OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

JohnByng

An interesting thing about hoplites is that the name is often said to derive from an ancient Greek word for shield. Others say that it means "arms" as in man at arms, but one article said that it is a generic word for equipment and as the hoplite is a warrior, in that context it means military equipment.

shazzdan

I made the aspis and spolas myself. The tutorial section was looking a little sparse so I added one for the shield. Hope it helps.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1198-hoplite-shield#15763

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 8pgTMkV

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

shazzdan

JohnByng wrote:An interesting thing about hoplites is that the name is often said to derive from an ancient Greek word for shield. Others say that it means "arms" as in man at arms, but one article said that it is a generic word for equipment and as the hoplite is a warrior, in that context it means military equipment.

Originally the Greeks had three words for shield; Homer uses aspis, sakkos, and rhinos. By the time the hoplite came on the scene, they were only using aspis. Hoplon means "gear" or "equipment". Militarily, the ancient Greeks used it to refer to "war gear" or the entire panoply. IIRC modern Greek uses hoplon to refer to firearms.

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/OneSixthArsenal

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Apparently hoplon was sometimes used as a synonym for aspis (the oval shield), and also for armament (armor and even weaponry) in general; so a hoplites is someone who is (relatively heavily) armed.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

TheVanBeard

I love that this conversation has gotten into the historical aspects of things. I am a fan of 300 in the sense that it is a mythological image of what truly happened. The 300 Spartans and the battle of Thermopylae have become a legend of sorts in Western culture. And that is why Frank Miller did what he did. I know it isn’t historically accurate, but love it represents. I personally have dove deeper into Greek history to learn what actually happened. I listened to Hardcore History with Dan Carlin and he makes a point often. History is so hard to derive fact from. We have only bits and pieces, things from one point of view, etc. I listened to his 3 part series called King of Kings because he covers Persia and Greece in it. He talked at length about the combat and the Phalanx. The point he made about it that I appreciated the most was that we have no frame of reference for ancient combat. Spears, swords, sheilds, etc. We have no idea what that actually was like psychologically. And I find that to be super interesting.

TheVanBeard

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 78fbe010
ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 374a3410
ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 0f761110

Finally got my TBLeague Spartan Warrior Goddess. The ACI helmet came today. I added a piece of foam inside to help it fit her head better. I also purchased a aci hoplite uniform too.

TheVanBeard

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 88dc9610
ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 19d00510

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Hmmm. A little too big for a female head; the eyes and nose part line up pretty good, but the rest of it seems over-sized.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
True enough, but on those rare occasions when a woman donned a (male) helmet, it would have looked a little oversized, I suppose. Then again, a goddess might have had her own. The best solution would be to get the smallest Corinthian helmet possible; but these are probably all oversized so that they can fit on something larger than a (male) plastic pinhead. (The irony is that 1:1 Corinthian helmet end up looking undesized when compared to what we expect.) It is a quandry. But I like the figure anyway -- just remember to keep it fantasy. Smile

Kynaithos Homerides

Kynaithos Homerides
shazzdan wrote:I made the aspis and spolas myself. The tutorial section was looking a little sparse so I added one for the shield. Hope it helps.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1198-hoplite-shield#15763

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 8pgTMkV

Fantastic work! I am trying to make a spolas myself as well as some jerkins and pteruges as fake leather peels too much!

Kynaithos Homerides

Kynaithos Homerides
GubernatorFan wrote:TheVanBeard, welcome.

This might not be exactly what you're aiming at, but TBLeague bodies work well enough with the ACI "historical" Greek armor (and presumably with any fantasy variation you might create; they might have gone that way, considering that the Gorgon's head decorating the cuirass has been reinterpreted as a male head in their rendition). This is actually one of the main reasons I began to collect these bodies. I had one of the hoplite 2.0 sets lying around and used it on the M33 body and a newly converted head (Mark, this one is for you, too Wink ). Here are some photos and comments.

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 Acitbl10

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 Acitbl11

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 Acitbl12

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 Acitbl13

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 Acitbl14

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 Acitbl15

ACI Accessories with TBLeague Figurines - Page 2 Acitbl16

The cuirass works very well (unless you go for the muscle armor with its damn pins). The helmet works well, provided you find a head suitable for it (and the one I used wasn't the smallest, either). The greaves, shield, scabbard, and sword work without issues. The tunic is a very tight fit and I wouldn't be surprised if you see some of the stitches going. I would also worry about staining, though the black one I used did not stain the figure in the half hour or so that I kept it on for the photos. The set comes with a slightly modified set of Roman caligae; I did not attempt to use them, because they are not quite accurate (and hoplites generally fought barefoot), and also because TBLeague feet tend to be a tad big for the footwear in this scale. If they don't fit and you want to use footwear for your figures, I recommend borrowing some WorldBox feet for that purpose (ACI work too, but they will probably not match in color).

Hope this helps. For a more fantsy-oriented look, check out the photos in my Spartan Goddess of War review (HERE), although her companions are Hot Toys and part-TBLeague/part-Star Ace.

This looks great! My black hoplite (I am thinking of bleaching the tunic a little bit or swapping it as the ancient Greeks didn't really have a black for clothes but darker browns and blues) has the body they used for the Steve Reeves. Not sure if this is the same one? It has made him shorter than the actual ACI figure that came with the armour but it all fits well, apart from the fact that the khiton is tight on the shoulders... but I might actually modify it to make it look less like an oversized t-shirt with those short sleeves as in reality they were not actually like that, and the khiton just sometimes looked like a short sleeved tunic due to the effect of the pining, broaching or the style of the armour.

Ephiane

Ephiane
Welcome to the Herd, Kynaithos and van Beard ! Nice Thread

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Kynaithos wrote:
This looks great! My black hoplite (I am thinking of bleaching the tunic a little bit or swapping it as the ancient Greeks didn't really have a black for clothes but darker browns and blues) has the body they used for the Steve Reeves. Not sure if this is the same one? It has made him shorter than the actual ACI figure that came with the armour but it all fits well, apart from the fact that the khiton is tight on the shoulders... but I might actually modify it to make it look less like an oversized t-shirt with those short sleeves as in reality they were not actually like that, and the khiton just sometimes looked like a short sleeved tunic due to the effect of the pining, broaching or the style of the armour.

Thank you very much! Yes, indeed, black doesn't make much sense for this type of ancient Greek clothing. A khiton is really easy to make, as you see in the other thread. The Steve Reeves body by TBLeague was an M30 (or a version thereof), which is indeed a little shorter than most, including this one, M33. M30 is also intended to depict a slightly more muscular physique, although given the size of the two it ends up being a different type of muscular physique. I actually came across a few more of my custom Greeks which I will post, though mostly from a review of the unfortunate M31 body.

Ephiane wrote:Welcome to the Herd, Kynaithos and van Beard ! Nice Thread

Thanks, Ephiane.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum