OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Studio apartment build project

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Studio apartment build project Empty Studio apartment build project Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:04 pm

r3500vdp

Normally starting in this hobby, you'd first get the figure and next create a diorama. I'm going to do things the other way around and started with a build of a small studio apartment first. I'll be posting progress over the next months.

First step is simply creating a base out of 5mm MDF and added a frame for added strength and to prevent warping.

Studio apartment build project QI0hxp3

Studio apartment build project Ob5trCg

2Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:27 pm

Visisonor

Visisonor
r3500vdp wrote:I'm going to do things the other way around and started with a build of a small studio apartment first
That, actually, makes a lot of sense Smile
Figures need some place to stay after all.

p.s. Welcome!

3Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:34 pm

r3500vdp

Very true! Thank you!

4Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:08 pm

Spartan06

Spartan06
I'm looking forward to watching your progress.  I have a couple of 1/6 dioramas on the drawing board and most of the materials gathered up, but I haven't felt confident enough or had enough free time to start either one.

A 1/6 studio apartment is a great project and should be very versatile for several different characters!

Welcome aboard and keep us posted.

5Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:25 pm

davidd

davidd
Looks like a solid beginning! The frame to limit warping is a very good idea.

6Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:33 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Really looking forward to seeing this progress. I usually use plywood to build my dios, which helps stop warping. I have even starting using it for my stand alone walls. I do often glue foamboard to hardboard too, which works well.

7Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:05 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I agree that the frame is a good idea, cardboard does warp pretty badly otherwise. Interested to see how it turns out. Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

8Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:35 am

r3500vdp

Thanks so much for the welcome and feedback, much appreciated. Currently working on the backwall, trying to get a nice even paint cover.

9Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:12 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Welcome aboard. You’re off to a good start. Will be interesting to see more progress, and ultimately who ends up in this environment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Studio apartment build project 1f10

10Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:20 am

Diana

Diana
Oh yay! Welcome and thank you for sharing your process! I'm looking forward to seeing this develop!. Smile

11Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:21 am

r3500vdp

Thanks again for the kind welcome and feedback! I have finished what will become the backwall. Took a while to get the painting nice and even (priming, painting, sanding, repeat painting, etc.).  Total size of the room will be 31 x 19 inches. The paint used is Behr spray can with color "Toasty Grey". It looks white currently but will show grey once assembled.

Studio apartment build project FDIrNLT

12Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:55 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Solid work and choice of materials, I'm looking forward to see how it turns out.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Studio apartment build project 1f60e

13Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:59 pm

r3500vdp

Finally able to post an update. Finished the sides. Very lucky to have a friend who has a laser engraver / cutter and we used it to make the cut outs for the door and window. Not that easy to laser cut through 5mm MDF but managed to get it done.

Next step is back to painting and installing. May be some time as weather is not good and getting colder so takes a while to get a good coating.

Studio apartment build project ECv9UrJ

14Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:22 pm

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
That’s good progress, interested to see your creation emerge! Very handy to have access to the laser cutter Smile

15Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:32 pm

r3500vdp

Thanks! Lot of fun to work on.

16Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:19 pm

r3500vdp

Woohoo, the first wall is painted and put into position. Put masking tape on to prevent glue getting into the paint. Using carpenter glue for a strong bond.

Studio apartment build project T4HE6Js

17Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:33 pm

Visisonor

Visisonor
Yay, it's taking shape!

18Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:42 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice, clean work.

19Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:29 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Looking good so far!

20Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:14 am

Diana

Diana
Ooh! Exciting!! We've entered 3D! Very Happy

21Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:59 am

davidd

davidd
You're putting that fitness equipment to good use, I see! Razz

22Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:39 pm

r3500vdp

Ha ha! Yes that weight lifting thing has been very useful in a lot of projects Very Happy It's incredibly heavy so great for gluing surfaces, etc.

23Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:52 pm

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
It’s coming along nicely. The laser cutting is really clean — wish I had access to that, but I have to do it all by hand.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Studio apartment build project 1f10

24Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:00 pm

r3500vdp

Well, all walls are up now. Corners have been filled in with putty, and just waiting for minor touch ups. The next update will either be success or end of project as I'm putting in the floor. It will be actual wood flooring (i.e. not printed paper), and is delivered on 4 sheets to fit the room. Thing is from what I recall the adhesive is so strong that it fitting is a one-chance deal, either ok or disaster. So fingers crossed. Wood floor sheets are in the mail currently coming from the US.

Studio apartment build project PbdEqkm

Studio apartment build project LDC8dSL

25Studio apartment build project Empty Re: Studio apartment build project Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:18 pm

davidd

davidd
Perhaps you can set the wood floor panels in place using a different, less instantly permanent, adhesive rather than peeling the paper backing off the sticky side of the panels.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum