OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Studio apartment build project

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:39 pm

r3500vdp

Ha ha! Yes that weight lifting thing has been very useful in a lot of projects Very Happy It's incredibly heavy so great for gluing surfaces, etc.

27Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:52 pm

Stryker2012

Founding Father
It’s coming along nicely. The laser cutting is really clean — wish I had access to that, but I have to do it all by hand.

28Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:00 pm

r3500vdp

Well, all walls are up now. Corners have been filled in with putty, and just waiting for minor touch ups. The next update will either be success or end of project as I'm putting in the floor. It will be actual wood flooring (i.e. not printed paper), and is delivered on 4 sheets to fit the room. Thing is from what I recall the adhesive is so strong that it fitting is a one-chance deal, either ok or disaster. So fingers crossed. Wood floor sheets are in the mail currently coming from the US.

Studio apartment build project - Page 2 PbdEqkm

Studio apartment build project - Page 2 LDC8dSL

29Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:18 pm

davidd

Perhaps you can set the wood floor panels in place using a different, less instantly permanent, adhesive rather than peeling the paper backing off the sticky side of the panels.

30Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:33 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:Perhaps you can set the wood floor panels in place using a different, less instantly permanent, adhesive rather than peeling the paper backing off the sticky side of the panels.
Good suggestion, Dave.

31Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:08 am

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
There are also sellers on Etsy that make a downloadable file of 1/6 scale “flooring” that you print yourself on card stock that you can glue down yourself without worrying about super strong adhesive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Studio apartment build project - Page 2 1f10

32Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:11 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
It's looking really good so far!

33Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:20 pm

r3500vdp

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'll go for the real wood, primarily because of durability and it makes it a bit easier to sand in case of paint spill during the install of the baseboards. Also have door and window on order which is coming in from Ukraine. More updates after the packages arrive.

34Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:06 am

Spartan06

Spartan06
Great paint job on those walls!  

I like the idea of your real wood floors too - I'm planning some using a bundle of 3/8" x 15" wood strips and laying them down one at a time, but I'm not planning on sanding or a putting a nice, slick finish on the first project.  Hopefully, they will add to the stiffness of the base, since I'm using a piece of 5/8" corrugated cardboard for that to hold down the weight.

35Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:09 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
r3500vdp wrote:Thanks for the great suggestions! I'll go for the real wood, primarily because of durability and it makes it a bit easier to sand in case of paint spill during the install of the baseboards. Also have door and window on order which is coming in from Ukraine. More updates after the packages arrive.
Those are quiet good, I also have some wooden stuff from Ukraine seller on etsy. 

Liking your progress so far  Smile

36Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:38 am

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Looking good - I hope the wood flooring is just as you hope. Good idea going for pre-made; I made one by cutting individual wood veneer strips and it was an absolute beast to stick down and keep flat - it took twice the time as the rest of my whole project put together. Panels should be much more cooperative!

37Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:34 am

r3500vdp

Thank you for all feedback. Really appreciate the help and advise. The floor is still on the way but door and window arrived and were installed over the weekend. As forum member Valiarde wrote, very impressed with the realism of the Ukrainian builder of these. Looks exactly like the door I have in our own home! After finishing the project, I'll have to have some kind of background for the window. Right now we're looking at my wife's bicycle, parked in the basement.

Studio apartment build project - Page 2 JlnwWNR

Studio apartment build project - Page 2 IWqzNm7

38Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:39 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Looking really cool!

39Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:19 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Nice. I have a number of items like the door (probably from the same maker). Neat stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

40Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:18 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, looks sharp.

41Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:46 pm

r3500vdp

Thanks!

Yes I agree, our Ukrainian builder delivers some very cool stuff, great craftsmanship.

42Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:37 pm

Diana

Diana
Wow, these look beautiful! Very neat and clean and convincing! Very Happy

43Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:28 pm

r3500vdp

And... the floor is in. That real wood is very nice, it feels like an actual wood floor. I had to use 4 sheets in total. Now as you can see there is a seam running from top to bottom. Unavoidable as cutting along the side edges is very difficult but it is strategically placed as it will be covered by bed and rug so it will be fine. I've already made a small start in the corner with the next step. Now if adding baseboards is similar to the real work, you may hear some light swearing going on for the next 2 weeks as I hate doing baseboards with a vengeance! With the floor and door added, the wall paint is now contrasting nicely and no longer looking white.

Studio apartment build project - Page 2 RszMZcu

44Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:56 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Looks good.

45Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:41 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree, looks good. And I'm glad you thought of a way to hide the seam.

46Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:28 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Nice work!

47Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:01 am

Diana

Diana
Oh that's already looking quite cozy! Beautiful wall color and floor! So.. baseboards, huh? Your cryptonite? Laughing

48Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:20 pm

BAMComix

BAMComix
Diana wrote:Oh that's already looking quite cozy! Beautiful wall color and floor! So.. baseboards, huh? Your cryptonite? Laughing

Balsa wood would be a good item for that, easy to cut too Wink

49Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:00 pm

r3500vdp

Yes the baseboards are made out of balsa so easy to work with. Lots of mitre saw work ahead, plus wood filler, sanding, masking, painting and repeating. But it's fun, glad to see it coming along. Thanks as always for all kind feedback, really appreciated it.

50Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:16 pm

r3500vdp

Also at the same time starting to plan out the room divider. More laser cutting.

51Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:13 pm

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
Good luck with the baseboards (we call them skirting boards?)... the corners are the worst if you are trying to mitre neat angles. Looking good as the room emerges!

52Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:39 pm

Diana

Diana
Admittedly the start was a little too slow for my enjoyment, but I am now getting very excited for every update! I appreciate your level of craftsmanship. I love you

53Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:57 pm

r3500vdp

It's slow going at the moment. Good progress on the baseboards but need to take frequent breaks for sanding, paint drying wood filler and venting frustration, etc. On the room divider, I gave up on laser cutting, turned out to be a bit of a disaster as the fit isn't great and ended up applying more filler than Kim Kardashian. Now trying a new approach and have installed Blender and making a 3D model which my niece's husband will 3D print for me. Learning Blender is fun but not the easiest software in the world.

Studio apartment build project - Page 2 LT4tGlt

54Studio apartment build project - Page 2 Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:11 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Very nice work, it's looking quite convincing!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum