OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

21Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:25 pm

Theboo-bomb

You know, I've been working on my fantasy figures for some time now and I thought it would be nice to dress one in a way that looked different and then I get on here and I see this thread. Ain't that amazing? Thanks for the photos and the how to, I'll most likely make use of one of these. 👍

22Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:12 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:You know, I've been working on my fantasy figures for some time now and I thought it would be nice to  dress one in a way that looked different and then I get on here and I see this thread. Ain't that amazing? Thanks for the photos and the how to, I'll most likely make use of one of these. 👍

Thank you very much! I hope it is useful. You can also use fabric markers to draw patterns and decorations on the cloth -- just make sure you wait for them to dry thoroughly before letting them make contact with a body (ideally, you want to iron the cloth to make extra sure that the fabric marker dye is set, although not every cloth is iron-friendly). These are all very simple, but can serve as a basis for pre-modern clothing and you can always experiment with more complex shapes or even sew or fabric-glue extra pieces onto the clothing.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

23Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
As for the use of fabric markers (and in one case little pieces of gold-colored duct tape) for ancient/fantasy clothing, here are a couple of examples:

Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 Thmin212
more HERE

and

Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 Odinss22
more HERE

Hope this helps.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

24Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:17 am

Skippy

Kaustic Plastik posted yesterday that they were going to make Hoplites:

Kaustic Plastik
18 hrs ·
From our prototype Laboratory, by Danilo Leo. So do you like to have some Hoplites in your collection? 😉

Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 85048110

I held off buying any ancient Greek warriors. I wasn't really tempted when ACI made them, since their Romans had largely been 'monkey see, monkey do', jumping on the coat tails of Kaustic Plastik but not really knowing what they were doing. Their mix and match gladiators were a prime example. (ACI's Roman Legionary was their standout figure, even if they did copy the lorica segmentata from a 1:1 Indian made replica).

However, if Kaustic Plastik apply their usual attention to historical detail then these could be ones to get.

25Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:41 am

shazzdan

shazzdan
KP's attention to historical detail is not exactly the best. They have only produced one Roman that is close to authentic.

26Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:44 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Thank you, Asta. I think KP has tried harder than most other sixth-scale companies to get historical details reasonably right. Issues with the historical reconstruction there are substantially (though perhaps not exclusively -- I can't recall every detail) questions of historical interpretation, where there are different schools of thought. Since KP has relied on the expertise of Italian archaeologists, their opinions are naturally reflected in the products. Ultimately, there is far more good or right here than otherwise, and (as we can say for just about any company or product) we can at least get plenty of nice parts for kitbashing and customizing. My main concern is the fairly persistent problem with quality -- their products often fall apart while being handled and require frequent recourse to Gorilla super glue (if I recall, that was even suggested in a recent warning slip in one of their most recent sets). Anyway, I look forward to what they do with their hoplites, although I'm not exactly loving the style that was shown.

27Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:38 pm

Allotropos

Allotropos
extremely informative !!
thanks for sharing !

28Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:14 am

Skippy

GubernatorFan wrote:Thank you, Asta. I think KP has tried harder than most other sixth-scale companies to get historical details reasonably right. Issues with the historical reconstruction there are substantially (though perhaps not exclusively -- I can't recall every detail) questions of historical interpretation, where there are different schools of thought. Since KP has relied on the expertise of Italian archaeologists, their opinions are naturally reflected in the products. Ultimately, there is far more good or right here than otherwise, and (as we can say for just about any company or product) we can at least get plenty of nice parts for kitbashing and customizing. My main concern is the fairly persistent problem with quality -- their products often fall apart while being handled and require frequent recourse to Gorilla super glue (if I recall, that was even suggested in a recent warning slip in one of their most recent sets). Anyway, I look forward to what they do with their hoplites, although I'm not exactly loving the style that was shown.

Fabio said it was the quality of the glue they were permitted to use in the factory.  The plates on the belt feel like they're tacked on like post-it notes!

It's not so bad once you know what to expect, as then you can glue the pieces on properly before you start putting them together. It was a little disheartening to have bits fall off after spending time assembling.

They posted another photo:

Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 84342110

There's something about the quality of these, maybe the graininess of the photos or the size of the wooden stands, that makes them look 1/12 rather than 1/6.

29Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:45 am

Kynaithos Homerides

Kynaithos Homerides
What a wonderful thread! It is nice to see others with such a care and regard for the actual historical fashion of ancient Greece!

These outfits look perfect! I have not nearly down as much in this scale, though I have made an exomis, khiton, khitoniskos and himation in 1/18 scale for the Boss Fight Greeks. Including for my 1/18 Herakles! I have not yet made female fashion, sadly, but plan to.  Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 53813310

An older version. He is lacking his club and doesn't have a more suitable shield (which I took from a Boss Fight Achilles as Herakles's shield, as per Hesiod, looked similar).

30Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancient Greek Clothing in Sixth Scale Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:13 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Kynaithos wrote:What a wonderful thread! It is nice to see others with such a care and regard for the actual historical fashion of ancient Greece!

These outfits look perfect! I have not nearly down as much in this scale, though I have made an exomis, khiton, khitoniskos and himation in 1/18 scale for the Boss Fight Greeks. Including for my 1/18 Herakles! I have not yet made female fashion, sadly, but plan to.  

An older version. He is lacking his club and doesn't have a more suitable shield (which I took from a Boss Fight Achilles as Herakles's shield, as per Hesiod, looked similar).

I'm glad you like the thread and that I haven't committed any egregious errors, apparently. Smile 1/18 scale cloth outfits? Perhaps more economical but certainly more challenging. And I thought 1/6 ones were difficult. Remember fabric markers for some designs on the clothing, although in small scales that would be more difficult to use. Very nice 1/18 Herakles. Are you painting geometric pottery?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum