OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question about hair swapping

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Question about hair swapping Empty Question about hair swapping Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:43 pm

Peaches

Peaches
I found a head that works for a character, but the hair is wrong, and it doesn't come with a different hair style.  Seems my choices are to dye the hair or swap out with a similar style/same make doll.  I'm wondering if that is possible?  The doll is a DS Toys head. Will the head backs be interchangeable?  Thanks Smile

Also, does anyone know what fiber they use for hair? Saran? Nylon? Thanks Smile

2Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:19 am

PureEnergy

If I understand your first question, the various brands of Sculpts and Wigging are not universal - although I have been fortunate enough to make most work together, with perhaps a bit of touch-up here and there.  Of course, there is the occasional misfit - that is different to such a degree that it simply will not work on your chosen Head - or, at least not without some seemingly painstaking modification.  

But I’m no expert; in fact, I'm about as new to this as you are, and I would probably recommend that you wait for the veteran advice before making your determination and / or placing an order.  

From my other experiences, however, I can offer you another option; I have used fleece and mohair to wig Sculpts quite successfully.  There is a method to it, and I would not call it anything other than painstaking and certainly very tedious - but it remains, nonetheless, an option.

Best of luck and sincere regards to you, Peaches.

3Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:18 am

Peaches

Peaches
Thank you so much, @PureEnergy!  I thought I wrote a thank you already, LOL, but must have forgotten to hit the send button again scratch  I just did a bunch of reading.  Most likely the hair is made of Saran or Nylon.  If it's Nylon, I can use Rit dye on it.  If not, the hair will go bad, LOL.  I guess I could take my chances and try dying it (I need to get rid of the curls anyway, and a boiling pot of rit dye ought to do it, LOL)  otherwise, I can then just re-root with whatever I can find.  I do have some nice mohair I could use, so... but it'll look different from the other dolls....  I'll probably have to reroot everyone then Razz

4Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:32 am

PureEnergy

My pleasure.  I would have guessed at nylon, but without any sort of certainty.

You may want to consider the alternate method that I had suggested, although it does require the "P word" (Patience).   Wink

But given the specifics of your desire, it may be your best bet...

5Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:26 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Can you provide a picture of the head in question, Peaches? I have about a hundred female heads, and I may have the one you’re enquiring about; most of these heads are made with either Saran (the most common) or Nylon — though I know Mattel has been cheeping out over the last 10 years or so and using Acetate.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Question about hair swapping C8485110

6Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:18 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thank you for asking this question, Peaches, it's something I've been wondering myself. Please let us know how the boiling method turns out for straightening the hair, as it's something I've considered attempting (and likewise, boil-perming).

Fingers crossed, for whatever method you end up using! : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

7Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:57 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Okay. I just checked a couple of the DS Toys head sculpts that I have, and the scalp pieces are not removable. They glued them in with some seriously strong stuff. If you wanted to change the hair, you'd have to shave the head and use a wig, or glue the hair onto the bald sculpt.

8Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:51 pm

Peaches

Peaches
Oh wow, thanks, @Stryker2011, I appreciate knowing this as there is nothing like knowledge when planning something Very Happy

9Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:40 am

Ephiane

Ephiane
I do all the Hairstyles of my figures by myself with mohair. The point is Hair for a 1:6 figure must be smaller than normal hair. It´s very easy and You can do it in Your own style

10Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:02 am

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Ephiane wrote:I do all the Hairstyles of my figures by myself with mohair. The point is Hair for a 1:6 figure must be smaller than normal hair. It´s very easy and You can do it in Your own style

I second this. I do the same thing, it's pretty easy, and is definitely the way to go. I keep thinking I should do a tutorial on wigging a head.

11Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:28 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ReverendSpooky wrote:I keep thinking I should do a tutorial on wigging a head.  

Yes, please. Would be great to have a tutorial like that here; it takes a bit of work to find really good ones on the Net.

12Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:40 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ReverendSpooky wrote:
Ephiane wrote:I do all the Hairstyles of my figures by myself with mohair. The point is Hair for a 1:6 figure must be smaller than normal hair. It´s very easy and You can do it in Your own style

I second this.  I do the same thing, it's pretty easy, and is definitely the way to go.  I keep thinking I should do a tutorial on wigging a head.  

Oh gosh, yes PLEASE. 1/6 hair is my nemesis. -_- I HATE styling it with a fiery passion, and don't even know if I could have the patience to actually change the hair, but such a tutorial would nonetheless be appreciated.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

13Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:21 pm

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
I love Mosekyto on YT’s wig tutorials - they’re super easy to follow, and while she makes them for Monster High dolls, the same techniques are used on other figures.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlNQgfXniaheeAi_u4msJXp2WGc3JgVsA

14Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Lynkhart wrote:I love Mosekyto on YT’s wig tutorials - they’re super easy to follow, and while she makes them for Monster High dolls, the same techniques are used on other figures.

Thanks for posting that link. I’m going to have to watch all of these.

15Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Thank You for that Link, Lynkhart. The Job on the hair is phenomenal of course. But there is a really easy way. There are MOHAIR HAIR LINES now, You can get at the Bay. Not necessary anymore to glue it milimeter by milimeter.

16Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:50 am

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan

ReverendSpooky wrote:

I second this.  I do the same thing, it's pretty easy, and is definitely the way to go.  I keep thinking I should do a tutorial on wigging a head.  

Stryker2011 wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:I keep thinking I should do a tutorial on wigging a head.  

Yes, please. Would be great to have a tutorial like that here; it takes a bit of work to find really good ones on the Net.

skywalkersaga wrote:
ReverendSpooky wrote:

Oh gosh, yes PLEASE. 1/6 hair is my nemesis. -_-  I HATE styling it with a fiery passion, and don't even know if I could have the patience to actually change the hair, but such a tutorial would nonetheless be appreciated.

Lynkhart wrote:I love Mosekyto on YT’s wig tutorials - they’re super easy to follow, and while she makes them for Monster High dolls, the same techniques are used on other figures.

Ephiane wrote:Thank You for that Link, Lynkhart. The Job on the hair is phenomenal of course. But there is a really easy way. There are MOHAIR HAIR LINES now, You can get at the Bay. Not necessary anymore to glue it milimeter by milimeter.

This is one of the BEST YouTube channels I have seen in a very long time! Thank you so much for linking to it!
I think the hair on all of the figures posted by this group look amazing.
I have finally started putting together some female characters after years of delay, the only thing keeping me from posting is the poor quality hair they all currently have. I'm really hoping to apply some techniques to one or more of them, until then, I have at least the one "plastic hair" figure for now! Lol.
Thank you all for posting your amazing work and linking to other talented people. It gives great incentive and encouragement to me.

17Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:12 am

actionfiguremovies2

actionfiguremovies2
Here's the site I like to use to purchase wigs. For those who might question their lack of hair making skills. Like myself....

http://www.facetsboutique.com/Size-4_c_13.html

18Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:18 pm

Peaches

Peaches
I had no idea so many suggestions and tips came in since I last looked! I use my phone a lot and it's hard to tell what thread is what, LOL. Thank you all Smile

@Ephiane and @ReverendSpooky your work is amazing. I think I will take your advice because even the right color won't be enough to satisfy me Smile

@Lynkhart, thank you so much for that link!

Thanks for that link as well, @actionfiguremovies2 it's nice to have a backup! Wait, whoo, size 4 fits? Wow!

19Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:28 pm

ravrohan

actionfiguremovies2 wrote:Here's the site I like to use to purchase wigs. For those who might question their lack of hair making skills. Like myself....  

http://www.facetsboutique.com/Size-4_c_13.html

Thank you sooo much. Now my holy monk won't have to look like a monk. Very Happy

20Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:25 pm

MerylAkiba

Hi, here is a method I am using. The head I am using is a KT005 and a Asia Vampirella head. To remove the hair scalp, you have to use extremely hot water in a thick mug method(not boiling stove in a pot) I use the water from the Keurig
Question about hair swapping Qx9Vc8f

Ebay sells wig scalps. I bought the green one from here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-Scale-Woman-Hair-Wig-3-0-NEW-Multi-Colors-For-12-Female-Head-Sculpt-USA/273334563918?hash=item3fa402744eⓂme0mc6fd_J8VnRaZntr7lTw:rk:2🇵🇫0

The white hair is from the Superduck  Automata

Question about hair swapping OBAddhz

Question about hair swapping Qunpoa7

I had to make a dome out of hot glue to secure the head for support. Also the hot glue when cooled is removable from the Phicen peg. I didn't want it to be permanent because I may want to switch the hair style to a different character head sometime in the future
Question about hair swapping LPr05Hp

Question about hair swapping CvRfqY8

Here is a gap. the hair hides it, but you may use apoxie instead of the hot glue to cover the seams if you want a permanent format.

Question about hair swapping 4gxUECl

I'm thinking about making her as a medusa/ mercenary arch-villain for Tbleague Athena
Question about hair swapping L2fcRlL

21Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:00 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That’s awesome, Meryl. Excellent tip.

22Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:22 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I second Stryker -- very nicely done and thanks for the explanation and photos.

23Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:28 am

Peaches

Peaches
Excellent @MerylAkiba! I'm realizing we have a lot of options, I never would have guessed! I can't wait for my heads to come in!!!

24Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:15 am

ravrohan

Thanks for that Very Happy So many heads I liked that I didn't want the hair for, or vice versa.

25Question about hair swapping Empty Re: Question about hair swapping Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:58 pm

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
That's super! Looks great!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum