OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

21Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Ephiane

Shocked Wow this get better and better ! Self made flat springs and the gearing mechanism is amazing and Very intresting welding Parts.

22Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Coming together nicely. I like how your figures are always interacting with the build.

23Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:48 pm

BAD WOLF-787

Very Cool looking project!

24Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 am

dadrab

Ephiane wrote:Shocked Wow this get better and better ! Self made flat springs and the gearing mechanism is amazing and  Very intresting welding Parts.

Thank you again, Eph. I did what made sense for the build at the time. Brazing (basically mechanical welding) was a new endeavor for me. Takes a bit of practice, but as I went, I got better at it...thankfully.

Stryker2011 wrote:Coming together nicely. I like how your figures are always interacting with the build.

Much appreciated, Stryker. I figured I needed to do something to get, and try to keep, folks interested. The interaction was about the only thing that came to mind...plus, it was fun.

Mr. Razz wrote:This is coming along nicely...now, as for those two credit stealers, beat them at their own game...let them brag about making the sliders and then have the others ask them to show how they did it... Twisted Evil

Thanks much, Razz. Good idea, too. Between the two of them, they can't even pick up the damn torch.

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Very Cool looking project!

Thank you very much, Brother Wolf. Fiddly in places, but very enjoyable.

Installment VII

Another old friend dropped by one evening.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 32007220318_13a9993e49_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45828930522_659fae3414_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 32007220188_d905b93498_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45828930442_801b974e40_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 32007220088_6516207dbd_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45828930422_1aa78c385e_o

25Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:17 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Damn Dadrab, this really is the way to do a build thread. Your crew of mechaincal helpers only adds to an already fascinating build. And it's cool that you stepped out of your comfort zone on the roll bars. One of the best parts of a project is when you get experimenting with something you don't usually do, and it works. And this really works. Looking great!

26Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Lon Chaney's Wolfman was always my favorite monster as a kid. Had pictures of him all over my walls. I really wish they'd revisit those classic monsters in 1/6. Those were the best. Can't stand all this serial killer nonsense and gratuitous violence you see in "horror" movies today.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 C8485110

27Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:36 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
That's quite a team you've got there, helping out with the build.

28Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:18 am

Allotropos

Allotropos
dadrab wrote:
It wasn't great work, but it was damn fast (to the point that I had to strap the action figures to their seats to keep them from being slung out in hard turns).   Cool

Fantastic build...attach a go-pro onto the buggy and take it out for a spin !
That would be fun !

29Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:44 am

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Indeed very cool team!

30Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:09 am

peter the painter

dadrab, not only does that conversion look extremely complicated but, you've managed to make your posts very entertaining too, great work.

Cheers,

Peter.

31Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:02 pm

dadrab

dadrab
ReverendSpooky wrote:Damn Dadrab, this really is the way to do a build thread.  Your crew of mechaincal helpers only adds to an already fascinating build.  And it's cool that you stepped out of your comfort zone on the roll bars.  One of the best parts of a project is when you get experimenting with something you don't usually do, and it works.  And this really works.  Looking great!

Many thanks, Rev. You're exactly right about the "comfort zone" thing. I had no idea what I was doing (besides wasting MAPP gas) when I started. Fortunately, things improved with practice.

Stryker2011 wrote:Lon Chaney's Wolfman was always my favorite monster as a kid. Had pictures of him all over my walls. I really wish they'd revisit those classic monsters in 1/6. Those were the best. Can't stand all this serial killer nonsense and gratuitous violence you see in "horror" movies today.

Mine too. My dad (remember, sci-fi/horror movie geek) told me about the process Chaney developed (invented, really) for applying a little make-up and filming; apply, film...repeat. Basically stop action, but with a person. If you'll notice, in the old movies when they'd show his face change, he'd always have his head against something that wouldn't move (tree, etc.) The sessions were long and tedious and, after a break, he'd have to get his head back into the exact same place for the next take.

Mr. Razz wrote:I'm still sitting here waiting for the end of this movie, dadrab...lol...

Fear not. There's more below. Thanks for following along and I apologize for the wait.

GubernatorFan wrote:That's quite a team you've got there, helping out with the build.

Thanks very much GF. I kind of pulled out a lot of stops with this one.

Allotropos wrote: Fantastic build...attach a go-pro onto the buggy and take it out for a spin !
That would be fun !

I appreciate that, Allotropos. You're right, that would be fun. I'd probably have torn up a perfectly good Go-Pro, though.  Smile

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Indeed very cool team!

Thanks again, Mr. Wolf. I was trying to keep folks interested, so I'd toss something (someone) a little unusual in from time to time.

peter the painter wrote:dadrab, not only does that conversion look extremely complicated but, you've managed to make your posts very entertaining too, great work.

You're very kind, Peter. Thank you, sir. What I don't have in figures or graphics know-how, I tried to make up with humor and conversation.

Installment VIII

Time for a little update.

As always, I had help whether I wanted it or not...

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904847_e652a2dcb5_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45846108292_b4e28c5e27_o

Since this was a pretty big project, I decided to bring in a supervisor, of sorts. Seems I was having a helluva time keeping the figures on task. It was like herding cats...

So, I brought in "the man."

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904787_122e96906f_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904727_48691cdb5f_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904667_a8d9277316_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45846108182_2f7df67413_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904547_a4b01570bb_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904447_5f09209c8f_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904397_8283793152_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904317_6256226802_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904267_bce88a4921_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904227_c436bfc2d2_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904177_ec63218e54_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45846107862_1ea88349d2_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956903717_3a99c143c1_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956903647_3ea2fe14cf_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45895914851_1278f9290f_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904097_760e974c0e_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956904047_de654b6849_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45846107472_333030e0e6_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956903927_b0f59eb95a_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 30956903827_2f89970f9c_o

32Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:21 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice to see the team growing, too. Smile

33Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:36 pm

PureEnergy

That's certainly an ambitious project.  Your skills make it seem simple, although I know that it is not.

A most entertaining presentation, as well.

Excellent work, sir.

34Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:52 pm

dadrab

dadrab
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice to see the team growing, too. Smile

Thank you, GF. I'm grateful to you.

I figured "what the hell... I have other figures, might as well give them appearances."

PureEnergy wrote:That's certainly an ambitious project.  Your skills make it seem simple, although I know that it is not.

A most entertaining presentation, as well.

Excellent work, sir.

Man, I appreciate that, PureEnergy. This kind of stuff challenges me and I get something out of it in the end...another toy.

Mr. Razz wrote:
Great job on the spare tire holder, dadrab! Hopefully the "Old Guy" can keep this bunch of misfits in line! It seems, tho, that the females that are helping are more responsible than the "boys"...

No apology necessary, either...I haven't seen this before and I like how it's turning out. Post updates whenever you have time to. Trust me, I understand being too busy in real life...lol

Many thanks, Razz. The women keeping the men on task is another little reality laid open for all to inspect. pirat Nah...I don't want to go all "deep" here. It was just fun. Cool

Installment IX

As earlier alluded to, this is a rebuild on an old thread. The sons referred to below have grown up nicely in the ensuing years ... for which I'm truly thankful.

The part about going to an official school visit was true, however, and it did make a nice segue into the question, "why do all the photos look like they were shot in hotel room?" They were. Had many hours to kill on those visits.

Good afternoon, all.

Been rather busy with son #2's baseball season (part of it...), but I made time for an update. Sorry it's been so long coming.

Recently I had occasion to take son #1 to an official college visit. He's a swimmer and the coaches will bring prospective students in for a weekend here and there. On this occasion, we went to East Carolina University in North Carolina. Since I knew I'd be stuck in a hotel room for a couple of days with very little to do (the coaches don't really want the parents around after about the first two hours), I took the project with me to work on. Of course, I had to deal with stowaways...

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44289685930_1687c23f25_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46055956122_7ec1917638_o

It took them a while to acclimate (an acceptable amount of bitching and moaning), but we soon got to work.

I had an el cheapo radio system sitting on the work bench, so I took it along. Instead of sitting still the whole time, I found occasion to search out a hobby shop for a few things and a Radio Shack for a battery.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44289685860_96c74ffcb6_o

On the platform there, the motor and transmission are already screwed into place. The main shaft going to the transfer case is also visable. All that will be under the hood once the body is mounted.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44289685800_9ea8af8ba1_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46055956032_bd5f70d5e4_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44289685690_6a7e3f5cbb_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44289685630_e0350be133_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44289685610_e9995e09c8_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44289685510_45ae1c9336_o

And, test it I did. Truthfully, it was geared really slowly...too slowly in fact. That was about the time I decided to upgrade to LiPo batties so I could run one with 11.0V and conserve space. Still, the tests went well. There was torque to all be damned. The bare chassis would crawl up a curb with no trouble at all. I did considerable driving through the hotel flower garden as that was the most challenging terrain available.

I was actually beginning to have a pretty good time until the powered chassis went dead. The motor would still spin, but there was no movement.

So, I picked up the chassis and went back to the room. I got there just in time to witness this:

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44289685460_6297972a37_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46105802961_2fe89281d1_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44289685390_bbe5df5159_o

Now, that's entertainment. Still, rules are rules and the guys and gals know they're not supposed to smoke. Back to the suitcase he had to go.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46105802881_9d93f9ba1e_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46105802811_0e896b86aa_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44289685260_7f9d0bfdcc_o

I'd needed an extra long section of drive shaft to bridge the distance between the transmission and transfer case. So, I put two Axial axles together with some brass tubing inside the plastic shaft and epoxied it all together. I reckon I discounted the amount of torque being sent to the transfer case. That was a mistake. It spun in two within 10 minutes with far less weight than the finished vehicle should have.

I've since replaced that shaft with a custom-made one in steel. It won't break again.

Stay tuned.

35Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:04 pm

peter the painter

Come on now dadrab, time to come clean, how much of this work is down to you, and how much is down to your army of little helpers? Wink Great work, you are a talented bunch.

Cheers,

Peter.

36Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:22 pm

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Very epic build dadrab great job!

37Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:35 am

dadrab

dadrab
peter the painter wrote:Come on now dadrab, time to come clean, how much of this work is down to you, and how much is down to your army of little helpers? Wink Great work, you are a talented bunch.

Thank you very kindly, Peter. You pegged it...most of the work was on me. When it comes to getting stuff done, the figures are a pretty lousy bunch.  Smile

Mr. Razz wrote:Excellent installment! Question:Did you get the guy's side of the story before putting him back into the suitcase? Maybe he didn't really want a smoke BUT wanted her to "flick his bic"... Twisted Evil

The test run brought out an issue and your "crack team of engineers" got on it and resolved the issue!  cheers

So far, this is a very interesting thread...very much looking forward to the outcome!... Very Happy

Thank you, Razz. There may be more to that "flick his bic" comment than you know.  Suspect

As you probably know, most drive shafts are splined inside of a tube into which another splined solid shaft is slid. That way, when the vehicle goes over bumps and such, the shaft can lengthen or contract a little to avoid component damage. Scale shafts work the same way, but this particular shaft, since it links the motor transmission to the transfer case (which enables 4-wheel drive), is a fixed length. I figured the one I built would be fine, but it was not. A lot of torque there.

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Very epic build dadrab great job!

Much appreciated, Mr. Wolf. Hope you enjoy.

Installment X

In our last episode, the battery and radio gear had been installed and we'd taken a test drive only to spin a makeshift drive shaft.

Well, we got home from the university visit and the figures set about the task of preparing the body for paint.

First up, all the accessories and pieces of body armor that had been built had to be coated. Everything got hit with some 320 grit sandpaper to make sure it was all nice and smooth. Next, we washed it all. Then, we got to spraying.

Here's Old Guy for some commentary:

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46183838911_1f346bd5ce_o

Next, we sanded the body with progressively finer grit papers beginning with 200 and ending with 400. The outside of the body got taped up and masked so the interior could get a shot of black. I use regular old rattle can paint from the auto parts store. The black on the inside is designed for bumpers, so it's got a bit of texture to it.

Here's one of the guys working on the tape job...

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46133226222_775bb5c50d_o

Of course, the spray painting didn't take very long. I believe he was a bit upset at the next step...

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44366587400_355a127bd9_o

What 'cha gonna do???

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46133226042_fb66b7e5f7_o

Once completely dried, the inside had to be taped up so color could go on the body. I have no paint booth, so I choose a nice calm day and set my work up in full sun. Spray paint likes sun and open spaces. The paint will "flash" off nicely outside and the warm sun helps get drying started. As long as there's no breeze, there's little chance of trash blowing onto the paint. Be careful not to leave it out too long, though. Bugs seem to be attracted to drying paint and they're a pain to sand out.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44366587340_babc8818fd_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44366587280_a458f73e15_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46133225742_900a45ab3d_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46133225672_54b05fabb4_o

After the color, three coats of clear were applied. That will offer a little protection to the top coat.

When everything was dry, we all settled in to admire our handiwork.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44366587140_34436a5e11_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46133225522_d4e79d7f07_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44366587090_c877b3887f_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46133225372_4486c6e3fb_o

Until next time, all...thank you for watching.

38Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:36 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very well done. I was distracted and for a moment thought Sons #1 and #2 had accidentally trod all over it and it was a car wreck. But after the tape came off, I was able to see it in its true and pristine glory. Smile

39Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:01 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looking awesome. Lot of fine work, and funny story.

40Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:45 pm

dadrab

dadrab
GubernatorFan wrote:Very well done. I was distracted and for a moment thought Sons #1 and #2 had accidentally trod all over it and it was a car wreck. But after the tape came off, I was able to see it in its true and pristine glory. Smile

Thanks again, GF. I reckon I wandered off in the weeds a little with the comment about my boys. Suffice it to say that they've turned out OK, thus far and I'm proud of them.

The color on this body turned out very well and the paint has held up except for the obvious spots where paint is going to get rubbed despite being careful when running. I've never been one to beat hell out of one of my builds. I'll leave that for someone who enjoys redoing their work over and over. I don't.

Stryker2011 wrote:Looking awesome. Lot of fine work, and funny story.

I really appreciate, Stryker. Oddly enough, looking back on it, I put damn near as much work into the photos and story as I did in the build.

Before moving on...I figured I'd make this installment a "two-fer." Both are short, so what the hell? Besides, I wanted to get the animation of the driver in this posting. Hope to get it wrapped here up by Christmas.

Installments XI and XII

Try though I did, I couldn't get that sorry bunch to help me with the following, so I had to go it alone.

The steering wheel was pretty "plain" looking. I contemplated making a new one, but scrapped that idea when I tried the following and really liked the way it looked.

I took some OD colored heavy nylon twine and simply wrapped it around the "business" part of the wheel. It was finished off with a light coat of superglue.

Here's the result:

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 32445906238_547f924179_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46267549682_66ddaa3bf5_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46267549602_940b109306_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46267549482_f70c231206_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 32445906148_8f04fced7a_o

And, of course, we can't have a restoration of an old rig like this without some leather (very thin, from an old purse my bride donated to the cause) on the seats, right? So, here we go, leather seats:

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 32445906128_40e452d0bc_o

(I know, I know...smart ass...

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 32445906108_8a24c69845_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 32445906078_601099f088_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 32445906068_0fd1a40787_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 32445906028_ec921a3f8d_o

I've always wanted an RC vehicle that had an RC animated driver as well. I figured this was as good a time as any.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45646343524_ba13f6ba95_o

Despite our boy's protests, I removed his head (not a simple "pop-off-and-on" type. I cut a plate from his back using my trusty Dremel.

From there, I could access the slotted tabs that held the head on. With his head off, I ground out the tabs, thereby making space for a microservo. In the above photo, you can see how I altered his neck post to fit a circular servo horn.

Below, you can see how the servo fits in the chest cavity. It's not pretty, but I used hot-melt glue because of it's quick drying properties and the fact that I had to get the servo in the correct place in one shot. The glue gave me a little wiggle room, but didn't take two hours to set up.

The hole in the middle of the horn is what attaches it to the servo and it's splined to mate with the splines on the servo shaft. I was hoping for a friction fit and it worked. Still, his head comes off pretty easily, so I might be forced to make further alterations (i.e. put a screw in to hold the horn to the shaft. Very easy operation).

My apologies for the sloppy looking work, but it's going to be covered up by clothing anyway, so what the hell...

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 44552381510_153c3b2c1e_o

And, then he found the servo cord... It wasn't pretty.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45646343384_0f3927535b_o

Our boy was raising so much hell, I just put him in a drawer for a while to cool down some. When I went back to get him, he'd calmed a bit and was far more rational.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 32497444878_5f2bf8c3e3_o

Here you can see the top of the servo in relation to where his head will be.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45646343354_2bfded5053_o

And, this is how the surgery turned out:

I explained to him that he'd be drivng the Jeep all the time, hence the modifications.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 32497444728_5bd291fd14_o

Laughing Laughing I, somehow, don't believe him...

41Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:55 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Nice work on all the details, and very impressive animated driver.

42Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:07 pm

PureEnergy

All certainly well worth the effort...

Amazing! Fantastic work, brother.

43Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:47 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Still just loving this build (and the accompanying commentary from your assistants). The steering wheel looks great (love those type of little details) the chairs are perfect looking, and I dig the animated driver. Does his head turn automatically in the direction he's turning, or does it operate interdependently, with it's own control on the remote?

44Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:43 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That. Is. Fantastic! Having his head turn like that is brilliant. Really looking forward to seeing this whole thing in actin (probably have to film in slow motion).

45Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:22 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
Heh. Reminds me about the urban myth of the dude who woke up in a bath tub with his kidneys removed.

Animatronics works best when it is subtle. This is a good example.

46Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:53 pm

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
The jeep's look good and animated driver is very Cool!

47Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:53 pm

kyekye

kyekye
impressive engineering overall!

48Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:45 am

dadrab

dadrab
GubernatorFan wrote:Nice work on all the details, and very impressive animated driver.

Thank you, GF. I've always wanted to try it and I'm glad I did.

PureEnergy wrote:All certainly well worth the effort...  

Amazing!  Fantastic work, brother.  

I appreciate that, PE. Took a good several hours to put the plan together, but it worked out OK.

ReverendSpooky wrote:Still just loving this build (and the accompanying commentary from your assistants).  The steering wheel looks great (love those type of little details) the chairs are perfect looking, and I dig the animated driver.  Does his head turn automatically in the direction he's turning, or does it operate interdependently, with it's own control on the remote?

You're very kind, Rev. Thank you.

Not sure where the idea for the steering wheel came from...just popped into my clouded brain and I started wrapping.

The driver's head operates on its own channel. I started to do it the way you suggested, but had extra channels to play with, so...there you have it. The steering wheel also turns, but it IS wired to go along with the wheels.

Stryker2011 wrote:That. Is. Fantastic! Having his head turn like that is brilliant. Really looking forward to seeing this whole thing in actin (probably have to film in slow motion).

Thank you very much, Stryker.

You're absolutely right about the slow motion. You'll see what I mean.

shazzdan wrote:Heh. Reminds me about the urban myth of the dude who woke up in a bath tub with his kidneys removed.

Animatronics works best when it is subtle. This is a good example.

Many thanks, shazzdan.

I agree with your assessment. Too much of this sort of animation looks jerky and fake. I tried to stay away from that.

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:The jeep's look good and animated driver is very Cool!

Thank you, Mr. Wolf. I've seen it done a couple of times since, but never before. Now, I'm not saying I did it first, but just had never seen it done.

kyekye wrote:impressive engineering overall!

Much appreciated, kyekye. Seat-of-the-pants engineering, but it worked out all right.

Installment XIII

You guys know about the best laid plans...

I'd hoped to get this one done by Christmas, but with the holiday activity and family visiting, I just didn't get off my sorry ass and do it. 'Nuff said.

I reckon it's about time I wrapped up this build. I've been working on it on-and-off for several month's now, but about three weeks ago, got down to cases.

I didn't like the original cage I'd build for it, so I pulled it apart and remade it. I'm still not much with a torch, but the newer incarnation looks a little better. It probably won't hold up in a "horrendous crash" as they used to say on The Dukes Of Hazard, but it'll do for what I need.

There are a bunch of little bits that have been added. See for yourselves. Roll the pix:

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45954819494_2e780781d3_o

The toys wanted some non-skid texture on the hood, fenders and door steps, so I accommodated them. It's actually some high-quality skateboard deck texture cut to fit. It comes in sheets, so really easy to work with.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45954819414_91ef7687dc_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 39714672213_9b420d127e_o

And, how about a real mirror for that rear view. I found some at Hobby Lobby that were just right.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45954819234_9f5d7c1330_o

Found the lantern at HL, too.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45954819154_7c5210dfc6_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 39714672033_018ff0514b_o

Here's an interesting tidbit. I really wanted some retro looking tail light lens, but something a little different. So, I heisted a couple of peppers from a string of old red-pepper lights we got from somewhere and cut the tips off them. If I cut them at the correct spot, they fit just right inside the light bezel on the factory body molding. I'd already drilled a hole inside the light bezel areas and installed some LED bulbs. The pepper tips fit over the LEDs and inside the bezels so sweet... Turned out rather art deco looking.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679390371_a971688b1e_o

In the reflector bezels, I put some reflector material. If one uses a regular old paper hole-punch to pop some holes in a strip of reflective tape, the part that pops out fits inside the bezel perfectly. Too easy...

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 39714672003_4d2c6601f4_o

And, here's a top view:

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679390321_22410d1582_o

I believe I'll turn it over to Old Guy to be the tour guide for a while.

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 39714671873_3bc2489b09_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679390181_3c6a1c295c_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679390271_d2d9aeed13_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 39714671803_ab44298b0c_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679390131_e9ccdc7789_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45954818634_c83dcc6204_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679390051_fdba22c012_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389991_6baeff4c8e_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45954818464_58e8853c16_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389871_252b7b16af_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389851_cdded8ea47_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389781_4ef1d76a7a_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389691_7ff3b89ed3_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45954818104_65f4695659_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389571_a257b439ec_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389511_d200e4f207_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389451_8c6bde0937_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389441_6c8dfb27bb_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45954817724_9a51791694_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389331_f11e5a20ff_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45954817594_9935893885_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389191_d5b5987535_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389081_0490357525_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679389031_8dd0a014a1_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45954817324_5ae5b9728c_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 46679388871_79b1cc39e6_o

Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 <a href=Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 45954817204_0ca7391627_o

Well, that about does it. I'm going to try and toss a video out there since I recently took the Jeep and a camera on a bit of a trail ride.

I'm very pleased with all the torque. No problem pulling a pretty steep grade.

Oh yeah, meant to write about it earlier... I had to replace the steering servo. That piece of junk I used for a place holder during the build just wouldn't cut it. It was replaced with a Savox sporting about 300 oz. of torque. Now the steering's nice and true.

The Jeep is fairly devoid of meaningful articulation, though. It's rather like a real Willys, but I'd still like a little something more. Perhaps those leaf springs will soften up some with use.

Thanks for looking all. Feel free to comment, complain, criticize, grouse, demean or whatever...

49Building an RC sixth scale Jeep - Page 2 Empty Re: Building an RC sixth scale Jeep Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm

dadrab

dadrab
As I strive to be a man of my word, I'll toss out three decent videos I've shot and edited since completion of the build. And, if you're in a position to do so, turn the volume up on your computer. Good tunes to accompany the vids.

Thanks to all for following along.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum