OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Empty Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Tarexmd

Tarexmd
Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Whatsa11

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] 20181212

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] 20181213

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Missio10

Mission: Impossible used to be my favorite series to watch, and while I love all the new movies (except MI:2), the first one IMO is still unmatched.

The scene in Langley is quite possibly my favorite M:I moment, and I aimed to re-create it with this Diorama. As with all my other Dioramas, I only have a 14"x14" space in the cabinet.

I started with a Phicen M30 body, as any taller one A) Didn't resemble Tom Cruise B) Didn't fit in the space when spread out.

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Phicen10

I initially bought black pants and a shirt, but it was too loose compared to the scene, and I decided to dress him in a tight black leotard bodysuit instead.

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Black_10

I gave Nic Cage the shirt and pants for The Rock Diorama: https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t939-the-rock-1996-diorama

Then for the tricky part, the floor LED. I had to find a 14" flat LED with cool-white, since warm light looked terrible:

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] 20180910

After long searches online and at several stores every weekend, the closest match was this 14" cool white LED but with a protruding dome-shaped cover. It wasn't flat, and wouldn't work:

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] 20180911

So the solution was to combine BOTH. I removed the flat 14" panel from the warm white LED, and retrofitted it on the cool-white coverless LED. As the LED had a big bulging part in the middle (which is why it couldn't be flat) I had to raise it up using 4 nails wrapped in black electrical tape to prevent light leakage:

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] 20180912

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] 20180914

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Img-2010

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] 20180913

As you can see, I had drawn previously the honeycomb floor outline onto the 14" panel. I covered it in thin black electrical tape.

The headsculpt I originally ordered hadn't arrived, which was a good thing because it sucked but was my best choice. A far better one popped up on ebay, I got it, along with bluetooth earphone/mic and glasses, which I hated as they were too thick:

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] C7rdx710
Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] 3sm86w10

So I got new glasses, kept the bluetooth speakers, and got headgear to better resemble the movie:

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] 20181121

Now, all what's left was too add my "second level lighting". All my living room dioramas have two levels of lighting. When I'm watching a movie or want the living room dark, the bright LED light of this diorama floor is too distracting, but when I turn off the light it's all dark. So my idea was to add real elements that lit from this scene, and there were three other sources of lights in the scene: 1) He had a small flashlight/headlamp next to his left eye, and he wore the a sound-meter thing on his left hand with red bands of light. The third was the computer screen.

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Whatsa13
Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Whatsa12

So thanks to the amazing Evan Designs, I bought a tiny pico LED for the face, and glued it on, and I got 4 small red ones for his arm gadget:

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Whatsa15
Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Whatsa16
Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Whatsa14

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Whatsa17
Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Whatsa19
Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Whatsa18

So what's left?

My girlfriend is programming this 1-inch LCD display to show the NOC list or something when it's turned on, and I'll put it inside a small computer...

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Whatsa20

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] Fkfdaz11

I might end up building a better computer/mainframe complex for the diorama, as I feel the computer looks a bit too simple.

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] 2WXFmg0

delusional

delusional
Way cool dude!

PureEnergy

That’s impressive, T.

Superb work on replicating that floor.  

Outstanding.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beautifully done! And thank you for taking us through the process of how you put it together. I love that scene too, and the signature music score.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Really well done dio. Lot of work for something that looks so simple. Great job.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Mission: Impossible (1996) Diorama [WIP] C8485110

Tarexmd

Tarexmd
Thanks guys. Yeah I love it so much.

Rogerbee

Rogerbee
Founding Father
Nice one,

You should put a sound chip and speaker in there so you can play the theme. I just can't imagine that without it.

CHEERS!

dadrab

dadrab
Quite well done. Thanks for showing us.

blackpool

blackpool
I love this!!!! The attention to details is killer, and I'm always in awe when the technic goes high level with leds and drivers and wires hidden everywhere, that sounds like magic to me!

Really fantastic creation, the accuracy to the movie, the posing, the backlit floor!!!! All this is high level of awesomeness! Thanks for sharing!

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Those tiny LEDs look absolutely fantastic! Topnotch work!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
AMAZING attention to detail, very impressed! :O

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Peaches

Peaches
Oh that really is cool! Can't wait to see what you come up with next Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum