the forum HERE.

I hope this was useful.

2Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:08 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for getting around to making the tutorial that I didn't have time to make! Hopefully it will help people who were wondering about this process.

She definitely looks so much better with real hair. Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

3Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:17 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for getting around to making the tutorial that I didn't have time to make! Hopefully it will help people who were wondering about this process.

She definitely looks so much better with real hair. Smile
Thank you very much, Sky. I'm glad you approve of the modification. And hope that others find this useful.

4Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:44 am

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Wow, impressive work! The face looked so familiar, but I could not make the connection with the original Hot Toys head. The new hair looks gorgeous. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. Adding Hair to Headsculpt 1f44d

5Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:35 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Great tutorial, Ian.

She looks very good with her new hair, miles better than tbefore.
Also interesting to see how it looks like if one removes those "tiara" things from the foreheads

6Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:27 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Randam Hajile wrote:Wow, impressive work! The face looked so familiar, but I could not make the connection with the original Hot Toys head. The new hair looks gorgeous. Thanks for sharing this tutorial.  Adding Hair to Headsculpt 1f44d

Thank you very much, Ralf. You are not the first one to appreciate the face but not place it immediately. I don't know what that says about the likeness (which I thought was good), but I'm glad you also think it came out well. If I recall, you are the master of molded hair transplants, so perhaps there is a tutorial in your future too? Smile

Valiarde wrote:Great tutorial, Ian.

She looks very good with her new hair, miles better than tbefore.
Also interesting to see how it looks like if one removes those "tiara" things from the foreheads

Thank you very much, Simon. Very glad you like it -- when one modifies such a pretty (and pricey) thing, there is always some natural hesitation. Of course I wasn't going for the exact same thing but with real hair, but still... 
In this instance the "tiara" (or whatever it is) was anchored in the middle of the forehead (and glued or otherwise well stuck there). I had to gently slice through it with an X-acto knife after heating it up a little to help, then heated it up again and dug out the remaining "root." My mistake was trying to fill it in with Vallejo plastic putty, and either my skills or my patience (or both) failed me in getting it perfectly smooth afterwards, but I think I managed to make it sufficiently non-obvious. Repainting the forehead was a challenge, until I figured out I had to put in some gray into the mix.

7Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:31 pm

Chip

Great and useful tutorial Ian .

8Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:43 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Chip wrote:Great and useful tutorial Ian .
Thank you very much, Mark, I'm glad you like it.

9Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:00 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Excellent. I just received this figure today (never saw the movie!), and this will be helpful to redo the hair. Thanks so much.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Adding Hair to Headsculpt 1f10

10Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:40 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2012 wrote:Excellent. I just received this figure today (never saw the movie!), and this will be helpful to redo the hair. Thanks so much.
Thank you very much, Mark, I'm glad you liked it. I couldn't resist picking up the head sculpt, it is too good. And of course I couldn't resist rehairing it (since I wasn't wedded to the specific movie character).
I don't know if you intend to do so or not, but if you remove the diadem, try filling the hole with air-drying sculpey -- it would probably produce better results than the Vallejo plastic putty I used.
And if you are repainting the area afterwards, the mix needs some gray in it to match the face skintone.

11Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:40 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Thanks for the extra tip.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:48 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2012 wrote:Thanks for the extra tip.
You are very welcome. I usually endorse Vallejo products wholeheartedly (these are the acrylics and varnishes I use -- although I still wish their matte varnish were more matte), but this particular product, the plastic putty, has been a little disappointing for me (which is not to say I've been using it to its full potential or optimally).

13Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:51 am

Diana

Diana
This is great, thank you!! She looks fabulous with the new hair. SO much better! Though I gotta admit I love the initial wild look. Laughing 

I'll add this to the TOC of the tutorial section.

14Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:08 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Diana wrote:This is great, thank you!! She looks fabulous with the new hair. SO much better! Though I gotta admit I love the initial wild look. Laughing 

I'll add this to the TOC of the tutorial section.
Thank you very much, and I'm glad you like her -- including the "wild look" Smile

15Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:18 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GF -- I realise you have your own process that works for you, but I keep meaning to suggest trying a version where you don't rinse the hair under a tap. In my experience, the tibetan lamb hair tends to become somewhat matted in texture and appearance when rinsed under running water. It retains a more delicate look if you just use a small spray bottle (filled with distilled or deionised water) to apply the water, and then add a tiny (like, seriously tiny) amount of conditioner that you gently massage in with your fingers. With some hairstyles this doesn't really matter, since perhaps a less polished look is what people might be after, but just thought I'd mention in case you ever wanted to try a different approach.

16Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:32 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:GF -- I realise you have your own process that works for you, but I keep meaning to suggest trying a version where you don't rinse the hair under a tap. In my experience, the tibetan lamb hair tends to become somewhat matted in texture and appearance when rinsed under running water. It retains a more delicate look if you just use a small spray bottle (filled with distilled or deionised water) to apply the water, and then add a tiny (like, seriously tiny) amount of conditioner that you gently massage in with your fingers. With some hairstyles this doesn't really matter, since perhaps a less polished look is what people might be after, but just thought I'd mention in case you ever wanted to try a different approach.
Thank you for the suggestion, Sky. I should look into it. Most of the matting effect is probably due to the amount of conditioner, and it has been difficult for me to use just a little or dilute it just right. Use too much, and it would look like she just stepped out of the pool after diving into it. And, let's face it, so wet a look is overly specific and unsuitable for most things. I sometimes remember to mix in the conditioner with a larger amount of water and then apply it with a cotton q-tip to already moistened hair. This is meant as a sort of compromise. But I'll think of what you suggested next time. Now do I have a spray bottle? And distilled deionized water? Things to add to my list.

17Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:01 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yes, it could be the conditioner — I found that just the tiniest smear on my fingers which I then work into the hair that’s already been sprayed by the water is enough. The method I’m describing is for cases where you might want to retain the individual locks or ringlets of the lamb hair in longer hairstyles. Like I said, that might not be necessary or ideal for all characters, it’s just an optional alternative method.

18Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:27 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Yes, it could be the conditioner — I found that just the tiniest smear on my fingers which I then work into the hair that’s already been sprayed by the water is enough. The method I’m describing is for cases where you might want to retain the individual locks or ringlets of the lamb hair in longer hairstyles. Like I said, that might not be necessary or ideal for all characters, it’s just an optional alternative method.
That is true. In most cases I have not wanted the hair to be too curly (and with the lamb hair that tends to be only further down in the locks), but it is something to keep in mind.

19Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:35 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Yes, it could be the conditioner — I found that just the tiniest smear on my fingers which I then work into the hair that’s already been sprayed by the water is enough. The method I’m describing is for cases where you might want to retain the individual locks or ringlets of the lamb hair in longer hairstyles. Like I said, that might not be necessary or ideal for all characters, it’s just an optional alternative method.
That is true. In most cases I have not wanted the hair to be too curly (and with the lamb hair that tends to be only further down in the locks), but it is something to keep in mind.

Yes, it is for a specific 'look'. I should have shown an example pic.... this is the result of the method I described above:

Adding Hair to Headsculpt Padme_10

Good for curly or wavy hairstyles that emphasis the natural curls of the lamb hair.

20Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:43 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Love all the extra tips. I really need to get off my butt and get back to working on stuff.

21Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:11 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:

Yes, it is for a specific 'look'. I should have shown an example pic.... this is the result of the method I described above:

Adding Hair to Headsculpt Padme_10

Good for curly or wavy hairstyles that emphasis the natural curls of the lamb hair.
Thanks for the example. Once again, your Amidala is stunning.

Stryker2012 wrote:Love all the extra tips. I really need to get off my butt and get back to working on stuff.
I second that, for myself.

22Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:05 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks, GF! I love you

And I also need to get back to my many unfinished re-hairing projects. Sigh. Hopefully soon....

23Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:24 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks, GF! I love you

And I also need to get back to my many unfinished re-hairing projects. Sigh. Hopefully soon....
You're welcome and good luck. I know there is a lot going on in real life, and a queue of projects.
Funny, I have been struggling with a hair job these last few days. Not technically, it actually turned out fine. But I have only one of these heads (it was actually a blank cast of the real thing), and I wanted to have two different looks, but didn't look into swappable wigs (even if I haven't figured out a way to make them myself) by the time I started. So I've experimented with all sorts of add-on partial "toupee" pieces (some of them with the hairs glued to bendy wires for packaging), but nothing seems to both work and look right at the same time. So I've resigned myself to trying to achieve some partial compromise between the two looks I wanted by just adding a bit more hair to the one I already had completed. Still not completely done with the character though...

25Adding Hair to Headsculpt Empty Re: Adding Hair to Headsculpt Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:45 pm

Valiarde

Valiarde
Those are some awesome rootings. I'm impressed. I still have problems with a good fron hairline on some hairstyles. For Aquaman and Bucky you left some molded hair to help with that?

Especially like your Eric Bana. Bot most of them are pretty great. I jost love real hair on figs

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum